Slough Slough Slough it Away

I love an exfoliator. As someone with dry, dehydrated skin that is prone to lots of flaking, an exfoliator is a product that I use at least twice if not three times a week.

There are varying degrees of exfoliators, from liquid-based acids all the way to thicker, grittier products. I’ve found that the grittier products work and feel the best for my skin and I’m sharing a few favorites below!

Ole Henricksen Pore-Balance Facial Sauna Scrub. I love that this warms up in your fingertips and then feels warm on your skin while it works. It has a decent amount of grit, but nothing too rough for sensitive skin.

Ole Henricksen Transforming Walnut Scrub. This is the strongest, grittiest of the bunch. It’s great on days that you wore a heavy foundation or heavy sunscreen because it truly sloughs off all the extra dead skin.

Fresh Sugar Strawberry Exfoliating Face Wash. This is the most gentle of the bunch but still has a little bit of texture to help lift off dry areas of skin. I love Fresh products and this new launch was a success in my opinion!

Do you exfoliate regularly? It’s a good routine to get into if you aren’t doing that already because it will ensure that the products you are using are penetrating past the dead skin, as well as make your skin glow!

(My dress can be found here!)

1. Posted July 16, 2019

I try to exfoliate at least twice a week… but I’m lazy when it comes to exfoliating my body. Need to step up my game!

2. Angela says
    Posted July 16, 2019

I stay away from walnut scrubs after using the original St. Ives Apricot scrub for so many years but the other ones sound great!

Angela at Blush & Pearls

3. Lynn Conley says
    Posted July 16, 2019

Do you typically let them sit on you skin for a few minutes or do you wash off right away?

Posted July 16, 2019

I let it sit while I apply my conditioner + let that sit, then rinse everything off!

4. Charlotte says
    Posted July 16, 2019

Saw the Fresh scrub and was wondering if you’d snagged it and given it a try yet! Thanks for this post!

5. Kaitlyn says
    Posted July 16, 2019

Would love to see a video or some kind of informational ‘tutorial’ on exfoliating!

• Kaitlyn says

Oh, me too!!!

6. Shelly Divarco says
    Posted July 16, 2019

Love the Derma-E microdermabrasion scrub. Gentle yet effective!

7. Jessica says
    Posted July 16, 2019

Do you recommend a product to fade dark spots on chin from old acne?

8. Lindsay says
    Posted July 16, 2019

Lately I’ve been getting into a lot of Korean Beauty products!! Try the Neogen Green Tea Bio-Peel Gauze from Sephora! It smells so good and its very gentle. While you’re at it, look up some of the Korean Beauty routines! There are easily 6-10 steps, which seems crazy but my face has NEVER been so moisturized!! OH! Also try the Cosrx Advanced Snail All in One Cream. I know you’ll find it all so fun and fascinating!

9. Hillary says
    Posted July 16, 2019

I just discovered Kate Somerville’s exfolikate treatment. It. Is. Amazing. It’s got grit to it and you leave it on for up to 2 minutes after scrubbing. I’ve never exfoliated in my regular skincare routine and I can already see an improvement to my acne scars. Yay!

• Koren Whited says
      Posted July 19, 2019

I LOVE Exfolikate!!! I have sensitive, dry skin and tried so many other types and brands with sub-par results or massive skin irritation. This stuff, tho? My skin loves it!

10. Allie G says
    Posted July 16, 2019

My skin looks best when I use chemical exfoliators (AHA in morning and BHA at night); however, I can’t deny how great an exfoliating facial scrub feels. I am in the market for a new one and I’m intrigued by the facial sauna scrub!

11. Katie says
    Posted July 16, 2019

I wanted to love the walnut scrub but I just couldn’t get past the SMELL OF IT! Haha I guess I’m not a walnut person! Maybe I’ll try some of your other suggestions!

12. Michele says
    Posted July 16, 2019

I was turned in to Philosophy Exfoliating Face Scrub 8 years ago and haven’t returned to St. Ives Apricot Scrub since! I had been loyal to the St. Ives since high school, but the makeup artist for my wedding said that it was way to gritty for my skin and that I was doing unnecessary damage. I use the Philosophy daily, as I feel that my skin is too oily when I don’t use it.

13. Pam says
    Posted July 16, 2019

I like the Philosophy Microdelivery Exfoliating Face Wash… I find it to be fine grit and non-irritating but very effective. I want to try the Fresh Strawberry but my Sephora has been out of it.

Posted July 16, 2019

Yes that is such a good one. I used it for years!

14. Ginnie says
    Posted July 16, 2019

Do you have any drug store dupes? I love Ole Henrickson and Fresh, but I’m a girl on a budget 😞

• Hannah says
      Posted July 17, 2019

Following! Would love a good drug store exfoliater.

15. Brittany Moore says

Kate,
    Do any of these help with textured skin? I have the weirdest bumps on my face, note they are not the small tiny bumps that can be found underneath your eyes, they are more like the size of a small pimple. I hear repeatedly that I need to exfoliate (which I do) because it’s a build up of dry skin. I haven’t found anything yet that has helped it and I am so embarrassed about the texture I have!

Posted July 17, 2019

Oh man I’m sorry you are dealing with that! Have you tried talking to a dermatologist or esthetician? It could also be a over-production of sebum that causes the bumps? I’d talk to a pro before you try anything else!

16. Amanda Troutman says
    Posted July 16, 2019

Body exfoliation favorites?? Great article, agree with green warming scrub.

17. Sam says
    Posted July 16, 2019

Twice a week! Love how my products/makeup go on after I exfoliate!

18. Nikki says
    Posted July 17, 2019

Try Lancer “the method polish”. #lifechanging

19. Denise says
    Posted July 19, 2019

Would love to see a tutorial on how you use these. Also, a drugstore brand recommendation. I’ve never exfoliated but probably need to start!

20. Angela Dubois says
    Posted July 19, 2019

I’ve been wanting to try the walnut scrub! I’m currently using Dr Lancers face polish it is my holy grail for my dry combo skin but it’s $75 a tube! 😢 If you ever get the chance to try it DO IT lol

21. Posted July 28, 2019

I was obsessed with the walnut scrub for years! I ran out one day and just never bought another one, so thanks for reminding me how good it is. I felt like its one of the best scrubs for getting rid of dead skin, and it smells great.

Stephanie | A Learning Story