Small Biz Loves
Beauty Gift Sets: Waste or Worth it?
Well, shopping season is upon us and while I’m confident you are coming across a pile of Gift Guides, I hope to offer you something a little bit different.
As a former small business owner (I used to co-own Elisabeth Ashlie Jewelry with my sister), I’m a huge supporter of makers who are committed to using their talents to provide both fantastic and high quality items to the world.
As a blogger, I’m grateful to often be on the receiving end of goods from small businesses in an effort to spread the word about their products. And while I could easily have listed a ton more stores, I spent some time thinking about my absolute favorite things from small businesses. I thought to myself, “If I have to buy a gift for someone, where is the first place I’ll look?”
Before I get into it, know that this isn’t sponsored in any way. I e-mailed the shop owners to let them know I was including them on my list, and some kindly offered promo codes as a ‘thank you’, but otherwise this is a completely genuine list of my favorite shops!
A few of my favorites:
1. Allisa Jacobs. I remember coming across Allisa’s etsy shop years and years ago. Maybe 4 years ago? I love her fabric choices, and her quality cannot be beat. Other than having a few bags of hers, I also have her Portfolio Organizer, which fits an iPad Mini perfectly! Use promo code “smallthings10” to go $10 off your order of $30 or more until 11/29.
2. Fotostrap. When Jordan and I hosted Type and Click in the spring, we had the pleasure of working with Fotostrap on providing a swanky giveaway for one of the attendees! Fotostrap kindly offered Jordan and I a strap as well. It is very strong and durable, and it was nearly impossible to choose which color I wanted. They offer monograming as well! On top of creating a quality camera strap, they also donate 10% to Fotolanthropy from each purchase! A camera strap is one of those things that may be hard for a friend or family member to justify (since a DSLR often comes with one), but it’s such a nice personal touch that I’m sure the recipient would love.
3. Better Life Bags. Rebecca, the founder of BLB, has become a friend of mine and the only thing I really dislike about her is how far away she lives. We both love Sour Patch Kids and if that fact alone doesn’t foster a life long friendship, I don’t know what does. I own 3 BLB’s, and I have to say my latest diaper bag is my favorite! The bags are fantastic quality, customizable, and the heart of why she does what she does makes it even more special. If you want to order a custom bag for Christmas, the deadline is Friday 11/28!
4. The Dotted Poppy. I couldn’t write about my favorite shops without including my mom’s shop in the mix! After developing a love for making jewelry after helping my sister and I with a busy holiday season, we encouraged her to start her own shop! It’s fun to see her grow and develop her business, and she always pays close attention to quality and style of her jewelry. Use promo code “15OFFST” for 15% off your order until 12/5!
5. ThimblePress. I found ThimblePress on Instagram after drooling over the National Stationary Show hashtag several months ago. I have a notepad obsession, and love the creativity and uniqueness of her products. I often fill my cart with products from Thimblepress, but then see that I already have about 10 notebooks that need to be used up before I can justify buying more. I basically use 1 sheet of paper per note though so it won’t be long before I need new ones! Use promo code “small things” to get 15% off your order total until 12/31/14
6. Latchy Catchy. I found latchy catchy on Etsy a long time ago, and bought one to put on a closet door to the room where the cats’ litter box is. And then I had David and I found that I wanted one for a few more doors in my house. They are one of those products that was created to fulfill a specific need, and you don’t even realize how perfect they are until you have the need for one. I’ve learned that David is a pretty light sleeper, so the simple clicking of the door in the latch would wake him but the latchy catchy now allows me access without disturbing his sleep! Use promo code “sweetdreams” for 10% off today only!
7. Elisabeth Ashlie. My former business partner, and sister, has done exceptionally well with growing the brand and expanding it into something bigger than I could have imagined! It’s not unusual for her to get a list of earrings that I want her to bring the next time she visits! If time allowed, I would so love to have continued to be a part of it, but watching her take it and run with it is fulfilling in and of itself. Use promo code “smallthings10” to get 10% off your order today only!