Texturizing Straight Hair

Straight hair is anything but boring, especially with the help of some styling products! Check out the video below to see how I use texture spray on straight hair to give it a little life and definition.

I’m using Amika Un.Done texture spray in this tutorial, but also mentioned a few other great products at the end of the video! I held the style with a bit of Kenra Volume 25 as well, which I’ve always loved but especially now since it aided in my killing of a GIANT cockroach in my bathroom last week.

A few other texture sprays that I like are Kenra’s Dry Texture Spray, Bumble and Bumble’s Dry Spun Finish, and Living Proof’s Full Dry Volume Blast. And the comb I’m using can be found here!

p.s. did you catch the messy bun tutorial I posted here?

In this post:

1. Posted June 19, 2018

Finally, a hair tutorial on straight hair! My hair is naturally straight and I’m always looking for new ways to style it, without doing anything too outrageous! Can’t wait to try your tips. 🙂

2. Marie says

Hi Kate,

Can you post a pic of your hair in a high pony as you would go to bed with it in?

Thanks!
    Marie

• Karen says
      Posted June 19, 2018

Yes please. I’d have a dent in my hair if it did it

• Nancy says
        Posted June 19, 2018

Double please!! My hair looks like “Something about Mary” when I wake up in the morning!! The hair on this head does not fall into place. ever. So I always have to shower before I style!!

• Tara says
      Posted June 21, 2018

Yes please

3. Allie says
    Posted June 19, 2018

I love the Anika spray; I got it in a bundle with the polishing brush which is amazing and I highly recommend! I generally use the spray when I curl my hair, thank you for the tricks on how to use it when I straighten my hair too. xAllie

4. Krista Heavner says

Love this! Thankbyou

5. Michellle Sefko says
    Posted June 19, 2018

Loved this and will try this on my hair and the volume as well… oh and yes I have killed a roach with hair spray as well lol

6. Laura says
    Posted June 19, 2018

LOVE this! If you’re going to pull a second day out of your hair after doing that process, will you need another round of the texture spray, or will you have enough product already in it?

7. Angela says
    Posted June 19, 2018

Texture spray is a Godsend for straight hair! My hair has gotten straighter and thinner over the years so I love these products!

8. Jayme Merrick says
    Posted June 19, 2018

Hi. What root lifter did you use the night before?
    Thanks,
    Jayme

Aquage Uplifting Foam!

9. Lauren says
    Posted June 19, 2018

Thanks for this tutorial, Kate!! So helpful!! Also, what nail color is your manicure in this video?! Love it!!

The It Factor! by Essie Gel Couture

10. Mary Anna says
    Posted June 19, 2018

Thank you for this post!! Straight is my go-to style and it is always just as flat as can be, so I can’t wait to try these tricks!

11. Maureen says
    Posted June 19, 2018

Thanks! It’s so helpful to see how you apply product!

great!

12. Kim says
    Posted June 19, 2018

I love a good texturizing spray! Thanks for the tips!!

Kim

http://trendkeeper.me .. floral dress & a statement wall!

13. Nancy says
    Posted June 19, 2018

Ha ha! That is an expensive bug killer!
    Congratulations on your new baby, Emily. Your family is beautiful. I’ve been following you since before you had your children.
    You are a doll 👍😊

14. Hillary says
    Posted June 19, 2018

Great video! I found it super helpful. Do you have any recommendations for a drugstore texture spray option?

Thanks!
    Hillary

15. Julia Morrison says
    Posted June 19, 2018

I love your hair tutorials. As a girl with fine hair, I love to watch how you texturize and tease your hair. Once ridiculously basic question though, what kind of comb do you use to tease with? I’m not sure what kind of comb I need to be looking for and there are a million options at Ulta. Thanks!

Posted June 19, 2018

I just added a link to the one I’m using in the bottom of the post! It’s by Cricket

16. Colleen says
    Posted June 19, 2018

Hi Kate – I’d love and appreciate some hair advice…I have recently started curling my hair in beachy waves, but cannot get it to stay. I use sea salt spray and the aquage root lifter, but not sure what product I should put on my hair to keep the waves in. By days end, there’s barely a wave. Any input is appreciated, thanks much!

17. Mary says
    Posted June 19, 2018

I just love all your videos. You explain everything very well. Please keep them coming!! ❤️

18. Anita says
    Posted June 19, 2018

Love all of your blog, but the hairstyle videos are a favorite. Can you tell me what you use for your ponytail at night? Everything that I use causes a “dent” in my hair the next morning.

19. Nichole Williams says
    Posted June 19, 2018

I never straighten my hair because I hate how limp it is. I’m goinv to pick up some texturizing spray!

Side note: I’ve never left my hair teased. I feel like I’m just ratting my hair.

20. Melinda Kelly says
    Posted June 20, 2018

Had to come back and watch again because i wanted to see if you used the flatiron before you sprayed your hair. Thank you for the mini Tutorial! Very helpful!

21. Dawn says
    Posted June 20, 2018

I have naturally curly hair that I just have to scrunch and use a hair dryer with an infuser. I may try some of that texture spray to get a little extra volume. I too love big hair and that will never change. 🙂 Love the tutorial!

22. Jessic A says
    Posted June 21, 2018

Thank you!!! Any suggestions to tame frizzy hair when flat ironing?

23. Brenda says
    Posted June 21, 2018

Hi! Love this tutorial! Any tips on product suggestions for taming wiry gray hair that is colored every 6-8 weeks. Same color, style and texture as your hair. Flat irons tame them, but I don’t like to use them often as I tend to have drier ends, but like the straight look as I bend the ends on a daily basis. Thanks so much!

24. Emily says
    Posted June 23, 2018

What color are you wearing on your lips?

• Kim says
      Posted June 27, 2018

Hi! I also am curious about your lip stick? Please share. PS- new to your blog but LOVE IT!! Thanks!

Kim

25. Jessica Doebler says
    Posted June 24, 2018

Love this tutorial! I follow a routine very similar to this but I struggle to make it last all day. I have trouble with my hair separating on top of my backcombing, either my bang area, or on the fuller side of my part (if that makes sense). So I end up combing through it or looking like there is a large bump on the side of my head where the teasing is. Any tips?

26. Terp says
    Posted June 24, 2018

I saw that Costco has the T3 Luxe 2i on sale for $99, and the T3 site has the T3 Pro I on sale for $179 and the T3 Cura for $149. Also, Groupon has the Rusk Speed Freak on sale for $69. I see that you have recommended all of these. Which one is your favorite? I have a medium amount of coarse collar-bone length hair that I want to grow out a little longer. My current dryer is a Conair 1875 that I got for $15 at a drugstore. Has lasted a decade and does a decent job.

27. Teri says
    Posted June 24, 2018

Hi Kate. What beauty supply can I buy that texture spray? I’m a licensed Esthetician and want to try it. Thanks

28. Machele says
    Posted June 25, 2018

Loved this tutorial. I have been battling my hair recently. I have thick, fine hair and, since moving to Arizona, it has become extremely dry. I’m also trying to grow out my layers, which is extremely frustrating as no styles seem to work for me at this point. I love my hair straight but, like yours, it falls toward my face. I’m going to try your tips…thanks for sharing this!

29. Lauren says
    Posted June 25, 2018

This is so timely- my hair is completely lifeless lately. My German stylist calls it “powerless,” which is really pretty accurate. I love the B&B product, and look forward to trying the Amika when I’m in the States next month.

30. Laura Platt says
    Posted June 25, 2018

Does the back combing cause breakage to your hair?
    I have supper fine, thin and flat hair. I am always looking for ways to help style my hair but always worry about causing breakage because I don’t have much hair to spare!

31. Laura says
    Posted June 25, 2018

Does the back combing cause breakage to your hair?

Posted June 25, 2018

No, but the key is combing it out from the bottom first, then working your way up to the top! and don’t pull on it too hard!

32. Megan says
    Posted June 25, 2018

So you shower at night and style your hair in the morning? That would save so much time being a new mom if I did that!

Posted June 25, 2018

Yep, I do!

33. megan says
    Posted June 28, 2018

very helpful!

34. Carrie says
    Posted July 2, 2018

I love this so hard because we have the same hair type. I always want my hair curled but with two little ones sometimes straight textured hair is the way to go. I am excited to try out these tips to bring more life to my hair!

Also- I saw your video about how you sleep with your hair from a while back and I even stretch out the pony loose like you do, but I still wake up with a dent if it’s freshly washed.

35. Monica says
    Posted July 7, 2018

Sooo going to try this texture spray…I love some volume in my hair too🌸. Thanks for showing this!

36. Angelia says
    Posted July 10, 2018

Love this tutorial. Would love to see more hair tutorials. My hair is so super dry right now I dont think I could get my hair straight as yours. Do you use any hair mask or recommend anything for dry hair?

37. Willow K. says
    Posted July 19, 2018

Hi! Your hair looks great! I have never tried a texture spray and i thought one can make straight hair look texturized by making it messy:-) Spray is a good idea. Another idea, which i also find good is a feathered hair cut, layered hair and full or partial highlights. https://therighthairstyles.com/category/hair-color/ please take a look at this article, i hope it will inspire you for more amazing videos.

38. Yolanda says
    Posted July 25, 2018

Can you show the brush you use when blow drying your hair

39. Erica says
    Posted August 14, 2018

Hey loved the video thanks for the tips! I have an off topic question though, what lipstick do you have on I love the color!?

40. Kelly Baldwin says
    Posted September 15, 2018

You are so helpful!

I’m so glad I found you…LOL