The Mid Knot Tutorial

I had a lot of names for this hairstyle.

“It’s not a top knot”
“Top knot it’s not”

And then I was like, “No one is going to confuse this for a top knot. . . it’s not on the top of my head.”

So I settled on “mid knot”. Hope you like it.

Anyway, I really don’t have that many issues with top knots, I’m just not a fan of them (on my person). So this is as high as my “knot” gets. I’ve enjoyed making more buns and knots now that my hair is longer.

It may seem like there are a lot of details with this hairstyle, and I think they all contribute to the final look. Sure, anyone can throw their hair up into a bun, but if you want a loose, “lived in”, mid knot, I’d definitely recommend following all the steps. Especially the loosening around the nape. That’s a game changer.

If you prefer a messier look, as opposed to a ballerina bun, follow my tips from The Messiest Of Buns tutorial

top: Gap Maternity ( no longer available online )

1. Abby says
    Posted September 9, 2013

This is such a beautiful, chic hairstyle. I’m definitely trying this today! Thanks for sharing Kate… you are truly the queen of hair! šŸ™‚

xo, Abby @ Always, Abby

2. Posted September 9, 2013

Love this look! It would be perfect to where for the office!

3. Posted September 9, 2013

So chic! Love the ease of this style.

4. Renate says
    Posted September 9, 2013

Pretty šŸ™‚ Your hair always looks so glamorous!

5. Ashley says
    Posted September 9, 2013

So pretty! Loved this video and your hair is always so pretty!

xo,
    Sincerely Miss Ash

6. Posted September 9, 2013

need to try this!!!

bLUEoRCHIDcLOTHES

7. Posted September 9, 2013

I can never pull off the top bun, but I’ll give this one a try

8. Posted September 9, 2013

Looks so cute, I love it!
    xoxo
    Suzanne from written by suzanne

9. Melanie says
    Posted September 9, 2013

What a great tutorial! This would be perfect for me at work šŸ™‚

I Pink i Love You

10. Leann says
    Posted September 9, 2013

Love it, but major echo feedback, need to get some decorations/towels hanging up in that new studio(bathroom) šŸ™‚

Posted September 9, 2013

Yep, I know. Just moved in and still getting settled!

11. Posted September 9, 2013

Yay! I wear a know all the time – and this one should give me good volume. Thanks!

Ginny
    Recently Posted: Stella and Dot Fall 2013 Sneak Peek

12. Posted September 9, 2013

Very cute!

13. Melissa says
    Posted September 9, 2013

Very pretty! I used to do something similar back in high school with those little butterfly claw clips, more up on my crown to create like a high formal style. I’d like to get my hair long enough to do a style like this tutorial over the winter. Now that I found a conditioner that is moisturizing enough it might happen before my hair begins to drive me insane! LOL

14. Posted September 9, 2013

Perfect for the playground and going out on the town with hubby! Love it.

15. Posted September 9, 2013

Thank you for acknowledging us stick-straight hair girls. I’m in a growing-out phase and not using heat at all (urrrrrrrgghh) to help with reducing trims while it grows. You always mention whether or not the hairstyle will work with super straight, totally untextured hair before starting the tutorial and it saves me all kinds of frustration.

Granted, I should know, having lived with my hair for so long, that bunning it uncurled is like bunning a waterfall, but still, my hopes, they get up šŸ™‚

16. Katie says
    Posted September 9, 2013

This looks great – perfect hairstyle for work!

katespitz.blogspot.com

17. Posted September 9, 2013
  18. Posted September 9, 2013

Love it! You could call it a Midknot Night’s Dream…

19. Posted September 9, 2013

super cute!! also love your lipstick! what are you wearing??

20. Posted September 9, 2013

So pretty! It would be perfect for my job! Im wondering if my hair would be long enough to do it (shoulder length) – looks like I might just have to give it a try and see!

[email protected]

21. Posted September 9, 2013

very pretty!!

22. Posted September 9, 2013

What brand of hair elastics do you use? They look… Super… Stretchy?.. I guess lol. I like the clear ones, but the only ones I can find are goody and they’re super small and tight. I feel like if I try to stretch it out its gonna snap!

23. Posted September 10, 2013

I’ve been wearing a low bun lately too, I really like how full your hair still looks pulled back:)

24. Posted September 10, 2013

This comment has been removed by the author.

25. Posted September 10, 2013

What a beautiful style! Do you have any tips for this with longer hair? Mine is almost to my elbow and when I pull it half through the elastic, there’s too much to pin. šŸ™‚ Thanks!

26. Posted September 10, 2013

So pretty ! Tried this the moment i watched the tutorial and it’s amazing šŸ™‚ !

27. Anna R says
    Posted September 10, 2013

Beautiful! will give this a try! Thanks:)

28. Posted September 10, 2013

Love this look! Will gill give this a try Thanks. x

29. Posted September 12, 2013

so pretty… as always! I can’t wait to try out my mid knot bun and wear it to school šŸ™‚

30. Rachael says
    Posted September 13, 2013

I did this hairstyle today for casual Friday at my job. It worked like a charm and I have received so many compliments already this morning!

31. Posted September 28, 2013

This is so cute! I am trying it out tomorrow šŸ™‚ x

32. Posted October 23, 2013

I second Brenna McConaughey’s post. Do you have any tips for really long/thick hair? Every time I try to do this or a similar style my hair weighs it down and it ends up looking like a looped ponytail and is almost impossible to pin. Is there another technique we should be using? Your blog makes my life so much easier! Thanks!!!!

33. Posted October 25, 2013

I’m a log haired girl too! I tried pulling my hair through but it’s too much. Do you have any suggestions? I love the look!

34. Posted November 7, 2013

I LOVE YOUR TUTORIALS!!! No one ever does tutorials for mid-length hair–so thank you!!! You’re beautiful and your speak so well and clear in your videos, which is so rare these days! THANK YOU!!!

35. Posted November 10, 2013

I love watching your tutorials. I’m one of those girls who has thick hair and no idea what to do with it other than scrunch it, wear it in a ponytail/bun (before I chopped off 6 inches), or straighten it (which can be a major pain with my hair). I’m not very creative and when I feel like doing a new hairdo, I get exasperated if I’m trying too hard and it turns out awful. I learned how to curl hair because of you. Not that I do that too often because it takes awhile haha. I just wanted to know you’re awesome! šŸ™‚

36. Posted January 17, 2014

I love this look! I have very long stick straight hair, if I curl it, it helps work it into a bun but sometimes I feel like I have too much hair to do this type of style. Do you have any recommendations?

37. cjf says
    Posted February 4, 2014

I tried this style for the first time this morning on my way to work. I only had about 15 minutes and had my doubts how well the technique would work on my hair when I was watching the video….but I loved the finished product pictures so much and I really wanted to try something new, so I ran with it. Go figure, it worked! I should know better than to ever doubt again – Kate is the best! Thank you, Kate for all your advice and great tutorials. I love the blog, and this style is super easy & so pretty!

38. Posted February 18, 2014

very nice šŸ˜€ for more hair care tips and tutorials visit

39. Posted March 8, 2014

This comment has been removed by the author.

40. Posted March 8, 2014
  41. Posted March 15, 2014

This comment has been removed by the author.

42. Posted March 15, 2014

Hi there! This is Kyle from http://www.getgoodhead.com – just wanted to say that my readers were telling me about your site and tutorials! Love your stuff! Keep it up!

43. Posted March 26, 2014

Nice, it is very simple and easily make hairstyle. I like your yoytube.
    Organic Hair Products

• Posted August 27, 2015

We do supportyour vides in youtube and publish in our blogposts. Well done!

44. Posted March 30, 2014

Love your tutorials. I’ve been trying to unsuccessfully master this for weeks. Would LOVE to see some tutorials for super thick hair! Will keep trying in the meantime!

45. Alison Williams says
    Posted June 23, 2014

Love it but cannot duplicate it no matter how hard I try. šŸ™

46. Izabela says
    Posted August 8, 2014

Just tried this up do and it worked so proud of myself. Your vvideos are great keep them coming .x

47. Jennifer says
    Posted December 9, 2014

LOVE your videos! My daughter has curly/wavy hair so I don’t have to do much to it except put it up, and your videos give me a lot of options. She is the most stylish 1st grader! Thank you!!

48. Jack says
    Posted December 26, 2014

Great style! Was searching around for a style I could tell my girlfriend to try. Will refer her here. I like it and hope she does šŸ™‚

49. Mel says
    Posted April 16, 2016

I love your blog!! It is one of the only places I can find really good tutorials for my hair length and texture!