Seamless foundation + sheer pink lipstick

hourglass foundation

foundation, lipstick

I grabbed a new foundation to try at Sephora the other night and I’m very pleasantly surprised by how much I like it! It’s the Vanish Seamless Finish Foundation (in shade Shell) and it’s the first stick foundation I’ve used in a long time. . .or perhaps ever?! It looked easy and I wanted to see what the coverage was like.

I also wanted to compare the blending of using a brush versus using the beauty blender.

So, let’s begin. Here I am with eye makeup done, but nothing else is on my face.

hourglass foundation-2

The foundation just slides right onto your skin with ease. It’s creamier than I expected. I thought there would be a little drag with it, but it’s just melts right on.

hourglass foundation-3

On the first side, I used my real techniques expert face brush to blend the foundation in, and it worked really nicely! My first impression was that it was pretty sheer, but I could immediately tell that it would easily be build able and blend in really well with the skin. It vanished, in the right way, but still left me feeling like my face had evened out.

hourglass foundation-4

On the other side, I used a slightly damp beauty blender and pressed the foundation in. I tried not to drag the beauty blender against my face but I’m so used to working with a brush I found myself doing that a bit.

hourglass foundation-5

After I had blended all the initial foundation in, I did add more to my nose and my upper lip to cover my freckles just a touch more. The sun really brings them out in those areas, and I feel like my foundation looks much better and more even when I pay a little extra attention to those parts.

To finish, I filled in my brows, applied a bit of light contour and blush, and then put on this lovely lipstick.

hourglass foundation-6

The finish was natural and pretty darn matte as well. I expected a bit more shine because it was so creamy, but it set like a powder. The areas that I applied a second layer, around my nose and above my lip, remained covered and matched the rest of my skin perfectly.

hourglass foundation-8

And here is a close up for no reason other than to let you see how seamless the foundation blends in!

hourglass foundation-9

It’s great for travel, clean, and easy to use, and I’m really glad I bought it. One downside would be that you just swipe it on your face, so if you are blemish-prone you could be transferring junk back onto your skin that you would otherwise avoid with a pump foundation, but in you could also just spread it onto your hand and apply it like that too.

Hourglass, like usual, you killed it. (this is not sponsored — sponsored posts are always disclosed.)

Check out more of my favorite foundations here and some loose powder options here!

1. Fran says
    Posted July 27, 2016

Such a pretty daytime look! Is there a broad range of shades? I have both super pale skin and lots of freckles! Thanks x

Posted July 27, 2016

you can find the entire range at Sephora!

2. Amanda says
    Posted July 27, 2016

How do you just keep getting prettier?? Lol! Thirty looks good on you!

ha! Thank you! I think it’s good makeup 🙂

3. Jena says
    Posted July 27, 2016

I always want to try stick foundations, but I have oily skin and I’ve heard that the waxy-texture can clog pores. If it were less, I’d be more inclined to give it a shot. Thanks for your insight, though!

4. Jen says
    Posted July 27, 2016

It looks amazing! Which way do you think it applied better? Or which way would you suggest to apply it?

Posted July 27, 2016

I think you’ll get fuller coverage with a brush and lighter, but still buildable coverage, with a beauty blender.

5. Liz says
    Posted July 27, 2016

I am in search of a new foundation! However, my skin is “more mature” than yours! (? almost 57!) If I am deciding between the Charlotte Tilbury Magic and this Hourglass, which do you think would be better? My skin is in good condition (thank you, Retin A) but I do like a good coverage. Thank you, Kate! And by the way, I like your freckles!

Posted July 27, 2016

You may find that you get better, fuller coverage with this!

6. Muchele says
    Posted July 27, 2016

What kind of foundation ( powder, pump, stick, ceam) do you find to be the fastest to apply? Working on on a mission to look fab with limited time (and, let’s face it….patience!)

Posted July 27, 2016

The stick is pretty fast! I think it actually may be the fastest! And cleanest!

7. Andrea says
    Posted July 27, 2016

What shade is the lipstick? Looks so pretty on you! I might have to try that foundation too.

8. Susan says
    Posted July 27, 2016

Kate do you use a powder for shine after your foundations

9. Kelsey says
    Posted July 27, 2016

I was recently thinking I have never seen Kate use a beauty blender…I wonder if she is a fan?!

And here you are using one!

10. Alyssa says
    Posted July 27, 2016

Kate, what is your skin type? I often wonder about people’s skin types when they talk about foundations they love. Mine tends to be quite dry!

11. Megan says
    Posted July 27, 2016

Hey, Kate! Just wanted to say thank you for the way you linked the products in this post. You showed a picture or named products specifically instead of saying something like, “I bought this [affiliate link], and it’s awesome!” I don’t mind affiliate links in general – I think of them as referral fees almost – but I hate when bloggers hide them in vague text so you’re unsure if you’re clicking on a product link or a magazine article or a funny video. I’ve complained about this on your blog before, so I just wanted to say I appreciate the way you did it in this post. Thanks!

12. Andrina T says
    Posted July 27, 2016

How long did the foundation last? I have trouble with them sliding off by mid-day.

13. Andrea says
    Posted July 27, 2016

Hourglass makes the most beautiful products! I’ve seen a few bloggers review this foundation, and I love that it’s in a stick. Makes it easy to carry around and travel with!

14. Candice says
    Posted July 27, 2016

This looks so handy! I like the fact it comes I a stick

Beauty Candy Loves

15. Katie says
    Posted July 27, 2016

First of all the first photo in this post with just your eye make up done, you are gorgeous!

How long do you expect the stick the last? Did it use a lot for the first application? I’m all about bang for your buck (especially with pricier items)

Thanks!

16. Posted July 27, 2016

I don’t normally wear foundation…I’m more of a BB cream and powder kind of gal but this definitely makes me want to try foundation again!!!

xo

17. Posted July 27, 2016

You really should give the Urban Decay Naked Skin Foundation a try. I tend to prefer a light-medium coverage, so I use one pump and apply with my fingers; but, I’ve also used a brush (the big Tarte Kabuki) and used one and a half pumps and gotten much fuller coverage. It sets like a powder, is far and a way the most blendable foundation I’ve used, and has an incredible range of colors! (“Round” numbers [1,2,3,4] are yellow based and the “half” numbers (1.5, 2.5] are more neutral/pink based.) I’ve heard great things about the Naked concealer also but I can’t bring myself to buy it.

Well, after a long-winded elaboration on a seemingly simple point, I just want to say:

Try the Urban Decay Naked Foundation.

I think you’ll love it! 🙂

18. Aimee says
    Posted July 27, 2016

Your makeup looks very pretty. Is that foundation only available at Sephora? I don’t have a Sephora near me and wouldn’t know what shade to order online.
    Aimee

• Amanda says
      Posted July 27, 2016

JC Penney sells Sephora as well!

19. Torey says
    Posted July 27, 2016

Wow, it looks amazing. I love that it sets like a powder. I really need to try this!
    xo

20. Amy says
    Posted July 27, 2016

I’ve not yet tried a stick foundation. When I was around 15 the 3 in 1 maybelline stick was released and I looked orange hahaha, Trip to Sephora is on the cards

Amy | http://www.yankified.com

21. Posted July 27, 2016

This looks amazing on you, thank you for sharing! I would not call myself a makeup lover by any means but finding me techniques is always interesting 🙂
    xox Tess | Sequins are the New Black

22. sahara says

I should try this its perfect<3

xo,

23. Debbie says
    Posted July 28, 2016

I love Hourglass products, they’re all AMAZING!! I’m currently using their colour correcting primers and don’t even need foundation for “normal” days, they’re that good. And their Ambient light powders are to die for – they give a glorious glow but without shimmer. But you look so lovely that I’m tempted to give this foundation a go for days when I feel that I need a little bit “more”.
    Also, how do you get your hair to wave like that?? Mine is a very similar cut and style to yours, but mine never looks like that and I wish it would!!!

24. Kara says
    Posted July 28, 2016

Hi Kate,

Normally I don’t comment with a question like this and get annoyed at people who as about products that you have linked to. But due to living in Australia your Sephora links don’t always work due to the differences in ranges at Sephora in Australia compared to the USA, can you please detail which lipstick it is that have linked to so I can see if I can get it in Australia?

Thanks!

Posted July 28, 2016

Sure that is no problem! It’s the Urban Decay Vice lipstick in Brat!

25. Sophie says
    Posted July 28, 2016

Loved this post!
    I post every Monday and Thursday, I would love it if you checked out my blog!

26. Posted July 28, 2016

Such a pretty shade of pink that lipstick is! It looks beautiful on you!
    ~Woodlands and Wildflowers~

27. Melissa says
    Posted July 28, 2016

Hi Kate! This foundation looks like something I’d be interested in but I certainly have more acne-prone skin. Do you think something like a swipe or spritz of alcohol on the stick after each use is something that would help with bacteria transfer or do you think it’s better to just avoid the stick?

28. Claire says
    Posted July 29, 2016

Hi Kate- I love the necklace you are wearing. Can you share where you got it? Thanks!

• Jenn says
      Posted July 30, 2016

Ditto on the necklace details! It is gorgeous!

• Julie says
        Posted August 14, 2016

Three-peat on the necklace compliment. I love it! Can you share with us where you found it? Thank you! Love your blog.

29. Tami says
    Posted July 29, 2016

Your hair looks absolutely gorgeous in this post!

30. Maggie says
    Posted July 30, 2016

I just tried the hour glass foundation stick as well and I have not heard one bad thing about it! It may not be oily girl friendly but if set right it truly is a wonderful product!

31. Sonya says
    Posted August 4, 2016

I would love to know where you purchased the necklace also!

32. Kim M says
    Posted August 5, 2016

On another note… is your top the banana republic one you mentioned in your next post?

33. Angie says
    Posted August 5, 2016

This is off topic, but Kate, could you do a tutorial using the Anastacia Beverly Hills pallette that you used for contour for this look? I bought it a couple months ago and would love to follow a tutorial from you!

34. Posted August 13, 2016

You’re just as pretty without any makeup. However, if one has worn foundation all their lives we just dont feel completely dressed without it so I will try this. But the real point in commenting is to forward words of wisdom. I was once beautiful and never knew or appreciated it. Was even told “you need a bodyguard”…and still not bad for an old gal! But point is, know you are pretty, appreciate it and RELISH in it.

35. Posted August 13, 2016

kate!! your “before” skin is so beautiful!! i love all your foundation reviews because i hate mine (but keep using it??) but seriously, you are so beautiful with and without makeup! 🙂