The Command Center

View More: http://jordanmaunder.pass.us/small-things

Welcome to my command center! My husband insists on calling this the “mail room” because “command center” sounded too “space ship” so we’ve agreed to disagree.

View More: http://jordanmaunder.pass.us/small-things

I do quite a bit of online shopping now that I have 2 little kids, so we wanted to have a place to sort through mail and packages instead of having everything land in the kitchen. This room would originally be used for a home office, or library, but for us it’s a bit more of a catch all/sort though stuff sort of place. Returns are hung on the hooks, and shipments sit in here until they are opened.

View More: http://jordanmaunder.pass.us/small-things

View More: http://jordanmaunder.pass.us/small-things

This is probably one of my favorite rooms in the house. It came together just as I imagined it would and it serves a specific need that we had in our family.

View More: http://jordanmaunder.pass.us/small-things

View More: http://jordanmaunder.pass.us/small-things

View More: http://jordanmaunder.pass.us/small-things

My sister helped me pull this little gallery wall together above the sideboard and I love it. It’s directly across from the doorway so it’s the first thing you see when you look left upon entering my house.

photos by Jordan Maunder

Sideboard

White chairs (similar)

White Pedestal Table (similar)

Metal & wood shelving unit (originally from HomeGoods, similar)

Storage Ottoman

Floor Lamp

Metal crate (similar)

You’ve Got Mail sorter

Art – mostly from Minted

Key print

White metal wall container & rail

Glass dome

Chalkboard & pin board (similar)

Artificial plants

Tote (Fossil Ivy Tote, old)

You can also check out this post about our coffee bar and catch a few glimpses around the home here!

1. Posted January 27, 2016

What a helpful space! All of our mail and packages land on the console table just inside our front door. It would be lovely to have a designated place for them to go, but there’s no extra room at our house. 😉 Love the gallery wall!

2. Leslie says
    Posted January 27, 2016

Looks so cute! Do you have a picture of the entire room from the doorway?

• Posted January 27, 2016

I was wondering the same thing, Leslie! Beautiful space, Kate. 🙂

• Jen K says
      Posted January 27, 2016

I was thinking the same thing! What I can see looks beautiful, but it’s impossible to get a sense of the whole room.

3. Helen Strom says
    Posted January 27, 2016

Great idea to use an unused room for this! So much nicer than my dining room table! Love the striped bag. Please tell me where that is from!

4. Jenna says
    Posted January 27, 2016

One thing I never want to have on my to-do list: Call ghostbusters. Ha!

• Charlotte says
      Posted January 27, 2016

Exactly what I was thinking ha ha!

• Page says

Me too!

5. Bethany Gugliano says
    Posted January 27, 2016

Great job setting that up! I’m in the process of doing the same. Where is that calendar from? I love it!

6. Emilee Johnson says
    Posted January 27, 2016

Where is your lovely Calendar from? I have been looking for a nice simple wall calendar and I LOVE this one! ? thanks!

Posted January 27, 2016

My sister gave it to me, I’m not sure of the brand off the top of my head, sorry!

• Mary says
        Posted January 27, 2016

Maybe the brand name is on the back?

7. Rebecca says
    Posted January 27, 2016

LOVE this! Thanks so much for sharing. I’ve needed something like this in my house for a long time, but had yet to find a solution that fits our design style. This is perfect!

8. Chloe says
    Posted January 27, 2016

We just finished our command center last night! I found a desk for $20 on a web-sale, its beautiful, then decorated the very little space I have to make it come together. (The total project was under $100!) As a mom in college, I finally feel like I have my own little space to get homework and keep the family organized! I love your style, Kate!

9. Karissa says
    Posted January 27, 2016

Love it. Where is that bag from?

The Fossil outlet!

10. Aislinn Leonard says
    Posted January 27, 2016

This is adorable! I absolutely want this in my tiny apartment, but alas, that will have to wait for a bigger space. From where is the purse on the wall? I NEED it. So cute!

The Fossil outlet!

11. Meredith says
    Posted January 27, 2016

This is so perfect! Definitely using this as inspiration for our home office/command center that currently needs a little love.

12. Claire says
    Posted January 27, 2016

Love that shelf! And the whole area! Desperately need something like this in our home so our kitchen island isn’t the dumping ground!

Also- that bag is fabulous! Do you mind sharing where it is from?! 🙂

The Fossil outlet!

13. Mary says
    Posted January 27, 2016

would love to have that calendar also!

14. April says
    Posted January 27, 2016

Do you know where you got that little shelf with the cubbies and drawers on the sideboard? I could use something like that to organize all of our coupons and gift cards. Also where do you get all your picture frames?

15. Heather says
    Posted January 27, 2016

I love that you’re using your space to fit your needs! Too often I see formal dining rooms or guest bedrooms that go unused 90% of the time that families could utilize in a functional way for daily life.

16. Susan says
    Posted January 27, 2016

So cute, but MY husband would have that piled up with tools, junk mail, probably his socks etc. He just will NOT put anything back to where it belongs. sigh~

• Joni says
      Posted January 27, 2016

My husband is the same! I took a box that was bound for the recycle bin and I put his stuff in there after it has sat on the kitchen bar for a couple days. He knows where the box is and that’s usually his first stop now when looking for something 😉 He’ll use something from it, leave it out somewhere, and I’ll put it in the box. If it’s too big then I’ll put it somewhere in the garage. So far the system works.

17. Sarah Kristen says
    Posted January 27, 2016

Talk to me about that mini card-catalog looking thing. LOVE IT! Do you know where it came from?

18. Cindy says
    Posted January 27, 2016

Tell us more about the Fossil bag… it looks awesome! What material? What color? Any links to help us find it? TIA

19. Hannah Keller says
    Posted January 27, 2016

Love it! Quick Snapchat tour of the whole room later? Is it more of a room or a ‘nook’? Either way, super cute and functional!

20. Brigette says
    Posted January 27, 2016

Can you share your paint color? Love it!

21. Marah Reeves says
    Posted January 27, 2016

I’m curious to know what you mean by “Call Ghostbusters!”

22. Evelina says

SO pretty! I love it! And your handwriting is really pretty 🙂

23. Tara says
    Posted January 27, 2016

Kate, I have sure been enjoying these glimpses into your home. For somebody who claims to be a “terrible decorator,” I think you have beautiful taste! Everything is soft, pretty, and family-friendly. You shouldn’t be so hard on yourself! Please keep it up, I love it! 🙂

24. Alicia says
    Posted January 27, 2016

Kate, your decor skills are amazing! I love the style! By the way I love the Wirral paint color!

25. Posted January 27, 2016

Love this! I like having a dedicated spot for incoming and out-going items so you don’t have to clear the dining room table when you want to sit down and eat. Cause that is what happens. 🙂

26. Jeri says
    Posted January 27, 2016

This is so awesome & beautiful. Let me tell you how important an organized command center becomes once those 2 precious boys of yours start school. I have a 5th grader, 3rd grader, kindergartener & a preschooler and the endless amounts of papers that filter through this house would make your head spin. You are so prepared & organized you’ll never miss a beat. Bravo Ma Ma!

27. Ashley says
    Posted January 28, 2016

What a beautiful space!! I’m so envious of this room and I know it would make my husband happy not to have Everything end up on our dining room table!! You have great taste, thanks for sharing!!

28. susan says
    Posted January 28, 2016

An inspired space… well done!

29. Ashley says
    Posted January 28, 2016

Absolutely gorgeous!!! I think I need to make a space like this for us since I am toying with the idea of growing an at-home business. Our house is so small though! Do you mind me asking how many square feet your home is? I love all the spaces you have shared so far!!!

30. Posted January 28, 2016

I love everything about this room. I need a space like this! I have such a hard time putting together pieces that work together…your style, and this room, is exactly what I love, but I’m just not able to put it together myself. LOVE.

31. Emily says
    Posted January 29, 2016

Love this!
    We need to have better organization at the sorority I am the house director for to keep everything in check!

32. Taylor says
    Posted January 29, 2016

I can’t find simple metal wall hooks for my mudroom. Where did you buy yours?

33. Ellen says
    Posted January 31, 2016

Oh my gosh I love all of this! I need a place like this!

34. Karla says
    Posted February 3, 2016

Love this so much I copied it, kinda. Sending thanks for the inspo from Perth, Western Australia ?

35. stephanie says
    Posted April 13, 2016

I am trying to set up a Command Center in my new house. It’s the front room when you walk in and I’m having trouble positioning the desk. My husband thinks it looks like the receptionist welcoming people to the house. Do you have a full shot of the room and how it looks when you first walk in? Thanks!!

36. Glory says
    Posted January 20, 2017

Where did you get the hanging metal sorter, with two bins, and the shelf on the top?

37. Anna says
    Posted August 15, 2017

What is the make it happen folder? Love your command center

38. Jessica says
    Posted September 5, 2017

Hey Kate! Could you tell me where your calendar is from? I have been looking for a small wall calendar. Thanks so much!

Posted September 5, 2017