Everyday Waves

beauty-closet-2

The thing about being a blogger, especially with what I do here, is that you have too much photographic evidence that is available to the public displaying some bad hair choices.

I used to be a hairspray addict and I wish I would have gone a bit lighter on the use so my hair, I don’t know, MOVED a little bit.

Anyway, I’ve relaxed a bit with it recently, and have loved these loose and casual “everyday” waves. They wear so easily, and I can usually get a second day out of them with only a quick touch up.

In fact on Snapchat a few weeks back, I told you that they are what I call “nothing waves”, because they are so casual and effortless. If you don’t follow on snapchat, you can find me at K8_smallthings!

In the video I used a 1 1/2 inch Babyliss curling iron, a cricket comb, Living Proof Full Dry Volume Blast and Kenra Volume 25 hairspray.

beauty-closet-3

beauty-closet

I always love seeing your recreations of my tutorials on Instagram, so when you post a pic, use the tag #smallthingshair !

For more hair tutorials, check out Laced Half Up and my Tied Up Updo!

1. Danielle says
    Posted December 1, 2016

Can you give a suggestion for hair that will not hold a curl? I’ve tried several kinds of mousse, spraying with hairspray before curling, texture spray, using hairspray after, etc etc and nothing works. Any tips or specific products you’d recommend?

2. Liz says
    Posted December 1, 2016

How are you putting your hair up in a pony tail at night after your shower? My hair always gets a big bump from the ponytail holder?

Posted December 1, 2016

I wait for my hair to cool and then put it in a loose ponytail with a soft fabric elastic holder!

3. Colleen S says
    Posted December 1, 2016

At what point did you use the two styling products? Also, you leave the ends out of the curling iron. Is that to avoid damage. Thanks!

• Janine says
      Posted December 6, 2016

Along the same lines, how do you avoid a dent when you leave your ends out?

• Sara says
        Posted December 7, 2016

i would love to know as well!! this always happens to me :/

4. Posted December 1, 2016

Great look! I love waves but never have the time to do them anymore. You make it look easy.

Blush & Pearls by Angela

5. Jamie says
    Posted December 1, 2016

What size curling iron would you suggest for shorter hair? I likethe loose look and sometimes my hair feels too curly for being above my shoulders. Thanks

• Ali says
      Posted December 1, 2016

Yes! I run into the same thing!

• Amanda says
        Posted December 2, 2016

I third this!

• katie says
          Posted December 6, 2016

me too – was just about to ask the same question. For a long bob (shoulder lengthish) – still use a 1.5″?

• Mary Lou says
            Posted January 1, 2017

Same here!!

• Sarah says
      Posted February 9, 2017

I’m wondering if anyone got an answer on this? I have a shoulder length-ish long bob as well and am wondering what size barrel would be best.

6. Trish says
    Posted December 1, 2016

Love your lipstick in these pictures! Do you mind sharing what it is? Thanks!

• Andrea says
      Posted December 1, 2016

Yes! Agree! I’d love to know your lip color – it’s stunning!

• Brooke says
      Posted December 2, 2016

It’s the Tarte Amazonian Butter Lipstick in watermelon. She posted this same picture a few weeks back with lipstick details!

• Angie says
        Posted December 21, 2016

Yay, thank you, Brooke! Did she happen to give a link for her tee in that previous post as well? I see lots of people are asking that with no response. Thanks again for the lipstick tip!

7. Ana says
    Posted December 1, 2016

So pretty! Do you do anything to your hair to keep it looking heathy and prevent damage? My curls never last a second day and I feel bad styling or curling every single day.

8. Joanne Talbot says
    Posted December 1, 2016

Absolutely love this look, have taken your pic in to my own hairdresser. Would love to see a tutorial on your fringe.. aka bangs. Cant quite get mine right… I know there are past videos but I would like to see with this look how you blowdry, style, what brush or comb etc.. Thank you so much. Ever Grateful..

• Becky says
      Posted December 1, 2016

I’ve taken your pics to my stylist, too!! I’ve never, ever seen any evidence of any bad hair choices on your blog! Just evidence of style evolution that we all go through. 🙂 Personally, I really like your hair in the hair-spray days. I never could achieve that volume on my own hair, so I always admired yours! Thanks for sharing all your fabulous wisdom with us readers! 🙂

9. Kristen says
    Posted December 1, 2016

Loving the loose waves! I’ve followed your tutorials before and my hair is so grateful. 🙂

10. Ellie says
    Posted December 1, 2016

I’d also like to know name of that lip color. So pretty!

11. jen says
    Posted December 1, 2016

such a gorgeous hair look, i love it!
    jen / velvet spring xx

12. Kris says
    Posted December 1, 2016

I would LOVE a tutorial on your current bangs right now too!

And, how about a bang tutorial for those of us who work out in the morning, use a headband to hold our hair back, and don’t want to wash our hair (dry shampoo to the rescue)? I try not to wash my hair every day, but since cutting it short and cutting in bangs, I’m not sure how to restyle bangs after working out in a headband in the morning. Or maybe there’s a better way to “take care of” bangs during a workout that I’m missing?!

13. Crystal says
    Posted December 1, 2016

Love the hair tell us about the color. How do you get your root color?

14. Posted December 1, 2016

Love the babyliss curling iron ! One of the best !

15. Alyssa says
    Posted December 1, 2016

I have long thick hair (about 4+” longer than yours) and I’ve been looking for a curling iron for everyday styling. Is this one you would recommend or I should I look for one maybe with a longer barrel (if possible?) Open to suggestions!

16. kratom says

17. Posted December 1, 2016

So pretty! 🙂

18. Posted December 1, 2016

Where is your light gray top from that you are wearing in your photos? Love it!

19. Janelle says
    Posted December 1, 2016

What would you recommend for someone with mid-length hair to achieve a similar look? Also, I would love to hear your recommendations how how to ask your stylist to cut your layers tolook good with curled and straight hair. Mine looks terrible right now when its curled! Yuck!

20. Jennifer says
    Posted December 1, 2016

Can you tell me what lipstick you are wearing in this post??? Your waves are beautiful and make-up is perfect.

21. Cindy says
    Posted December 1, 2016

Yes, what lipstick are you wearing…..would love to know

22. Posted December 2, 2016

Hi! I’ve followed your suggestions forever and really appreciate every post you do.
    I’m looking for a new curling iron and remember that you have mentioned the GHD iron in the past. Do you like the BaByliss better for long hair?
    My hair doesn’t hold curl well even though it has body. It’s been suggested, by a salesperson, that I go down to a 1 in barrel. Do you agree that that might work with long hair?

23. Posted December 2, 2016
  24. Beth says
    Posted December 2, 2016

Hey Kate, where is your gray tshirt from?

25. Posted December 4, 2016

Curl spooning (as I call it) makes me nuts! But I can’t curl in different directions. If I try to go toward my face, it gets all wonky. I think it’s because I’m SO right-handed.

I’ve wondered with that spray if you tease first or spray first. Even though I have thick hair, I LOVE this spray too! My hair can get really heavy even though it isn’t straight. This stuff has helped so much. It’s an investment, though.

26. Ashli says
    Posted December 4, 2016

Rocking those bangs! I love them.

27. Mel says
    Posted December 5, 2016

Beautiful look!!! I sooo need to try this!!!!

Mel | http://www.thegossipdarling.com

28. Posted December 7, 2016

I have no idea how to use a curling iron, but a wand is pretty easy. I think I need to invest in a larger barrel though to get these looser waves. So cute!

29. Sam says
    Posted January 2, 2017

Hi Kate! Love your posts, thank so much for sharing them with us.
    I am interested in how your hair regimen has changed over the years. For example, been watching your older hair videos and you seemed to have been a big fan of aquage uplifting foam, but don’t seem to mention it now at all in your current posts.
    What would you say your go-to hair products are these days, especially for volume and holding curls?
    Sam

• Ashton says
      Posted February 15, 2017

I second this!!! Is there an updated video with your daily routine?

Love the blog Kate!!

Posted February 16, 2017

I’m doing nothing different! Same technique!

30. Amber says
    Posted January 18, 2017

These pictures of you are stunning! I love your tutorials. =)

31. Katie says
    Posted February 1, 2017

I need a class on how to curl my hair like this. For the LIFE of me, I just can’t get it.

32. Heather says
    Posted February 5, 2017

Very cute!

33. Anna says
    Posted February 8, 2017

🙁 can’t see the video. All black. Bummers!

34. Posted February 23, 2017

Best beautyforever hair

35. Tanya Burkhart says
    Posted March 14, 2017

Hi Kate!

I would love to see this tutorial again with your shorter hair (which just so happens to be my hair length) because I know it will curl differently with less length. Thanks!

36. Hillari says
    Posted March 22, 2017

Hi! I’m looking for your color formula you had mentioned in the past to get that Balayage Rooty look and can’t find it anywhere, would you mind sharing your formula shades color?? Thank you so much!!
    Hillari

37. Sheila says
    Posted May 15, 2017

I love this tutorial! Thank you for sharing. Curling in the opposite direction makes a huge difference.

38. Posted May 27, 2017

I naturally had long curly hair and was bored so i searched on google how to keep the hair naturally the options came i selected it.Tried the tips it really worked now i use the tips always after week and now my hair is silky,straight,smooth n shiny…