Light Summer Glow Makeup Tutorial

lightsummerglow-14 copy

After yesterday’s major makeover by Cara, I thought I’d share a little bit more of a typical daytime look for me these days.

lightsummerglowproducts-1

POND’S Rejuveness Anti-Wrinkle Cream, Tarte Lights, Camera, Lashes Mascara, Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder, Sonia Kashuk brush, Make Up For Ever Full Cover Concealer, Arbonne Perfecting Liquid Foundation, Tata Harper Lip and Cheek Tint, e.l.f. Smudge Pot, Stila Smudge Stick, Anastasia Perfect Brow Pencil, Shu Uemura Lash Curler, Essie Under Where?

I hate the feeling of my makeup melting on my face, so I try to keep it light and fresh in the summertime! The boys and I are outside as much as possible and Raleigh has been hit with a punishing heat wave. My favorite way to “lighten up” my liquid foundation is to mix it with a moisturizer. I grabbed my POND’S Rejuveness Anti-Wrinkle Cream, dabbed a bit on the back of my hand and squeezed one 1/2 pump of my liquid foundation into it, and mixed it together.

lightsummerglow-2

If you are new to this little trick, it may take a few tries to figure out the right ratio of face cream to liquid foundation. For this look I was going for a very sheer finish, so I used almost 3x the face cream than the foundation.

Mix together and apply.

lightsummerglow-3

lightsummerglow-4

For my lids, I swiped on the e.l.f. Essential Smudge Pot in Cruisin Chic all over my lids. I followed up with a line of Stila Smudge Stick eyeliner in Metallic Umber.

lightsummerglow-5

lightsummerglow-6

I went a little heavier on the brows than I usually do with my Anastasia Perfect Brow Pencil (shade: Taupe). Since the lower lid is left completely bare, I thought that would balance out a slightly bolder brow without looking overly done.

lightsummerglow-7

I am loving Tarte’s Lights, Camera, Lashes mascara. It adds volume and definition without falling flat an hour after application. Apply a few coats of your favorite mascara, whatever that may be!

lightsummerglow-8

For lips and cheeks, I just did a touch of Tata Harper’s Lip and Cheek Tint in Very Sweet. It’s the perfect amount of a subtle pink.

lightsummerglow-9

lightsummerglow-10

Hit the high parts of your cheekbones with a highlighter! I used Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder in Luminous Light.

lightsummerglow-11

And that’s it! No finishing powder, no bronzer, just a light summer glow that is sheer and breathable!

lightsummerglow-12

lightsummerglow-13

This post was created as a part of my ongoing ambassador role with POND’S!

1. Christina K. says
    Posted June 23, 2015

Love the look. Light and fresh! With a bit of sun kissed. The link to the eyebrow pencil, links you to a powder compact. Your beautiful as always!

2. Beth says
    Posted June 23, 2015

I really like how you went with a more defined eyebrow. I always heard that the brows frame your face. I think it balances beautifully with the Sheer summer glow.
    Love your blog. Loyal reader! Thanks for all of the tips!

3. Ashley says
    Posted June 23, 2015

So pretty and simple! Where is your cute top from? I’ve been looking for sleeveless stripes!

4. Posted June 23, 2015

Hey Kate – I loved yesterday’s look, but really appreciate you keeping it real. With a little one at home too, a quick 5-minute face is all I have time for these days! xx

5. amanda says
    Posted June 23, 2015

a nice look! i’d take the brows a bit further in (keep going toward your nose). my brows are super light too and it’s a pain to fill them in each day but makes such a huge difference! i really like anastasia’s brow wiz (http://www.sephora.com/brow-wiz-P202633?skuId=1056084) — it goes on more smoothly than a pencil and makes the process a lot faster for me 🙂

• Kara says
      Posted June 23, 2015

I second the recommendation of Anastasia Beverly Hills’ Brow Wiz. That little pencil is a freakin’ life changer. Love it!

6. Posted June 23, 2015

This looks is so pretty and classic! I love how natural you look! Gorgeous!!

7. Bridget says
    Posted June 23, 2015

Wow, this is so nice and easy with great results! Thanks for the tutorial and the product links – off to Sephora!

8. SallyHP says
    Posted June 23, 2015

I love this look-so pretty and fresh. I love tarte’s mascaras as well!

9. Colleen says
    Posted June 23, 2015

Love love love! Thanks for such a quick routine…I was wondering what nail polish you are wearing, so cute and summery!

10. Patti says
    Posted June 23, 2015

Like the makeup…love your hair in this one! I have medium-curly, frizz-prone hair and this summer is killing me. I have just realized that half the frizz is the sticking out ends of broken off hairs. I don’t know what I’m doing that is breaking so much hair! Can you write about breaking hair sometime, and whether those strengthening products do any good? I currently use Nioxin, but something needs to improve or I need to just get a pixie!

11. Molly says
    Posted June 23, 2015

Super fresh & pretty! And I’m seconding the request for the deets on that top. Super cute! And that blue stripe matches your eyes, it looks lovely. 🙂

12. Emily says
    Posted June 23, 2015

Simple. Beautiful. Real. LOVE!!!

13. Kara says
    Posted June 23, 2015

I love a slightly bolder brow on you! Very, very pretty!

14. Bergan says
    Posted June 23, 2015

beautiful! And YES I’ve been loving Tarte’s mascara as well! I’ve tried both purple and gold and love both!

15. Jenny says
    Posted June 23, 2015

I love this trick for the summer time. It’s such an easy solution to beat the heat. I do have a question though- I know the humidity in NC is brutal as well as the heat… HOW do you keep your curls from falling out in humidity? I take one step outside and my hair falls limp! Help!
    xx
    Jenny // Mish Mosh Makeup

16. Laura says
    Posted June 23, 2015

I probably say this every year and just forget by the time the next summer rolls around but Raleigh’s heat is killing me this summer!!

17. Posted June 23, 2015

This is so lovely! We are heat wave status in PHX, AZ also so this is perfect for keeping it light yet put together in the summer with kiddos.

xo

18. Kristina says
    Posted June 23, 2015

Love this look! Always appreciate your tutorials. Quick question, what about sunscreen? I’ve been struggling to find one that’s effective without being so heavy once my make up is on.

19. jodi says
    Posted June 23, 2015

Totally not trying to be negative in any way, but do you photoshop your make-up tutorial pics?

Posted June 23, 2015

Nope, I don’t. Occasially I’ll brighten the photos on overcast days, but these had no adjustments.

• jodi says
        Posted June 24, 2015

sigh. I was hoping you said yes. Then I wouldn’t have to feel so bad for the way my skin doesn’t seem to glow in comparison to yours! What is your go-to under-eye concealer/preventative treatment?

20. Brittney says
    Posted June 23, 2015

This looks so fresh and simple! love it!
    Kate when you don’t put any powder on to set it does your make-up still seem to last and stay in place?
    I have very pale skin and even the lightest shades of powder seem to make my foundation too dark. So it would be awesome to not even use the finishing powder!

21. Kay says
    Posted June 23, 2015

That foundation hack is smart! I like that you mix from high end to brands like e.l.f.! You should do a blog post about what your favorite drugstore makeup products are for us on a tight budget!

22. Evelina says
    Posted June 23, 2015

i have been struggling with finding ways to simplify my makeup during the super hot days but maintaining a nice look. These are great tips!

23. Floriane says
    Posted June 24, 2015

Very pretty, as always! I have more of a question than a comment: I always find that however small the amount of foundation/tinted moisturiser I apply, it ends up transferring for example on a tissue if I blow my nose…so since I became a mother 17 months ago I stopped using anything on my face apart from moisturiser and eye make up since I spend my days kissing and hugging my lovely boy and I don’t want him to be covered in foundation! Do you have any tips or advise on that? Thank you.

24. Leslie says
    Posted June 24, 2015

I bought this ELF smudge pot today. I love the color but my eyelids feel sticky. Have you had this problem?

25. Erin says
    Posted June 25, 2015

how do you do your hair like that? Love those big waves, but have never been able to achieve (or find a stylist who can achieve it)

26. Posted June 28, 2015

woww pretty decent look <3

27. Posted July 7, 2015

Gorgeous! Such a beautiful look for the summer! Xo, Stephanie

28. Posted July 11, 2015

I can’t remember a time when I haven’t mixed face cream with my foundation. There is no foundation in the world that works well with my skin, I feel I have to add the lotion in order for me to even apply it to my face.

29. Misty says
    Posted July 22, 2015

Love the earrings. Do you care to tell me where you got them? Thanks!