Lash Lifts, why I get them and more questions answered!

From time to time I’ll mention getting a lash lift on Instagram and that inevitably leads to a lot of questions and a lot of confusion! I thought I’d break it all down for you in this post to try to answer some questions and give you a little more information in case this is something you are considering doing!

A lash lift, also known as a lash perm, is a process of curling the lashes with a chemical solution so they stay in a curled position. You know how a perm is created on hair on one’s head? The concept is very similar with the lash lift process but instead of curling the lashes around the barrel to create a spiral shape, the lashes are just positioned upwards against a silicone pad. Solution is applied and in about 30 minutes or so the process is complete. The full process from start to finish typically takes an hour and it’s important that the technician pays very close attention to how the lashes are positioned on the silicone pad as the shape they are glued in is the shape they will take with the perm solution.

So, why would someone do this? For me, it was a total game changer in how quickly I could apply my eye makeup and it gave me the look I want with my lashes. My natural lashes are thin, stick straight and don’t hold a curl. I had to heat up a lash curler with my blow dryer to really make my lashes hold the curl. The lash lift gives me curled, opened up lashes that make it very easy to swipe mascara onto. They never fall or lose their curl after the lift.

How long does the lift last? Typically it lasts about 6-8 weeks. Everyone’s lashes go through a natural shedding process and usually about 2 months after the lift I can see that my new lashes are straight and older ones are curled. It is permanent in that once you do the lift you cannot undo it, but once your lashes are grown out it will no longer provide any curl, just like when permed hair grows out straight.

Does it make my lashes darker? No, but you can get your lashes tinted during this process if you would like to. It’s completely optional and doesn’t change the lash lift at all.

Does it hurt? No. It may be a touch uncomfortable because lash glue is used to adhere the silicone pad to your lid, and then your lashes are glued to the pad, but it’s certainly not painful. Your eyes are closed during the process.

Does it bother your contact lenses? No, I haven’t had any trouble with that at all.

How much does it cost? It seems like the typical price range in my area is between $90-$120. Just like it’s important to do your research when you are looking for a new hairstylists, you must do your research when looking for someone to perform a lash lift. If the technician does not know what he or she is doing, you are going to be left with a frustrating eyelash situation.

What can go wrong? Well, like anything when you are having a service done, accidents happen. But in terms of what can go wrong with you lashes, they can possibly be curled too much and aim backwards towards your lid. I had that happen to a few lashes once and it was super annoying. Otherwise they can be curled in a wonky pattern if the technician didn’t pay close attention to gluing them to the silicone pad.

Is a lash lift and lash extensions the same thing? No. Lash extensions are when individual false lashes are glued to one’s natural eyelashes to create a false lash look that feels comfortable and looks natural (sometimes!). A lash lift simply curls your natural lashes, nothing is added or taken away.

Have you had any bad experiences? Now that I’ve done it a few times I’ve learned quite a bit. I wish I could get back into a salon and offer this service because it’s such a game-changer. I do my own lash lifts now since I’m a cosmetologist, but recommend you see a professional if you are interested in this service. My very first lash lift was a mix of emotions. I could immediately see the difference in how opened up my eyes were and how easily mascara went on, but some of my lashes were at a right angle and they weren’t fanned out properly. I now realize the technician wasn’t well trained. Since that time I’ve gone to two other technicians and they both did a wonderful job. In doing them myself I’ve learned that the solution needs to only be applied at the base of the lash instead of the entire lash from root to tip. When the solution hits the tip of the lashes it may bend them backwards toward your lid too much leading to a lot of frustration when doing your makeup! If you are worried about this, tell your technician that you want a very natural looking lift and don’t want the lashes to curl back at the tips!

How do I find someone to do this? Google “lash lift” and your area to see if there are salons near you. Then, do your own research on that person. See if they have an instagram account where they are sharing their work. See what kind of reviews they have on yelp or facebook. Make sure you check them out to know whether or not they are up to the standards you are looking for. I made the mistake of not checking out the first technician I went to and I wish that I had.

Would you ever get lash extensions? No, I don’t think so. They seem to high maintenance and fussy. I like to be able to rub my eyes in the shower and be makeup free.

What mascara did you use in this photo? In this photo I used Benefit Roller Lash mascara.

I hope this answers all the questions you may have!

1. Michele says
    Posted November 29, 2018

Have you ever done a lash tint? I’d love to get away from using mascara, since it always, no matter what brand I use or if it’s washable or waterproof, bleeds off and into my undereye area.

I’m terrified of a lash curler and even reading the lift process gives me the willies. I’m totally fine with straight (I can’t even watch someone put in or take out contacts, lol)

Posted November 29, 2018

I have gotten a tint and it’s really nice! It doesn’t work in place of mascara for me since mine are so thin but if you have thicker lashes it might!

2. Richard Lane says

Kate,
    Love the lashes..!!
    You look great..as ever
    Richard 😘

3. Richard Lane says

Kate,
    Love the lashes…they look great.
    As indeed you always do!
    Richard😘

4. Sherry says
    Posted November 29, 2018

I was just thinking about this while getting ready this morning…..I really want to try this. I think you have offered the name of the place you go in your InstaStories, but I’m not positive. I am in the Raleigh area, would you be willing to recommend where you go. I know on the first post where you wrote about this process you didn’t really want to recommend the person you went to because you didn’t feel they were quite prepared enough. My lashes could really use some help.
    Thanks !!

Sheila, @EstheticsbySheila or Blink Lash Studio are two great options

5. Posted November 29, 2018

I actually already get my lashes permed regularly – it’s so convenient! I have naturally long lashes and hate bothering with mascara, so it’s perfect for me. 🙂

6. Karen says
    Posted November 29, 2018

I drove 2 hours to the nearest city to have a reputable place (#1 in the city) do my lash lift. Then I was told my eyelashes were too short and wouldn’t take a lift. I was soooo disappointed. Ended up getting extensions instead, but as you said, they are high maintenance, not only in cost, but how you care for them, sleep with them and live with them. Now I’m back to using the most natural false eyelashes I can find. And only then, on special occasions. Thanks for the tip to heat up the eyelash curler!

7. Bridget Schultz says
    Posted November 29, 2018

I went and had my first last lift done after you first talked about them a few years ago. The first one I did a lift/tint. I have blonde hair so my eyelashes are pretty much white. I liked the tint, but since I wear mascara all the time anyway, I didn’t do the tint the 2nd time. I had short & straight lashes, so the first lift I did was a life changer for the first few weeks. I felt like mine lasted maybe a month, so I was a bit disappointed that it didn’t last longer. I also, felt like my lashes went through a weird stage where some were still curled and others werent. I thought I would have more luck with doing it again. After the 2nd one, I ended up losing most of my lashes not long after. I don’t have many to work with the way it is, so I decided after that to not try it again. I know several people that have used the same lady and have had great luck, so I don’t feel like any of it was her fault. After losing most of my lashed I started to put the money towards lash serums instead, and that has made them thicker, longer, and even curl a little. I am too nervous to try it again now that they are longer then they have ever been.

• Cassie says
      Posted November 29, 2018

Would you recommend your lash serum?

• Bridget Schultz says
        Posted November 29, 2018

I know Kate didn’t have luck with it, but the Rodan & Fields lash boost made a big difference for me. It is not cheap, but worth the money! I found a deal on Grande Lash also, so I trade off with them at this point. I know the lady that did my lash tint, recommended both of these. She said that she saw the most thickness added to her clients eyelashes with the Rodan & Fields. Hope this helps 🙂

• Karen says
          Posted November 29, 2018

I also tried the Rodan and fields lash boost. It worked… but the next time I saw my eye doctor, she told me I had eyelashes growing INSIDE my eyelids that were scratching my cornea! Beware! This can be permanent.

8. Christine says
    Posted November 29, 2018

Not lash related but I have a question about silk pillowcases. Do you use them (I thought I heard an IG story mentioning them)? Do you recommend and where would I find a decent one? Thanks! ❤️

Posted November 29, 2018

Yes they are a game changer and I found mine at Nordstrom!

• Michelle says
      Posted December 8, 2018

Amazon has some decent silk pillowcases for a good price, too! Just make sure you read the reviews to make sure it’s actually silk and not fake.

9. Mary Anna says
    Posted November 29, 2018

I’ve been waiting for a post like this, so thank you!! I tried lash extensions, and while they were beautiful, they touched my glasses all day and showering/swimming with them was miserable. I’ve been considering a lash lift, and will definitely try it next!

10. Emily says
    Posted November 29, 2018

Do you have a salon or technician you could recommend in the Raleigh area?

11. Jenn says
    Posted November 29, 2018

Can you share which kit you use to do your own? My mother is a cosmetologist and I’d love for her to get on board with this. Thanks!

It’s by Sugarlash and you can get it online 🙂

12. Cassie says
    Posted November 29, 2018

Would you recommend your lash serum?

• Cassie says
      Posted November 29, 2018

This comment was intended for Bridget Schultz, sorry!

13. Jill says
    Posted November 29, 2018

I just had it done last week and I am in love. It was a game changer for me too. Thank you for recommending it! Everyone thought I was crazy until they saw the results!

14. Angela says
    Posted November 29, 2018

Very interesting! I have the same issues with my lashes and have to really hold them in the curler for a while to get them to lift. I also use a heated eyelash curler from Amazon that makes a huge difference in lift and curl. The lash lift sounds like it would save me a lot of time though!

Angela at Blush & Pearls

15. Lynn says
    Posted November 29, 2018

I have been using Urban Decay lash primer along with Younique Epic mascara….my lashes have never looked better! I tried Younique on a whim and was seriously impressed!

16. Jill says
    Posted November 29, 2018

Hi Kate, do you think a lash lift is safe during pregnancy? Thanks!

17. Heather says
    Posted November 30, 2018

A local salon here offers a lash lift and a keratin lash lift. The keratin is different? Should I pay extra to have that? The internet doesn’t seem to know the answer. Any help greatly appreciated! This is weird but I love your family and your blog since 2012! I talk about you to friends and acquaintances like I know you personally 😂😂😂

• Heather says
      Posted November 30, 2018

I’ve had both and the keratin ones were WAY better!

18. Kim says
    Posted November 30, 2018

My daughter and I had this done after seeing you talk about it here. Love love love the results. I had extensions over the summer and they were too time consuming and expensive. This is the perfect solution for me.

19. Heather says
    Posted November 30, 2018

I got lash lifts for a long time, the Yumi lash ones were the best (keratin treatment with lash lift, actually adds length) I tried extensions a few months ago and LOVE them. I was also skeptical about maintenance & was worried about them being too va va voom, which the first set were, but a few tweaks & now perfect natural looking lashes. I do wish they didn’t take so much time…about an hour every 3 weeks.

20. Stephanie Wood says
    Posted November 30, 2018

I’m a cosmetologist as well and I was looking at cosmoprof and salon centric to see if they carry them. They don’t so I was just curious where you got yours from. I searched online and saw that you can just order the kit but I worry if they are ok to use since those sites don’t require a license to order them.

21. Miranda says
    Posted November 30, 2018

I love my lashes when I get a lift and tint! My optometrist told me to remove my contacts during the service. Because contacts are so porous if any of the chemical solution gets into your eyes it can seep into your contacts and stay there.

22. Beth Jones says
    Posted November 30, 2018

FYI, I received a lash lift and tint about a month after growing out last extensions. (Looking for a lower cost/maintenance option). I had a bad reaction with the perm solution and the lash adhesive (is what I was told). My lashes got super curly and smooched and eventually I lost a lot of lashes. I warn anyone who has tried extensions to wait until their natural lashes are completely grown in to try a lift. I had to go about two months before I could where eye makeup. Not the end of the world, but definitely inconvenient.

23. Merle says
    Posted November 30, 2018

I had a lash lift with eyelash tint about 3 weeks ago and couldn’t honestly see much difference. Quite disappointed really. One thing they told me was not to wear mascara for 24 hours afterwards.
    Something to note if you have a function or event that evening or the next day. 😊

24. Stacey says
    Posted November 30, 2018

I have had lash extensions for 2 years now and I find them low maintenance and efficient! My makeup time in the morning decreased significantly since I spent the most time on my lashes! I never wear other eye makeup though which I think helps them last longer and my lash girl does them out of her home which is at a lower cost than salons! Also, no makeup remover on my eyes and no black goops in the corner of my eyes. I would definitely try a lash lift if my lash girl ever quit. Kate, your lashes look amazing!

25. Marie says
    Posted December 1, 2018

Wait – how do you do this to yourself if your eyes are closed? Very curious!

Posted December 3, 2018

One eye at a time!

26. Shelly says
    Posted December 8, 2018

Kate! I just got my first lash lift this week (because of your recommendation) and I LOVE it. My lashes are decently long and thicker. However I could NEVER get them to stay curled. This has made such a difference for me. Thank you!!!!!

27. Pamela says
    Posted December 8, 2018

I am also a licensed cosmologist,i have been intrigued ever since you posted about lash lift.i chwckwd my local sallys &they dont carry it,saw that amazon does but…..
    Wondering if you can share where to purchase. Thanks

28. Holly says
    Posted December 8, 2018

Kate, does it do any damage to your lashes or make them fall out more than normal?

29. Maddy says
    Posted December 10, 2018

Any concerns with using a lash enhancement product like Lash Boost or Rapid Lash etc. after having a lash lift?