Handmade Gifts: DIY jeweled hair elastic

he1

Usually every night before David’s bath time my hair gets thrown in a ponytail using a soft hair elastic like these. Since I’m using them more and more, I thought of a simple DIY for a handmade gift.

And when I say simple, I mean that in the most literal of terms.

he2

You will need an elastic hair tie. You can purchase them from Elisabeth Ashlie, Anthropologie or Loft, but I wouldn’t recommend the ones from J.Crew because they are too tight. Β Or, you can purchase elastic by the yard and tie them yourself! The perk of purchasing the elastic directly is you can choose the exact colors and patterns you would like. I have purchased from this Etsy shop previously and had a great experience.

Tools + supplies:

hair elastic

slider bead that will lay flat, or even a button*!

needle & thread

*these would be pretty on a dark grey or cream elastic

*heck, forget the needle and thread altogether and just slide one of these on for a monogramed hair tie!

he5

Make sure your elastic is the right size before you add the bead. It seems that the average length (untied) for elastic hair ties is about 7 inches. Place your button or bead across from the tied end. It’s natural to want to center it, BUT keep in mind if you do center it the tied end will line up perfectly with the bead when the elastic is wrapped twice around the hair. So, while it may look strange unworn, it may be a good idea to scoot the bead or button over an inch or two so the tied end will sit below the ponytail and allow the beaded end to be on top.

he6

Tie a large knot at the end of your thread. The elastic stretches (duh kate) and a small knot on thin thread will slide right through a hole.

he7

Criss cross your stitches on the underside of the elastic. Make sure the bead or button is tight enough to be in place without being stretched too tight. You want a little give for when you wear the hair elastic.

he8

Make sure you tie another large knot at the base of your thread once the bead or button is attached. It may not even hurt to reinforce it with a bit of superglue!

he9

And then you are finished!

he10

he3

It’s a perfect little stocking stuffer that takes such a small amount of time and effort, and is fun to make! It would even be fun to make your own at a christmas party!

Β Did you catch my last handmade gift?

1. Jennifer Calcott says
    Posted December 9, 2014

So simple but so cute, thanks for the idea!
    Can I ask what kind/color of polish you have on the pictures?

Posted December 9, 2014

The brand is gelish and the color is “always and forever” !

• Jennifer Calcott says

Thank you!

2. Rebecca says
    Posted December 9, 2014

How do you put the tie in the hair? Is it wrapped twice like when you put in a band for a pony tail because yours doesn’t looked wrapped it looks perfect.

Posted December 9, 2014

Just like a normal hair elastic! Mine is wrapped twice πŸ™‚

3. Posted December 9, 2014

Such a cute idea! Great for girlfriends!

4. Amanda R. says
    Posted December 9, 2014

These would be perfect for a girls night! Everyone could bring materials and make all kinds of hair ties! We just had a girls night for making ornaments so this craft might be our next craft! Thanks!!

5. Elizabeth says
    Posted December 9, 2014

This is adorable. I’ve been making my own hair elastics for about 2 years now, but I never thought to add a little charm to them. DEFINITELY buy the elastic by the yard. A few months ago I got 3 yards of elastic in a bunch of colors/patterns at a local (NYC) craft store for about $13 and made 24 hair elastics!!!

6. Krista says
    Posted December 9, 2014

Such a great, inexpensive idea!

7. Jessica says
    Posted December 9, 2014

Adorable! I love how simple and cute this is! Thanks Kate!! Love love your blog and look forward to new posts every week! πŸ™‚ <3 Jess

8. erica says
    Posted December 9, 2014

I love the beads! Where do you buy them?

Posted December 9, 2014

I bought the ones I used from Michaels!

9. Jenny says
    Posted December 9, 2014

I really love this. All my little cousins enjoy making gifts for everyone for Christmas, and this year I’m wanting to return the favor with handmade gifts for them. I think they’d love this!
    xx
    Jenny // Mish Mosh Makeup

10. Rachal says
    Posted December 9, 2014

Love this idea! And I made the lotion bars which will go out to my team tomorrow and it was super fun and super easy! Thanks for the great idea!

11. Shannon says
    Posted December 9, 2014

Too cute!!! Where do you find hair elastic like that?

Posted December 9, 2014

Hi Shannon! I provided a couple links in the post for recommendations on where to find elastics.

• Shannon says
        Posted December 9, 2014

So sorry I missed them!! Thank you!!

12. Catherine says
    Posted December 9, 2014

How simple and perfect for dressing up a ponytail! Thank you for sharing your creative ideas with us, umm, less creative types. πŸ™‚

13. Tara says
    Posted December 9, 2014

This is super cute. I’ve been seeing these loose hair ties around lately, so I’m glad you shared them here. It’s funny, but it gives me that extra little push to try them.

14. Abby says
    Posted December 9, 2014

What a sweet idea. I love this style of hair tie, but this just makes it extra special with the jewels added on! Thanks for sharing, Kate. πŸ™‚

xo Always, Abby

15. Lisa says
    Posted December 9, 2014

I’ve heard that these types of hair elastics don’t leave a crease on your hair. Is that true?
    Either way, I’m definitely gonna be making some of these! Thanks for the great idea, Kate!

Posted December 9, 2014

I think it depends a lot on the hair type and how tight you wear the elastic, but yes they are supposed to crease less than traditional hair elastics

16. Margaret says
    Posted December 9, 2014

I love them. They seem so easy to do and they are so adorable. My nieces would love them and they don’t seem to pull. But Kate I do have a question. While they are in your hair do they stretch out? I know in have worn some that seem to stretch out really easy.

Posted December 9, 2014

The ones I’ve tried don’t! I think it depends on the brand though. I wear a lot of the ones from Elisabeth Ashlie and found that they stay true to size

17. Tyana says
    Posted December 9, 2014

That is the cutest thing ever!!

check out todays blogmas
    xx
    Tyana
    theluxedition.blogspot.com

18. Christina says
    Posted December 9, 2014

I’m making all of my own Christmas cards this year and have been loving it! It might be a year round craft!

19. Stephanie says
    Posted December 9, 2014

What a cute idea! Super simple, and a great way to add interest to a ponytail.

20. Posted December 9, 2014

What a great idea.My daughter is 8 and always wear ponytails and loves making things. This is a great activity for her and I to do.

21. Miriam says
    Posted December 9, 2014

That’s so pretty, great idea! πŸ˜€

22. Posted December 9, 2014

this is so cute and simple. Great way to jazz up a pony tail. thanks for sharing!

xx Angie | http://www.thefashionfuse.com/

23. Posted December 9, 2014

This is such a cute idea!! I’m a full-time college student, so I’m looking for very creative gift ideas that can be inexpensive and still awesome! Thanks for the post!

24. Meagan says
  25. Teri says
    Posted December 10, 2014

Could you hot glue them on? Do you think they would stay on?

Posted December 10, 2014

maybe try it on one you are willing to trash? I don’t think the glue would hold very well but I’m not sure

26. Melissa says
    Posted December 10, 2014

Thanks for the post! Great idea πŸ™‚

27. Posted December 11, 2014

LOVE that you put this out there. I saw so many at Anthropologie for almost $20 AND the source for the slider beads also gives me an option for a cute bracelet – same concept but velvet ribbon and I’ll find clasps to attach.

Just LOVING your blog and about to share the rose gold hair pics you postd – I’d seen that blog several weeks ago and then saw a girl at the mall with that style and complimented her. I felt so in the know!!! πŸ™‚

28. Posted May 5, 2015

I made a trip to Joanne’s Fabrics to pick up some foldover elastic that I can use for hairbands. I ended up with pieces leftover from every color I bought and this tute is perfect to make them into fun gifts.