How to Look your Best on a Zoom Call

It looks like video calls aren’t going anywhere, so find the best tripods, lighting, and practice these few makeup tips to look your best!

Tripods and Lighting

I’ve used tripods for taking photos for years, but more than ever I find myself utilizing my smaller iPhone tripods for quick phone use instead of my larger one for my DSLR camera.

This tripod is great if you need one with a lot of height. It also has a wide base so it’s nice and sturdy.

The small ring light at the top of this tripod is very helpful for lighting your face on video calls. It’s also great for seeing well when you’re doing your makeup, but we’re here to talk about video call gear!

A box light like this is great for adding a lot of light. If you’re working in a dark area, one or two of these would go a long way in providing a full amount of lightness, instead of a spotlight on your face. I have two of these and will set them up in front of me but a little off to the side, aimed at my shoulders, to provide nice fill light! You can see how I light for my videos on this post.

The most sturdy iPhone holder I’ve used so far is this one. It’s not a tripod, it looks more like a paper towel holder. It extends a bit but is certainly not the tallest tripod/iPhone holder that I’ve used. It has a heavy, round base and it never slowly slides down or tips over like some cheaper tripods can sometimes do.

Makeup Tips

When it comes to makeup, there are two products that shouldn’t be skipped: under eye concealer and lip color. Whether you’re a full face of makeup kind of gal, or you like to keep it minimal, faux lighting can be really harsh, so brightening up your under-eye area and giving your lips a wash of color helps your whole face look more awake and rested.

Charlotte Tilbury Magic Away concealer is one of my favorites for brightening the under-eye area! And if you’re looking for a more budget-friendly option try the Maybelline Instant Age Rewind.

I shared a round-up of my favorite pink lipsticks on this post and would recommend any of these formulations, but if you are looking for a more subtle wash of color, try the fresh Sugar Lip Treatments (specifically Rose!)

In this post:

1. Angela says
    Posted September 2, 2020

I look terrible in video so I need to try all these tips!

2. JB says
    Posted September 2, 2020

Can you link the smaller lights shown in main picture – the desk clamp version.

Posted September 2, 2020

The smaller clamp one isn’t very good. I wouldn’t recommend it.

3. Bridget S says
    Posted September 2, 2020

I’ve been meaning to go back and add a comment on the pink lipstick post. I bought two different ones on your recommendation specifically for Zoom and you are so right! One is more pink than I would normally wear, but it has become my go-to for video. They look great on video meetings – they look better than natural. Also, I second the brightener and concealer recommendation. I bought Urban Decays’s brightener and pair with my usual concealer and the camera difference is perfect.

Posted September 2, 2020

I’m so glad to hear that!!

4. Posted September 2, 2020

I love your tips! This was such a great post to read – super relevant! 🙂

5. Dawn says
    Posted September 2, 2020

I feel like my foundation color is much lighter on virtual calls/meetings. I know it’s the right color for me, it photographs lovely. Is there a possibility I need to change my foundation? No one has said anything but that’s how it looks to me.

6. Holly says
    Posted September 2, 2020

Love these tips! Where are your glasses from? Anything special there for blocking blue light?

7. Rosy says
    Posted September 2, 2020

In your photo here, I like the iphone holder. What are the 2 things next to it clipped to the desk? Circle light?

8. Millie says
    Posted September 3, 2020

Need to pick up one of the phone tripods!! Great tips! xx

9. Kaelen says
    Posted September 3, 2020

Ooh, I’m totally going to get one of those standing ring lights. I always look like I’m in some dingy hole when I’m on zoom.

xoKaelen | Darling Marcelle

10. Kate says
    Posted September 4, 2020

Thanks for sharing! Never thought this would be a post I needed, but you shared some great tips!!

-Kate