A Stacked Twist Tutorial

stc

Do me a huge favor and don’t overthink this casual style unless you want it to look really polished and pretty.

I wanted to show the half up version, and the full, casual up version! You can think of it as day to night, or both night, or both day, or however you’d like to think about it, but really I just love the simplicity of the style!

It will help to have hair that is past your shoulders to do this, but it doesn’t need to be curly! The twists will actually look really cool on straight hair as well!

StackedTwist_thesmallthingsblog-1

StackedTwist_thesmallthingsblog-2

StackedTwist_thesmallthingsblog-1-2

StackedTwist_thesmallthingsblog-4

StackedTwist_thesmallthingsblog-5

StackedTwist_thesmallthingsblog-6

I love seeing your versions of the styles I show! Use #smallthingshair on Instagram if you post a pic!

1. Erin says
    Posted November 30, 2015

Very pretty. You make it look so easy too.

2. Posted November 30, 2015

Oh I love this! I am going to try it tomorrow.

3. Posted November 30, 2015

I love how easy this style is! I will definitely be trying this one out.

4. Laura says
    Posted November 30, 2015

I love this…both versions are perfect, and I love that they’re “imperfect!”

Laura

5. Liz says
    Posted November 30, 2015

This hairstyle is super cute!

xo, Liz

6. Maria says
    Posted November 30, 2015

You were so cute in the video right at the end where you were talking about not overthinking the messy bun. It was adorable?!

whoops! Didn’t mean to leave that in there 🙂

7. Laura says
    Posted November 30, 2015

Love that you left in that little bit where you started over instead of editing it out! Shows us that you’re human and even you have to collect your thoughts! I can’t wait until my hair grows a little longer! Any possibility of doing some styles for shoulder length or shorter hair? Maybe find a willing model?

whoops! Didn’t mean to leave that in there 🙂

8. Joanne says
    Posted November 30, 2015

Just finished watching your periscope as well, thank you for taking the time. They are fun to watch. Since I don’t tweet, yet, I loved the new intro Jordan shot for this video! Also love both versions of this style.

9. Posted November 30, 2015

I love this look! Very beautiful!

10. Posted November 30, 2015

This is such a beautiful hair style! X

11. Heather says
    Posted November 30, 2015

Great hair idea, but I really want to ask about that darling plaid top you have on! Do you remember where you got it?

• Amanda Taft says
      Posted December 3, 2015

Anthropologie! Currently on sale 🙂

12. Brooke says
    Posted November 30, 2015

Your shirt! I want it! Where is it from?
    P.s-Love the hairstyle! Will definitely be trying it tomorrow morning! 🙂

• Amanda Taft says
      Posted December 3, 2015

Anthropologie! Currently on sale!

13. Posted November 30, 2015

Super cute!

14. Kim says
    Posted November 30, 2015

Super cute! Thanks for reminding us about products in the tutorial, I hate having to go back to try to find which products you recommend for different applications.

15. Elainea says
    Posted November 30, 2015

This is great that there’s two very versatile options! I love the all up best I think, but that’s just because I wear my hair up a lot. Thanks for sharing!! x

16. Christy says
    Posted November 30, 2015

Love your hair tutorials, particularly because we have about the same length and hair texture! It’s hard to find how-to on updos for medium length hair. I have been following you on Youtube for a few years, and I honestly have gotten a ton of compliments on hairstyles I have created based on your videos. Thanks for all your help!

17. Posted December 1, 2015

Absolutely stunning. You always post the best looks! 🙂

18. Posted December 1, 2015

I really like this hair style perfect on yo
    I love your blog. I hope you will like mine
    many kisses

19. Arianna says
    Posted December 1, 2015

My hair is always sooo messy: I really needed something easy (more or less!!!!) and classy! Thanks! But you make it look so easyyy!!!!

20. auntsarie says
    Posted December 1, 2015

Oh, I’m so excited to try this! This might be my favorite tutorial so far!

21. Melissa says
    Posted December 1, 2015

I tried the style today. I have received several compliments.

22. Mia says
    Posted December 1, 2015

You are so talented! The hairstyles are always so pretty and doable. You also have gorgeous hair.

23. Amanda Pittman says
    Posted December 1, 2015

I did this style yesterday and loved it. So easy! I’m jealous I don’t live closer to attend any of your curling style classes. I picked up a hot tools marcel curling iron today and didn’t realize they are slightly different then your standard iron with clamp. Have you posted any tutorials on how to use this type of curling iron?

24. Beki says
    Posted December 1, 2015

Totally did this today because I was running late for work and didn’t have time to wash my hair. It turned out super cute! Took a couple of tries to get it right, but I enjoyed actually feeling like I had a style happening not just pulled back day 2 icky hair! Thank you for sharing!

25. Julie Smith says
    Posted December 2, 2015

Just read the last post and I was in the same conundrum today…overslept and needed to get going FAST! I have super straight hair that is super smooth (nice on some days, not-so-helpful on others). This style took a bit of texturizing product for me, a lot of bobby pins, and a little coaxing but got it to work. My hair is a bit longer than Kate’s but it still looked good. Thanks for the fabulous go-to-do for quick fixing styles!

26. Heather says
    Posted December 4, 2015

I did this one this morning but didn’t put it up in the messy bun. I think it looks great! I have thin, terrible hair and this really disguised it. It was a nice confidence boost. 🙂