How I style my little boys’ hair

I’ve always preferred short little men’s haircuts for my little boys. Not only do I think it’s adorable, but there’s also less risk of it getting in their eyes and MORE IMPORTANTLY… it’s easier to get peanut butter out of shorter hair.

I did hair for about 10 years before having kids and diving full on into the blog, so I knew I would always cut my kids’ hair. I have to say, they have both been excellent clients from the start. Because I started cutting it so early, and it’s always in the comfort of our own home, they’ve never strongly protested. As they are getting older, Youtube + a sweet treat has proved to be an effective form of bribery, which I’m all for when it comes to sitting still for a haircut.

Luke and David’s hair could not be more different. Luke’s is blonde, thick, and stick straight. David’s is sort of like a taupe non-color, which is exactly what my natural color is too. His hair is thinner and fine. It lays more flat without much natural “strength”.

I shared a timelapse video of me cutting David’s hair a few weeks ago, if you care to watch, but I thought I’d share today how I style the boy’s hair, along with some tips!

I don’t like using gel because it’s too wet looking and can be pretty unforgiving. If you mess up gelled hair, it’s hard to fix it.

I’ve been using this clay since I started putting product in their hair and it’s been perfect for both of their textures.

To begin, I sit them up on the kitchen counter and wet their hair with water. I can usually part Luke’s hair with my hands, but I have a comb nearby for parting David’s.

While their hair is still quite wet, I’ll grab a dime sized amount of the clay, and rub it all over my palms.

Next, I’ll rake my fingers through their hair, following the way the hair is laying while it’s wet, and once the direction has been established, I’ll push down on it with my hands and run my palms over both sides.

And that’s it! Their hair will dry within about 10-15 minutes, and the finished look will be more on the matte/dry side versus a wet gelled look.

I follow the same process with David, and sometimes use a comb to push it over a bit more since it’s so fine.

Besides the finish, I love that I can just add water to their hair post-nap or post-crazy outside playing to freshen it up. It doesn’t need more clay!

A few extra tips for styling little boys’ hair:

1. Let them be “involved” if you can. If they can hold the container of whatever product you are using, they may feel like their are helping!
  2. Don’t style it until they are dressed and you are about to head out the door!
  3. A wet paper towel is a fast and simple way to wet down hair if the spray bottle causes stress.
  4. The more wet their hair is before applying product, the more thinned out and “softer” the product will become. Conversely, the more dry the hair is, the stiffer and stronger the product will be.

More posts about my sweet boys here and here!

1. Posted May 2, 2017

Peanut butter out of hair is a great practical reason! Cute photos!

2. Courtney says
    Posted May 2, 2017

I have a boy who just turned one and have been wondering about which product to use in his hair. This post was perfect timing- thank you!

3. Rachel says
    Posted May 2, 2017

Thanks for the wet paper towel trick!! My son hates the spray bottle when I try to style or trim his hair. I’ll have to try that next time!

4. Posted May 2, 2017

These pictures are so stinking’ cute! They look like such little men!
    Xo, Elizabeth

5. Jessica says
    Posted May 2, 2017

Do you have tips on giving them a trim? I’m tired of it costing a fortune every time my little guy needs a hair cut but am a little nervous about attempting it myself.

• Christy says
      Posted May 3, 2017

We bought hair clippers on Amazon for $25 and buzz my 2 year-old son’s head to a “size 4”. It has saved us tons of $ and my hubby does his now as well. He looks adorable (well, they both do) and it’s minimal stress because you don’t have to really get out the scissors except for the very back. That’s just a few snips to clean it up if needed. For Kate, she’s an amazing hairdresser so she’s more comfortable with the scissors. I’m not!

• Sarah O says
        Posted May 3, 2017

I also purchased a trimmer/clipper set when my first son was almost 2. It’s been about 5 years since then and after awhile you figure out (trial and error) how to use scissors to blend and cut bangs. I can now do a better job than Great Clips and I have no training. lol

6. Alyssa says
    Posted May 2, 2017

They’re so sweet!

7. KellyG says
    Posted May 2, 2017

It is such a pleasure to watch these two grow up. They are just so dang cute! Although I do miss Luke sayi8ng “PASTAH”!!!!

8. Melanie says
    Posted May 2, 2017

While I know the haircut should be left to the professionals – any tips for a quick trim & clean-up of your son’s hair – I hate spending the money to just trim up above his ears and front.
    Thanks and your boys are adorable!

9. Posted May 2, 2017

Thank you for the tips! I have limited hairstyling abilities for girls (although my daughter is cool with a pair of french braid which somehow I can do) and even less for my son! I can’t wait to pick up this clay and get him looking fresh!

10. Jennifer Baker says
    Posted May 2, 2017

Thank you so much for posting these tips. We have an almost 3 year old and 6 month old boys. My oldest has thick coarse hair (I have naturally curly… poor guy). I am excited to try the clay, you mentioned, to keep it in place. Also, if you have any tips on what to tell the stylist when they are cutting his hair. He’s had a few bad ones that make him look like one of the stooges 😬

11. Katie says
    Posted May 2, 2017

Your boys are certainly adorable and very stylish! I especially love how they’ve decorated their socks… I’m pretty sure that was their addition to the shoot! 😉

12. Whitney says
    Posted May 2, 2017

Thank you! I have a one year old son and just trimmed his hair last night. Your tips were super helpful and I’m going to have to look into getting some of that product when he has more hair to style. Your boys are so sweet. I love that their socks are sticker covered. My kids would do the same thing.

13. Posted May 2, 2017

I have 3 (soon to be four!) boys , and I’ve always preferred the short mini-man haircuts also! My problem is 2 out of my 3 boys absolutely HATE getting their hair cut, so I tend to prolong haircuts as long as possible. But I love it when it’s styled like this ! Your boys are absolutely adorable!

14. Tracy says
    Posted May 2, 2017

You boys are so adorable! This post made me smile, because my son’s opinion of doing hair has been funny. When he was 8, or so I told him he needed to comb his hair, because it had gotten a tad long. His protest? “But Mum, I don’t know how!” I realised he had never actually used a comb, because his hair was short. Now, as a 16yo, when I asked if he’d like to have a nice hair style like his boy cousins (a year either side of him), he said “Nup. It’s just hair Mum”.

Having said that, I’m the only one allowed to cut that hair. I’m no hairdresser, so I use clippers to sheer it back to looking like a real boy again.

15. Melanie says
    Posted May 3, 2017

How old were they when you started using the clay? My son is 8 months and has hair that used to stick up like a faux-hawk when he was teeny, but once his actual hair came in, it lays flat like David’s.

16. Donna says
    Posted May 3, 2017

Your little guys are so cute and I love the stickers on their socks <3

17. Sarah says
    Posted May 3, 2017

My son has opposite cowlicks on either side of his widows peak. So far I’ve just buzzed him with the clippers but I am wondering how to deal with his unique hairline as he starts to have an opinion about his hair. He’s almost 3.

18. Katy says
    Posted May 3, 2017

I have used kids gel and some of my husbands paste in my sons thick straight hair to keep it parted to the side but it never holds for the whole day. Do you think this clay will stay all day for kids with a little longer hair in the front? I am in desperate need because I hate that his hair falls in his face and looks like a bull cut when its not styled to the side!

19. Jennifer says
    Posted May 3, 2017

Wow! What a difference. I have a 16 month old boy and things are starting to get unruly…might have to give this a try now (or certainly down the line). I’d be interested in any recos for all-natural styling products, too!

20. Elizabeth says
    Posted May 4, 2017

I have a little man & I can appreciate this post! My son’s hair either looks too bed headish or too styled, this seems like a nice n between : )

21. Brielle says
    Posted October 12, 2017

Love this post! I have 17 month old twin boys and have had the hardest time styling their hair. Have tried so many gels/sprays but going out and getting this today! Thank you!

22. Mandy says
    Posted October 12, 2017

Love this! After learning to give my husband his “army cut” for drill every month, I decided I’d cut my son’s hair too. I have no training but through trial and error I think I’ve gotten his styled cut figured out. I’ve been using some Axe hair product that my husband got for my son but wasn’t super impressed so I’ll have to look for this clay stuff!

23. Jess says
    Posted October 12, 2017

Would you recommend this product to help “hold up” a Mohawk? My son is dead set on a Mohawk and we can never get it to stay up using what we have. Which includes a paste, two different super strong hold gels, and Kenra 22. Help! Please.

24. Sheryl says
    Posted November 28, 2017

Very cute!
    I would LOVE to hear your ideas on what products to use on thick CURLY hair. My kids are not small anymore but they all have thick curly hair that they/I struggle with because it’s opposite of my own. I want them to embrace their beautiful ringlets without the sticky or crunchy wet look. HELP.

25. Brooke says
    Posted December 2, 2017

Thank u for your tips. I am great at doing my little girls hair but am always clueless when it comes to my son. His is extremely fine and blonde so whatever i do to it only lasts about ten minutes tops!

26. Posted December 5, 2017

It is indeed a good article for boys hair styling. Must Read!