Simple yet divine chocolate fondue

Is there a more appropriate dessert to serve on Valentine’s Day? I’m not sure, but I will admit that I serve this to my friends year round. Not only does it give you something to “do” while you are chatting after a meal, but it’s also very easy and customizable for each person.

Don’t like cream puffs? Just eat the strawberries! I love that I can be pretty confident that my guests will enjoy at least some part of this dessert, or all the components of it!

This has been Justin’s favorite dessert ever since my mom first served it when we were dating. In fact, in my handwritten cookbook from my mom, it says “Justin’s favorite” next to the fondue recipe!

Chocolate Fondue // serves 6-8 people

Ingredients

• 1 stick butter
  • 6 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 cup vanilla ice cream (or roughly 2 scoops)

In a medium pot over medium/low heat, melt butter. Add chocolate chips and sugar, stirring frequently. Allow the sugar to break down and ingredients to come together for about 3-4 minutes. Add vanilla and ice cream, stir together until heated through and well combined.

Serve in a fondue pot with bananas, pound cake, brownies, marshmallows, strawberries, cream puffs, pineapple, or anything else that sounds delicious with chocolate.

Enjoy!

I’ve found this to refrigerate well for a few days, just reheat it in the fondue pot when you are ready to serve! Add more ice cream to the recipe if you want a “lighter” chocolate too!

SaveSave

SaveSave

1. Posted February 12, 2018

Oh my, you just gave me the idea to do this for Valentine’s Day, since it’s on a working weekday! 🙂 This would make such a cute date in idea with my boyfriend after work. Thank you so much, the setup of your fondue looks so lovely! ❤️❤️

2. Posted February 12, 2018

I’m sorry, there’s ice cream in this? That’s awesome. I’ve never heard of fondue having ice cream in it before (or maybe I just never knew there was ice cream in it?)

• Nadine says
      Posted February 12, 2018

I have never heard of ice cream in fondue either.

• Emily says
      Posted February 12, 2018

I think it’s just a substitute for heavy cream, which is in most other chocolate fondue recipes! Sounds yummy!

3. Mallory says
    Posted February 12, 2018

I made this a few years ago when you first posted about it! It’s still my husband and I’s favorite dessert we’ve done for our cook-at-home-together Valentine’s Day tradition. We usually switch up the dessert each year. But now you’ve got me wanting to try this again! Delish!

4. Lisa says
    Posted February 12, 2018

Do you think the chocolate stays hot and lose just in a bowl like that without any heat underneath?

Every time i’ve ever tried it this way without heat the chocolate or cheese seems to thicken up too much to really coat the piece evenly.

5. Posted February 12, 2018

The vanilla ice cream sounds amazing in it! I’m not a huge chocolate fan so I’m definitely going to try this!

6. Christina says
    Posted February 12, 2018

Yum! I was just thinking about making a chocolate fondue soon. My son’s birthday is on Valentine’s Day so we usually have cake that night. He is a big fan of chocolate fondue so maybe we will switch it up this year! Thanks for the recipe. I never thought to put ice cream in it, but it sounds delightful!

7. Amanda says
    Posted February 12, 2018

Do you mind if I ask: It looks like you have the chocolate in a regular serving dish; is this sometimes how you serve it? Or was this just for a pic? My kids will love this and I’d love it even more if I can forego our fondue pot that stays packed away and will require a ton of work to pull out 😉 #lazymom

Posted February 13, 2018

It’s best in a fondue pot for sure, it will stay a lot warmer that way!

8. Posted February 12, 2018

This looks absolutely AMAZING! I will have to make this sweet treat on Valentine’s Day! Thanks for sharing!

Sarah Lillian | https://livinglifewithsarahlillian.blogspot.ca

9. Posted February 12, 2018

Love how easy this looks – butter, sugar, and chocolate is a combo that I’ll never pass up. Thanks for sharing your mom’s recipe <3!

10. keellie says
    Posted February 12, 2018

You had a random “meeting” come up in NYC on the same weekend your sister was going to be there? and on your sons birthday? …. wow. How incredibly selfish.

Posted February 13, 2018

Your accusatory tone is not welcome in the comments of this post.

• Beth says
        Posted February 13, 2018

Not accusatory when it’s true

Posted February 13, 2018

Beth, kindly, I’m not interested in engaging in a comment that starts with questioning whether or not I had a meeting by putting it in quotation marks. This person also included an accusation about me being “selfish” despite this person knowing absolutely nothing about the circumstances of this weekend.

• Anna says
            Posted February 13, 2018

Why even respond then Kate if you aren’t interested in engaging? Seems about the only time you ARE interested in engaging is when someone calls you out on something. Several people have asked legit questions about this post yet you can’t seem to find the time to answer them. This happens quite frequently, it’s really telling about what kind of person you truly are.

• Jessica says
          Posted February 13, 2018

Accusatory means “indicating or suggesting that one believes a person has done something wrong.” This is indeed accusatory. People are choosing to come here, to her blog, and call her selfish or imply that she is a bad person. If Kate’s comment are “telling about what kind of person” she is, what on earth does it say about the type of person you are if you take time out of your day to come online and insult someone. Honestly, I think it is human nature to want to defend oneself. And it seems like she can’t do anything without being attacked or harshly judged, so I can hardly blame her for wanting to comment when people attack and degrade her character.

11. Jessica says
    Posted February 12, 2018

This recipe is over 2000 kcal. Even for a 6-8 person serving that is a crazy amount of calories.

Posted February 13, 2018

it’s a dessert

12. Eva says
    Posted February 13, 2018

Chocolate fondu is the best!! I like cheese as well. I went easy this year and picked up some chocolate covered strawberries at Godiva as a surprise for my husband the other day. He loves sweets!

Eva | http://www.shessobright.com

13. Erika says
    Posted February 14, 2018

I am shocked at some of these nasty comments! I guess I’m naive when it comes to blog comments. Kate…you’re beautiful, smart, and a great mom. The chocolate fondue looks delicious, and frankly, I can’t figure out how you manage all that you do. Keep it up and Happy Valentine’s Day!

Posted February 14, 2018

Thank you very much for the support!

14. chichi says
    Posted February 15, 2018

This will be prefect for a party this weekend, love the idea of having something to do while chatting after meals!

15. Lindsay says
    Posted February 15, 2018

Kate! I made your fondue last night and it is amazing! I’m not quite sure what my husband mumbled because his mouth was full, but I could tell it was a compliment. We’ll be adding this to our favorite recipes. Thank you for sharing!

• Posted February 16, 2018

My 2nd Fondue pot cracked years ago, SO, I thought of a microwave bowl, & an electric candle warmer, should work well. Can’t wait to try, love Choc & Ice Cream too. Yes, heavy cream is not always in our fridge. Fondue was a “fav” in the 1960’s, still is great. Why worry about calories when you plan dessert? Thank you for sharing. Good Luck. And “when you can’t say something nice, then ZIP IT!” Some people never learned that. Why is the world so anxious to reach out & hurt others??? Do your best, we appreciate it. Blessings for a fabulous Lenten season & a Beautiful Easter!

16. Arianne says
    Posted February 19, 2018

that looks so delicious <3 I love your setup!