Barely Bent Hair Tutorial

My tendency is to always make my hair “perfect”. I blame years of working in the salon and preferring a more clean, classic look to the hair.

But these days a looser, undone style is right on trend. Not only does a style like this look cool and modern, but it’s a great option for day 2 hair or a type of texture hairstyle to wear with an athleisure outfit.

All the products and tools that I used in the tutorial can be found at Sephora, also known as my home away from home. I began this tutorial with wet hair so it’s a true “start to finish” demonstration.

Before I jump into the products and tutorial, I want to remind you to sign up to become a Beauty Insider at Sephora. It’s completely free and you have the opportunity to earn points that can get you discounts, promotions, and so many other perks. You can sign up right here!

I was so excited to hear about Living Proof’s recent launch of the Restore Dry Scalp Treatment. I demonstrate how to use it in the tutorial and it has been great for my scalp. I wash my hair often because I work up quite a sweat at my daily bootcamp workout, so making sure I’m not drying out my scalp too much is key to avoiding flakes and tightness.

This product is applied at a few partings in the hair, massaged in, and then you style like usual. It doesn’t make your hair greasy and you are simply left with a conditioned, moisturized scalp.

All the products I used in the tutorial will be listed right below the video!

Products: Living Proof Restore Dry Scalp Treatment, Wide tooth comb, Alterna 3-in-1 Sealing Serum, Bumble and Bumble Thickening Great Body Blow Dry Creme, Amika Un.Done Texturizing Spray, Amika Fluxus Hairspray

Tools: T3 Cura Blowdryer, GHD 1.25 curling iron

I loved that even as the bends in the hair softened up with time, the style still looked relaxed and comfortable. I’m sure I’ll be repeating this curling technique in the near future, and possibly trying it out with a flat iron as well.

This post was sponsored by Sephora.

In this post:

1. Posted January 22, 2019

I love the free subtle curls! It’s a cute look. 🙂

2. Paige says
    Posted January 22, 2019

Bedhead has a tool that makes those waves in less time called Wave Artist . I’ve kearned to use it flat side out if I don’t want big hair. You should check it out.

3. Lana says
    Posted January 22, 2019

Looks great!! Also, where can I find your top (or dress?)?

Posted January 22, 2019

It’s a top from Madewell and I believe it’s sold out. Sorry!

• Lana Weeks says
        Posted January 22, 2019

That’s okay, thanks! I love your blog and think you do a great job with keeping content helpful and interesting, despite what people who clearly have nothing better to do are saying 😉

4. Lily Beijo says
    Posted January 22, 2019

I usually love stuff she does but it looks kinda scraggly, thin, and damaged (especially at the ends) which is unusual for her. Guess that’s what happens when you base all your content on sponsors lol

Posted January 22, 2019

My hair has been exceptionally dry (I’ve spoken about this a lot recently, specifically yesterdays post) and I’m trying out a few different repairing products right now. I don’t base my content on sponsors, I work *with* sponsors to develop content that I care about and want to share on the site. Thanks.

• Laura Schott says
        Posted January 22, 2019

Kate, you are so dang authentic. It is such a joy for me to see and read your posts. I am SO glad that you have these sponsors that support you and allow you to give us all this valuable information. I’m always at a loss for when people get so worked up about the fact that you might actually get paid for the monumental amount of work that I know goes into what you do. Thank you for it, you are easily my most favorite and relatable person to follow.

Posted January 22, 2019

That means so much thank you!!!

• Lindsey says
      Posted January 22, 2019

Why are you on her blog???

5. Kaitlyn says
    Posted January 22, 2019

How do you feel about using wave irons? I want to achieve this look but would rather us a tool I can just run through my hair. Do you recommend any?

Posted January 22, 2019

They can be really easy to use! I wanted to show how to get this look using a standard curling iron so readers wouldn’t feel like they needed to buy an additional tool that only does one thing 🙂

• Kaitlyn says
        Posted January 22, 2019

Okay, great! I have never used a wave iron so wanted to get your opinion on it!

6. Shannon says
    Posted January 22, 2019

Can you ever do any new content? This is the same wave tutorial you’ve done for years. It isn’t even a good look! You look so much better with your hair straight or in an updo. I wish you would get more creative with your tutorials like you did before having kids . This ages you do bad. Your mom looks like the younger sister.

Posted January 22, 2019

Kindly, it isn’t the same. It’s using the curling iron in a completely different way than typical. I thought it would be a great opportunity to demonstrate how to accomplish this curl style without purchasing an additional tool.
      My mom certainly does look young for her age, I agree.

• Amanda says
      Posted January 22, 2019

How incredibly rude of you, Shannon. You need a lesson in empathy and compassion — how dare you try to tear somebody down for creating content that isn’t in line with what you want AND give unsolicited styling advice that cannot come across as anything but damaging and hurtful to another — what was your aim? I hope nobody ever says something like this to your face — I wish that for no one. Incredibly rude and baffling. I’m sorry, Kate. The majority of your readers appreciate you and the amount of effort you put into developing relevant and interesting content.

Thank you Amanda!

• Lindsey Roy says
      Posted January 22, 2019

Why do you hate her so much?

• Heather says
      Posted January 23, 2019

This comment leaves me absolutely speechless. It’s not only extremely hurtful and insulting, but very self centered…Shannon, she has a large, loyal base who she provides content for…not just you. Kate – I personally 100% disagree and enjoyed seeing this. You are amazing at what you do, and are funny, thoughtful and so helpful. Luckily the opinion of one person won’t change how great you are at your job. Keep up the great work!!!

Thank you Heather!

7. Jen says
    Posted January 22, 2019

I’ve recently tried Alterna’s Kendi Oil. Its the best hair oil I’ve found for my crazy hair so far. Have you found any good anti-aging eye creams? Turning 30 and thinking its time to start using a good eye cream consistently.

8. T says
    Posted January 22, 2019

Love the more messy look! By any chance, can you do a tutorial on just using texture spray to make a piecey/messy look? I have straight hair and one thing that can be hard to avoid is “helmet head”. If there is no time for a curling iron, can you create a similar look above on dry hair with just texturing spray?

Posted January 22, 2019

That’s a great question, let me think about that and look for some texture sprays that may create more bend in the hair!

• Michele says
        Posted January 23, 2019

On texture spray in general…do you use it before or after you style? I’ve used it before, thinking curls will last longer, but find that I smell burning product so I figure that’s probably a bad idea. I’ve used it after, but sometimes mess up the styling because I have to work it in. Any thoughts?

Posted January 23, 2019

I typically use it after I curl, before I spray with hairspray. If your curls don’t hold well you may want to spray it on before, just make sure the product is completely dry before you use a hot tool on it!

9. Laura says
    Posted January 22, 2019

This doesn’t really feel like new content. I’ve been a follower since the very beginning so I love your hair tutorials and definitely miss them. They are what sets you apart from other bloggers. I know you said the top knot isn’t for you but I would much rather see stuff like that.

Posted January 22, 2019

More styling/updo tutorials are coming down the pipeline, thanks!

10. AA says
    Posted January 22, 2019

Not another wave tutorial :(. I looked in your tutorial section and there hasn’t been anything unique since 2017! Please consider new types of content, otherwise a long time reader like myself may not continue to come back.

• Coco beijo says
      Posted January 22, 2019

Omg so true. I guess that’s what happens when EVERYTHING is sponsored!

Posted January 22, 2019

If you have questions about how I monetize this free website you can refer to my FAQ page. thanks.

• Raquel says
          Posted January 22, 2019

I always click all the links I can here, because I know that most of your household income comes directly from the monetization of this blog now that Justin is CFO. People who aren’t happy with the content or whatever should be quiet, because its your livelihood and you have such a fabulous lifestyle to support (YOUR POOL OMG!! #lifegoals) and I’m happy to help support you. Ugh people! What if you went to there jobs and said such mean stuff!

• Lindsey Roy says
        Posted January 22, 2019

Maybe find a new blog to read

Posted January 22, 2019

Thanks for your feedback.

• Megan says
      Posted January 23, 2019

The likely reason for another wave tutorial is that waves are super trendy right now. And every time she posts a picture of her hair with waves, she gets tons of comments asking how she achieved them. These waves are very different than the ones she typically does. Plus it’s really helpful to show several techniques to achieve waves because people have different hair textures. This technique doesn’t work for my hair, but other techniques she uses do. As someone who really enjoys styling my hair, I love seeing different ways to create waves.

Posted January 23, 2019

Thanks for the thoughtful response!

11. Angela says
    Posted January 22, 2019

I love these soft waves but they never look right on me…might have to give it another go with your tutorial.

Angela at Blush & Pearls

12. Ali says
    Posted January 22, 2019

Thank you for this, I can’t wait to try it. I love the messy wave look but always end up with my hair being too “curled”. I am hoping this is the answer. I love your approachable style.

13. Michele says
    Posted January 22, 2019

Usually your styles always looks super easy, but I get frustrated with myself because they don’t work out as easily. It’s refreshing to see one that actually looks complicated for a change (taking out and repositioning the iron multiple times in the same section? What? Where do you find the time!)

Mine looks similar to this when I do it with a wand. Of course, I’m going for your more classic, perfect waves, but at least now I know I inadverantly replicated one of your looks😂😂😉

Also, can you do a tutorial about classy responses to rude folks (seriously, if ya don’t like the content, don’t read it!), I think it would satisfy people’s need for new content and be delightful.

Posted January 22, 2019

Well you are nailing the “undone” style then! 🙂 Thanks for your kind words!

• Michele says
        Posted January 22, 2019

FYI, I meant all of that genuinely, with genuine kindness. When I reread it I worried that maybe it came off as snarky, which was not the intention! Love your stuff!

14. Maria says
    Posted January 22, 2019

I love this tutorial, I tried it and loved it with my hair. My hair is naturally straight so being able to find a hair style I like to give it a little wave, makes me a happy girl! Lol So, thanks Kate💕

15. Lori Trevino says
    Posted January 22, 2019

Do u purchase your products online or go to one of our stores in LR? I see you are using the Bumble & Bumble (B&B), it looks as though I’m not spelling correctly. Do you like their products? I really enjoy watching your tutorials!! Thanks so much😇

16. Jenelle Beckham says
    Posted January 22, 2019

Great tutorial! Thank you!!!

17. Courtney says
    Posted January 22, 2019

I appreciate all the time and effort you put in to make these tutorials and give them to us for free. Those of us that follow you on insta stories see a mom who is supporting her family with this blog while balancing sleep deprivation, new work out schedules, family visits, plus three kids and a husband in general. It’s sad to see people feeling the need to leave mean comments when it’s literally effortless to not watch a video if it’s not your thing. It takes more effort to leave a mean spirited comment than just move on.
    You’re killing it, Kate, and thank you for trying to make styles work and teach us how to do them even if it’s a way you don’t like to wear your hair.

• AA says
      Posted January 23, 2019

I agree that some people have been mean, but I think generally it’s ok for readers to give feedback and to make requests.

18. Mindy says
    Posted January 22, 2019

It’s like you made this tutorial just for me!!! I’ve tried so many wave techniques and my hair just doesn’t cooperate. My hair is super dry as well so I can’t wait to try the products you mentioned. I am going to try this technique as soon as I get home from picking up my kids! Thank you!!!

Hope it works for you!

19. Celerie says
    Posted January 22, 2019

IDK about this one. It looks dry, somewhat fried, and too undone for most occasions. (Yeah, I’m not on the athleisure boat…especially when someone is 100% thematic about it. High/low, y’know.)

20. Posted January 22, 2019

No chance of me ever achieving perfection when doing my hair. Your relaxed styling is beautiful.

21. Rae says
    Posted January 22, 2019

Kate, you look so cute in this style and I’m excited to try it with a straightener since I struggle so much figuring out curling irons. I know this probably sounds silly, but it was so helpful when you held your hand up to show how much product you used. I always wonder if I’m using too much/little hair product, moisturizer, foundation, etc.

22. Sara says
    Posted January 22, 2019

Kate, I cant believe some of the comments that I’m reading. You are my favorite blogger and I get so much inspiration from you whether it be hair, make up, kids, working out…life in general! Your insta stories are at the top of my list every night. I sincerely hope you arent brought down by the negative Nancy’s because you are amazing! Just wanted to drop you a positive line because you are deserve it!

Posted January 23, 2019

Thanks Sara, I appreciate your kindness!

23. Taylor says
    Posted January 22, 2019

It looks like your not clamping down the iron all the way in each wave, is that right? I love this tutorial! I’ve never seen this done before and can’t wait to try it!

Posted January 23, 2019

I am just only for a second!

24. Sara says
    Posted January 23, 2019

Interesting look. Reminds me of crimping my hair for some reason.

Glad you’re back with the hair tutorials!

25. Hannah says
    Posted January 23, 2019

I love your hair like this! I’ve always wondered how to master this, I’d have never have thought of using the curling iron this way!

26. Michelle says
    Posted January 23, 2019

Have you tried the Polished Perfection Straightening Brush by Amika? I’m intrigued by it and wondering how well it performs. I was just wondering your thoughts on it. Thanks!

27. Missy says
    Posted January 23, 2019

Well, I tried this on my pretty thick hair this morning, and it works amazing! Love it! However, it took WAY more time for a not done look than I care to do on a week day! LOL! This will be more of a weekend thing for me I think, when I have more time.

28. Andrea says
    Posted January 23, 2019

This was the tutorial I didn’t know I wanted/needed! I’ve been trying to achieve this look and ending up with the perfect curls and/or a bouffant.
    I tried it this morning and it worked great! I had to adjust a little bit because my hair is a little longer and thicker than yours, but I still managed to get the messy wave look.

Thank you!!

29. Kacie M. says
    Posted January 23, 2019

I do think this tutorial is COMPLETELY different from anything you have done when showcasing waves/undone curls. As a follower of yours since forever (whenever Pinterest started and I came across one of your hair tutorials), I have attempted to create a lot of your wave tutorials, and have learned so much! My hair struggles with keeping traditional curls when I use my 1.25″ iron – even if I do a more undone look with keeping the ends out . I have to use a 1″ iron to achieve curls that last. So, I love seeing that I could use that iron in a different way to create that undone wave look. I am going to try this, this weekend.

• Kacie M. says
      Posted January 23, 2019

I forget to ask about it my post… I usually section my hair in 2 parts (sometimes 3) to curl now. Should I do the same curling it this way?

30. Corinne says
    Posted January 23, 2019

Love your videos been a fan forever…my hair is same style as yours a bit shorter,fine yet lots of it.how can I get it you hold any curl or wave without loading on product. It never holds no matter what I do. It is color treated but in great shape. Thank you!

31. Sadie says
    Posted January 24, 2019

Have been looking for a wide-tooth comb as mentioned in your video, but your link to Sephora is broken and a search on their site has no results. Any ideas where might I find one? (Honestly, no one seems to carry “wide-tooth” combs anymore!)

32. Tammi Ostrander says
    Posted January 25, 2019

Man! Bunch of haters up in here! 😀
    I have never seen this technique! Love it! Thanks for sharing 😀

33. Adrienne Marcz says
    Posted January 27, 2019

Who cares if you work with sponsors.?? Good for you. Not everyone can get sponsored so I believe that’s where the hate comes from. As far as the bed head tool. I prefer your look
    Better. As a stylist of over 20 hrs your hair looks great. It doesn’t look dry. It’s seems a little fine
    I’m texture but you have a lot. Keep doing you .. ; )

34. Mia says
    Posted January 27, 2019

Your tutorials are the absolute best! Thank you!

35. Emily says
    Posted January 28, 2019

This is the exact look that I’ve been trying to achieve recently and I’ve been struggling, so I will try your technique instead! Thank you for sharing, your hair looks gorgeous.

Emily | Snippets of Emilys Life xx

36. Nancy says
    Posted January 28, 2019

I tried this technique on my hair today. I love how it turned out! Love your videos….have been watching you for a couple of years. Thanks Kate!

37. Franki says
    Posted January 29, 2019

Ok but I just wanna know what lip color you are wearing…it’s to die for!

38. Susan Jeffries says
    Posted January 30, 2019

I love this look! I am wondering if this style would work for hair that is shorter? Thanks!

39. Shelley says
    Posted February 7, 2019

Kate – i have followed your blog for about two years, because it is the only blog i have come across that is beauty/makeup/hair etc for blondes which i feel is hard to find. i have always felt like you did a good job of high end and “less expensive” brands. it is so nice to at least get ideas for blondes 🙂 for the first time i scrolled down to comments and i am saddened that you have to read what you do in regards to the negativity. I guess it comes with this online territory but i just wanted to say, as a fellow believer, “keep your spirits up. Do not be discouraged, take everything with a grain of salt, and remember that your worth lies in WHO you are and NOT what you do.” I think you are a light in the world. It comes out in your smile and your eyes. Not your makeup or tools or products. i always tell my girls (5, 4, 2) “do you know what makes a person beautiful?” “a kind heart”. Keep your kind heart thru it all

40. Jenn says
    Posted February 18, 2019

Hello,
    I love your hair style and was wondering if your hair is angled so that it is longer in the front than back? My hair is all one length and seems to “shrink” in the front when I style it like you did this way . Thanks so much.