This is part 2 of the two part series titled Ask An Esthetician. Watch Part 1 here!

Kristin is answering a bunch of anti-aging skincare questions in this video! As someone in my early 30’s these answers were very informative for me and I hope you find them helpful as well. It’s never too early to start caring for your skin!

The questions covered in the video can be found below.
1. Can you map out an ideal skincare routine for aging skin?
2. What is the best way to care for aging skin?
3. What is one important thing that someone with aging skin NEEDS to know?
Rapid-fire Questions:
1. Is SPF in your makeup sufficient enough?
2. Does oily skin need moisturizer or not?
3. Sleep in your makeup, harmless or harmful?
Kristin mentioned a few different types of products in the video and I found a few recommendations for you either based on personal experience or great reviews on retailer websites!

Vitamin C for brightening, a retinol cream for cell regeneration and a hyaluronic acid moisturizer to deeply hydrate the skin. At night, use a night cream packed with antioxidants would be best to apply to the skin so it can work overnight while you sleep!

A manual or chemical exfoliation is recommended to use on fine lines and wrinkles to slough off any dead skin and encourage new skin to appear.

I hope you enjoyed this series! Again if you didn’t catch the first video, you can click here to watch it! I understand that seeing an esthetician regularly isn’t something everyone is able or interested in doing, but it’s smart to know how to care for your skin if you want it to be healthy and look great. If you feel behind with a skincare regimen, just start now! A good moisturizer will go a long way and an exfoliation routine will help keep your skin clean from all the dead cells that can build up. Those two simple steps can be a starting point, and everything else (if you want to) can be added in later.

In this post:

1. Posted February 14, 2019

Was waiting for this! Thank you for the tips! 🙂 ❤️

2. Angela says
    Posted February 14, 2019

Thank you for these tips and links to products! I am in my early 40s and while I’ve always had a good skin care routine, products and applications constantly change and change for the better I think! My skin is different now than when I was your age, so I think it’s good to be flexible and try new things as your skin ages. It’s refreshing to hear this new info. Thanks again Kate!

3. Erin says
    Posted February 14, 2019

Good post! There are a number of Korean skincare products with Vitmain C or hylauronic acid etc… that are wonderful and more cost friendly. Have you tried any?

4. Marah says
    Posted February 14, 2019

Kate, thanks for this post! I’ve been puzzled by what to get for an SPF for my face for a long time!! Do you have any drugstore recommendations that won’t leave your face greasy? Thanks!!

• Laura says
      Posted February 14, 2019

Try Missha sunscreen! Very light and not greasy as a last layer!! I buy on amazon or target.com 😊

• Marah says

Thanks!!

• Kristin says
        Posted March 2, 2019

I second on the Missha recommendation. I get mine at Target. High sun protection and it sinks in without any greasiness. Holy grail product!

5. Jen says
    Posted February 14, 2019

Thank you for this post! Skin care has been a rabbit hole for me for a while. I wasn’t sure with which products I should be using or which ones to try. Definitely have some things in my cart now. Purchased the MaeLove glow maker serum yesterday and adding retinol and a hyaluronic acid serum to my routine next. I also tried the ELF Hello Hydration face cream recently. Its really good. Has hyaluronic acid and peptides in it. Only $12 at Target!

6. Jennifer L. Strand says
    Posted February 14, 2019

I LOVE this series! I’m in my mid-forties (& aging pretty well if I do say so myself 😉) & you can NEVER get too much information on how to care for your skin! Thank you!

7. Angela says
    Posted February 14, 2019

Being in my late (OMG!) thirties, I find I cannot live without retinol in my skin care. It’s such an amazing ingredient that really does it all. Loved the rapid-fire questions – so many myths busted!

Angela at Blush & Pearls

• Kelly says
      Posted February 14, 2019

What retinol product do you use?

8. Tara says
    Posted February 14, 2019

Is it true that you should not use retinols when pregnant or breastfeeding?

9. McCall says
    Posted February 14, 2019

I don’t think you can use retinol while pregnant or even nursing. Maybe you’re not nursing anymore but that is definitely a point that should be made.

10. Posted February 14, 2019

Great video!
    A313 is a great retinol from the French Pharmacy (or Amazon:)

11. Kendra says
    Posted February 14, 2019

Thanks for information about a good skin care regimen. There are so many products out there, I always get hung up on choosing something in the end.

12. Kate says
    Posted February 14, 2019

Great video! Loved that you did this.

-Kate Christine

13. Michelle Meyer says
    Posted February 14, 2019

This is one of my favorite posts, thank you!

14. AA says
    Posted February 14, 2019

Kristin referred to a matte spf cream to use before foundation- any specific brands?? Thanks!

15. Kristine says
    Posted February 15, 2019

Great videos! I’ve also heard of retinoid-what’s the difference between that and retinol?

16. Cyndi says
    Posted February 15, 2019

Were any specific product brands discussed in the second segment? Some were identified in the first; which were helpful. I would like some specific product names for the Vitamin C, retinol and hydra acid.
    Thanks

17. Shelley says
    Posted February 15, 2019

I couldn’t get any of the links to work for the products. Is it just me? It goes to the Sephora homepage and is in German, not English. 😐

18. Sadie says
    Posted February 15, 2019

If I use hyaluronic acid in my skin care routine, do I also need a moisturizer or will hyaluronic acid serve both purposes? I have a limited budget, so only using the one product would be helpful.

• Kristine says
      Posted February 15, 2019

You could try the hyalauronic acid moisturizer from Neutrogena. It’s called Hydro Boost gel-cream.

• Sadie says
        Posted February 16, 2019

Thanks Kristine,
        Sounds like a great option :-).

19. KP says
    Posted February 16, 2019

I have heard that retinol can cause or at least aggravate cancer (specifically skin cancer). I have shied away from using it because of this. Any input on this?

• Kristin says
      Posted March 13, 2019

I have heard dermatologists on podcasts say that Teton-a can actually prevent skin cancer. I don’t know if retinol would be strong enough to do that. I haven’t heard that it can speed cancer growth, but I have heard that about epidermal growth factors in products.

20. Kelty says
    Posted February 16, 2019

This was super helpful!!! What a great video! Would it be possible to do a follow up with some product recommendations for vit C, exfoliants, retinal and hyleronic acid? (both budget and spend)

• Kelty says
      Posted February 16, 2019

oh duh, sorry, needed to keep reading. Saw that you did do exactly that later in the blog post. Thanks again for such a helpful post!

21. Jaida Smith says
    Posted February 16, 2019

I love this blog post and video! Thank you for educating me on skin care!

22. Stephanie says
    Posted February 17, 2019

I’d love to know what skin care experts think about using organic coconut oil, organic apple cider vinegar (50%) and moisturizer. And that’s it! I’ve been using those only for about 3 months and my skin has never been better. I’m in my late 40’s and I’ve never slept with my makeup on 😉

23. julie smith says
    Posted February 18, 2019

Most of those products test on animals . Can we all try to make a difference to animals that don’t have a voice

24. Stephanie Gravenor says
    Posted February 18, 2019

Hi Kate! Did you end up buying a Retinol after the recommendation? If so curious which and how it’s going.

Posted February 19, 2019

I’m currently searching for one!

25. Kelly says
    Posted February 19, 2019

Hey Kate!
    Can you talk about the order in which you apply face products? Vitamin c, moisturize oil serums, sun screen, moisturizer, foundation primer etc. thanks!

26. Posted March 5, 2019

Have you tried the Rodan and Fields line ? I am thinking about trying it and I’ve heard it has retinol in it and is very good for anti-aging?

Posted March 6, 2019

I haven’t used it

27. Natalie Schiller says
    Posted March 8, 2019

I’d like to know if this routine applies to necks. Where I’m noticing my aging first is on my neck skin. My face still looks pretty good, but my neck is giving my age away. Would love to hear whether all these comments/products are to be applied to the neck also