The High Pony Hair Tutorial

I shared this photo on Instagram lately and was met with a few comments asking for a tutorial! I filmed just that and am sharing how to achieve this high, textured pony today! There are a few minutes of prep required to achieve the volume and texture but other than that it’s a very straight forward tutorial.

It’s best for mid-length or longer, and while I do use one weft of a hair extension in the video, you are certainly not required to do so.

Products + Tools: Amika Got Grit Dry Texture Paste, Amika Un.Done Volume & Texture Spray, Amika Fluxus Touchable Hairspray, Blax Clear Hair Elastics, Cricket 8.5 inch Comb, Madewell Whisper Cotton V-Neck Pocket Tee, HoneyCat Harmony Interlocking Circle Necklace, Madewell Stembend Earrings

P.S. If you are a low ponytail kind of gal, you’ll love this tutorial!

1. Posted August 26, 2019

I love the high ponytail do – it was one of my favourite styles to sport back in high school! Love the way you left your bangs down too! Very cute ❤️✨

2. Kaitlyn says
    Posted August 26, 2019

Can you do a post about thinning hair? I have naturally very fine textured hair; however, recently I have started noticing that it is getting thinner. I can see some bald spots especially when I wear it up in a pony. Can you recommend anything for that? Do I need to get treatments? Hair extensions? HELP!!! Thank you 🙂

3. Michele says
    Posted August 26, 2019

I love this! I’m a recovering bang wearer and find myself able to wear my hair up more. I think my hair may be too long right now for this, but I’ll give it a try!

I saw that you got the Amika flat iron in your fabfitfun box. I did, too, thinking it OSullivan be an upgrade from my Conair cheapy one I’ve had and is on its last leg. What are your thoughts on this flat iron? I, not super impressed and found it leaves a lot of indents when I try to curl using it. Maybe my hair is nuts too long for the flat iron method (mid back)? Maybe I’m clamping too tight? Just wondering if you’ve had a chance to assess the stuff in your box yet

4. Angela says
    Posted August 26, 2019

I recently started using a texture spray for my updos and it does make a huge difference. Great tips as usual!

Angela at Blush & Pearls

5. Posted August 26, 2019

This is such a sweet style – now if only my hair were a littttle bit longer!

K A T E L A T E L Y || fashion & lifestyle blog

6. AA says
    Posted August 26, 2019

Yay so happy to so a new tutorial! Thanks!

7. Janet Volpi says
    Posted August 26, 2019

Where did you purchase those hair extensions in this video ?

Posted August 26, 2019

The link is in the blog post!

8. Jami says
    Posted August 26, 2019

I love this pony and I think it would be good for “dirty” hair days.

9. Kathy says
    Posted August 26, 2019

What do you suggest for hair extensions? Very new to me but considering something as my hair is thin and flat and I curl it a lot.

Posted August 27, 2019

I’ve had a good experience with Barefoot Blonde Hair!

10. Kaushar says
    Posted August 27, 2019

Really pretty hair style with good explanation. Thank you for the tutorial.

11. Janna says
    Posted August 27, 2019

What shampoo and conditioner are you currently using?

12. Kate says
    Posted August 28, 2019

Love this look, and you explained it so well!! Thanks so much for sharing!!

-Kate

13. Posted August 28, 2019

Kate, a bazillion years ago a ponytail tutorial you did changed how I wear a pony if it’s not a gym day. It was the one where you sort of “stabbed” a bobby pin in to the pony and then pushed it down against the scalp. My hair is so thick and heavy and this is the only way I get a non-flopsy ponytail. I still do this!

14. Susan Walters says
    Posted August 29, 2019

What kind of hairbans are you using? I found your website on YouTube and then started following your blog and IG. I’ve had 17 surgeries in 4 years and this caused my hair to fall out and remaining hair looked like pine straw. I started adding your suggested products along with my VERB products. Then I started using your blow drying on med heat tip plus wait until your hair is mostly air dry. Never could do beachy waves until your tutorial. Love! Makeup….I like how you use sephora products and then use Walgreens products. Your makeup wear tutorials for day to night are so easily reproducible! Kate if I’m ever in your neck of the woods, may I buy you a drink? I’m obsessed with your tutorials and I love you IG stories of your mom life vs work mom! Everyone can relate. One more thing before I finish because I’m starting to sound like a stalker. Of course not, that’s ridiculous! 🤣😂 I’m excited to tell you how much you’ve changed my life. My hair is now healthy and shiny! So thank you very much!