Messy Bun with a Braided Wrap

Do NOT be intimidated by this hairstyle. It may look a little challenging but I assure you it is a simple 3 step process. You can start with absolutely any texture of hair, straight, curly, curled, wavy, etc. I actually think it would look fantastic with tight ringlet curls.

When you are braiding, try to hold the braid a little looser than usual. If you braid it too tight, the look may be more severe than you want. And like I mention in the video, make sure you aim the braid backwards so it lies flat against your head.

*If you need help with a messy bun, see this tutorial

Comments

Gorgeous! I am terrible at following hair tutorials, it never looks the same! But gotta try something. My hair has grown out a little long and I have a week until my haircut! Haha

This is a great look. Can’t wait to try it! I have a silly question about your highlights. Do you do a full head or a half head? It looks like you do a half, but I wasn’t sure if you alternated or anything like that. I couldn’t find this answer anywhere else on the blog. Thanks!

Love! Just did this style — looks great, and really is very easy! Your tip about how to angle the braid is perfect. I love all of your tutorials and have been using quite a few of your “up” styles in this summer heat. Thanks, Kate!

Where are your gorgeous earrings from?!? Perfect new hairstyle to look dressed up or just do something fun…but it’s so something anyone can at least try! I would love to know where your earrings are from!!

Could you please do a “how to curl long hair” video now that your hair is longer? Mine is just a little longer than yours, layered and thicker texture. I bought a Hot Tools 1 1/4″ iron and have practiced a few times and I keep failing miserably! I somehow leave kink marks in the sections, I get it too thick in spots and the heat fries the inside of the wrapped hair but doesn’t curl the outside, and I burn myself! Any advice, especially a video (cause I am very visual) would be greatly appreciated!

Love!! Again great for the “tween” days…in-between washing, colors, cuts, or just a running late quick day. My hair is finally shoulder length so my guess in FL, time to start pinning it up.

I am really enjoying your blog, which I recently stumbled upon. I am SO tempted to drive from Charlotte to Raleigh just so you can be my hair stylist! :) Thank you for your helpful posts and for representing the Church so well!

That hairdo is so adorable and so easy!! Is your hair fairly thick? I did something just like it with a French braid the other day but my braids ended up really thin. I have pretty medium thick hair too. Do you have any suggestions of how to make it thicker?

LOVE this! I can’t wait to try it. I have similar hair to yours (although yours is growing SO MUCH FASTER than mine!) and it looks so simple that even I can make this work! Thanks for the tutorial, Kate.

I cannot wait to try this! I love braids but often can’t do them especially if they go around the back of my head. This tutorial looks so easy! Plus I am always looking for new ways to put my hair up during this humid NC summer!

I am pregnant and due in october with my second baby. My first pregnancy was through the winter so I loved my thick hair. This summer heat and humidity(south mississippi) is really getting to me and I haven’t wanted to straighten or curl my hair. I just fixed my hair like this and I love it! I love all of your tutorials. I have done every single one :)

The only problem I had was, when I pulled my braids back to pin them. It left a lump, I easily fixed it with bobby pins but what did I do wrong?

Love everything you do!

I’m curious and I’m not sure if you’ve ever touched on this before. But, why do you only use clear elastics as opposed to the cloth like ones?

My 1yr old & I watch your tutorials as I feed him breakfast. This morning he points at the phone as we were watching & goes “ate ate ate”….he was trying to say Kate!
    Awwwww…

I tried this and it looked awful. I did the braids too tight, I think, and one of the braids wasn’t “aimed” back enough. Both should be easy enough to fix. However, I can’t figure out what to do with the ends. My hair’s several inches longer than yours and very coarse which can make it hard to deal with. But the tutorial only showed how to tuck the second side under the first braid (for which my hair was really too long, I think). What do I do with the ends of the first braid?

I am currently growing out my hair and while it’s not quite as long as yours is (yet!), I am still figuring out how to wear it in fun ways. I just stumbled across your blog and I am in love already!! Thanks!

I did this for a wedding on Saturday and got so many compliments!! I’ve always been able to execute hair-do’s, but needed the tutorials to do so, and yours are wonderful!!! Will be a regular follower from now on :o)

I’m headed to the fair with my boys and it’s 90+ degrees so this is perfect! I need to work on getting more height, by this sure beats a boring ponytail! I have some of the aquage coming in the mail soon.

I love this tutorial, as I love all of your tutorials. I noticed you did much less “detail” in the creation of this look though and I really missed that. You’re adorable and your videos are so informative and easy to follow (and I need all the help I can get!) I’m probably being selfish, but I hope you don’t switch to this streamlined format permanently! :)

I am planning to do this hairstyle for a University Ball on the 22nd of this month. What I want to know, is it better to create this hairstyle with 2nd day hair or on the day I wash it?

20. annon(15) says

i have never been able to get my hair to look “fancy” but today i really needed to because i was receiving an academic award. this tutorial saved my life. i looked great getting my award. this style is so easy and fun to do. thank you so much for helpingg me with my hair crisis!!!!!

21. Ana says

Hi Kate!
    I have spent 2 days trying to recreate your hairstyles for the event I am having tomorrow – and I haven’t been so pissed in years. Disappointed, sad, mad, furious.
    I mean, it has absolutely nothing to do with you – it is my hands and my skills. And I greatly appreciate your tutorials. I am sure some people got the results they wanted.

I just want to say that I have picked Fancy ponitail, Messy bun with a braided wrap and Double braided ponytail. And I have been practicing for 2 days. With ugly as hell results. But so much disappointment, so much pain from combing my hair afterwards, so much mess – washing my hair every time after using dry shampoo or powder. And so much frustration and anger. I just had to share.

I have beautiful but very long, very thick wavy hair. I should have known none of this would ever work and I should continue wearing it as is. Because no elastic can even hold a stupid ponytail and all the pins come out as soon as I put them in.

I wish I never found any of those tutorials and just made an appointment with a professional. That would save me so much time, effort and nerves. Thank you for letting me ease my mind.

22. Stephanie says

Hey you say not to use a french braid, but I have bangs at an odd length and I’d like to pull them back with this style. Do you think this could look good with french braids on both sides of the head?

23. Pam Brown says

This style is so cute and fun! How do you get your bun like that? I have tried several ways and can’t figure it out. A little advice would be appreciated! I just love your blog!!

24. Middle Cyclone says

This is a beautiful look and so much simpler to do than it appears! I really love your tutorials as you break everything down so clearly. I’ve already tried a few updos and this one will be my next!

25. Olivia says

I found your blog looking up bridesmaid hair styles and decided on this look. Everyone complemented me on my hair and it was very quick for the hairdresser to do. I’m looking forward to my next event to try out another of your styles then my usual boring ballerina bun and pony tail. Thank you!!

26. Morgan says

I love love love this look, but when I tried it I just failed. I wonder if my hair is just too silky and not textured enough? Your hair seems like it just does what you want it to do. Mine has a mind of it’s own.