Two EASY Summer Hairstyles

I’m a “set it and forget it” kind of girl when it comes to doing my hair. I want to just do one thing that I know works, and not mess with it the rest of the day.

These two styles, the half up and low messy bun, are two of my favorite looks. They work really well in the summer but I’d be lying if I said I didn’t wear my hair in one of these styles year round.

What makes them work so well in summer, though, is that they can be a “nicer” option than a defeated ponytail when the heat and humidity reach next level oppressive.

If you want to see how I created the loose, undone waves at the start of the video, you can watch this tutorial!

I have 1 weft of a hair extension in at my crown area for thickness. I had some damage to that part of my hair so I’m filling it in with a weft when necessary. This certainly isn’t required for either of these hairstyles, but if you are interested in trying out hair extensions (for thickness only or length too!), I’ve been really impressed with Barefoot Blonde hair. The colors are beautiful and they look as natural as a hair extension can possibly look.

I’m using these Bobby pins and these clear elastics for the styles. I’ve used the Diane Bobby pins for years and they are unbeatable. The Blaxx clear elastics are thick, have a good amount of stretch without becoming overly thin, and are reusable!

I’d love to see your version of these styles if you share on Instagram

1. kim says
    Posted June 3, 2019

love your necklace….where did you get it?

Maya Brenner !

2. Nicki says
    Posted June 3, 2019

Do you use the 2 mm or 4 mm Blaxx elastics? Love these looks!

4mm!

3. Missy says
    Posted June 3, 2019

Maybe a silly question–but do you go back and fix the crown of your hair after you pull the hair up (particularly in the second style)? I feel like I often get like a “hole” or empty space right in the center that looks a little goofy. Or do you just try to tease a bunch right in that area prior to pulling up?

Posted June 3, 2019

You certainly can! It may help to tease it first!

4. Posted June 3, 2019

I love the second hairstyle! Half-updos are my absolute favourite. 🙂

5. Angela says
    Posted June 3, 2019

Loved both of these updos – super easy! I’m constantly putting my hair up in the summer to keep cool, so I will be trying these ‘dos out.

Angela at Blush & Pearls

6. Kate says
    Posted June 3, 2019

These hairstyles are so cute! I am not very good at hair, but I think I could pull these off! Thanks for sharing, hope youre having a great day.

-Kate

7. Briita says
    Posted June 3, 2019

I had ordered the Diane Bobby pins through your link and they seem to lose their tension really fast. Am I doing something wrong? They stretch out almost immediately. Thanks!

Posted June 3, 2019

Hmm that seems wrong. You can also try putting less hair in the pin? But these are typically very, very strong pins!

• CR says
        Posted June 17, 2019

I ordered Diane pins a few years back on your recommendation and they were perfect. I had to order a new batch a month ago and they were so awful they were unusable. The quality is gone.

Posted June 18, 2019

Really I’m so disappointed to hear that– I haven’t ordered new in a long time either so I haven’t checked on them!

8. Danelle says
    Posted June 3, 2019

I love how easy these hair styles are!!

9. Jessica says
    Posted June 3, 2019

Love these hair styles and definitely checking out the elastics you suggested. Slightly off topic, but what is your nail polish color? It’s the perfect summer shade!

10. Jane E says
    Posted June 3, 2019

Great hairstyles and great quick tutorial! Where is your top from? I absolutely adore it!

Thank you!

11. Katherine says
    Posted June 4, 2019

Kate,
    Would love to see a tutorial on using the extensions. My hair is somewhat similar to yours but on the fine side and I’m growing out some damage. I would love to try extensions but I’m a bit intimidated by them and thinking they may not look natural.

12. Kathy Hill says
    Posted June 4, 2019

I have thin, fine, curly hair that is very thin on the top & crown. Would extensions be an option to help conceal? I don’t want to use a topper, it’s not that bad, but sometimes I really want it to look nice. Any suggestions?

Posted June 4, 2019

No I don’t think extensions would be best. Look into something called “hidden crown” extensions!

• Kathy Hill says
        Posted June 7, 2019

Thanks, I’ll check that out!

13. Michelle Carter says
    Posted June 4, 2019

I second the extension post request. I have been contemplating extensions for a while now for length but have been hesitant to spend so much money. There are so many types out there. I would love to see how they work for you.

14. Michele says
    Posted June 4, 2019

I love these! I like how you mentioned they’d be great for when humidity melts your style. Are these styles which would work better WITH humidity frizz (like how frizz gives the hair more texture?). I’ve decided I’m tired of trying to work against it only to fail, so any styles that would actually make humidity useful would be really great!

Also, any styles for wet hair (fresh from shower, pool, etc)? Mama wants it EASY this summer! I’m sure I’m not the only one!

• Katie says
      Posted June 4, 2019

Seconded on the wet looks, please!

15. Stacy says
    Posted June 5, 2019

So pretty! Fun ideas and I like that you shared on blog so we can reference.
    Can you share what color/product you (or your hairstylist) use for your base and highlights? It is so pretty and I’d love to try and achieve the same look!

Posted June 5, 2019

I do my color myself, using lightener with 20 or 30 volume developer. Then I gloss it with a cool toned gloss to cut out any warmth!

16. Nell says
    Posted June 6, 2019

Cute top!! Where from?

17. Olivia says
    Posted June 8, 2019

I’ve been following you for awhile on IG. Love your hair tutorials. I am not good with hair but you do such a great job explaining how to do styles that I’ve been able to figure out lots of them. Thanks Kate!!

18. Jasie says
    Posted June 8, 2019

Any tips for slightly longer hair with the low bun? I feel like I have longer ends and just flipping them up just puts the hair in a different direction to stick out awkwardly. My hair is about2 inches longer than yours! And very fine but thick. Any tips on how to make that stay?

19. Deb says
    Posted June 24, 2019

Thank you for all your videos, I love them!
    They are so helpful.
    My question go r you is :
    I’ve tried the small elastic ties and once I put it in my hair I can’t get them out! I mean I practically have to cut them out.
    Am I using them incorrectly (not sure how one would use them incorrectly) 😊. Or is this just my hair texture? I don’t know
    ???? Advice. Other ties don’t hold great and I use a lot of Bobby pins.

20. Laura says
    Posted August 1, 2019

Very cute styles, thank you for sharing 🙂

21. Katie Brunner says
    Posted August 12, 2019

Hi there! I love your blog-so much inspiration for this momma!! I have a “hair question” for you. I have very fine, fairly thin hair (kind of a lot of it) and it lays completely and utterly straight. I am desperate for beachy waves that can add some volume and texture to this hair. As a mom of two girlies, I struggle with finding time to use my curling wand to make those wavy curls…plus mine always turn out spirally. Would you recommend a perm for someone with hair similar to what I mentioned above? Just curious.