A few favorite SPF products (powders, sprays + creams!)

It seems like nothing is quite drilled into us these days more than the importance of sunscreen. Summer, winter, fall, spring, ice cold temperatures, blazing hot sunshine, you name it–you still should wear some kind of sun protection on your face and body. If you haven’t heard this already, I’m glad you are hearing it today!

There are so many great, great products to choose from but I wanted to share a few of my personal favorites in this video!

I explain in this video that due to the nature of my job (that requires photos and video at production level), I haven’t found a sunscreen that doesn’t give my skin a white cast in photos or video. Many of you love Unseen Sunscreen and I’ve also heard that EltaMC UV Clear Sunscreen is great too. I’m going to try this next!

Peter Thomas Roth Instant Mineral SPF 45, Supergoop! Invincible Setting Powder SPF 45, Clinique Broad Spectrum SPF 30 Mineral Sunscreen Lotion, Supergoop! Super Power Sunscreen Mousse Broad Spectrum SPF 50, Biossance Squalane + Mineral SPF 45, Supergoop! 50 SPF Defense Refresh Setting Mist Sunscreen, Pixi Skintreats Sun Mist Broad Spectrum SPF 30

P.S. If you’d like more information from the person who knows best, here are parts 1 and 2 of my series “Ask an Esthetician: General Skin Questions for your Best Skin and All About Aging Skin.” .My blouse can be found here

In this post:

1. Mary says
    Posted June 7, 2019

Have your tried the olay moisturizer with spf 30 in it?

2. Posted June 7, 2019

Thank you for your recommendations, Kate! I’m currently using Kiehl’s sunscreen but I’m open to checking out new ones! 🙂

3. ashlye says
    Posted June 7, 2019

I really like the Neutrogena Hydro Boost gel w/ SPF 15 (pump tube) and just discovered the Neutrogena Hydro Boost City Shield SPF 25. I love both. I know you are a big PTR fan, but these are working beautifully for my extra fair, super sensitive skin. Does the SuperGoop mist leave you extra shiny? I’ve been looking at purchasing this, but some of the reviews say it leaves too much greasy spray over makeup??? And… your makeup look on the video reminds me of the Maskcara makeover look from years ago. I LOVED that look on you and you are just as gorgeous today!!! 😊💗

Posted June 7, 2019

It does leave a little bit of a shine behind! And thank you!!

4. Annette Silveira says
    Posted June 7, 2019

When you say the Biossance cream leaves a white cast do you mean for your camera work? I use a mineral sunscreen now that goes on a bit white but doesn’t stay white for very long at all. I’ve used some that you can’t rub in. Where does the Biossance fall?

5. Shari McKenzie says
    Posted June 7, 2019

Good morning! I’m at work so can’t watch the video until I get home but am interested in all the new sunscreen products especially the powders. However, I wanted to ask you about your beautiful top. I have been secretly coveting it since I saw your IG post about spilling the sunscreen powder. Can you please share where you got it? Thanks so much!

6. Angela says
    Posted June 7, 2019

I really want to try products from Biossance and that SPF looks like a great place to start! Maybe som supergoop too.

Angela at Blush & Pearls

7. Jen says
    Posted June 7, 2019

I’ve used Neutrogena Pure and Free liquid on my face and I love the feel of it. I have also wanted to try the La Roche Posay antioxidant SPF serum. I tried it on the back of my hand at Ulta and it felt great!

Posted June 7, 2019

oh I’ve never tried that! Sounds good!

8. Lynn says
    Posted June 7, 2019

What your favorite sunscreen for kids? Thanks

Posted June 7, 2019

I’m not loyal to one particular brand but I’ve found the rub in cream works better than the sprays!

• Kristin says
      Posted June 8, 2019

Check here before you put ANYTHING on your kids. Sunscreens have some of the most toxic chemicals / endocrine disruptors. https://www.ewg.org/sunscreen/

9. LINDSAY P says
    Posted June 7, 2019

I sent you a DM about this as well but just in case this is better, I wanted to pass along that I watched a skin care video by Susan Yara at her YouTube channel, Mixed Makeup, the other day and she posted about some skin care at Walmart. One of the products was a tinted mineral sunscreen that helps with the white cast you talked about in your video! She didn’t test it in terms of whether or not it works with the cast in a video, but she felt like the tint helped “in real life” so maybe it’ll help you as well on camera? Anyway, it’s called Image Skin Care Prevention+ Daily Tinted Oil-Free Moisturizer, SPF 30, 3.2 Oz and it’s $23 at Walmart! Just wanted to pass it along! 🙂

Thank you!!

10. Hannah says
    Posted June 7, 2019

Please tell us more about this shirt, Kate!

11. Laura says
    Posted June 7, 2019

I swear by Supergoop’s City Sunscreen Serum. It goes on smooth, without any color, leaves no residue and works under any makeup I wear! It’s super lightweight but also moisturizing.

12. Kristen says
    Posted June 7, 2019

Have you had any luck with using the powders on your part or hairline? Spray sunscreen leaves my part and hair way too greasy but I always forget to protect my scalp…until it burns! SuperGoop has a new part and scalp powder out but it seems to be out of stock everywhere!

Love your blog!

Posted June 7, 2019

I haven’t tried that BUT it seems like it should work the same, right?!

13. Megan says
    Posted June 7, 2019

Be aware that all chemical SPF is absorbed into your skin, so if you’re worried about that, stick to the mineral products of zinc oxide or titanium dioxide. The FDA hasn’t determined if the other active ingredients are safe. FYI.

14. Suzanne says
    Posted June 7, 2019

My dermatologist recommends Elta. I use their tinted sunscreen daily.

15. Lee Harrison says
    Posted June 7, 2019

Kate, I use Exuviance Sheer Refining Fluid (35 SPF) from Ulta. It seems to disappear and is a light moisturizer.

16. Cara Jenkins says
    Posted June 8, 2019

Hey Kate! My dermatologist recommends Elta. I’ve tried a sample of it and really like it! They warned against buying it on Amazon because there are some imposters on there but said you can get it from the Elta website. 🙂

17. Emily says
    Posted June 8, 2019

Great info! I have an dude eltaMD regularly, it’s moisturizing and gives a minimal white cast. I think you’ll like it!

What do you use for the kids spf?

18. Carin Seppa says
    Posted June 10, 2019

Love and appreciate all your posts! There is one you are missing and have to try!! It’s a gel, that soaks right on and goes under your make-up….no white film. The best part is that it’s holistic and actually good for your skin!

19. Amy Walton says
    Posted June 13, 2019

Thanks for sharing these! I use that Supergoop powder on my hair part, along my hairline and on my ears, too! Places you don’t want greasy, regular sunscreen. Supergoop’s Unseen face sunscreen is my newest lifeline, too! It is a matte gel texture just like the Smashbox makeup primer, but is SPF! 0% greasy or irritating around the eyes.

Posted June 14, 2019

Currently trying out Unseen from supergoop!!

20. Amy Walton says
    Posted June 13, 2019

OK, duh. I wrote this as if you didn’t talk about Unseen, haha. Sorry, that was weird. But I really like it!! I love the Biossance line, though. I will have to try theirs, too!

21. Courtney says
    Posted June 17, 2019

Try a Japanese sunscreen! I order mine on eBay. I like the Nivea Sun Protect version, Biore UV is also a great brand. The “essence” versions tend to be a bit more moisturizing; milks are a bit more drying and matte. The formulations are so much better than American sunscreens for your face!