Polished and Volumized Ponytail

pvpony

The main reason I wanted to share this was to prepare for scarf season! I love wearing scarves in the winter, and recently bought a blanket scarf from Zara, so I need a realistic hairstyle for when I plan on wearing this really thick scarf!

It could so easily be made more polished, and I hope the sectioning trick helps you get a good deal of volume when you recreate this on yourself!

DSC_0134

DSC_0139

DSC_0146

DSC_0160

DSC_0167

As always, use #smallthingshair when you share your photos of any of the tutorials you see here on Instagram!

1. Leslie says
    Posted October 28, 2015

I was just getting ready for the day by pulling my second day hair into a ponytail and complaining to myself that it had no volume. Guess what I’m going to try? πŸ™‚

2. Becki says
    Posted October 28, 2015

Great tutorial. I just bought a few blanket scarves and you are right, they do need a good pony! Thank you..

3. Edith says
    Posted October 28, 2015

What can I use in this style to stop the humidity monstrosity I always get on top of my head? Apart from the hairspray that is.

4. Posted October 28, 2015

Your hair, as always, looks gorgeous!

Her Heartland Soul

5. Melissa G says
    Posted October 28, 2015

Love it. Unfortunately my hair isn’t long enough to look like that, however I might be able to make it work.

Please share with us where you got your shirt and necklaces? I recognize one from your sister!

• Melissa G says
      Posted October 28, 2015

Ok…the shirt looks sort of Gap to me, but couldn’t find it there. It looks so comfy, and I love the color!

• Cheryl says
      Posted October 29, 2015

I’m pretty sure the shirt is Ann Taylor Loft

• Melissa says
        Posted October 29, 2015

Just went in there, and couldn’t find anything like it! Bummed!

6. Joy says
    Posted October 28, 2015

I think you read minds! I have been wondering how to spruce up my ponytail!

P.S. Thanks for letting me interrupt a few minutes of family time at the fair to say hello. I felt like I had met a celebrity ;)~

7. Sarah says
    Posted October 28, 2015

What a great tutorial! My hair is a bit shorter, but I think I’ll be able to make this work. You’ve got the most pleasant voice … very good for teaching!

8. Diana says
    Posted October 28, 2015

Yes, would love to know where the shirt and necklaces are from – and love the tutorial. I always see women with these kinds of ponytails and mine always look terrible. Thanks!

9. Natalie says
    Posted October 28, 2015

This is such a great tutorial, thank you for sharing! I also love the length of your hair, by the way. It looks really goo!

10. Meg says
    Posted October 28, 2015

Ah this tutorial makes me want longer hair again. My hair is way too short for this. You always make it look so easy. Beautiful!

11. Posted October 28, 2015

Great tutorial! I can never get my pony to get too much volume!

12. adrianne says
    Posted October 28, 2015

Since I am wearing a curl today, which will be a wave tomorrow, this will be my Day 3 hair!

I also loved seeing you go through the process. I loved seeing that, just like me, the in between stages are a little funny looking. A little giggle to brighten up my morning!

13. Beth says
    Posted October 28, 2015

I love this! Thanks for the tips. Since following your blog (at least 2 years now) I am much more comfortable trying new styles and I know how to tease my hair correctly now. Someone recently told me they wished they could be bold and try new styles like I do. Score! All thanks to Kate and her awesome hair tutorials!

14. Lindsey says
    Posted October 28, 2015

I love this! I am really enjoying these newer tutorials with your longer hair. Our hair is about the same length now so some of the shorter hair undo vids just don’t work! Thank you πŸ™‚

15. Maggie says
    Posted October 28, 2015

Thanks for the helpful ponytail tutorial. Just something to note for future tutorials (I love that you are getting into them again!) – I think the background music was just a smidge too loud and was distracting while you talked, and photos at the end didnt your hair justice. As a long time reader of your blog, I’ve loved the hair tutorials and I always recommend them to friends!

16. Evelina says
    Posted October 28, 2015

I love the way a full pony looks with a chunky scarf. great video!

17. Posted October 28, 2015

Cute!

18. Posted October 28, 2015

I still use your two tricks from years ago to get a good pony: clip up the crown and then let it go after securing pony and if that’s not high enough, stabbing in a few bobby pins (though that sometimes gives me a headache)

19. Catherine says
    Posted October 29, 2015

Great tutorial! My hair is getting longer, so I definitely have to try this. πŸ™‚ And I also need to try incorporating powder in my daily hair routine. My hair is very soft and the teasing I do never holds for more than 10 minutes, though I love the look of volume.

Thanks, Kate!

20. Nicole says
    Posted October 29, 2015

I love this tutorial! You make it look so easy when you take it step-by-step. Thank you!! My one issue is that anytime I try to wrap my ponytail, the hair eventually falls out of the bobby pin. Do you have any suggestions? I think wrapping your ponytail gives it a nice finished look, which is great for the office, but I just can’t seem to make it work.

• Amanda says
      Posted November 2, 2015

I wrap my ponytail a lot. I tuck the end through my ponytail holder – also I need a larger, stronger one instead of a clear elastic. It holds all day!

21. Laura says
    Posted October 29, 2015

Great tutorial! What color nail polish are you wearing? I love it!

22. sahara says
    Posted October 29, 2015

I really enjoyed watching your hair tutorials please upload more!

23. Katherine says
    Posted October 29, 2015

Oh geez. I’ve been liking the shoulder length bob I recently got…until I saw the pic of your beautiful long thick ponytail. Now I wish my hair was long enough to do that. Wahhhh?

24. April says
    Posted October 29, 2015

I have a long bob and tried this today and had flipped up ends everywhere. I’m not quite sure what to do to fix that. Any suggestions? Thanks and I love your blog!

25. Posted October 29, 2015
  26. Ami says
    Posted October 30, 2015

You look great in that blue shirt! Thanks for the tutorial.

27. Kelly says
    Posted October 30, 2015

I love this tutorial. I avoid wearing my hair up very often because I have such a hard time doing it myself but I will try following your tips! I have a lot of very fine hair and have trouble doing the soft effortless look that is so pretty, but this seems like the tutorial yo follow for that.

28. Laura says
    Posted October 31, 2015

Kate, you are just too darling! You crack me up. I cant wait to use this during the winter.

29. Julie says
    Posted November 1, 2015

You’ve talked before about how you are a loud breather and always sound short of breath.. have you ever been tested for asthma?

Posted November 1, 2015

I’m only short of breath when I’m pregnant πŸ™‚

30. gina says
    Posted November 1, 2015

Great tutorial! What lipstick are you wearing here?

31. Arianna says
    Posted November 3, 2015

Beautiful! This is the Serena VDW pony-tale. absolutely stunning!

32. Donna says
    Posted November 7, 2015

I watched your ponytail video and you make everything look so easy. I did mine in a ponytail last Sunday and although it was better and I even received compliments, I still have a difficult time getting my ponytail to stay lifted up. I love it as I’m putting the elastic band on it, but as soon as I let go, the weight of my hair (which is heavy as I have a lot)

• Donna says
      Posted November 7, 2015

oops, sorry I somehow hit send before I was ready.
      Message continues from above:
      The weight of my hair causes everything to drop down. Not sure if I’m explaining it well enough for you to understand. I place my ponytail toward the middle of the back of my head, and it has a nice lift to it, but as soon as I put the elastic in and let it go, it droops down. I’ve tried bobby pins and even hair combs under the ponytail to push it back up or hold it, but not successful. Any tips on what Im doing wrong would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Kate.

33. Patty says
    Posted September 20, 2018

Some where in your blog a list of products would be Amazing!