DIY Painted Bowls

bowl1

My sister was visiting last week and as soon as I stumbled upon this cute DIY on Pinterest, I knew she would be the perfect person to enjoy doing it with me.

We’re both crafty but it’s been a little while since we’ve sat at a table working on something together. It reminded me of when we started Elisabeth Ashlie Jewelry. We had come across necklaces that we both liked at Target and thought, “we could totally make that”, so we went to Michael’s, bought supplies, and created jewelry until about 3:00 in the morning.

Since then she’s taken over the business entirely! She seeks out unique findings and really has an eye for creating simple but pretty jewelry.

I have fond memories of the summer when we started Elisabeth Ashlie, so I was really looking forward so sitting down to craft with her again.

paint

We timed the crafting to begin at the start of David’s nap so as soon as he was asleep we jumped into it!

paint2

paint3

I loved just sitting and chatting with her. There was plenty of laughing which meant our dots were a little uneven, but it was so pleasant to simply work with our hands and catch up. She used to live down the street from me, but thankfully now it’s a quick trip to see on another.

paint4

We were both pleased with out they turned out. They are perfect little bowls for jewelry, bobby pins, paper clips, or any other little thing that needs a place.

bowl2

bowl3

bowls3

If you would like to see the simple steps to recreating this DIY, click here for directions. We found that finishing off the edges with a gold sharpie really made a huge difference in how “complete” the bowls looked.

*Ours were not a glossy finish & were prone to scratching! We thought about finishing them with a clear coat of spray paint, but weren’t sure if that would help at all. Any advice?

1. Posted May 13, 2014

I really like those bowls, now I really want to do somethin crafty! I hope you had a fabulous time with your sister.

2. Divya says
    Posted May 13, 2014

I like your somehow a tad bit more! They seem coordinated in a way and very pretty! You chose such cute colors!

The Conscience Fund

3. Melissa Monachino says
    Posted May 13, 2014

Beautiful bowls! What is the nailpolish you are wearing? Great spring shade.

4. Bethany says
    Posted May 13, 2014

Maybe a coat of polyurethane spray would help seal and waterproof…? Or you could painted with modge podge. Sealing them would just make cleaning the bowls easier if they got dusty or something.

5. Amanda Zagloba says
    Posted May 13, 2014

Gorgeous! The bowls looked like they were shiny before you started painting them which means they already had a top glaze so paint won’t stick to that unless you put a primer over it first to cover it up. You’ll have to put a clear top coat all over the painted area of the bowls to keep the paint from coming off. :o)

6. Lee Wilson says
    Posted May 13, 2014

If you are ever looking for another simple craft – and a way to repurpose something – I painted a lot of my old BirchBox boxes the other day. They already have a chevron lining that is super cute and with a little paint on the outside it made them much more attractive to hold jewelry, pens, hair-ties, etc.!

• Tracee Easton says
      Posted November 13, 2014

What a great idea!!

7. Shelley says
    Posted May 13, 2014

Where did you purchase your bowls?

8. Becka says
    Posted May 13, 2014

Cute craft! You could try a light coat of Mod Podge. You can buy different finishes. That is what I use on coasters I make with white tiles and sharpie paint pens. So far the design has not scratched off.

9. Posted May 13, 2014

These are absolutely gorgeous! Definitely trying this!!

Alex | PinkElephantBlog

10. Jill says
    Posted May 13, 2014

I think they’re adorable! I’m curious as to where you got your bowls?

11. Mary Ellen says
    Posted May 13, 2014

I’m not sure about the acrylic version of those paints but I know the Enamel ones have directions on the bottle for “baking” the finished products to bind the paint when you’re done. I did this with stemless wine glasses and enamel paint (Hobby Lobby), followed the directions exactly and the wine glasses are still perfectly painted after lots of use and many washes in the dishwasher! Just be aware that these are NOT food-safe paints so they need to be on the outside of glassware that you will use for eating/drinking. Hope that helps!

12. Posted May 13, 2014

those are so pretty!! looks like a fun thing to do with girl friends for the evening! great job!

13. Brittany says
    Posted May 13, 2014

Kate, I love your nail polish here! What brand/color is it? It looks similar to the Bobbi Brown Nectar, which, to much dismay, I have been unable to get my hands on, as it appears to be sold out anywhere I look. I’d love to find a close match.

14. Posted May 13, 2014

These bowls are absolutely beautiful, Kate (and Lauren)! I love the color combinations, and of course — the polka dots! 🙂

15. Abby says
    Posted May 13, 2014

This is such a cute idea! I’m definitely going to try this soon. Thanks for sharing, Kate! 🙂

xo Always, Abby

16. Laura says
    Posted May 13, 2014

I have been looking for a cute idea to spruce up my coffee table for the spring and summer months. This is going on my weekend crafting list. So adorable!

-Laura
    The Suzie Lou Blog

17. AmieS says
    Posted May 13, 2014

I recently did a DIY project like this, only my husband and I painted terra cotta pots for our flowers outside. We did spray them down with a clear laquer and it really added something to the look of the finished pot. They are smooth and shiny and I don’t have to worry about the water from the soil seeping through the pot to the outside and ruining the paint job. Not that you have to worry about that with your bowls, just a little extra comment if you ever decide to paint pots!

18. Laura says
    Posted May 13, 2014

Love your designs! I have used Krylon Crystal Clear Acrylic Coating for other craft projects that needed sealing… seems to do the job. I’m sure it would work for this craft! It dries totally clear and glossy. http://www.amazon.com/Krylon-6-Ounce-Crystal-Acrylic-Coating/dp/B001K65K26

19. Peachygoods says
    Posted May 13, 2014

I love to craft things myself. I really love the colors you’ve used.

20. Posted May 13, 2014

Omg those are adorable!! I’ll have to have a go at them myself and I not the most crafy person hehe <3

21. Jennifer H says
    Posted May 13, 2014

The acrylic paints shown in your pictures are not ceramic or enamel paints like specified in the original tutorial! Acrylic paint will wash/scrape right off of non porous surfaces like the bowls and glass. I’d clean the bowls and start over with ceramic paint that cures in the oven!

22. Posted May 13, 2014

Such cute bowls! Martha Stewart makes a craft paint that you can bake in the oven after letting it cure for a couple of days. It isn’t food safe, but it would be perfect for uses it like this. Please be sure to update us if you find another solution for your current bowls!

23. Heather W. says
    Posted May 13, 2014

Those are gorgeous! They look like something you would find at Anthropologie. I am curious if you used a certain type of bowl, or if a regular plain white bowl would work. Super cute!

24. Danielle says
    Posted May 13, 2014

Love the idea of painting bowls! As to the clear coat your mentioned, I used to work for a sign company. We would clear coat everything we painted with a clear spray paint. It should be fine to spray the bowls with a clear spray. :o) Plus, it will protect the bowls from any water that may spray on them, or if you have to clean them. The acrylic may just wash off because they are water based. :o) Hope that helps! ( I just may need to try those myself! )

25. Trisha says
    Posted May 13, 2014

Mod podge, minwax, clear acrylic spray paint or Annie Sloan wax would do the trick. Annie Sloan wax is also food safe and kid safe… So if David started chewing on the edge of the bowl you wouldn’t need to call poison control. Believe me it has crosse my mind a time or two when my toddler puts her mouth over the hairspray nozzle. 😀

26. Sarah M says
    Posted May 13, 2014

These are adorable! What a fun way to catch up with your sis : ) And I like the idea of the gold sharpie…I wouldn’t have even thought of that and it really does finish them off! Great job girls!

27. Tammy says
    Posted May 14, 2014

Such a fun craft ! Thanks for sharing 🙂

28. Posted May 14, 2014

Such a cute idea! Pinning this for later use, thanks for sharing! ♡

29. Christina says
    Posted May 15, 2014

I decided to do a ton of DIY projects this summer and this is definitely one i’m looking to try!

30. Teresa says
    Posted May 17, 2014

Oh my goodness, this is by far the cutest thing I have seen! Absolutely adorable and I can’t wait to try it out!!!

Thanks for sharing 🙂

theteresanicole.com

Teresa

31. Helena says
    Posted May 17, 2014

Hey Kate! I just found your blog by Googling “ispy” and I’m so glad I did! This is such a cute blog post, and I’m definitely going to try it! Your son is super cute, too! Can’t wait to get to know you via the blogosphere! 🙂

32. Jennifer says
    Posted May 27, 2014

Simply stunning! May I ask where you purchased the bowls? (Im sure I missed it in the post)