How to Look Awake and Refreshed (when you aren’t!!)

I was recently hit with a horrible cold, cough, fever, and sinus issue and while I was still dealing with the lost voice that you’ll hear during the video, I’m feeling about 90% better. Sometimes when you are sick, though, the show must go on, and I wanted to share a quick demo of how I try to look awake, refreshed, and rested even when I’m not with the help of makeup.

The 3 main areas I focus on are brightness around my eyes, hydration all over my face, and my blush color. If you are interested in watching a full makeup tutorial, click here, otherwise watch the video below to learn my tips for how to look REFRESHED when you are sick.

always forget to drink enough water when I’m under the weather and my skin tells the story! Doubling up on moisturizer or using a hydrating spray will help parched skin! I like using a brightening corrector under my eye ANYWAY to combat dark circles but I make sure not to skip that step especially when I’m sick. I shared two of my favorites in the video but ultimately went with Becca Under Eye Brightening Corrector.

Lastly, the pinkest watermelon pink blush I own is what I’ll wear on my cheeks. It infuses a very faux healthy glow onto the main area of my face and helps me feel vibrant and alive!

I linked up all the products that I used below!

Products Used:

Bobbi Brown Vitamin Enriched Face Base – deeply, deeply moisturizing!

MAC Paint Pot in Soft Ochre – my go-to eyeshadow primer

Becca Under Eye Brightening Corrector (light to medium) OR Bobbi Brown Corrector (porcelain peach)– both are great for correcting dark purple or blue shadows under your eyes

Tarte Amazonian Clay blush in Blushing Bride – perfectly Barbie pink

Charlotte Tilbury Filmstar Bronze and Glow– definitely a splurge but dang it if it isn’t absolutely beautiful on the skin.

Urban Decay Morning After (sheer)– a long time love!

Becca Skin Love Foundation in Cashmere – this foundation is great for dry skin, it hydrates and looks glowy

Physicians Formula Butter Bronzer – smells like coconut and looks natural on the skin.

Benefit Roller Lash Mascara – my favorite mascara

Charlotte Tilbury Magic Away Concealer in shade 2 – a brightening and hydrating concealer for blemishes or under the eyes

Benefit Nudes eyeshadow palette– a great all-around eyeshadow palette

Benefit Goof Proof Eyebrow Pencil – this looks very close to my natural hair color, and is great for a natural looking eyebrow

Urban Decay 24/7 eyeliner in Demolition– this liner can be smudged at first but then sets in place after about 30 seconds or so

Questions about my jewelry? Read this post!

In this post:

1. Posted January 31, 2019

Haha, I really needed this post, Kate! Though the last thing I feel like doing when I’m dead tired is putting on makeup… gotta power through the sleepiness! 😛

2. Jen says
    Posted January 31, 2019

You’ve been sick and Emily’s sleep schedule has been changing. I would love an update on your skincare routine because it doesn’t show. I’ve got a little one and I turn 30 this year so I feel like it’s time to get an actual routine going.

3. Amandra says
    Posted January 31, 2019

Wow that is one expensive face! Seems all one needs to do to appear “together” is spend spend spend. Thanks for being so relatable by using one or two of the drugstore products you have touted and then discarded 🙄

Posted January 31, 2019

That’s simply not true. Just because I used particular products in this post doesn’t mean you are required to purchase them or use them in order to get the same look. I shared 3 things to major on, as typed in the post and mentioned in the video. The take away from this post was to share how focusing on those 3 things can help you look awake and refreshed.
      ALSO I used a drugstore bronzer in the video, but you may have missed that.

• Rebekah says
      Posted January 31, 2019

I really don’t understand the need to post these negative comments. I can’t imagine you would say something so rude to someone’s face. If you think Kate is unrelatable, you aren’t paying attention. Follow her on Instagram if you’d like to get to know the person you’re bashing.

• Missy says
      Posted February 14, 2019

Amanda, I sure hope your day was a little bit better knowing you ruined another’s day with your hateful comment. If you don’t like what you’re seeing or reading move on to someone else’s blog.

4. Allie says
    Posted January 31, 2019

Pink blush, what a great tip! Thank you!! I keep getting colds so I’ll have tonitilize this to look more awake! xAllie

5. Judy S says
    Posted January 31, 2019

Wow. Rude, Amandra.

6. Eeva says
    Posted January 31, 2019

What is the name of your nailpolish?

7. Angela says
    Posted January 31, 2019

Yes! Blush, concealer and water are a must when I’m barely conscious. I find a good facial massage around my eyes also helps de-puff them.

Angela at Blush & Pearls

8. Kendra Lutz says
    Posted January 31, 2019

Your hair looks amazing in the first photo, what did you use to get the waves? Curling iron or wand?

Posted January 31, 2019

A curling iron 🙂

9. Anita says
    Posted January 31, 2019

This is so helpful! Thank you.
    Also, as per one of your links last week, I tried primer on my under eye area before concealer and found it worked very well.
    This is information moms need!! So thank you very much.

10. Posted January 31, 2019

Good blush is essential!

11. Michelle Petermann says
    Posted February 1, 2019

What lipstick are you wearing?

12. Posted February 2, 2019

I’m dying to try the Butter Bronzer. We don’t have Physicians Formula here in the UK but it’s definitely a brand I’d like to try this year xx

Gemma Etc. ❤️

13. Heather says
    Posted February 2, 2019

Do you happen to know what lipstick you have on in this post? It’s not listed under products used but it looks great.

14. Melanie says
    Posted February 3, 2019

Hi I love your make up a lot. It fits perfectly to your teint. You are a big make up artist. I will buy all of those products for sure.

best wish
    Melly from Wimpernverlängeung Salzburg

15. Leslie says
    Posted February 3, 2019

Could I wear the Becca eye brightener alone? I don’t wear foundation or powder on my face of any kind, but at age 37 it’s time I give my eye area a little help. Maybe CC or BB cream is the answer, or a sheer foundation that I could blend out.

16. Posted February 8, 2019

Nice picks!

17. Catherine Kling says
    Posted February 17, 2019

Hi Michelle…she mentions it in the video (Urban Decay in Morning After) but here’s the link! 🙂