Working with Navy

Did you ever read this post from awhile ago?

If not I’ll sum it up for you. I was going to a wedding and I didn’t realize my dress, that I thought was black, was in fact navy blue. Therefore: it awkwardly clashed with my black shoes.

But I loved the dress. And I wanted to wear it with leggings in the winter. So I tracked down some navy blue leggings from H&M and threw this outfit together.

Pockets!

(doesn’t the dress totally look black?)

I have had this little halfsies sweater for about 3 years. I haven’t worn it in about 2 years, but for some reason I held onto it. But it completed this outfit nicely. What you can’t see is the straps are made of that same gold color of the sweater.

I know, I know. The dress looks black. It’s navy. I SWEAR. And my boots? About $30.00 from Macy’s in the fall. With a small wedge and slightly slouchy look, they are perfectly casual.

I also bought some new lipstick. I usually settled for my Soft Pink from Sonia Kashuk. But after seeing a bold lip on my skin tone, I thought I could punch up the color a bit for winter.
I’m wearing Color Sensational in Mauvilous Shine by Maybelline. It’s pink but not too pink.

What do you think? Do you like the pink?

What about the dress? Does it pass the test?

So many rhymes in so little time.

::too much coffee::

Comments

1. vallybrr says

I know this frustration. The color of the dress is probably called “ink”. I have 2 dresses in this color and have the same issues.
    You put real navy next to it, and it looks black. Put black next to it and it looks navy. I’ve found that it works best with a sort of charcoal color. I used charcoal tights and it seemed to even out in my mind. Try it! I love seeing the outfits you put together.

2. wendy says

seriously love your site. now all the ladies at my church are wearing their bobby pins correctly! btw, hate when navy looks black. i agree that an ‘ink’ color looks great with charcoal gray that way you’re safe either way! keep on rockin the great outfits and hair!

3. Anonymous says

I love the pink! And I just received the perfect pink lip gloss in my first Birchbox! I’m feeling inspired for our Christmas Eve party :) Merry Christmas!!
    Rachel

4. Anonymous says

I have been in a “have to wear lipstick” mode lately. I love it! Never was a fan before but happy you are experimenting w it too bc it is now a must in my routine!! I love navy and have some shoes that are navy w colored beads on them. Kind of country lookin and real cute w jeans. I bought them thinking they were black and didn’t notice for years lol Your dress is super cute and I bet no one noticed it was navy w black shoes :)
    -Amy-

It looks black to me! I agree with Lia. Try sheer navy tights. And the Mauvilous? Please. It’s gorgeous on you. Unfortunately, I’m too tan for reds and pinks, so I always have a nude lip. Oh, to have beautiful fair skin like yours!

Love the lip color. I finally got the courage to go bold this weekend when we were in NYC and wore Mac’s Viva Glam, a very rich red. It was fun, and festive. Merry Christmas!

You always look great. Thanks for all of your fun tips. I wore my hair in the chic updo yesterday. Loved it! I’m glad you post so often on your blog. I look forward to it.
    Love the lip color.

Your makeup and hair is always so perfect!! I love it. The outfit though? I love but would probably try with sheer or tan tights. That would make it super cute!! Happy Holidays!

I love your lipstick! I’m a sucker for pinks, and since you wore that red lipstick, i’m now considering doing that too since i’m very light skin like you, and blue eyed! Like the dress, but I agree with others, i’d prob. wear it with a more sheer tight in a neutral shade…Think it might not be so WHOA, and maybe a little less noticeable. Merry Christmas to your family! Love your blog!

Definately looks black. So I agree with you there. And the lips look awesome! I love your style! So cute! It’s wonderful that you always keep us updated with pictures and that you always ask for opinions, as if you don’t always look fabulous! ;) Keep the posts coming!

You look way cute, and the dress does look black for sure, but I totally believe you that it’s blue, I’ve had that happen to me before too! Now that I’ve found this fun happy place for hair tips, I’m way excited!!

12. Anonymous says

I love the half french twist. It is so easy and so much prettier than the way I was wearing my hair half up before. :) And I love following your blog. Thanks for all the helpful hair posts!

Bethany
    bakdavis@gmail.com

13. Anonymous says

Love the outfit and the hair is a perfect compliment. You mentioned that your photos come from a Nikon d5000….which setting do you use and lens

Kate! You look great! I love the bolder lip colors on you. You need color girl. Also, I love love that dress! Your outfit is cute and to be honest you could definitely wear sheer charcoal, navy or even (gasp) black tights with it!

15. Anonymous says

To me the leggings look too blue and too thick as well….the dress looks great with the boots but definitely tights or sheerer hose in black, ink blue, or perhaps the charcoal some people have mentioned. The pink lipstick is very pretty and a much better choice for your coloring than the red was…anything that keeps drawing your eye to it is too bold to be elegant or chic.

16. Anonymous says

I would just ignore whether it’s black or blue by not repeating either color and going with something that would look fantastic with either. I like the idea of kelly green tights and sweater. The neutral boots would still work great.

I have learned soooo much from your blog. Thank you. One question. When I curl my hair with a curling iron ,my wants to flip up. I have used a 1 inch and a 1 1/4 inch iron. Both ways my hair stil wants to flip up.
    Any ideas ?