My Favorite Hair Products of All Time

In my last Favorites Video I chatted about filming an “all time favorites” video of beauty products. So, I sat down and started my list. And about 65 products in I decided to divide this video concept into 3 separate videos. First, we’re starting with hair products. Second, I’ll cover all-time favorite makeup products, and lastly I’ll cover my favorite skin care products.

The products mentioned in today’s video are my all-time favorite hair products (from shampoos to curling irons). With nearly 10 years in the industry, these are the products I’ve been gravitating to and enjoying for many years.

I included links to all the products below. For any product that is not directed to store where you can purchase, google the name of it and you’ll be able to find somewhere near you (or amazon) where you can purchase.

Products Mentioned:

Shampoos and Conditioners:

Deep Conditioners:

Styling Products:

Tools:

Goody clear elastics (or Scunci polybands) <–not Conair brand, my mistake!

Having trouble locating Aquage products? Click here.
As always, check my FAQ page for other questions you may have.

* I completely forgot to talk about my favorite product for curly hair. More often than not, my curly hair clients would ask me to straighten their hair at an appointment, so I didn’t get many opportunities to play around with curling products. I like using Redken Rewind and have also had clients who like Fekkai Perfectly Lucious Curls Curl Shaper Cream

Watch Part 2, All time Favorite Makeup Products, here!

Watch Part 3, All Time Favorite Skin Care Products, here

1. Posted November 11, 2013

Thank you for your expertise on hair products! If you haven’t found a blow dry (heat protectant) spray yet, I think you would enjoy Kenra Platinum Blow Dry Spray. Thanks again!

2. Posted November 11, 2013

Your husband is a Duke fan?????? I just read that on your sister’s blog and was devistated. Born in Greensboro, raised a Tar Heel, I guess I’ll have to stop reading… at least through basketball season. But of course, I married a Duke fan (which makes for interesting winters). I guess they’re not all bad. But still…… GO HEELS!!! And thanks for all the incredible hair advice. My hair has never looked better πŸ™‚

3. Posted November 11, 2013

I’m fairly certain with all the products I’ve bought that you’ve recommended you could come to my house and effectively style my hair! Definitely ready to round out my product collection with some of these too.

4. Posted November 11, 2013

Any chance you would do an “All-time favorite nail care products” video as well? πŸ™‚

5. Posted November 11, 2013

What purple shampoo/conditions would you recommend? Are they supposed to lather? How often are you supposed to use them? Thanks so much for your help and awesome videos kate!
    Kelly

6. Posted November 11, 2013

What can you tell me about the smell of Purology shampoo and conditioner? I’m a scent girl and I canNOT deal with smelling un-yummy hair all day.

7. Posted November 11, 2013

Hi can you help me? I suffer with very bad split ends, what can I use to minimise it or get rid of it completely? I had a trim recently and my split ends are back within a week or twos time. πŸ™

8. Posted November 11, 2013

Hi Kate!
    I have a question for you. I’ve been following you for a while and from what I can tell, you curl your hair pretty much daily. How do you keep from getting fried ends from heat styling? I have very long, very thick hair that has lots of natural curl/wave, but it’s not the pretty kind of you know what I mean. I much prefer to curl my ends with a flat iron to give them some shape. The problem is, I’ve absolutely FRIED the ends of my hair. What can I do (short of chopping 2-3 inches off!) to repair the damage and also, what can I do to keep it from happening?

9. Posted November 11, 2013

I would absolutely love to try some of this product…however I can’t get myself to spend the money!

10. Posted November 11, 2013

I was happy to see the Conair–>Scunci revision, as I haplessly purchased some conair bands recently. I braid my hair to sleep in, and those little suckers snap 50% of the time, snapping my neck or my poor gentleman’s face. I will resolutely use them up because I am stubborn, but they are really pretty worthless! And kind of terrifying in the middle of the night…

11. Ashley says
    Posted November 11, 2013

Pureology is one of my favorite shampoo’s, it’s so moisturizing which is what I love!!

xo,
    Sincerely Miss Ash

12. Posted November 11, 2013

Great list! I will definitely be checking out some of these as I run out of current products πŸ™‚

13. Lynn says
    Posted November 11, 2013

No apostrophe s! No apostrophe s! No apostrophe s! I love you but you’re killing meeeeeeeeeeee!!!!! (Shampoos = yay! Shampoo’s = nooooooo!)

Posted November 12, 2013

Thanks for pointing that out. I wrote this post hastily and clearly didn’t edit.

14. Posted November 12, 2013

Any chance you know/remember the name/brand of the GORGEOUS blue paint color on the wall behind you?

15. Kim says
    Posted November 12, 2013

So I just read about “Blow Dryer Curls” on pinterest. Is this method bad for hair? Or do you know if it works?

16. MH says
    Posted November 12, 2013

Could you address what products you think are best for curly hair? thanks!

17. Posted November 12, 2013

LOVE Redken Color Extend!!

18. Posted November 12, 2013

This comment has been removed by the author.

19. Posted November 12, 2013

Some pretty sweet picks in there!!!

mamaplusmini.blogspot.com

20. Posted November 12, 2013

Hi Kate. I just want to say that I love your blog and mostly your hair tutorials. Some of the products you mentioned are not available in my country – for example the Kenra Volume 25 Hairspray and Aquage Uplifting Foam. Can you point some similar good products from Redken? Also, for shampoo and conditioner which line is better Redken Color Extend or Redken Color Extend Magnetics? Thank you.

21. JAK says
    Posted November 12, 2013

Many of the high end products have a lot of chemicals do you recommend any organic products?

22. JAK says
    Posted November 12, 2013

23. Valarie says
    Posted November 12, 2013

Aquage products are some of my all time favorites too!

-Val

acollaborativeeffort.com

24. Posted November 13, 2013

Many of my favorites are the same as yours!! I love All Soft & Pureology’s Hydrate line (although I think their Pure Volume line is more hydrating).

You should try out Unite 7 Second Leave In Spray. It trumps It’s a 10 Leave In Treatment. You should definitely try it out. You should also give Kevin Murphy Body Builder a try for volume. Nothing works better. Thanks for sharing!!

xx Lauren // Dirty Blonde Ambition

25. Posted November 13, 2013

This comment has been removed by the author.

26. Posted November 13, 2013

So awesome!! Thank you for sharing!!

27. Posted November 13, 2013

Thank you for sharing your favorites! I love your blog! I struggle with my hair as I have curly (not thr pretty kind) hair and I love to try new products that make my life easier. I was wondering if you could help me with a question. I always wanted the ghd flat iron you mentioned. I was talking with a friend and she said her aunt could get it for me as she is a hairdresser. My friend has the ghd professional and I had tried hers and loved it! She told her aunt I would like to purchase one and she sent a ghd blue peacock (brand new in box). I used it but it just didn’t seem the same but kept thinking it must be just in my mind. Well recently I asked my friend if I could try hers to compare it to mine and it is worlds apart different!! I had her try mine and she definitely agreed. Now her aunt is in the hospital and not doing well. Can you give me some advice on what if any options I might have? I waited so long to get this flat iron only to be extremely disappointed in it πŸ™ sorry for such a long post and thanks for your help.

28. Posted November 14, 2013

I was wondering what your thoughts were on the Aveda hair products, if you ever used them. It’s all I use, and I was wondering how they would compare with what you review. Thanks!

Posted December 1, 2013

I’m not a fan of Aveda. I haven’t found a product that really delivers what it promises!

• Posted February 26, 2014

This comment has been removed by the author.

29. Posted November 14, 2013

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

30. Posted November 14, 2013

I need Thick hair shampoo because my hair is long and thick so what shampoo can I use?

31. Posted November 17, 2013

What do you recommend pairing with the Redken Body Full shampoo (which I love!) for a conditioner?

32. Posted November 20, 2013

Hi Kate,
    Can Redkens “All Soft” be used on color treated hair?
    Thanks!

33. Posted November 20, 2013

Unfortunately my total favorite hair dryer died (Remington TStudio). I couldn’t find a quick replacement. I idiotically tried a Toni dryer…horrible. Immediately I got online and ordered the Rusk Speed Freak….i LUV it!!!!!

34. Posted November 21, 2013

Great Blog!! That was amazing. Your thought processing is wonderful. The way you tell the thing is awesome.

herbalhills

35. trisha says
    Posted November 23, 2013

Not sure if your curly hair clients ever told you… But Devacurl shampoo, conditioner and gel is simply amazing for wavy to super curly hair! I❤️It:)

36. Maria says
    Posted December 25, 2013

Thank you so much for all the great tips! I’ve started using a curling iron (thanks to your inspiration), but my silky hair is pretty impossible to curl! Do you have any product tips to enhance the curl or otherwise make my hair “coarser” so it’s easier to curl? Thank you!

37. JadeM says
    Posted January 7, 2014

I hope motherhood is treating you well! What dry shampoo would you recommend?

38. Posted January 24, 2014

diode laser hair removal specialists are using FDA-approved technology available for laser hair removal and for permanent reduction of most unwanted hair for all skin tones.

39. Posted January 30, 2014

Kate, thank you SOOOOO much for this video! I just came across it last week and I ordered the Aquage uplifting foam and Kenra Volume Spray 25 to try them out. They just came today and I swear my hair has NEVER had so much volume! Thank you, thank you! I’ve been searching for a volumizing hair product for years and nothing has ever seemed to work for my fine, silky smooth hair. You are the best! Thanks for sharing your talent.

40. Posted February 3, 2014

I’ve watched this video about 10 times! πŸ™‚ I’m trying to repair my hair. Never did a lot of damage to it but trying to stregthen it. My hair is very prone to breakage. I can barely wear my hair up because of all the gross breaking flying around. Any recommendations on shampoo, conditioner and products. I am trying most things I can think of. Changed my diet, not using any heat, cut back on washings and using deep conditioner. The texture of my hair is good it is just always breaking! Help!

41. cheryl says
    Posted February 4, 2014

L’Anza Volumizing Shampoo & Conditioner are wonderful for us fine-haired gals. Their stimulating products stopped my hair loss. My hair has grown and is in the best condition ever due to L’Anza products. The hair masque is wonderful as well.

42. Posted February 25, 2014

You give great advice…thanks for the video.
    Donna
    Website Owner

43. Georgie says
    Posted February 26, 2014

Hi Kate,

Thanks for the info! I am looking to replace my hairspray with something of higher quality, but Kenra isn’t available in Australia. Is there a second choice that you recommend which provides strong hold (but isn’t gunky)?

Thanks!

Georgie

• kez cap says
      Posted March 6, 2014

Hi Georgie.. same with me… I’ve tried many!!!

44. kez cap says
    Posted March 6, 2014

Hi Kate.. I’d love to know the same as above… We cant get Kenra or Aquage in Australia…

45. Posted March 26, 2014

I had a problem with hair falling out so I seeked help and found this.. As I’ve been using it for nearly 6 months now I noticed that I don’t get any split or fried ends so easily anymore.. I curl my ends with a flat iron every morning so it’s and now I don’t feel so quilty about oit anymore. Thats the link to my treatment regime http://www.laserminox.com

46. Posted April 3, 2014

I just can’t stand gel, had a bad encounter once and i remained off, until I discovered Natural Main Simulator’s Secure and perspective picture.Thanks for the info! I am looking to substitute my hairspray with something of excellent top quality.Hair Gel

47. Posted April 8, 2014

This comment has been removed by the author.

48. Posted April 8, 2014

This comment has been removed by the author.

49. Posted April 8, 2014

Nice article and thanks for sharing your knowledge. I really appropriate your views If you find the best latest fashion or curly hair products and natural hair care so just look and update yourself.

50. Posted April 21, 2014

Hey, thanks for sharing these hair care products Kate. I was wondering if you have tried any of the Emsibeth’s products? My friend said they make some really great hair care products and are worth trying. Let me know your thoughts about them.

51. Barbara says
    Posted May 17, 2014

Thank you so very much, Kate, for recommending the Pureology hair products. They have worked wonders on my hair, especially after spending the winter swimming in Florida. My hair hasn’t looked this healthy in years. Thanks, again!!!!!!!

52. Roger says
    Posted May 20, 2014

Great blog: “My Favorite Hair Products of All Time.”
    Visit my blog at: http://bestsmellingshampoos.blogspot.com/

53. Posted May 25, 2014

So awesome of your blog, this is first time I being here but I have read so much pages on your site. I confused how to handle with my perishing hair for loooooong time, now I think you are good guide and teacher for lot of people like me. thanks

54. Posted May 29, 2014

I will definitely try these products and will remember the lists of these items while purchasing. Thanks for sharing the blog keep on posting new things.

55. Jenny says
    Posted June 3, 2014

Hi Kate,
    Can you help? I love styling products and I’m looking for a new one. I like using a root lifter plus another styling product, I use a round brush to style and have medium texture hair. I get a lot of breakage so I’m looking for a healthy product but I want smoothness, volume, and texture. What do you recommend? Thanks

56. amanda says
    Posted June 20, 2014

Thank you for the Rusk dyer recommend! I bought this and love it! I was discussing my hair dyer needs with a girlfriend, and as a surprise she purchased the T3 Featherweight dryer for me. After trying it out I was quick to conclude that expensive dryer does not always = better! The T3 cost twice as much as the Rusk, and has less than 1/2 the blowing power! I have thick course hair…so I appreciate the Rusk’s fast air flow, and heat settings. I do wish it was lighter like the T3, but I can deal with that when I am able to dry my hair in half the time!

57. Angie says
    Posted June 22, 2014

Hi Kate, Thanks for this post! It’s exactly what I was looking for. I have a quick question if you have time to answer- which do you recommend between the Kenra and the Aquage hair sprays on your list? I just ran out of mine and would like to get one of those two. Thank you!!

58. Pamela says
    Posted July 17, 2014

My hair is unlike any other hair. I discovered Coppola products for straightening, shampoo and conditioner and for years my hair behaved. Well obviously he sold the company and the products now are terrible. Does any one know an alternative to the old Coppola products. Please help.

59. Kayla says
    Posted July 18, 2014

Hi Kate! I was wondering where you get the aquage uplifting foam? I’ve look all over and can’t find it. I’ve tried a bunch of uplifting foam and nothing really works and I want to try this. Or do you have any ideas. I’m looking for more volume and bounce.

60. Stephanie says
    Posted July 19, 2014

Hi Kate! I loved this post (and all your other ones)! I’m looking into getting a new flat iron and the GHD professional/classic you mentioned sounds amazing, but it is more expensive than I can handle at the moment. Do you have a suggestion for another good flat iron that is a little on the cheaper side?

61. Posted August 30, 2014

Why visitors still use to read news papers when in this technological globe all is existing on web?

62. Mireya says
    Posted September 20, 2014

Fantastic beat ! I wish to apprentice whilst you amend your
    web site, how could i subscribe for a blog website? The account aided me
    a acceptable deal. I have been a little bit familiiar of thius your broadcast offered vivid transparent idea

63. Lisa says
    Posted September 22, 2014

Hi Kate! I’m curious about the order of the products. I just purchased KMS Freeshape and It’s a 10, but I’m not sure which one to put on first if I use both.

I so enjoy your blog. Thanks!

64. Ashley says
    Posted September 29, 2014

Hi Kate. I’ve recently cut my naturally curly hair into a medium length bob. I know I need to update my products but can’t find a lot of them locally. How do you feel about ordering products from Amazon? Do you think they’re authentic? Thanks so much. Love your blog!

Ashley

65. Samantha says
    Posted September 30, 2014

Hi Kate!
    I recently went out and bought it’s a 10 and absolutely love it! I also looked for both of the recommended curly hair products and I can’t find either of them. I have wavy hair and I am looking for something that won’t weigh it down or make my hair stringy. Do you have any recommendations?

66. Posted October 10, 2014

Hi kate!

i have a lot curly hair and want to make them straight , smooth and healthy what will you prefer for such hair? which shampoo is best suitable?

67. Gabbrielle says
    Posted October 11, 2014

Hi Kate! I’ve been wondering… do you have any specific brand of cutting shears or razors that’s been your favorite??

68. Posted October 22, 2014

I don’t even kno how I ended up here, but I thought this post
    was great. I do not know who you are but definitely you are goinjg to a famous blogger if
    you aren’t already πŸ˜‰ Cheers!

69. Maria Crain says
    Posted October 28, 2014

Kate, I am using the free spray KMS brand—it seems like its causing breakage to my hair..is that possible? Thanks!

70. stan says
    Posted November 6, 2014

love your blog. http://techheadshhi.com/

71. Posted November 13, 2014

Thanks for posting this. It’s so helpful for me.kinky straight virgin hair

72. Becky says
    Posted November 20, 2014

Great product thank you

73. Leslie says
    Posted February 12, 2015

Hi Kate – you mentioned in your video that you would post a link to a tutorial on how to use the Schwartzkopf Osis Dust It product but I can’t seem to find it. Can you tell me where I can find the link? Thanks!

74. Angela Tj says
    Posted March 23, 2015

Kate,
    I bought a Rusk speed freak dryer and mine is really hot. I have turned it down to med heat and have even used it on cool. I am really worried it is going to burn my hair. Do you think I bought a lemon? Are these dryers really that hot? Any tips or advice? I am using Arbonne Hair Serum to help protect my hair, but again, I am concerned with the heat this dryer puts out.

75. Posted March 27, 2015

Great Listing. I also use some of the products of you list. Specially the redken one.

76. Erin says
    Posted April 25, 2015

Thank you soooooo incredibly much for this AMAZING video and all the hard work you always put into helping others!!! I just started watching your videos and I’m totally hooked!
    My sister has a wedding in a few months so I’m deffinately going to get those Dianne Bobbie pins and that Kenra hairspray you were talking about as well as start studying up on your hair tutorials.
    I just think you are so BEAUTIFUL and so freaking AWESOME!!!
    Thanx again πŸ™‚

77. Sharice says
    Posted April 27, 2015

I am wondering about the kms spray. Does it help to prevent heat damage from blow drying? If not, is there a product that you suggest for that? I’ve used redken satinwear 02 in the past.

78. Mercedes says
    Posted June 18, 2015

What about Karmin?!

79. Meghan says
    Posted June 27, 2015

Kate,
    I cannot make my mind up on whether or not to purchase the Tyme Straightener/Curling Iron combo… It’s quite pricey at $190. However, I am 100% used to straightening my hair but curling with a straightener on the other hand is almost foreign to me… I have thick but fine hair that doesn’t usually hold curl with a typical curling iron. I would love to have the beachy wave look as an alternative to stick straight.

Have you had an opportunity to use this product? What are your thoughts on the product? Your input would be greatly appreciated!!! Thank you!

80. Christine says
    Posted July 24, 2015

Hi!! What kind of Denman brush is the best for styling? I am a hair brush snob πŸ™‚

81. Jesse says
    Posted August 12, 2015

I’m glad you stuck in curly products at the end! Fekkai’s cream is totally heaven, though I stopped using it a while ago. I might have to pick another one up soon!

82. Joanne says
    Posted December 4, 2015

Your link for the hot tools curling iron is broken!

83. Melanie says
    Posted April 15, 2016

The hair system by karmin is my favorite, makes my hair look so healthy.

84. Brie says
    Posted May 12, 2016

First of all I love your blog. πŸ™‚

I noticed since this post you have used different curling irons/wands for you doing your hair. I wonder if hot tools is still your favorite for curls/waves for you have a new preference? I have a hot tools (1 and 1/4 iron) and I actually don’t like it. I miss my old conair from Walmart…but know it’s not the best tool. I want to get something better for my hair that I end up loving. Any suggestions would be great! My hair is a fine texture…but there is alot of it! πŸ™‚ Thanks again!

85. Carol Reyes says
    Posted August 16, 2016

The best I’ve used are the products from Pro Naturals πŸ˜‰

86. Posted September 10, 2016

These products are just awesome!!

87. Elizabeth says
    Posted November 26, 2016

Looking for a recommendation on a silk pillowcase? Everyone says they recommend getting one that it helps with hair care and skin, but have no idea what kind to get. I see prices ranging all over!! Any recommendations would be GREATLY appreciated.

88. Posted December 15, 2016

If you asked my favorite hair products are from always expressbeautyonline. They have best quality hair products. If you want to know more you can visit here at- http://expressbeautyonline.com/

89. Karen says
    Posted February 2, 2017

You said that you recommend Pureology Hydrate shampoo/conditoner. What are you thoughts on Pureology’s Pure Volume shampoo/conditoner? I have fine hair. Thank you!

90. Posted March 6, 2017

Thanks for introducing such nice product. Have you guys tried Alterna hair care products ?

91. Posted May 23, 2017

I blog frequently and I genuinely thank you for your content.
    Your article has truly peaked my interest. I’m going to bookmark your blog and keep checking
    for new details about once a week. I subscribed to your RSS feed as
    well.

92. Posted August 17, 2017

Thank you for some other informative site. Where else could I
    get that kind of info written in such an ideal way? I have
    a challenge that I’m just now working on, and I have
    been at the glance out for such info.