Rebecca’s Cut + Fine Hair Focus

670A4086

My friend Rebecca was the perfect model for my fine hair focus post! I gave her a little trim, and then created an entirely separate video touching on styling tips for fine or thin hair.

In this video, you’ll see the haircut and I thought I’d answer the main question I get when it comes to talking with your stylist about your needs if you have fine hair at the bottom of the post.

If you don’t have fine hair, I think there are still some things you can learn on how to communicate best with your stylist!

(if the quality is low, click the wheel icon on the bottom right of the video and select the highest quality possible!)
rebecca_thesmallthingsblog-1

The video for how to style + add volume and movement to fine hair is coming soon!

So what should you consider when it comes to your haircut if you have fine hair?

Really try to look at what parts of your hair are fine. In Rebecca’s case, and often in a lot of women’s cases, the bulk of the hair is on the back lower part of the head. The finest part is usually above the ears. One way to help fine hair look thicker is to leave as much length and as little layering as possible around the front of the face. Add lift and movement to the back of the hair because 1. there is more hair to spare and 2. if you are able to punch up the volume in the back a little bit, you can push it/direct it forward as well to help fill in the thinner areas up front!

Ask for a blunt cut around the base length of the hair. That tends to not only feel thicker but also look thicker as well. With layering, I’d almost always recommend a really soft layering technique with texturized ends so it doesn’t look like you have a bunch of different levels in your hair.

rebecca_thesmallthingsblog-4

1. Erin says
    Posted October 5, 2015

This is what I’ve needed for so long! Really, I just need a better stylist. I always end up with those “chunky, differen-level layers, no matter what I ask for! Her hair looks great… Now to find the right person to cut my hair so that it looks good, too!

2. kate says
    Posted October 5, 2015

love it! I really enjoyed seeing you in process.. demystifying the stylist! Rebecca is so beautiful and love how fresh and full her hair looks at the end. Super fun and informative video!!

3. Kim says
    Posted October 5, 2015

What product did you put in her hair?

• Charlotte says
      Posted October 5, 2015

I would like to know what product was used as well. Thank you!

• Ana says

It’s Aquage Uplifting Foam

4. Mary Louise says

Hi Kate,
    This is a great video! So helpful when thinking about what to tell a stylist. I’d love to see a video for other types of hair, specially thick straight/wavy hair. I am half asian, thus my hair is waiver than the typical straight Asian hair, but I have the thickness of Asian hair. I find that stylists often under estimate how think my hair can get, especially after a blow out, and am left with a cut that isn’t texturized enough, or is overly textured such that I have choppy layers. Help!

• Annie says
      Posted October 5, 2015

I second this! I have super thick, but nearly stick straight hair. It’s SO HARD getting a good cut and I’m not savvy AT ALL in what to tell my stylist. I’ve ended up with choppy layers too many times to count.. boo!!

• MARCI says
        Posted October 5, 2015

I agree, love the videos, but what to do for us that have that super thick hair! Mine is crazy thick and super wavy, but not exactly curly. It is too thick to blow dry in the mornings and deal with it. Any easy go to cuts or styles?

• KC S. says
          Posted October 5, 2015

I agree too! I love these videos of you cutting and styling different hair types. I also have really thick, straight, long hair, like when I get an updo done they put half my hair up and don’t know where to put the rest of it. So I would LOVE to see a video of you cutting and styling long thick straight hair!

5. Alyssa says
    Posted October 5, 2015

It looks great! I have a lot of hair but it’s also fine and it can be hard to style. These are great tips!

Alyssa |Glitter and Grey

6. Kim says
    Posted October 5, 2015

I love this! Her hair looks great. I have fine hair but a TON of it!

Kim

http://trendkeeper.me .. Faux!

7. Julie says
    Posted October 5, 2015

Thank you! Thank you! I love this post regarding working with fine hair. I hear it all the time how tricky it is to work with curly hair (I know it is), but….. I’ve always felt that we fine haired individuals have it tricky too finding the right stylist to work with our hair and getting the right cut. I have lots of hair, but it is very fine and straight. Please keep the fine hair ‘cut and styling’ blog posts, videos, tips, tricks and terminology coming! I can always use advice in this area. It helps to know what to communicate with a stylist. Thank you!!

• Lynda Elhard says
      Posted October 8, 2015

This post is just what I needed! I have been trying for over a year to grow out my fine hair from a bad short haircut. It is so hard to find a stylist who knows how to cut fine hair. They always end up texturizing it way too much and I’m left with fly away hair no matter what products I use. I would appreciate your input on controlling that problem or is it the haircut itself. Thanks so much for this video.

8. Kirstie says

Het hair looks amazing!! So natural and pretty 🙂

9. Andrea says
    Posted October 5, 2015

Yay, thank you!!!! This is exactly my hair as well and I really look forward to the styling video. I have a great stylist but have trouble trying to make it look good myself.

10. Hope says
    Posted October 5, 2015

I hope this is a new “series” of posts with how to deal with different types of hair. Very cool concept. FYI I have wavy hair that I have not a sweet clue what to do with….#yikes

11. Lora says
    Posted October 5, 2015

Thank you so much for this post; I’m looking forward to the styling video! It looks like I have a lot of the same hair issues as Rebecca (except mine is a few inches shorter), so this was very helpful!

12. Vivian says
    Posted October 5, 2015

LOVE this video for fine hair, I’m looking forward to seeing one for styling fine hair as well!

13. Posted October 5, 2015

Looks great! I love getting a haircut, it makes me feel like it’s a fresh new start!

14. Kristen says

Thank you! #neededthis That is all

15. Hildy says
    Posted October 5, 2015

THANK YOU for this post! I can’t wait till you share more tricks for adding movement and volume to fine hair. I always struggle with that, especially on 2nd day hair.

16. robin says
    Posted October 5, 2015

Thank you so much for this post. I have the same exact hair issues, fine hair but bulky in the back. I always end up with a weird cut that looks super wispy in the front and way too many layers in the back. I’m due for a cut now, so I’m writing down your exact verbage to show to my hair stylist (and also going to show her the photos so that maybe she will FINALLY understand what I’ve been asking her to do). Fingers crossed that she will know how to cut my hair like this. (I hate ending up with little 3 inch long sections on the back of my head because of all the heavy layering!)

17. Katherine says
    Posted October 5, 2015

I have a lot of fine hair and I’ve found that layering, and especially texturizing, can make me look like I have half as much hair as I really do. I’ve had stylists completely ruin my hair because they got too carried away with layering and texturizing and took off way more hair than they should have. So sometimes a blunt cut can be a better option for fine hair.

18. Gabby says
    Posted October 5, 2015

Hi Kate! Great video! I too have fine hair with some thinning hair around the front. I’ve had three kids which has caused my hair to thin out. I style my hair with a side part and have side swept bangs. I have black hair so my problem is that you can see more of my scalp and I hate that. Do you recommend any products to help hide the scalp? I’ve used Oribe Airbrush Root Touch-Up Spray in black and that helps out a bit. I was just curious if you had any suggestions or tips.

19. Jen says
    Posted October 5, 2015

Great post! I second the request for thick, slightly wavy hair! Thank you.

20. Evelina says
    Posted October 5, 2015

I love the extra volume those curls gave. Looks great!

21. Jenny Ivol says
    Posted October 5, 2015

Hmmmm, I don’t like the AFTER. Looks limper actually.

• Ellie says
      Posted October 5, 2015

I agree, sorry. I think her hair looked thicker before. The curling on the bottom makes her hair look thinner in the after shot. Maybe though it looks thicker without the curling? I still love the blog 🙂

• ammdiv says
        Posted October 6, 2015

Im sorry, i usually never leave highly opinionated comments.. but looking at the pictues of your friend..

I think she looks aweful.. her before picture is better. her hair color is so bad, it looks like she has 5 inch long brown roots. and her new hair cute doesnt look full and bouncy its plastered to her head and looks actually thinner.

Id be upset if my hair dresser did this to me..

Posted October 6, 2015

That is simply so rude. Say whatever you want about me but do not leave such mean comments about my friend.

• Amanda says
      Posted October 6, 2015

Hate to say it but I agree. Her hair looks wispier and no fuller in the After. I think some color at the roots would give her hair more body and a blunt bob would make her hair look thicker.

22. Diana says
    Posted October 5, 2015

Can you address the difference between fine and thin hair? I have thin hair (each strand is not at all coarse) but a ton of it. I’ve always thought that fine was the texture and thick/thin was the quantity. Is that wrong?

Such a cute style!

• Diana says
      Posted October 5, 2015

and I misstated my question I have fine hair but lots of it. Clearly I’m confused.

• Megan says
        Posted October 6, 2015

I think you have it right – fine/coarse refers to texture, and thick/thin refers to quantity of hair. So one could have thin, coarse hair; thick, fine hair; thin, fine hair; or thick, coarse hair. The problem with having lots of fine hair (like you and me) is that cutting and styling it certain ways can make it look thin, limp, and lifeless. Usually a blunt bob of some type seems to look best. I think Rebecca’s hair looked cute after the cut but before the styling. Big, loose curls are hard to pull off for fine-haired gals.

23. Posted October 5, 2015

Kate, your video tutorials are ON POINT lately! I love seeing these cuts and styles on new faces, the photos and videos from Jordan are amazing (not sure if she did this one, but it looks great, too!), and attending one of your classes is my next bucket list item! Keep it up, girl!

24. Rachele says
    Posted October 5, 2015

Rebecca looks like Jennifer Lawrence! I loved the way her hair looked with the cut and straight! I fight with my wave on a regular basis, so I’m jealous of gals like Rebecca that can rock the straight do’s.

25. Erin says
    Posted October 5, 2015

Hi Kate! Totally off the topic of this post, but still hair related…how have you gotten your hair to grow out so fast? My hair is also thin and shoulder length. I’m working to grow it out. Any tips!?!

26. Posted October 5, 2015

I loved this so much Kate!! Thank you so much for addressing the concerns of those of us with fine and thinning hair. This information was SO helpful – and now I feel better “armed with knowledge” when I go to my stylist.

I LOVE love love the idea of you sharing more tips and ideas for us fine haired Gals. Maybe even braided tutorials? I love the ones you’ve done so much, but my braids don’t look thick and chunky like yours…however I love playing with styles like that too.

You’re such a knowledgeable and talented Gal, so thank you for sharing that with us through your blog. You’re a Gem! And your beautiful family is so fun to follow too.

Blessings to you all. xoxo

27. Posted October 6, 2015

Wow, your friend is so pretty!
    I loved this, perfect look for her and hopefully on me when I try out some of your tips!

http://www.cainhelen.blogspot.sg = latest post, embarrassing stories and photos

28. Sissi says
    Posted October 6, 2015

Wow, she looks like she could be your sister! Love how natural it turned out.

29. Deb Cadovius says
    Posted October 6, 2015

I KNOW HER from NCSU!!! I was screaming at the laptop. It’s exciting to see someone you know on a famous blog!!
    She is as gorgeous as ever!!! I’m so glad she got some much-deserved pampering. 🙂

30. amm says
    Posted October 6, 2015

Id be upset if my hair dresser did this to me..

• Ashley says
      Posted October 8, 2015

The only thing that is *awful* is your attitude. Kate executed a great haircut and gave wonderful advice to fine haired ladies! The model was beautiful both before and after the session, so your comments were neither truthful or constructive.

Saying “I’m sorry” before a rude statement doesn’t make it any less rude. Perhaps instead of trolling blogs, your time would be better spent perusing the dictionary and brushing up on basic sentence structure.

31. Kim says
    Posted October 6, 2015

I didn’t see in the video when you dried the front part of her hair (where bangs would be). I have hair just like hers so this is very helpful. I think, in your last periscope, you said to blow dry that part back, away from the face. I have always been told to blowdry that part straight down. It’s my most frustrating part of my hair. What is your suggestions and why? Thanks!

32. Chloe says
    Posted October 6, 2015

Her new cut looks great, I love it! Makes me want to try a new cut myself.

33. Jamie says
    Posted October 6, 2015

I have board straight, won’t hold a curl to save my life, fine, thin hair. I also have a widow’s peak and a natural side part. For some reason, this always throws the hairdresser off. I’ve found if I do long, subtle layers, it tends to help. For me, it doesn’t matter what I do, doesn’t matter how much product I put in my hair, it’s a limp noodle.
    And, I actually like your friend’s haircut! Very happy I stumbled upon this blog!

• Leigh Stulack says
      Posted October 24, 2015

Jamie I have the EXACT same problem. And as I get older, my hair gets worse, especially the part in the back.

34. em says
    Posted October 6, 2015

Thank you for this post – it is always so interesting to me to watch the process – waiting impatiently for you to post the styling video!
    If you are able – can you show a back view of the cut so we can see the layer/texture in greater detail?
    I have the exact hair as your darling friend Rebecca, although my hair is a good 5-6 inches longer.
    I love my hair long these days – I welcome any comments you might share regarding how this cut might translate to a longer length.
    Thanks Again!

35. Alexa says
    Posted October 6, 2015

Love the cut and just wanted to say how stunning your friend is! She could be bald and still gorgeous with a face like that!

36. Kerry says
    Posted October 6, 2015

I loved this post! If you want to do another video about how to curl even shorter hair- I would love that too! 🙂

37. ashley says
    Posted October 6, 2015

it would also be helpful if you maybe showed picture examples if you have really fine hair, but all of it is in the front…how do you combat that? I mean i figure it’s the opposite of what you did, I’m just not sure what that looks like?

38. Kait says
    Posted October 7, 2015

I love this cut! I share the woes of fine hair. I have a lot of it, but it’s super fine, nonetheless! I just got a similar cut and I’ve noticed I’m more inclined to style it now. Keep these videos coming 🙂

39. debbie says
    Posted October 7, 2015

Love this and she looks great! Her hair looks pretty full before. Mine is even finer and it flips at the shoulders. can you talk about the length that is best? mine is longer in front and shorter in back – any thoughts on that cut for fine hair?
    thanks!

40. Elina says
    Posted October 7, 2015

Great video! I would love if you could give some tutorials for fine, short/mid length curly hair. Or maybe you or others here could direct me to some good places where I could find such tutorials. Because majority of tutorials I can find on the web for curlu hair are for thick hair. Feeling hopeful:)

41. Beth says
    Posted October 7, 2015

Wow! Rebecca is such a beautiful woman.
    You did a great job on the haircut too!

42. Erin says
    Posted October 7, 2015

I love the haircut! It looks great! I also have lots and lots of very fine hair, so I’m looking forward to the next video. 🙂

43. Sarah says
    Posted October 8, 2015

This video makes me happy! 🙂 I have a very similar situation to Rebecca. I have fine hair but a lot of it. I also have a weird wavy thing going on with it where some parts are curly and some parts are wavy-er than others, idk. But my issue is that no matter what I do, by the end of the day my hair is both greasy and flat. There is no such thing as day 2 hair for me, unless its in a pony tail. I have tried to do shorter layers, longer layers and no layers at all. I’m so excited to see your styling video! Thank you! 🙂

44. Bonnie says
    Posted October 9, 2015

That is a beautiful haircut! My hair is fine like Rebecca’s. It would be a dream to have you cut mine and bring out it’s full potential. I really enjoy your blog and so happy I found it.

45. Emily says
    Posted October 11, 2015

Her hair literally looks awful. I would be in tears if my hairdresser did this to my hair.

46. Posted October 12, 2015

Find a suitable hairstyle really important, not only be beautiful, but more importantly to bring their own self-confidence.

47. Samantha says
    Posted October 12, 2015

When will we see the styling video? 🙂

Posted October 12, 2015

this week!

• Brittany says
        Posted October 20, 2015

Very excited to see the styling video!!

48. Anna says
    Posted October 15, 2015

Thank you for this post! I have super fine hair too and, even though I’m lucky enough to have a hairdresser who really understands fine hair, it’s great to know exactly what to ask for in case I ever have to change to someone else! So few blogs discuss fine hair so this as a much-appreciated post!

Anna xoxo

49. Jackie says
    Posted November 8, 2015

The right cut can make such a big difference when it comes to fine hair. Your hair has so much more volume and texture after the cut 🙂

50. cherie says
    Posted March 26, 2016

Thanks Kate and Rebecca for such a great tutorial – I’m quite new to the blog and I found this a great demonstration for doing hair from start to finish. Thanks Kate for the work you put into your blog. 🙂

51. Hayley says
    Posted June 9, 2018

Hi Kate,

I have been kind of binge-watching your videos. I’m a cosmetologist in training. I am always looking for new techniques and good products and I’m learning which products to use on different hair types. You stated in your fine hairstyling tips video to avoid leave ins if you have fine hair. I have fine hair and medium-high density. I love the feeling leave ins give to my hair. Maybe I need some weight because it’s fine. I was under the impression you’d want weight in the hair if it’s fine. I’m still learning. Do you have videos on how to style other hair types and which products to use and which to avoid? I’d also like to know what you look for in shears. I know forged steel is best. I know to hold them and test them out before purchasing them. I don’t know many reliable companies though. Do you recommend a good company and a good shear that is affordable? I have another question. What comb are you using? I notice you use the same beige comb in every video. I was thinking that must be a good comb if you use it all the time. Hope you can answer my questions. Thank you.