The best wedding day advice I ever received was from a client. She told me to pick out a new perfume and begin wearing it on the day of my wedding. Wear it through the honeymoon, and for a few months afterwards. Then, pick out a new fragrance, and only wear my “wedding day” fragrance on anniverseries or special date nights.
Our sense of smell ties us back to our memories with such force. So, now everytime I spray the perfume I wore on my wedding day, I’m taken back to that moment. It’s quite special to me. And I’ve recommended that everyone else do the same thing.
I’ve picked out a few of my favorite fragrances, and ironically my wedding fragrance isn’t pictured. I have it in my wedding box and forgot to get it out. It’s a Bath and Body Works body spray called Carried Away.
I’m fairly sensitive to over-powering smells that are too floral or strong, so I tend to reach for fruity, soft scents.
1. When Allyson and I were in Chicago, we made a quick stop in Sephora. After we checked out, we walked past the fragrance section, and she grabbed this perfume, Gucci Flora Gorgeous Gardenia. She spritzed it on a sample stick, and after she smelled it, she passed it over to me. We both gushed over it instantly. It’s the best perfume I’ve ever smelled. The gardenia isn’t over-powering. It’s a light and feminine.
It comes with a pretty hefty price tag, so once we were back in Raleigh, I went over to Ulta to pick up some makeup. At the check out, I asked if Ulta ever sends out coupons that will work on fragrance purchases. She cashier told me no, and that the only thing I could use is my points.
“What points?” I asked.
“The points you earn from shopping here!” She looked and the reciept and pointed to how much money I had earned to use toward whatever I wanted in the store.
After shopping at Ulta for many years, I had racked up quite a few points! So, since it was the deal of a lifetime, and I couldn’t go another day without smelling like Gorgeous Gardenia, I picked up a bottle and have worn it every day since.
2. Escada Rockin’ Rio is a perfect summer fragrance. It’s tropical and fruity, with a hint of floral. It reminds me of the beach.
3. My mom wears J’adore Dior every once in awhile, and bought this for me a few years ago. I like it, but it’s pretty strong. When I wear it, I have to spray it on the lower half of my body to prevent a headache–yeah, either it’s that strong or I’m that sensitive to smell!
4. Banana Republic W is a great everyday fragrance. Not too floral, and lasts all day.
5. Dolce and Gabana Light Blue is fresh and citrus-y. I bought this for my mom and sister for Christmas.
6. I picked up this Pacifica Tuscan Blood Orange fragrance at Target. The packaging is really cute, and the price could not be beat.
7. The Michael Kors rollerball is a perfect neutral and subtle fragrance. If you don’t wear perfume, or don’t want anything that would be too intense, try this one. I receive compliments every time I wear it.