No Bake Lactation Balls

I mentioned in this blog post that I tried my best to boost and maintain my milk supply for breastfeeding Emily right out of the gate. I wrote all about my past breastfeeding experience in this post and I always struggled with supply until now.

There are so many contributors to a women’s breastmilk supply and I’m most definitely NOT qualified to provide any medically sound advice however I did want to share a lactation ball recipe that has ingredients that are said to help boost or support milk supply!

That being said, these are simply delicious even for those of us who may not be lactating 😉

No Bake Lactation Balls

1 cup old fashioned oats

1/2 cup natural peanut butter

1/3 cup honey

1/2 tsp salt

1 tsp vanilla

1/2 cup ground flaxseed

1/2 cup chocolate chunks

Other optional add in’s are Brewers Yeast, Coconut flakes, or nuts. You may need to add a bit more peanut butter and honey if you are adding more dry ingredients into the mix to ensure they will be sticky enough to roll into balls.

1. Combine all ingredients in a bowl, stir together. The mixture will be quite sticky and that is good!
  2. Place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
  3. Remove from fridge and roll into small balls, a little smaller than a golf ball.
  4. Store in the fridge and enjoy!

A few helpful tips:

-Don’t leave the mixture in the fridge for more than 30 minutes before rolling into balls. It will become too firm and be difficult to roll into balls.

-If you don’t have an adjustable measuring cup like this, get one! It’s so helpful when measuring out honey, molasses or peanut butter. It scrapes down the sides for you making sure your measuring is accurate when following a recipe!

1. Posted September 18, 2018

These sound delicious all right, even for those of us who don’t have kids! They seem really nutritious too. 🙂

2. Melanie says
    Posted September 18, 2018

These sound great! I used to store them I’m Tupperware in the freezer, to keep my husband from eating them all when I was nursing!

3. Carrie says
    Posted September 18, 2018

You read my mind! I just searched Pinterest last night for lactation cookie recipes and voila you write about this! Thanks, I’ll try them out!

4. Katie says
    Posted September 18, 2018

Hello! How often does Emily eat during the day? Do you feel like these help stretch feedings? Thank you!!!

Posted September 18, 2018

I’m not sure what you mean by stretching a feeding but she nurses 5 times a day.

5. Sarah O says
    Posted September 18, 2018

I also used a recipe similar to this, but I’d spoon the mixture into mini cupcake papers and stick in the fridge. They’d solidify perfectly, and were delicious! I’ve even made them since because my 7yo son asks for them sometimes. They are delicious!

6. kait says
    Posted September 18, 2018

Throw in a cup of coconut! GAME CHANGER!

7. Megan says
    Posted September 18, 2018

Can you eat these if not breastfeeding? Lol I’m sure you can. They sound good!

Yes! I said that in the post 🙂

8. Whitney says
    Posted September 18, 2018

What Brewers Yeast are you using??

9. Siggy says
    Posted September 18, 2018

1 tsp of salt seems like a lot. Is that a typo? I just made these and they’re super salty! Probably because PB already has salt, no?

Posted September 18, 2018

I use that much but if it’s too much salt simply add less!

10. Susie says
    Posted September 18, 2018

If I add brewers yeast, how much would you suggest adding?

11. Lacey Vander Plaatsq says
    Posted September 18, 2018

Just watching your insta -stories. You can get brewers yeast a.k.a. nutritional yeast at Whole Foods or any health food store. Also, tastes AMAZING on popcorn. Makes it taste like Cheesy popcorn without the calories. 😀 So glad that your family is safe.

great to know!

• Gineva says
      Posted September 19, 2018

Nutritional yeast and brewers yeast are similiar yeasts but come from different sources.

12. Nicolle says
    Posted September 18, 2018

These look so good. How long will they keep in the fridge? Do you suggest freezing them as well?

Posted September 19, 2018

I’ve kept them in the fridge for about a week! I have not tried freezing them!

13. Carolyn says
    Posted September 18, 2018

So we have to put ground flaxseed? I can’t have nuts or seeds I have diverticulitis.

Posted September 19, 2018

Yes it calls for ground flaxseed!

14. Nicole Schildt says
    Posted September 18, 2018

Do you include Brewer’s Yeast in the ones you have been making? I have made lactation cookies with Brewer’s Yeast and I was not found of the taste. :/

If the ones you make are helping with your supply without the Brewer’s Yeast, I’m excited to try them!

15. Cat says
    Posted September 19, 2018

Hi Kate, I really enjoy your blog. I’m a good deal older than you, but I *try* to stay aware of trends and to not become a curmudgeon! I don’t know if this tip might help you with milk supply, but you could consider it: I breastfed all 3 of my sons for about a year each. The best way for me to maintain milk supply was to nurse often, or if the boys weren’t ready, I pumped milk at a 2 to 3 hour interval. The baby’s demand (or your pumping schedule) decides the breasts’ supply. The more often the breasts are emptied, the more milk they will produce. Eating nutritiously, remaining extremely well hydrated, and resting a lot also helped me. I would personally avoid the salt and chocolate in this recipe, as the sodium is not good for both mother and baby — and the caffeine in the chocolate may agitate baby. (I learned both lessons the hard way on that one!!)

16. Posted September 19, 2018

experienced take legendary milk, natural supplements!!! https://www.legendairymilk.com

17. Inga says
    Posted September 27, 2018

Lovely recipe! Simple and easy to make, yet so delicious…