Primers I’m loving

Just like hair, the products you use to prep the “canvas” make an enormous impact on the final result. If I use smoothing, deeply hydrating shampoo when I wash my hair, I’m going to have a harder time trying to get an airy, bouncy lift to it when I style. In the same way, using a primer to help keep skin issues in check and help your makeup live up to its highest potential is key for a flawless finish, whether you are using a full coverage foundation or not.

Andreea told me that she uses primer as the last part of her skincare routine and I’ve developed that routine as well. I keep my primer by my other skincare, instead of keeping it by my makeup. And if for some reason I’m interrupted and do not do my makeup right away, it doesn’t hurt to have applied primer but then go without foundation.

My skin is more on the dry side so any hydrating primer is the first choice for me. I’ve really loved Laura Mercier Pure Canvas Foundation Hydrating Primer. Also, their newer Pure Canvas Illuminating Primer is a fantastic option for adding luminosity and subtle glow to the skin. It’s my top choice if I’m wearing a medium coverage foundation, which I am more often than not!

Sometimes primers can feel like the unsung hero of your skincare/makeup routine, but Laneige has developed an incredibly hydrating and glowy primer that makes a very, very noticeable difference in how my makeup looks and wears. The Glowy Makeup Serum is slowly becoming one of those products I must have on my “re-purchase” list. And as a beauty blogger who loves to try new things, re-purchases mean that product is at the tip-top of the favorites list. Ironically, it’s not getting glowing (see what I did there) reviews on Sephora’s website. But like any cosmetic or skincare purchase, some things work for me that don’t work for others and vice versa. Like Tarte ShapeTape for example. It seems like every woman on Instagram is obsessed and I found it to be kind of “meh”.

I tried The Liquid Silk Canvas: Featherweight Protective Primer from Tatcha but ended up returning it. It was nice, for sure, but it didn’t make enough of an impact on my skin and makeup longevity to justify the price, in my opinion.

Obviously, the primers I tend to gravitate towards are hydrating and glowy, but if you are trying to combat excess shine or oil, look into Smashbox. Smashbox may have the largest array of different primers based on a number of different factors. The Photo Finish Oil & Shine Control primer is well-loved via the comments on Sephora’s website and would be what I would try first if I was fighting oil!

Is a makeup primer a part of your regular routine?

In this post:

1. Posted May 18, 2020

Packaging on point! Thanks for the recommendations! ❤️✨

2. Bethany says
    Posted May 18, 2020

I have really oily skin with large pore and the absolute 2 best primers I have found (and I’ve tried so many) are the erborian matter primer and the new Laura Mercier matte primer. These both are absolutely amazing!!

3. Amy says
    Posted May 18, 2020

Is there a “drugstore” primer that you feel is equivalent to the Laneige? Not sure a glowy look is what I would like here in TX in summer so I’d like to experiment first before a higher price purchase. Tia

• Felicia says
        Posted May 18, 2020

I’m in Texas too and the Laura Mercier illuminating primer is a very soft natural glow! Simply beautiful indoors and out all day even in the summer!

4. Catherine R. says
    Posted May 18, 2020

If you like a nice glowy primer try Rodial Glow Drops. I have been a matte, full coverage girl my entire makeup life but I’ve really focusing on my skin the past several months. As a result I have moved towards a glowy, sheer makeup look preference. The Rodial drops are absolutely gorgeous!

5. Linda says
    Posted May 18, 2020

Do you apply the primer around your eyes and on your eyelid as well?

Posted May 18, 2020

No, not around the eyes!

6. Deborah says
    Posted May 18, 2020

Thanks so much for the review! I love Laura Mercier. Wondering if you might try the one from Tula any time soon and let us know what you think?

7. Audra says
    Posted May 18, 2020

I have mild rosacea and dry skin so Im looking for a neutralizing primer that hydrates. I havent been impressed with the ‘green’ ones Ive used.

8. Ashley Zustovich says
    Posted May 18, 2020

Hi! I love a primer and I flip between Laura Mercer’s Hydrating Primer and Bobbi Brown’s Face Base — I am assuming both together would be not a good idea?

Also, I have rather large pores and I am finding that my makeup settles SO BAD in my pores where I can see little dots on my face. Any recommendations on how to prevent that? Thanks!

Posted May 18, 2020

You can definitely use both, you’re skin will be super hydrated! Also, try the Porefessional primer by Benefit–it’s specifically made to help hide pores!

• Devin says
      Posted May 18, 2020

Dr. Brandt Pores No More primer is amazing! I actually just tried it based on a recommendation and it truly does help pores!

9. Kristin says
    Posted May 18, 2020

Are there any drugstore primers you would suggest?

10. Felicia W. says
    Posted May 18, 2020

Thanks to everything Kate has taught me, my favorite combo these days is the Laura Mercier Illuminating primer and a dust of Charlotte Tilbury airbrush powder. Gives me a beautiful glow and sheer coverage all day! Would love to find a CREAM primer with SPF that doesn’t cause breakouts. I saw Biossance has a new one!! I hate the velvet feel some primers have.

11. Jill says
    Posted May 18, 2020

There is a Neutrogena product almost hidden behind the luxury brands in the photo (not sure why the only two photos in the post are the same?). Review of that? I noticed some commenters are asking for drugstore recommendations.

12. Kear Anne Simmons says
    Posted May 18, 2020

Are any of these non-comedogenic, and/or generally seen as safe for acne-prone skin? I’ve had terribe luck with primers breaking me out in the past!

Thanks for all the info you share… I love the tone of your blog and IG! It’s very relaxed and welcoming, which is something I appreciate in these crazy times. And as someone looking to start a blog, you’re a great inspiration. So thank you!!

13. Kate says
    Posted May 18, 2020

Any silicone free primers to suggest? So many irritate my skin. There was one by Korres awhile back but hard to find.

14. Posted May 19, 2020

I’m really keen to try La Neige! But my go-to primer is the Smashbox Primerizer. I also have dry skin and it feels just like a moisturiser.

15. Kate says
    Posted May 19, 2020

Thanks for these recs! Do you have an eye primer you recommend?? I can’t find one that really holds the eye makeup in place all day.

16. Posted May 19, 2020

Good to know that works too! It was perfect the first time. I learn so much from you as well! Wow great post.

17. Ashley says
    Posted May 21, 2020

I agree that primer is so important! My complaint is that often make my skin feel really greasy. I just started using ULTRALIGHT DAILY SPF30 BROAD-SPECTRUM SUNSCREEN from Beauty Pie which also says it blurring primer. So far so good!

18. Posted May 21, 2020

Laura Mercier makes amazing primer! It’s my fav.

Genevieve | BlueAugustine.com

19. Jessica says
    Posted May 23, 2020

I have recently been struggling with adding primer after my last skincare step (sunscreen). It kinda disappears. It sticks so much better to “clean” skin. It could just be my sunscreen is on the heavier side (Elta MD). I’ve seen skin care professionals that recommend letting sunscreen “dry” for 20 min – but I just don’t have that kind of time in my day! Any thoughts on when to apply primer?

20. Anna says
    Posted May 23, 2020

Laura Mercier Primers are on top of my buying list. I absolutely love illuminating primers. My favourite so far is the Juice Beauty Phyto Pigment Illuminating Primer 01 Luminous. This one gives a nice glow and its and it’s a clean beauty product.