5 Great Podcasts

I listen to podcasts any chance I get! Anytime I’m in the car alone or doing a “mindless” task in my office, I have one going. Once I’m caught up on my regular podcasts, I’m always curious to find more, but that is a daunting task! There are SO MANY options available now, and it’s hard to know where to start! Below are 5 of my favorite podcasts, with #5 being admittedly a bit early to add to the “favorites” list.

1. How I Built This with Guy Raz – I could listen to these episodes forever. Not only is Guy an easy person to listen to and very conversational in the interviews, but the stories that are told by these entrepreneurs are so fascinating. I’m not lying when I say I feel so inspired after listening to each one! I’ve listened to nearly every single episode already and am dying for new ones to come out! I’ve even considered going to a live show if it ever happens near me!
  2. Young House Love Has A Podcast – I love hearing what John and Sherry are up to. Their show is light and easy to listen to, and I find them funny and entertaining. I love their helpful segments on design or decor challenges, and their reader question episodes.
  3. This American Life – Always great storytelling on thought-provoking topics. I like listening to this podcast even when I disagree with their views, because it forces me to think about my opinions on a certain issue as well.
  4. Terrible, Thanks for Asking – I usually avoid dark or heavy topics because I can easily become consumed by something that will haunt me throughout the night. I’ve selected a few of these episodes to listen to and while the subjects can be hard to swallow, it’s been equally eye opening and at some times inspiring to hear how Nora’s guests persevere through hard times.
  5. Business Wars – I must admit I’m new to this one so it’s a little presumptuous to put it on a favorites list, but I think I’ll really like it as it continues to roll out new episodes. The host is a little monotone in his retelling of certain stories, but the topics are so interesting to me that I can get past that.

I’d love to hear some of your favorites! Please leave some in the comments below so I can check them out!

SaveSave

SaveSave

1. Kasey says
    Posted February 19, 2018

“From Scratch” with Jessica Harris and “The Splendid Table.” I also really like “Car Talk.” Those guys make me literally laugh out loud. I’m not even interested in cars, but they make it entertaining.

Posted February 19, 2018

I have CRACKED up at Car Talk–those guys are so funny!

2. Leslie says
    Posted February 19, 2018

I love getting new podcast recs! The Happy Hour with Jamie Ivey and The Popcast are two of my faves!

• Mackensie says
      Posted February 19, 2018

I second Happy Hour with jamie Ivey!!

• Sara Hardin says
      Posted February 19, 2018

The Popcast is my absolute fave!

• Emily Olson says
      Posted February 21, 2018

I also love the Popcast. Knox and Jamie just started a new podcast called The Bible Binge. The first episode was entertaining.

3. Amanda Chase says
    Posted February 19, 2018

I’ve been listening to Stuff You Should Know with Josh Clark and Chuck Bryant. The topics are fascinating and fact/research-based, they range from “How the Underground Railroad Worked” and “How Bath Salts Work”, to “How Breastfeeding Works”. The hosts are witty and charming and the episodes range from 30-70 minutes each so I can pick one from the archives (which are MANY) to suit the appropriate time slot I have to listen. I’ve been enjoying them on my commute to and from work for the past few months and I’m hooked! Highly recommend!

4. Danielle says
    Posted February 19, 2018

The Selfie podcast is a great one! Hosted by Sarah James and Kristen Howerton. It is a hoot! They talk about self care and lately the enneagram. So good!

5. Posted February 19, 2018

Thank you for the list of recommendations! Totally going to give at least one of these a try. 🙂

6. Cassidy says
    Posted February 19, 2018

How I Built This is one of my favorites, too! I also like TED Radio Hour, Criminal, Thr Moth, Modern Love, Slow Burn. I’m currently listening to Accused. I have a wide variety of podcasts I like to listen to.

7. Rena says
    Posted February 19, 2018

Thanks for sharing all the great podcasts!
    xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena

8. Amanda says
    Posted February 19, 2018

Coffee and Crumbs is a really great mama podcast. They talk all things motherhood and their podcasts always leave me laughing and feeling less overwhelmed with all things motherhood!

• Melissa says
      Posted February 20, 2018

I second Coffee and Crumbs!

9. Kelley says
    Posted February 19, 2018

Chris Loves Julia (home design, esp if you like YHL!)

• Kelley says
      Posted February 19, 2018

Oh also, Judge John Hodgeman- so funny!!

Posted February 19, 2018

oh yes I heard them interviewed on the YHL podcast actually!

10. Emily Donaldson says
    Posted February 19, 2018

Serial (season 1) is amazing! Up and Vanished is my absolute favorite. And I’m currently listening to Atlanta Monster which is way good! These are all true crime, but they aren’t scary. I’m the biggest wuse.

• Stevie says
      Posted February 19, 2018

I just listened to those too! Try “They walk among us” next- they are all 30 min long and different stories that are true U.K. Crimes and how they were solved!

• Sandy says
      Posted February 19, 2018

Yes to Up and Vanished and Atlanta Monster….riveting!

11. Susan says
    Posted February 19, 2018

Sorta Awesome, The Happy Hour with Jaime Ivey, and the Big Boo Cast are my favorites. The Next Right Thing is good too.

• Edie says
      Posted February 19, 2018

Yes, the Big Boo Cast!! I love Sophie and Melanie!

• Susan says
        Posted February 20, 2018

Me too! I always laugh when I listen to them!

• Sandy says
        Posted February 20, 2018

I love the BigBoo cast, too! Sophie and Melanie always make me laugh. I also love the Popcast. The Bible Binge is a new show just launched by Knox and Jamie and it’s very entertaining.

• Crystal says
      Posted February 20, 2018

So glad there’s an awesome in here! I listen to SOOOO many podcasts and am trying to pare down my list, but Sorta Awesome introduced me to podcasts and remains my all time fave!

• Susan says

Crystal,
        Hello fellow awesome!!! I love podcasts as well! So many podcasts..so little time!

12. Jenny says
    Posted February 19, 2018

The Happier podcast with Gretchen Rubin is easily my favorite podcast. I look forward to each episode and am sad when it is over. Great happiness tricks and productivity and life hacks.

• Natalie says
      Posted February 19, 2018

Have you listened to ‘Happier in Hollywood’?! It’s my favorite. I used to love the original Happier, but like Hollywood so much more these days.

13. Kimberly Kent says
    Posted February 19, 2018

That Sounds Fun with Annie F. Downs is a great Christian Women’s Popcast as well! I LOVE The Happy Hour with Jaime Ivey too.

14. Posted February 19, 2018

I am new to podcasts and pleased you listed How I Built This as #1. It was one of the first I found and I became addicted! I knew YHL has one, I just haven’t listened yet. Need to find more time for podcasts!

15. Lindsay says
    Posted February 19, 2018

Happier by Gretchen Rubin is my favorite.

16. Allie says
    Posted February 19, 2018

I can’t wait to listen to How I Built This. Thank you so much for the recommendations, these all sound great. xAllie http://www.theallthatglittersblog.com

17. Tiffany says
    Posted February 19, 2018

My favorite is RadioLab. It is a science and technology podcast and they are funny. The last episode was about plants and how they can learn things and possibly listen!

18. Cheryl says
    Posted February 19, 2018

The Chris Loves Julia podcast! Similar to Young House Love with great design tips and fun banter with the host.

19. Ryann Carter says
    Posted February 19, 2018

I love This American Life. It’s so interesting to hear about people from across the country! I love Jenna Kutcher’s Goal Digger. She is fantastic!

20. Andrea says
    Posted February 19, 2018

It’s a new one, but I’ve been loving “Women’s Work” by Tsh Oxenreider.

21. Rebecca says
    Posted February 19, 2018

I like PairaDocs – they explore all kinds of subjects. BrainsOn! Is a great kids one. They get questions from kids and answer them in fun and interesting ways. My 5 and 7 year olds love this one.

22. Tali says
    Posted February 19, 2018

Curious what you disagree with on This American Life?

23. Lisa C says

The Popcast with Knox and Jamie
    The LazyGenius
    The Bible Binge

Hope you enjoy! 🙂

24. Carrie says
    Posted February 19, 2018

Jen Hatmakers “For the Love” podcast is delightful, funny and inspiring! I would highly recommend it!

• Mandi says

Was just about to put this ! Love hers. Also have enjoyed Oprah’s super soul

25. Hannah says
    Posted February 19, 2018

WireTalk with Karen Stubbs from Birds on a Wire Ministry. To encourage and equip mom’s.❤️

26. Hannah Stark says
    Posted February 19, 2018

I really like S-Town and Revisionist History. Malcolm Gladwell has the most perfect voice for radio and covers some really fascinating topics. S-Town is produced by the same group as This American Life and the journalist doing the interviews made this a very compelling story.

• Sandy says
      Posted February 19, 2018

I couldn’t stop listening to S-Town.
      Totally agree about Malcolm, too.

27. Lindsay says
    Posted February 19, 2018

I grew up listening to Wait Wait Don’t Tell Me on Saturday mornings when I was little, and now I find myself listening to it on the NPR One app anytime I have a long drive! Paula Poundstlne is HILARIOUS, and I love a good laugh!

I really love How I Built This, too!! The Sara Blakey episode got my hooked.

28. Posted February 19, 2018

3in30 podcast! Insta @3in30

It’s 3 specific, usable parenting or life takeaways in 30 minutes! She did a big feature on Valentine’s Day and secret Cupid, but also has done series on grief, postpartum, and other things just focused on moms!

29. Wendy says
    Posted February 19, 2018

Revisionist History (Malcolm Gladwell), The Way I Heard it (Mike Rowe), and That Sounds Fun (Annie F. Downs)! I’m addicted to them, too!

30. Candi Fisher says
    Posted February 19, 2018

You should try American History Tellers. It’s great! Reminds me a lot of Business Wars, which I also love.

31. Amy says
    Posted February 19, 2018

Terrible Thanks for Asking was a delight!!! She is amazing. Messy Parenting is great too.

32. Posted February 19, 2018

Podcasts are my absolute favorite way to start my day, and I’m intrigued to check out “Terrible, Thanks for Asking” after reading your description! I wrote about my favorite podcasts a couple of weeks ago, if anyone is interested!

33. Kim says
    Posted February 19, 2018

I actually haven’t heard of any of these! I need to check them out. I always listen to Lady Gang, the skinny confidential, morning breath, and straight up with Stassi!

KIM

http://TRENDKEEPER.ME .. STRIPED DRESS & HOW TO GO TO NYFW!

34. Ualla says
    Posted February 19, 2018

Completely agree with How I Built this. I tell everyone about it. So good!!!
    My other favorites are “Marriage is Funny” and Jessie’s spin off podcast “The Perfect Wife”.

35. Amy L. says
    Posted February 19, 2018

I ABSOLUTLEY love Reply All. It is a podcast about the internet and it is fascinating!! Give a few episodes a try!

sounds interesting!

• Jamie says
      Posted February 19, 2018

I loooove reply all! And every little thing. And everything else from gimlet, too!

36. Jamie says
    Posted February 19, 2018

Awesome with Alison & Sounds Good with Branden Harvey (he interviews people like Ashley from The Shine Project, Ruthie Lindsey, & other positive influencers)

37. Susan Thomas says
    Posted February 19, 2018

Thanks for the list! S Town, Serial Season 1 and Launch are some of my favorites.

38. Jen says
    Posted February 19, 2018

Favorite podcast is “where should we begin” it’s an actual recording of a couples therapy session. My husband and I do therapy and it has really helped us communicate. Even for those that don’t do therapy these episodes are so eye opening to hear two different perspectives with no bias.

39. Aliecea Postma says
    Posted February 19, 2018

LOVE Guy’s podcast! Currently also loving For The Love with Jen Hatmaker. She interviews a variety of people based on her “theme”. For example, she interviews some food network stars when she had the them “For the love of Food” and shares their stories. Check it out 🙂

40. Angela says
    Posted February 19, 2018

I highly recommend Risen Motherhood! It’s encouraging & full of truth.

Posted February 19, 2018

I tried it but couldn’t get into it!

41. Mary Jane says
    Posted February 19, 2018

Do you ever listen to the Big Boo Cast??

• Posted February 19, 2018

Love these ladies. Read both of their books, read both of their blogs and die laughing at their conversations. =D

42. Michelene says
    Posted February 19, 2018

I’m leaving my first comment bc I love podcasts!!
    1. Happier-both with Gretchen Rubin and in Hollywood.
    2. Stand to Reason- defending Christianity. He speaks so well about life and being a Christian. Not preaching. Intelligent.
    3. What should I read next? I love her book suggestions. It has me reading more.

43. Posted February 19, 2018

I listen to mostly bookish podcasts so these are all Book Nerd stuff but I love talking about books! 🙂
    What Should I Read Next
    From the Front Porch

And two new (non book) ones:
    The Popcast
    The Bible Binge

44. Posted February 19, 2018

My favorite podcast is I’ll Have Another by Lindsey Hein. Lindsey is so down to earth and real (especially about parenting). Her podcast is so entertaining and while a lot of her guests are runners, I always feel like I just listened to a conversation between friends.

45. Shelly e. says
    Posted February 19, 2018

The Braincandy Podcast! It’s a great combo of funny, intelligent and witty.

46. Kristin says
    Posted February 19, 2018

I can’t believe no one mentioned My Favorite Murder! It may be an acquired taste for some, because the language can be iffy, but I laugh so hard at their commentary on true crime stories. I also love YHL, Dirty John was really good and a quick listen, S-Town, Janet Lansbury has an amazing parenting podcast that walks you through specific scenarios you may be struggling with. Love podcasts, they make mundane tasks fly by!

• Heather W says
      Posted February 21, 2018

mY Favorite Murder!!!!! Hands down the best podcast!

• Meagan says
        Posted May 27, 2018

Also a My Favorite Murder fan!

47. Christina says
    Posted February 19, 2018

The Moth, The Moth, The Moth!!! I can’t believe it’s only mentioned a couple times! It’s so good! dec 27 and Nov 7th are a few of my recent favs. Many different storytellers on various subjects. So good.

48. Ashlea Detweiler says
    Posted February 19, 2018

My current favorite podcast is Risen Motherhood! So refreshing and encouraging on our journey in motherhood.

49. Ashlea Detweiler says
    Posted February 19, 2018

Risen Motherhood!! So so good. I love how refreshing and encouraging it is on this journey of motherhood! (Sorry if this comment posted twice, my phone glitched when I posted the first time). Enjoy!

50. Chelsea says
    Posted February 19, 2018

99% Invisible and Planet Money are both really great and both ~20-30 minutes long which I appreciate. I find myself constantly saying “I heard a podcast about that” or “I learned from a podcast that…” and most of the time it’s something I learned from one of these two shows!

• Devon says
      Posted February 19, 2018

I second 99% invisible. It’s soooo good!

51. Stephanie says
    Posted February 19, 2018

Dax Shepherd has a new one called Armchair Expert that I’m loving. His first episode he interviews Kristin Bell!

52. Sandy says
    Posted February 19, 2018

Kate–I’m all about the podcast! Here are a few of my favorites:
    The Satellite Sisters
    Radiolab
    Reply All
    Car Talk
    Criminal
    Every Little Thing
    StartUp Podcast
    What Should I Read Next?

53. Devon says

Podcast that:
    Makes me think – Death, Sex and Money – (from their website) about the big questions and hard choices that are often left out of polite conversation. Host Anna Sale talks to celebrities you’ve heard of—and to regular people you haven’t—about the Big Stuff: relationships, money, family, work and making it all count while we’re here.
    Makes me laugh – Worst Ever Podcast – Hosted by Christine Lakin (Al from Step by Step) and Alaa Khaled, Worst Ever believes that pain is best served funny.
    Makes me want to watch movies – The Rewatchables – the newest film podcast from the Ringer Podcast Network, features HBO and The Ringer’s Bill Simmons and a roundtable of people from The Ringer universe discussing movies they can’t seem to stop watching.

54. Sarah says
    Posted February 19, 2018

I have to mention The Jules and Sarah Podcast! It’s two friends from the UK just being silly and fabulous, sharing stories about their lives. Oh, and their love of cheese. Super sweet and endearing.

55. Posted February 19, 2018

I love Dear Sugars, the Cheryl Strayed podcast. It’s like an advice podcast where people write in letters.

56. Ryann says
    Posted February 20, 2018

So many good ones mentioned already (and excited to have new recommendations to listen to)! Here are some of my faves that haven’t been mentioned yet…

Oprah Supersoul Conversations

On Being

Katie Couric

Good Life Project

Elise Gets Crafty

57. Melanie Davis says
    Posted February 20, 2018

I really enjoy the, “Where there’s Smoke” podcast and the “Robcast.” Thanks for the recs!

58. Cathy says
    Posted February 20, 2018

Check out Hey Human with Susan Ruth. She interviews a variety of humans and I always learn something new/interesting. Her interviews are casual but a word of caution the language is definitely adult, no listening in the car with kids.

59. Sarah says
    Posted February 20, 2018

In addition to many of the awesome podcasts that have already been mentioned, check out:

-Gravity Assist
    -Move Your DNA with Katy Bowman
    -The Science of Happiness

60. Leigh Anne says
    Posted February 20, 2018

The Lazy Genius! “Be a genius about the things that matter and lazy about the things that don’t”. She breaks down subjects and tasks we all deal with and goes over the most efficient way to complete them….cleaning the kitchen, cooking dinner, cleaning the bathroom. She also did a series on surviving the holidays and i LOVED it! She’s so relatable and practical! I always walk away with something i can use. I’m new to the Bible Binge but excited to listen!!

61. Jessica says
    Posted February 20, 2018

The Way I Heard It is so good! They’re quick, true stories and you don’t find out who or what they’re actually about until the very end.

62. Rachel says
    Posted February 20, 2018

Sooooo, super stupid question, but how/where do you listen to a podcast? I’ve literally never listened to one, but am so intrigued to start. 🙂

• Kiara says
      Posted February 22, 2018

Many have websites you can stream from, or use an app like Stitcher, Podbay, SoundCLoud, etc.

63. Anne says
    Posted February 20, 2018

Surprised no one has mentioned ‘The Best of Both Worlds’ by Laura Vanderkam and Sarah Hart-Unger. They discuss work/life balance, career development, parenting, time management, productivity, and making time for fun as a mom.

• Katie says
      Posted February 22, 2018

Thanks for the recommendation, pregnant with #2 and having a hard time with work/family balance!

64. Hilary says
    Posted February 20, 2018

God Centered mom – sooooo heart filling!

65. Suzanne says
    Posted February 21, 2018

1. We’re No Doctors (Busy Philipps–hilarious)
    2. Armchair Expert
    3. Katie Couric
    4. Pod Save America
    5. Young House Love Has a Podcast

• Katie says
      Posted February 22, 2018

Been wanting to listen to Armchair expert but waiting for it to come out on android friendly server(like Stitcher).

66. April says
    Posted February 21, 2018

My friend and I actually just launched a new podcast called Being Women. We interview different women about how they keep God at the center of their lives. Would love for you to listen!

67. Christina says
    Posted February 21, 2018

This might be a really dumb question but how do you listen to podcasts? Is there an app to downloand?

Posted February 21, 2018

There is an app on the iPhone but you can also download other apps to listen like “stitcher”

68. Katie says
    Posted February 22, 2018

How I built this is also one of my favorites! Reply all is also GREAT! It’s a “podcast about the internet” so essentially it mixes tech + social interactions, which is a terrible description, but since you work on so many social media platforms, I think you would like it

69. Janelle says
    Posted February 22, 2018

Among the Lillies is great! I think you’d enjoy it 🙂

70. Erin says
    Posted February 22, 2018

The Opendoor Sisterhood by Alexandra Kuykendall and Krista Gilbert is fantastic!!! It is Christian based and focused on Moms with kids under 18. It is really encouraging and informative. I think you would love it;)

71. Kimberly says
    Posted February 23, 2018

The Simple Show w/Tsh Oxenreider is by far my favorite.

72. Gabrielle says
    Posted February 25, 2018

The lazy genius. They’re short which I like.

73. Posted February 25, 2018

Armchair Expert with Dax Shepherd!

74. Chantelle says
    Posted February 25, 2018

Thanks Kate, im always on the hunt for new podcasts! I’m secretly waiting for yours to come out – hint hint 😂.
    I love YHL too. Im also loving Mother Like A Boss (Kendra Hennessey) and The Purpose Show (Allie Casazza).

75. Marybeth says
    Posted February 25, 2018

I love The Longest Shortest Time with Hillary Frank. All about Parenthood! “It’s a real mother” was a great series on mother’s working/SAHM/etc. great piece!

76. Aleeha says
    Posted February 25, 2018

I’m always looking for new podcasts, thank you for sharing these!
    Aleeha xXx

77. Rebekah Woodall says
    Posted February 25, 2018

Up & Vanished, Serial- season 1, Atlanta Monater, Dirty John- these are all true ‘ who done it’ type of stories.

• Rebekah Woodall says
      Posted February 25, 2018

*Atlanta Monster

78. Angie says
    Posted February 25, 2018

“Levar Burton Reads”. Levar, from “Reading Rainbow,” reads short functional stories for adults. They are enjoyable & well done!

79. Kristin says
    Posted February 25, 2018

1, 3 and 4 are on my list already. I’ll have to check out the other two. A few good ones I like off the top of my head are Every Little Thing, Planet Money and Science vs (they are in between seasons right now but I have back listened to all the past episodes. ). Oh and Selfie podcast is a great one too about self-care and stuff.

80. Jennifer says
    Posted February 25, 2018

I love a good podcast too. Annie F Downs is hilarious and has such great guests. She swqsy to listen to and stop and start if I need too.
    Big fan of Up and. vanished. The young man who started the podcasts went to school with my children and so it has intrigued me even more to know how fast his podcast grew. He does a great job with this story without getting gory.
    I love Business boutique with Christy Wright. So creative and great ideas for those who own their own business.
    Fun Therapy with Mike Foster. Very insightful and uplifting.
    This American Life. Just good
    Radio Lab so interesting. They take one topic and look at it from so many sides.

81. Cherie says
    Posted February 25, 2018

Joyce Meyer!

82. Crystal says
    Posted February 25, 2018

I’m also a big fan of YHLHAP. I also really enjoy For the Love with Jen Hatmaker and Ask a Clean Person. Mortified Podcast and Hardcore Hostory are also pretty great.

83. Patricia says
    Posted February 26, 2018

You have got to listen to The Model Health Show by Shawn Stephenson. Everything you thought you knew about your health and wellness will be questioned and answered by Shawn.

84. Uta says
    Posted February 28, 2018

One of my favorite podcasts is The Happy Hour with Jamie Ivey. She’s a Christian who interviews other influential and amazing Christian women.

Also, who colors your hair? I’m a local in the Triangle and really need someone good to color/highlight my hair!!!

Posted March 1, 2018

I color it myself right now, but I’ve had a great experience with Jordan at Douglas Carol Salon!

85. Cris says
    Posted February 28, 2018

Christy Nockels’ podcast “Glorious in the Mundane” is so gentle, thoughtful, and encouraging!

86. Amy S. says
    Posted May 27, 2018

I love NPR’s Planet Money podcast. My hubby is an Econ prof but it was my worst subject. I feel like this is my chance at remedial
    studies! The Indicator is another favourite. The hosts are very real and entertaining while being educational!

87. Cicily says
    Posted May 27, 2018

I have a dark side toe that most a lot of my friends don’t know about. I love true crime. I understand these podcasts are for everyone, but if you like true crime you’ll like these:
    Generation Why
    The Most Notorious
    Up and Vanished
    Someone Knows Something

88. Cheryl says
    Posted May 27, 2018

Sorta Awesome
    Smartest Person in the Room

89. Ashley says
    Posted May 27, 2018

I too love How I Built This—but find it’s bad for my budget! Am I the only one who wants to go out and buy whatever the person sells after hearing their story??
    I reccomend Nora’s books too!!

90. Amber says
    Posted May 27, 2018

Thank you for inspiring me to write my own on my blog!!! I did include your channel and blog in my post of my 7 favorite YouTubers.

91. Ally says
    Posted May 28, 2018

A Slob Comes Clean!! She has great practical advice on how to maintain a clean and organized house.

92. Jamie says
    Posted May 28, 2018

The Big Boo Cast, The Popcast w/Jamie & Knox, Thr Bible Binge, That Sounds Fun w/ Annie F. Downs

93. Amy says
    Posted May 28, 2018

Love # 4 ! I also love Messy Parenting. Wish I had it around when my kids were little.

94. Joy says
    Posted May 28, 2018

I love NPR’s Ask Me Another, but I am a trivia nut.