First Impressions/Drugstore Makeup Demo

In the age of fast-paced, constant social media content, sometimes you just have to go back to the old classic “talk throughout the makeup tutorial and share first impressions on film”.

So if you are looking for about 15 minutes of demonstration, including a handful of drugstore products I grabbed at both Walgreens and Target, then you are in the right place. And if you don’t have 15 minutes, just watch it in 2 times speed. That’s pretty much how I watch everything on YouTube these days 😉

Product links:

L’Oreal Paris Visible Lift Radiance Cheek Duo, NYX Face Sculpting Pallette, Revlon Photo Ready Insta-Filter Foundation, Unlimited Mascara, Bare Minerals Nudes Eyeshadow , Pro Smudge Brush, Charlotte Tilbury Magic Away, Benefit Goof Proof Brow Pencil, Anastasia Brow Wiz, Clinique Bottom Lash Mascara, Laura Mercier Secret Brightening Powder for Under Eye, Sigma Blush/Powder Brush, Covergirl Outlast All Day Lip Color: Custom Nudes, Lancome Black Eyeliner

p.s. For all the info on my Lash Lifts see this post!

In this post:

1. Posted January 8, 2019

Love your videos, Kate! Recommendations for drugstore makeup and skincare products are my favourite, since I can actually go out and check them out! Thanks! 🙂

2. Sherry says

Good Morning Kate

After using that foundation a few times, how do you feel about it? I know you don’t like the applicator, but do you generally like the product after wearing it? I have been thinking about trying it.
    Hope you all have a wonderful Tuesday, another warm day in NC.

Posted January 8, 2019

I do, it wears really nicely!

3. Allie says
    Posted January 8, 2019

I love the color of the lipstick! It’s such a pretty everyday color, and I love a long wear finish in a busy day.
    xAllie

4. Katharine says
    Posted January 8, 2019

I would really love to see some tutorials this year that branch out a little bit! I know you probably get a million requests for relaxed waves, but some fun braids or updo tutorials would be nice. And makeup looks that are different- all the makeup tutorials seem to be really similar- neutral eyes, pink lips, etc. A true, bold cat eye (the previous one from a month or so ago was a bit on the tame side IMO) would be fun! Neutral is my go-to look but sometimes I like to play it up and it would be nice to refer to one of your tutorials.

thanks for the tip!

• AA says

Yes, this! 🙂

5. Michelle says
    Posted January 8, 2019

Beautiful as always! Did you do something different with your hair color? It seems warmer… especially the darker pieces. I love it! 🙂

Yes I darkened it a bit 🙂

6. Angela says
    Posted January 8, 2019

Fun video! Something so relaxing about watching someone else apply their makeup! I still have to try that Insta-Filter foundation.

Angela at Blush & Pearls

7. hannah says
    Posted January 8, 2019

How long did the lip color last?

Posted January 8, 2019

I’m glad you asked, I forgot to add that to the bottom of the post. It lasted for about 8 hours before looking a bit dry, then I just added more balm!

8. Megan says
    Posted January 8, 2019

Kate! I know you don’t read DMs often, but you have to see this! Giordano’s is coming to WI! Now you can have your see dish when you’re staying at your parent’s house!

9. Laura says
    Posted January 8, 2019

I got this foundation and pulled the sponge off of it based on your previous comments about it. It still works perfectly!

• Ally says
      Posted January 12, 2019

I did the same thing! I just twist a little into the top of a little tray I have and then use my brush, it’s sort of hard to twist and aim otherwise!

10. Sara says
    Posted January 8, 2019

So how did the lipstick wear? I love that color and am intrigued to hear how it stayed put.

Posted January 8, 2019

It lasted most of the day with only needing balm around dinnertime! The color lasted beautifully!

11. CLAIRE says
    Posted January 8, 2019

This has nothing to do with the makeup but I’d love to know where to find your earrings! Thank you.

12. Lori says
    Posted January 8, 2019

That was so helpful to watch, thank you! One question-do you use a setting powder on your foundation typically? Does the contour serve that purpose? Thanks again!

13. Posted January 8, 2019

Kate, a few years back you turned me on to Stila eyeliner in the color Sepia. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it! But now that color has been discontinued, (UGH!!) and I am frantically on my last one-I’d buy in bulk since it needed to be ordered online. I have yet to find a color that is close to Sepia. In all your makeup trials, have you have come across any eyeliner that is close in color to Sepia? I absolutely love that color for lower liner and days I just want a hint of liner on the top. Any suggestions? HELP!

14. Michelle says

Hi Kate,

Thanks for the fun video. Always love reading your posts. Have you tried the Elf cosmetics eyebrow kit? It is a tinted cream and is awesome for the price point!

15. Posted January 8, 2019

Kate, been following you for years. Love this makeup video and many of your other ones. I love how natural this one looks. When I first started following you, you had way more hair videos beyond curling or straightening your hair (or making waves). I would love too more videos on updos, modern hair buns, and special occasion or business looks for updos, even ways to half put your hair up. I know some of the older ones which are/were awesome are on YouTube, but I’d love to see a few for here & now. Otherwise love your blog.

• AA says

Agree!

16. Gigi says
    Posted January 8, 2019

I can’t wait to hear what you think of the Cover Girl Outlast lipstick – that has been my “go to” lipstick for over 15 years or more. Love that stuff. Now, if they’d just bring back my favorite colors…

17. Teresa Watson says
    Posted January 8, 2019

What store had the CoverGirl nudes? I can’t find it anywhere. Thanks!

Posted January 9, 2019

Walgreens!

18. Posted January 8, 2019

That lip shade looks so pretty on you!

19. Kate says
    Posted January 8, 2019

Love the Covergirl outlast all day lip color! It’s my favorite lip product!

20. Kathleen says
    Posted January 8, 2019

Will you ever do a drugstore tutorial on No7’s products? I’d love to see some input about the products that brand offers compared to others you’ve tried.

21. Melanie says
    Posted January 9, 2019

Sorry, I”m sure you’ve said this before but on a typical day do you normally do your hair or makeup first? Does this order change when you are going out for the evening (aka putting more “time/effort” into it)?
    Thanks!

22. Posted January 9, 2019

So simple and SO beautiful. I love to rock a natural look for a day at the office.

K A T E L A T E L Y || fashion + lifestyle blog

23. Kelly T. says
    Posted January 9, 2019

Kate, I also love your earrings! Can u share the source? Thanks 💖

24. Debbie says
    Posted January 9, 2019

Really liked your tutorial. will definitely follow you. I have very sensitive skin and can’t wear eye makeup, Do you know of one that is best for sensitive skin?

25. Chelsea Gelinas says
    Posted January 9, 2019

Love the video Kate! I was just wondering what brush you use to apply the Laura Mercier powder? I don’t see it in the list.

Thanks !

Posted January 9, 2019

Just a fluffy eye brush!

26. Chelsea Gelinas says
    Posted January 9, 2019

What shade do you use for the Charlotte Tilbury magic away?

• Heather says
      Posted January 10, 2019

I would also like to know!

27. Katie says
    Posted January 9, 2019

Have you found a drugstore dupe for the Charlotte Tilbury Magic Away? I’m desperate to find an under eye concealer that works well and doesn’t cost an arm and a leg!

Posted January 9, 2019

I wish!! Not yet!

28. Andrea says
    Posted January 15, 2019

I love your videos! I just have a quick question. Why have you started stopping your eyeliner near the middle of your eye instead of drawing it lightly all the way across like you used to?

29. Luiza says
    Posted February 27, 2019

You are very beautiful! I love to watch your videos. Your advice is truly valuable.

30. Britney says
    Posted March 29, 2019

Do you used a primer before you applied Relvon foundation

Posted March 29, 2019

Sometimes I use a primer, sometimes I dont. I didn’t here!