Flat Iron Mistakes You May Be Making & How to Fix Them!

There is a right way and a wrong way, gals.

It may seem like styling hair straight is pretty simple and straight forward, but there are a few common mistakes that I see women make that I’m sharing on today’s video. I’ll discuss the wrong way something is being done, and share what you can do to avoid that mistake!

Throughout the video, I share a few product recommendations as well as tips for encouraging volume at the root area with a flat iron.

I also shared a few helpful links to other videos at the end of today’s video, so make sure to watch until the very end to see!

If you are interested in any of the products or tools I used in today’s tutorial, simply click here to explore them!

My hair is always on the dry side, but it is especially dry after coming off of a few months of hard, unfiltered water in our shower at the new house. Thankfully I’ve resolved that issue now, so I’m trying to rehydrate and replenish the ends of my hair to see if I can restore some health into them!

It may be past that point, but I’m attempting to grow my hair out right now and I’d like to avoid a 2-3 inch chop if I can!

P.S. If you enjoyed this video, you may love watching this one

1. Posted January 13, 2020

I rarely use my flat iron but these are helpful tips! Thanks! ❤️✨

2. CJ says
    Posted January 13, 2020

Thank you!
    I’m …(won’t say how
    many!) ….years old and only now heard why my straight do was flat and not volumized!

This will be on repeat in my bathroom, for sure.

3. Carol Thalmann says
    Posted January 13, 2020

Hi Kate! Thanks for this tutorial. When I’m flat ironing, I’ve been noticing a clamp mark closer to my roots, especially in the back. Is this because I’m clamping to hard?

Posted January 14, 2020

Perhaps yes! Try pulling the iron through the hair as soon as the plated touch too!

4. holly says
    Posted January 13, 2020

hi kate! two questions!

1. how long after you shampoo can you go back and use a flat iron? for instance, i washed and blow dried this morning and then life got in the way for a few hours (4). is it too late to go back and try to flatten?

2. sometimes i see smoke. i saw some when you were right up at your root in the video, too. is that ok? seems scary!!

thank you for all you do and share to make us all the best versions of ourselves!! you’re the best!!

5. Kristine says
    Posted January 13, 2020

Would itne worth sizing up to the 1.5 if you had long and course hair or small sections the ticket ?

6. Holly Allen says
    Posted January 13, 2020

This was so super helpful! Thank you!

7. Robin says
    Posted January 13, 2020

I have fine hair and can achieve this look. However, day 2 and 3 looks super stringy. Is there a product or trick that will help keep it looking like it did on day 1?

Posted January 14, 2020

I’d brush through it and not add any more product on day 2 or 3!

8. Renata says
    Posted January 13, 2020

This was so helpful!!! Thank you Kate😘

9. Ann says
    Posted January 13, 2020

This may be a silly question, but if you put a heat protectant cream in your hair when it is wet and then let it air dry, will it still protect when you flat iron (perhaps a few hours later)? Or does it wear off over time?

Posted January 14, 2020

It will, yep! If you are restyling on day 2, I’d apply some kind of aerosol heat protectant before you go back in with a heat tool!

10. Michelle says
    Posted January 13, 2020

Great tutorial as always Kate!! 😊
    What’s the best way to clean you flat/curling iron?

11. Annie K. says
    Posted January 13, 2020

Thank you, Kate! This is very succinct. I always think your coaching is very doable. I forwarded your email with the link to a friend who is just learning how to flat iron her hair.

Thanks Annie!

12. Megan says
    Posted January 14, 2020

So helpful! One problem I have as my hair grows is that it gets so long in the back that I have to pull those sections around my head to straighten them. Otherwise I literally cannot reach all the way to the end. This makes my hair do a weird flip in the middle of the back section. Any better way to reach those long sections in the back?

Posted January 14, 2020

No, that is probably the best way, but make sure you are pulling them straight down and not inadvertently curling the ends by the way your wrist is turned when you pull the hair!

13. Kelly says
    Posted January 14, 2020

What brand of cream did you use and what temp do you recommend?

Posted January 14, 2020

All the products I used are linked beneath the video! And I’d recommend starting on the lowest heat and work your way up as needed. Try somewhere in the 300 degree range.

14. Elaina says
    Posted January 14, 2020

Any chance you could recommend a budget-friendly option for one of those “straighteners” that curl??

15. Laura says
    Posted January 14, 2020

Thank you so much for this video so helpful and I’ve leaned so much

16. KIM FORBES says
    Posted January 14, 2020

Hi, could you do a post on the best nude lip combo? I have coloring like you and don’t want something to wash me out so just wondering what you think? Thank you love your blog!

17. Eryn says
    Posted January 15, 2020

I am super sensitive to most hair products. I’ll think something is ok, but then by the end of the day I have a headache or my asthma has flared up. Do you have any recommendations for a heat product that I might be able to use?

18. April says
    Posted January 15, 2020

Great video!! I was doing most things, but still learned some tips. Your long time follower from Mississippi,
    April

19. Carol says
    Posted January 15, 2020

Thanks Kate, love your tutorials; nice and easy tricks/tips for my hair! You’ve helped me a lot!
    Quick question, what it would be the main difference between this flat iron (SinglePass Luxe Straightening & Styling Iron, 1″) and the one of 1.5″ wide plates?
    Your input will be nice!

20. Katherine Hovey says
    Posted January 16, 2020

Best part of this video for me was to straighten the top upward and not down. I have fine hair and have to WORK for volume. Another great tutorial, thanks!!

21. Stacy Howell says
    Posted January 16, 2020

Hi Kate, could I ask how you remedied your hard u filtered water to help your hair? Did you have to install a water softening system? We are currently renting a home and that is really an option right now, just wondering what you did?

22. Kristin Byrum says
    Posted January 17, 2020

I have been straightening my hair for 15+ years incorrectly! I tried the way you said, pull up on the hair instead of down – Oh my goodness!! GAME CHANGER. Thank you for your tip, I am loving my volume and “blow out” look!

Posted January 17, 2020

I’m so glad to hear this!

23. Kaci says
    Posted January 19, 2020

Thanks so much for the tips Kate! Question though: I have biracial hair and if I dont flatiron it it’s an afro lol. So I flatiron it most of the time. That being said, I then am unable to curl my hair. Someone once told me flatirons shuts down the cortex or your hair thus making it straight or something like that and then you try and curl it is cant do it. I try and curl and my hair and NO MATTER what I do the curl falls out within minutes! Even when I pin the warm curls up until they cool. Any thoughts on how I can straighten and curl my hair?

Posted January 20, 2020

Can you try curling with a flat iron? That may be exactly what you need to smooth the hair but still get a bend in it!