A Winter Smokey Eye

smokeyeye-1-2

It was so fun to create a really dramatic smokey eye look for this tutorial! I loved diving into the darker side of the Tartelette palette, and layering a few colors on top of each other!

I hope you enjoy the tutorial!!

smokeyeye-1-4

smokeyeye-2-2

smokeyeye-3-2

Products Used: Mac Painterly Paint PotTartlette eyeshadow paletteLancome Drama Liqui-pencil in Black NoirMaskcara IIID Foundation (full tutorial about that here!), Tarte Lights Camera Lashes, Make Up For Ever Full Cover ConcealerHourglass Arch Brow Pencil in Platinum BlondeShu Uermura lash curlerTarte 12 hour Amazonian Clay Blush in CelebratedFalse Lashes by Artemes

1. London says
    Posted December 31, 2015

This is beautiful !! I love these colours. Furthermore this smoky fits well with your skin tone.

2. Laurie says
    Posted December 31, 2015

Great tutorial. I’ve been wanting the Tartlette palette, seeing this just put me over the edge… I must have it ASAP

3. Rose says
    Posted December 31, 2015

Very beautiful! the tartlette palette is such great… I love that kind of make up!
    Have a great day!

• Teresa Murray says
      Posted December 31, 2015

Now you need to do a tutorial of how to take off the false eyelashes!! Ha!

4. Posted December 31, 2015

Wow! This is so pretty! Definitely saving for the future!

5. alexis says
    Posted December 31, 2015

Love your shirt! I am always looking for shirts that are simple with a little sparkle or something extra to make me feel put together. It’s hard as a momma of two to feel put together! Lol where did you get it from?

• Amy says
      Posted January 4, 2016

I was wondering the same thing!

6. Janna says
    Posted December 31, 2015

Love, love, love this look!! 🙂

7. Jenn says
    Posted December 31, 2015

So pretty! Also, love Macs paint pots! They are my daily go-to when I need a quick look!

8. Martie says
    Posted December 31, 2015

Smokin’ for New Year’s! Love it!

9. Lindsay Johnston says
    Posted December 31, 2015

I just ordered the Tartelette palette a few days ago and I was starting to regret it because off all of the matte shades. Thank goodness for your great tutorial. Your makeup looks are so good for the normal people out there.

10. Catie says
    Posted December 31, 2015

Seriously, how pretty can you get?!? Love this look on you!!

11. Posted December 31, 2015

You look so gorgeous in these pictures! Definitely need this palette in my life, love how easy you made it to create too 🙂

12. Nichelle says
    Posted December 31, 2015

You look stunning as always! Love your blog….glad I finally found you! Happy new year!

13. Ashli says
    Posted December 31, 2015

Love this look! Thanks, Kate. And, so beautiful!

14. Meg says
    Posted December 31, 2015

So pretty! Love to see a more dramatic look on you and it’s gorgeous! Cannot wait to try this myself!!

15. Emily Stalker says
    Posted December 31, 2015

I love this look. I just wish you showed the color of each of the shadows you put on so I could match it with what I have at home. I paused it at the end and I’ll wing it. ?

16. Angie says
    Posted December 31, 2015

Beautiful!! Loving the long hair too!

17. Noel M says

great NYE timing!

18. Posted December 31, 2015

One of my favorite looks on you Kate, simply stunning! Can’t wait to try 🙂

19. Posted December 31, 2015

Gorgeous! I love subtle smokey eyes! They are so elegant and beautiful!!

-Ashlee Michelle

20. Posted December 31, 2015

I love this look. What type of camera do you use for filming? I want to start filming makeup tutorials and I love the look of your filming. My family is in NC too, in Creedmoor which is right outside of Raleigh and Durham. I teach 2nd grade in Durham at a private school, am the children’s ministry director at our church in Durham,and we have 3 boys, 15, 12, and 6. I am 40 and want to make tutorials for ladies in my age range. I am not a professional makeup artist, I just lovr makeup and skincare and ALL things beauty. This is why I LOVE your blog and all of your hair and makeup tutorials. My coworkers ask about my makeup a lot and I help my friends with their makeup too. Sorry for the long comment!! Thanks for your advice!

21. Kristi says
    Posted December 31, 2015

I love this look! It’s dramatic without being overdone. I will definitely be trying this out soon.

Kristi | Be Loverly

22. Lee Ann says
    Posted December 31, 2015

Kate, you are stunning. This is a beautiful look on you!

23. Kara says
    Posted December 31, 2015

I loved this tutorial, I also have the tartlette pallet and I love it! It was fun to see a more dramatic makeup look, we all need those once in a while.

24. Debbie says
    Posted December 31, 2015

Crazy question: Do your eyelashes line up evenly in a row? Mine do not, which makes forming a straight/close to the edge eyeliner line basically impossible. I have not even ventured to try liquid liner. Or maybe my issue is that I have blonde lashes and don’t truly get mascara to the roots? These are serious first world issues, folks:)

25. tanya malwitz says

super cute!!!!

26. Brittany says
    Posted December 31, 2015

Kate, what shade are you in the concealer? Thanks!

• gail says
      Posted January 1, 2016

love your blog! would like to know the color of concealer also and how you cut your hair!
      you are beautiful and my go to always now! thanks for all you do!
      Happy New Year!

27. Liz says
    Posted December 31, 2015

Love this! Love your hair, too! What does the back look like?

28. Kasey says
    Posted December 31, 2015

Wow! You’re naturally gorgeous, but this look is simply stunning! Happy New Year!

29. Brooke Phagan says
    Posted December 31, 2015

What foundation did you use. Was it the contouring kit?

30. Tiffany says

STUNNING!!

31. Posted December 31, 2015

Your makeup looks amazing!! I just bought the Tartlette pallet and love it!

32. Tipling says
    Posted December 31, 2015

I LOVE this look, smoky purples are right up my alley (?) as I have similar skin tone to you. Question, I noticed you used the foundation all over your face. I looked at Maskara’s website and it is not marketed as an all over foundation. I typically like all over to hide redness/blemishes. If I were to purchase this product would it be the illuminator to use all over or which of the 4 did u use? Thanks!

• Brooke Phagan says
      Posted December 31, 2015

I am wondering the exact same thing!

• Brooke Phagan says
      Posted January 14, 2016

I’m bummed I never got this answered. 🙁

33. Katie says
    Posted December 31, 2015

This is the prettiest eye tutorial yet! Love it.

34. Ali says
    Posted December 31, 2015

I love your style! Can you tell me where you got your earrings? Super cute!

35. Rebekah says
    Posted January 1, 2016

Loved the video tutorial. Check out the tartlette 2 (in bloom) palette as well which has warmer shades and 3 non matte shades to play with. My colouring is very similar to yours so it should suit you really well.

36. Amy says
    Posted January 1, 2016

I love it! You are always beautiful and your daily/ neutral makeup looks are a go to for me, however, this is just so bombshell and gorgrous! Love the style of this video as well. Nicely done, Kate!

37. Amber says
    Posted January 1, 2016

Really lovely post, you’ve captured the colours really well with your pictures as well! I’m tempted to get this palette now..

Amber x

38. Posted January 1, 2016

This is such a beautiful look! It looks light enough to wear during the day.

39. Posted January 1, 2016

Such a beautiful loom and happy new year.

40. aliona says
    Posted January 1, 2016

Very nice. Would love it if you could check out my 2016 hair trends tutorials!
    Kisses xo | From Aliona With Love

41. Posted January 1, 2016
  42. Jess says
    Posted January 1, 2016

Gah! Can you just come do my makeup everyday?!?! I think this is my favorite look you’ve created!

43. Kelly says
    Posted January 2, 2016

very pretty. i just bought this pallet and I’m loving it.
    2 questions:

1) in your last make up video you say you like to use L’Oreal Voluminous Superstar Mascara
    with the Cherry Bloom lash fibers, so I purchased both of them. Now in this video (and I know you’ve said it in others) you say you like to use Lights Camera Lashes with the lash fibers. So which is it?

2) I’ve never seen anyone put eye liner on their top lid, with their eyes open. You could get a much smoother line if you would close your eyes and use much longer strokes. Yours do not have a nice crisp line.

• Sarah says
      Posted January 4, 2016

The advice I’ve read recently regarding putting liner on the top lid is to do it with your lid open and looking down. It allows you to see more of the eyelid, with the goal of putting it as close to your lash line as possible. And you can actually get a smooth line by doing lots of little strokes, or long strokes, depending on the type of eyeliner you are using. Regardless, I think Kate’s look is really nice, but she does need to work on the upper lid eyeliner because it’s dragging her eyes down instead of up.

44. Jasmine says
    Posted January 2, 2016

This makeup look is just stunning on you!

Jasmine | The Sixth Disney Princess

45. Rebecca says
    Posted January 2, 2016

What a lovely look! This Make Up looks really great on you 🙂
    lots of love from http://becciqueeen.blogspot.de/

46. Amanda says
    Posted January 3, 2016

Love the look!!

Kate, what lip product are you wearing? I have similar undertones and love the shade!

• Amanda says
      Posted January 3, 2016

Never mind! I saw it in the video ?

47. Katie says
    Posted January 3, 2016

Wow! This eye look is stunning on you, Kate! It really brings out your eyes! I love it and can’t wait to try it. I love the Tartelette pallette too!

48. Amber says
    Posted January 3, 2016

Thank you so much for this video! I have been looking and looking for the best way to understand how to do a smoky eye! I’ve done it twice now and am getting better! Thank you for finally making me see how simple it is!

49. Posted January 4, 2016

Whoa. Gorgeous look! So so pretty. I will have to try it.

50. Posted January 4, 2016

Love this look! It would be great for many occasions and it is light enough that you could wear it during the day and not look crazy. (:

51. Bridget says
    Posted January 18, 2016

I’ve been reading this blog for a while and love it! I had to go to a black tie event this weekend, and I wanted to change up my look. I followed the tutorial to the “T” and even bought some of the products that were used. It turned out amazing, thanks so much for putting up great videos that almost anyone can follow! and the Tartelette palette, even though it is pricier than I have ever spent on eyeshadow, it is worth every penny!

52. Phon Wills says
    Posted January 22, 2016

I love Tarte make-up!!! I also found another line I like a lot as well, it’s called Cailyn (cailyncosmetics.com) It’s pretty awesome! I use the BB Aqua Glide and it’s a BB cream, but it covers so well and I can use it as foundation too. And their Gel Liner is an awesome eye liner pencil! You should totally try it.

53. Sandi says
    Posted January 26, 2016

Best tutorial I’ve seen on applying eyeshadow!! I followed yours, and won’t be going back to my routine!

54. Posted January 27, 2016

Wow, what a subtle smokey eye! I must say it looks great, very fine eyeliner adds a bit of drama and the eye shadows work perfect for your complexion.

55. shelby says
    Posted March 25, 2016

Kate, i love this makeup look on you! it makes your eyes just pop! so beautiful (:

56. Bri Kotter says
    Posted July 6, 2017

Love this look, so beautiful!! What lipstick did you have on with this smokey eye?