Ask Kate: On Shower Caps, My Former Career, and More

How do you take off your makeup?

I’m interpreting this question very literally and separating it from the act of washing my face. I like to wet my face with warm water and use a POND’S makeup removing wipe to remove my makeup. I cleanse my skin with Origins A Perfect World Antioxidant Cleanser with White Tea.

Do you miss being a hairstylist?

Sometimes I do. I miss being “in the industry” because I loved it for so many years. It’s fun and full of really unique and talented artists. I miss seeing my regular clients that I saw for years every few weeks. I miss the challenge and chemistry of hair color, and I miss the social aspect of being around people all day.

I don’t miss the hours, the late evenings or weekends. I don’t miss being on my feet for the entire day. And I don’t miss a disrupted schedule from no-show clients! I can’t see myself ever going back to working behind the chair, but if I had a million lifetimes I would definitely want to open my own salon!

What is your favorite hair mask?

I have so many that I love but I have to say I really like the Alterna Caviar Anti-Aging Replenishing Moisture Masque. It hydrates my dry hair so well and makes it feel strong the next day.

Quick Answer:

What is your favorite shower cap? I haven’t found one that comes CLOSE to being as good as this one by Blow Pro.

Do you ever take a nap? No. I’m one of those people that if I take a nap, I feel worse afterward!

If you were on a tight budget, what is one skincare product you would get? A really great exfoliator! This is one of my favorites!

How do you keep brassiness out of your hair? Read this post to see how I keep my blonde bright!

What is the best highlighter that isn’t sparkly? Milani makes a really nice one if you are looking for a drugstore brand. I also like highlighters by Laura Mercier as well!

1. Lindy says
    Posted October 17, 2019

I know you’re not gray yet but I wish you would cover some products specifically for gray hair. How to keep it from yellowing? Not be dry?

2. Posted October 17, 2019

Haha, my favourite shower cap (or the only ones I’ve ever used, actually) are free ones from the hotels… 😛

3. Amber says
    Posted October 17, 2019

Hi Kate, how do you organize all of your beauty products?
    Thanks!

4. Posted October 17, 2019

I’ve never tried a shower cap – but I get so frustrated trying to keep my hair dry…I should probably start!

K A T E L A T E L Y //

Posted October 17, 2019

for sure!

5. Sandy Beattie says
    Posted October 17, 2019

Hi Kate!
    Where did you get the grey “lip” shirt? I love it!
    Thanks!

Posted October 17, 2019

It’s from Jcrew Factory!

6. b says
    Posted October 17, 2019

hey! i don’t have a social media presence at all.. so i’m not quite sure where/how to ask you this.. i’m 26, and i have reborn again virgin hair (being pregnant will do that!), but i’m getting gray hairs at my scalp along my part-line. I part my hair in various ways, but the grays always show! can you recommend a way to cover the gray hairs without a full on color job? i would love a limited time fix.

thank you if you come back to this.!

7. Stephanie says
    Posted October 17, 2019

What is the best dry shampoo for someone (well me) who has natural jet black hair? I do not color my hair at all. All of the ones I have tried always leave a white residue in my hair. Even if they say “no residue”. I would love to NOT wash my hair everyday!! Thanks.

8. Callie says
    Posted October 17, 2019

My favorite shower cap is the SHHHowercap from Sephora. A little spendy but it’s the only one I’ve found to block humidity and it’s lasted forever with no signs of wear!

9. kate says
    Posted October 19, 2019

any shower cap, cant live without them

every thought about doing “on call blowouts” for clients.
    If I could get someone to come to my house for one that would be so great

10. Christy McCort says
    Posted November 19, 2019

Hi! I’m looking for two things that I thought you have reviewed or mentioned.
    Wireless earbuds
    Shower head filter
    Sorry! I tried finding iron your Instagram shop link but can’t. Maybe I’m wrong on both! 😂