High Five for Friday
Rainy Day Navy
It just felt right to link up for High Five for Friday this week. After all, I’m in the same state as my sister again!
ALL IS RIGHT IN THE WORLD.
I’m visiting her, and my family, this weekend in Chicago + chicagoland area. She and my mom are throwing me a shower, which is very sweet. I can’t wait for it!
It was a busy week, but a good one at that.
1. Many of you said such nice things about my haircut from this post. Thank you! I feel much happier at this length and think I’m going to maintain a mid-length (what I currently am) for probably the rest of my life.
2. I only have 2 more weeks behind the chair in the studio. I don’t think it’s really hit me that this chapter of my life is closing, but perhaps it will when I’m cleaning out the studio. I’m planning on writing a little reflective post on the past 10 years as a hairstylist.
On that same note, I have developed a complex over what I should identify myself as. For 10 years, when someone would ask “what do you do?” I would say, “I’m a hairstylist” and that would naturally lead into a conversation about the worst haircut they ever had.
But now, well in two weeks, I’m no longer “officially” a hairstylist. I mean, I’ll still have my license and all that, but it won’t be my job. My job will be blogger. Until December, when I say I’m a stay at home mom. And while I’ll be blogging still, and that will still be a job, I don’t know if I’ll identify myself as that when I meet a new person.
Sometimes I’ll meet people that have no clue what the blogging world is. And that’s fine, don’t get me wrong, but the reaction I get when I tell them I write a blog is like watching someone tell a joke that you already know won’t be funny.
“ohhh, a blogger? Like, you write a little blog?” asked in a high pitched demeaning tone.
“yes, it’s a hair and beauty blog.” I reply.
“cuuuuuuute. no, that’s cool. My aunt blogs too.” and their eyes give me the ‘up down’.
mmmmm yeah you don’t really get it I think.
I guess for the time being I’ll just say, “I’m a stay at home pregnant lady” and that should be sufficient. OR I could get creative and really freak people out: I stay home and watch cats all day. I’m a cat babysitter 24 hours a day in my home. I’m a housekeeper for a home with a few cats.
That should alienate them enough so they don’t ask any more questions and just accept me for who I am.
3. I carried 24 of the most delicious cupcakes I’ve every tasted from Raleigh to Chicago yesterday. My friend Julia is an incredible, incredible baker and makes these scrumptious treats. My life was forever changed when I sank my teeth into one at my baby shower a few weeks ago.
Time stood still. All the conversation around me went silent. My tastebuds were erupting with joy and shouts of elation. I closed my eyes and savored every moment of that cupcake. And when I returned to earth from this out of body experience, I thought to myself, “that was the best cupcake I have ever eaten”.
My mom had one as well and it took us just about 20 seconds to decide that we needed Julia to make cupcakes for my second baby shower.
She kindly agreed and sent me on my way with perfectly packaged cupcakes that were in mint condition by time I got them to my parent’s home.
Is it a little high maintenance to travel with 24 cupcakes? Sure. But you would do it too if you tried one of these.
4. My parents are very excited for their first grandchild, and my sweet mom set up a tiny nursery/grandchild room in their home.
5. I wrote some articles this week over on babble that you may want to check out:
Am I the only one who doesn’t love this mascara?
Some beauty products that are NOT worth the hype!
How to hide your grey roots between appointments
Have you started thinking about Christmas yet? Here’s a great list of beauty products to buy your sister/friend/mom.
Don’t kill me but I don’t have a tutorial ready for Monday. I’M SORRY. If I travel on a weekend, the opportunity to film goes way, way down. I’ll get one up as soon as I possibly can!
Enjoy your weekend!