Does Benefit’s Stay Flawless 15-Hour Primer Really Work?

The cute packaging was enough to sell me on this new product from Benefit. I’m a fan of their blushes and creaseless cream eyeshadows, but other than those products I haven’t experimented much with the rest of their line.

However, when new products hit the market, especially ones with strong claims like this one, I’m the first in line to give it a try. I do it for you, reader. And for myself. I’ve always been this way. It’s just much more fun now that I get to share it with you!

So, Benefit has a video on their site showing how to apply this product. You can follow their method, or try what I do. It’s not very different.

*in case you ever wanted to see me without a stitch of makeup on

Once the primer is applied, immediately apply your foundation. I used liquid, but you can use whatever foundation you normally use.

If you are interested in seeing the steps I took to get the final look, watch this video. I used a few different products along the way, but the concept is generally the same. I did use my Arbonne foundation, in case you were wondering.

I was very impressed with a few things:
1. The product consistency. It’s slightly tacky, but that means it works.
2. The sheer, non-greasy finish.
3. The longevity. My makeup really looked fresh all day. Even in the heat + humidty.

So, my overall thoughts? I’m sold. And I think this product launches at the perfect time of year. This is the exact month that my makeup starts melting off from the heat of summer. I’m happy to have found a great product to keep everything in place.

Buy it at Sephora for $32.00. PLUS, Sephora has a great return policy in case you don’t love it.

Enjoy your melt-free days of flawless makeup!

1. Katie says
    Posted July 17, 2013

I always seem to have an issue with my makeup not staying through the day. I think I’ll definitely have to gice this a try!

• Posted July 17, 2013

I do too, especially eyeshadow/eyeliner (even with primer)! It drives me nuts.

2. Jen says
    Posted July 17, 2013

Katie, off topic I just wanted to say you look so beautiful lately (not that you haven’t always been of course) but you just look really pretty in your most recent posts.

• Posted July 17, 2013

I agree. It’s the pregnancy! She’s one of those that has “the glow”.

• Becky says

I 3rd that!

::blushing::

3. Kisma says
    Posted July 17, 2013

I might actually try this one – and wanted to just say how gorgeous you look without a stitch of make up on! I have shown my daughter the difference because you provided a wonderful example of how makeup is suppose to enhance natural beauty, not make us look like clowns. So BIG THANK YOU FOR SHARING!

4. Posted July 17, 2013

I’m intrigued! Lately my make-up has been melting off my face by the end of the day! I think I need to check this out! Thanks Kate!

5. Posted July 17, 2013

Is there a store near you for that specific foundation or do you get it shipped to you?

• Posted July 17, 2013

Kate uses Arbonne and it is sold directly by consultants. I am an Arbonne consultant and would be happy to help you. My webpage is http://www.mpienkos.myarbonne.com and you can email me from there.

I order mine online!

6. Nana T says
    Posted July 17, 2013

Perfect one to try. I was just reading how us “older” women need primers due to our thinning skin and wrinkles. Thanks for the tip!

BTW, loved the pics with no makeup. Shows just how beautiful you really are. Try not to melt in the heat.

Blessings~

7. Sara says
    Posted July 17, 2013

Hi Kate! I am also pregnant, only a couple weeks behind you, and I am having horrible skin issues! With everything on the market not being great for you or the baby when your pregnant, could you recommend skincare and makeup that works for you? Your skin looks AMAZING!

Posted July 17, 2013

You can read all about the makeup I wear on the post I linked to in this post!

8. Posted July 17, 2013

Really helpful post! Now I just need to decide whether to buy this or porefessional xx
    Kristie Blogs Beauty

9. Posted July 17, 2013

I’ve been on the search for a primer – I’ve never used one before. Do you like this better than the bare essentials primer? That’s the one I was gravitating towards.

Posted July 17, 2013

It’s been a long time since I’ve used Bare Escentuals primer. . .this does different things. I like it for longevity

10. Betsie says
    Posted July 17, 2013

I love this! I’m definitely going to check it out. Kind of OT, I’m having a really hard time finding a good brown mascara. I feel like black eye liner and mascara are too harsh for me for daytime wear. I’ve found a brown eyeliner I like for everyday, but the brown mascara’s aren’t what I’d like them to be. I really like theBalm Body Builder mascara, but it only comes in black. Any suggestions?

Posted July 17, 2013

Have you considered black/brown? I like Covergirl Lash Blast and it comes in a variety of colors!

• Posted July 19, 2013

I have loved and sworn by the Maybelline Full and Soft mascara in brown for years when I want a casual, “natural” look. I have brown hair so I can get away with wearing black mascara everyday, but I do often reach for brown mascara when I want to look less done up. Full and Soft is one of my all-time favorite formulas (and I’ve tried TONS of mascara–drugstore and high end).

11. Posted July 17, 2013

You are glowing sweet friend! I wondered how this primer worked, I like my Smashbox photo finish primer but think I should give this a try!! xo

12. Posted July 17, 2013

So do you prefer this primer more than the arbonne primer???

Posted July 17, 2013

I can’t choose one over the other, because they do different things. I like them both!

13. Rebecca says
    Posted July 17, 2013

Thanks for doing this review! I was thisclose to purchasing it at Ulta this weekend, but I haven’t read many reviews about it so I held off. I will definitely add this to my to-try list now!

14. Posted July 17, 2013

So glad you posted this! I use a handful of Benefit products, and I am glad to know this primer works! Seems like primers are a hit or miss, glad you found a good one, thanks!

15. J-Berg says
    Posted July 17, 2013

My sephora shopping list is getting so, so long.
    Thanks for the get review πŸ™‚

16. AshleaD says
    Posted July 17, 2013

Thanks for sharing! I have used some Benefit products in the past and I love some, hate some so I would definitely be nervous to pull the trigger on a $30 tube of make-up I wasn’t certain about. Love the blog!

ashleahd.blogspot.com

17. Posted July 17, 2013

you look gorgeous with or without makeup! and you’re right, I’m sold on the cute packaging alone!! xo

18. Jenni says
    Posted July 17, 2013

Glad to see this review! I love some Benefit products (Bo-ing Bo-ing concealer is a must-have for me) but I wasn’t crazy about their other primer, The Porefessional. I’ll give this one a shot!

19. ~Angie says
    Posted July 17, 2013

I totally overdo it. I use a primer, the Smashbox Photo Finish or BB cream, and I use the Urban Decay DeSlick make up setting spray. I have found it really holds up in the hot and humid summer. I have been wanting to try this product, so thank you so much for reviewing it!

20. Posted July 17, 2013

what lipgloss are your wearing?!

21. Posted July 17, 2013

I love the benefit line, but haven’t tried this yet. One other thing that I think really helps my makeup stay in place is their pore minimizer, “The Pore-fessional” – it kind of builds a base and, I think, smooths out little imperfections so the rest of my makeup goes on better.

Also, you look wonderful without any makeup! It’s nice to see someone who uses makeup as enhancement, not concealment!

22. krq says
    Posted July 17, 2013

Do you know anything about the Smashbox Photo Finish primer?? I was planning on purchasing it for my upcoming wedding, but after reading this review, I’m wondering if I should get this instead! I’m curious if one or the other would be better for photos…let me know your thoughts! πŸ™‚

• Posted July 17, 2013

I got the smash box photo finish primer in a sampler set around Christmas. I’ve used it a few times but to me it feels a little greasy or waxy.

Posted July 17, 2013

I am NOT a fan of any Smashbox primer. Definitely try this one!

• Posted July 17, 2013

krq, this is going to sound totally weird, but I used Monistat chafing gel as the primer for my wedding. Apparently it has the same formula as the expensive primers. I found that it went on really smooth and soft, and it didn’t irritate my skin. I don’t know if I would use it as an every day primer, though I guess it’d be fine, but it definitely worked for my wedding. My makeup stayed on all day (I did it myself) and looked very good in pictures. Just something to think about.

• krq says
      Posted July 18, 2013

Thank you Beth and Kate for the great advice! I’ll definitely go with this primer instead of the smashbox one. And Megan, that’s not weird at all! I’ve actually heard that one before, and I think I may try that when I do my makeup trial run and then test out the benefit one as well before the big day. Thanks again for the tips! I’m getting super excited for the big day, and even more so that I get to buy new beauty things! haha! πŸ™‚

• Posted July 18, 2013

Glad to help! I think a great foundation is key too. I bought Make Up For Ever’s HD Invisible Cover Foundation because I heard it was great for photos. I loved that stuff, and I don’t normally wear liquid foundation. The price hurts, but you don’t need much. Make sure to get color matched, though. I also used MUFE’s HD Microfinish Powder to set everything when I was finished. I found a travel size for $15 in Sephora’s mini section.

• krq says
      Posted July 18, 2013

Ooooooh yes…I’ll definitely have to try that out. I bought a MF concealer a while back and it’s the best concealer I’ve ever used. Totally worth every penny. I went to Sephora on my lunch break today and bought the primer and the Caudalie beauty elixir (which I think I’ve read about on here), and I’m already in love with both! The elixir spray will be so perfect when I’m traveling for the honeymoon, plus we go back and forth between our house and our hometown, so I’m in the car all the time. So excited! πŸ™‚ Thanks again everyone for all the great advice. And Kate, you’re as pretty as ever, and I think that photo of you sans makeup is freaking beautiful and would be amazing as a big black and white picture. πŸ™‚

23. Posted July 17, 2013

It’s definitely going to my wishlist! xx

Justine | BRIGHTON DREAM

24. Posted July 17, 2013

I just posted a pic on facebook last night telling all my friends to get this now. I love it. Last night at the gym at 6:30 pm, my trainer asked me if I had come straight from work. I was like no, why? You usually don’t come in here all made up. I was so excited! Not like he cares, but I was all bubbly about the new primer I had. He just rolled his eyes and made me continue to climb up the rope… πŸ™‚

Posted July 17, 2013

haha! Good work climbing the rope!

25. Posted July 17, 2013

A couple questions:
    1. Does it make you break out anymore? Since getting pregnant my face has cleared up and then broken out so don’t know what to expect of it especially with something like this on my face. Would it work if all I put on was some bronzer/powder on top of it?

2. What color nail polish do you have on in these pics? You always have such good colors! πŸ™‚

Posted July 17, 2013

Does what make me break out? The Benefit primer? It never has.
      My skin cleared up completely when I started using Arbonne products. I’ve gotten a few blemishes since being pregnant, but nothing terrible.
      And I’m wearing Essies Ballet Slippers on my nails!

26. Posted July 17, 2013

I’ve heard such great things about this stuff. When I finish my current primer I’m onto this!

27. Posted July 17, 2013

I don’t usually comment on blogs because I see that you are already on overload with questions. Anyway, I’ve been meaning to message you for quite some time about your post on BB creams. You said you really like the Revlon BB cream. I am currently using the Loreal BB cream and have tried a sample of the Rimmel but thought it was awful (thick, weird coloring, hard to blend….) Have you tried the Loreal BB cream and if you have, could you tell me why you like Revlon better? I hate buying new products because 9 times out of 10, they end up in heap of unused makeup. By the way I was in awe of the pictures on the post today. I saw the pictures of you without makeup and didn’t even realize it was you until I scrolled down. Your skin looks so flawless! I might have to invest in the 15 hour primer. Thanks for all the great posts, I love following your blog.

Posted July 17, 2013

I haven’t used the Loreal, but keep in mind you can usually return products you don’t like!

• Lacey says
      Posted July 18, 2013

I have tried several BB creams and they are all a weird consistency to me. I end up using them by mixing them in with my face lotion and making it into a “tinted moisturizer”. I’m currently using Estee Lauder BB cream, and it’s awesome. I tried Supergoop CC cream through birchbox and I love that, and I’ll probably switch to that.

• Posted July 18, 2013

Lacey: I am using the Revlon Photo Ready BB cream. I’ve also used the Garnier BB cream. Hate them both. Garnier makes my skin breakout and very oily, easy to put on though but I’m having an oily face overload. Revlon goes on not so easy, and I’m having to use three oil blotting sheets a day to cover up the shinny. I guess its about expirementing since everyone’s skin is so different.

So Kate, does this primer you reviewed, does it make/ leave your face oily? How about half way through your day, especially with the humidity? I stopped using the Bare minerals primer because my skin was too oily, even with using their oil free primer.

• Posted July 18, 2013

This comment has been removed by the author.

28. Emily says
    Posted July 17, 2013

Other primers have made me break out. I wonder if this will do the same. Thanks for the review!

29. Posted July 17, 2013

I am really excited to try this! Imagining my makeup lasting through the work day and into post-work social activities is too great. Thanks for sharing!

30. Posted July 17, 2013

Well, you have officially added another product to pick up to my list πŸ™‚

31. lmlks69 says
    Posted July 17, 2013

I’m new to the whole primer scene, but as some previous comments have mentioned, as I age, I’m noticing more creases, wrinkles and I think this might help some. I do have a question in regards to skin color and this particular primer. You, Kate, are fairly “fair-complected”. I on the other hand am 100% Mexican and have a deep caramel coloring. Would this primer be OK for my skin as well?

Posted July 17, 2013

Absolutely! It’s completely sheer, no color at all. It’s just supposed to prep your skin for makeup application!

32. Posted July 17, 2013

oooo this stuff looks amazing! thanks for reviewing it!

33. Kristin says
    Posted July 17, 2013

Does it offer any coverage? It just a primer for a higher coverage makeup?

Posted July 17, 2013

Nope, no coverage. Completely sheer. Preps your skin for makeup application

34. AnnaMB says
    Posted July 17, 2013

Can you use bb cream with this primer? If so, do you apply bb cream first or then prime, then foundation? or primer, bb cream then foundation. Or is bb cream supposed to replace foundation. I like the qualities of bb cream but sometimes want more coverage. I’ve loved every benefit product I have bought so far. Buying this for sure! Thanks!

Posted July 17, 2013

Sure, but prime first. Bb Cream usually replaces foundation, but you can finish with a dusting of foundation powder for more coverage

35. Janna says
    Posted July 17, 2013

I am going to have to try that! My make-up always looks like it’s melted off when I tailgate and then go to the games!

36. Martyna says
    Posted July 17, 2013

Oh, this primer is on my wishlist and I really want to try it. Especially now, that I know it’s good! Thanks xx

Martyna | NEON MIZZLE

37. Jessica says
    Posted July 17, 2013

I have to ask… Do you PREFER Benefit over Arbonne? I contacted the same consultant that you mentioned in your blog and she sent me samples. I’ve been holding off ordering anything until you reviewed this.

Posted July 17, 2013

They do different things, so I like them both. For long wearing makeup, Benefit is best. But I still wear my Arbonne Primer daily.

• Posted July 24, 2013

Can you tell me what the differences are? I am super interested in the Benefit primer but know a girl who sells arbonne and would love to best the differences before I make a decision!!

• Posted July 24, 2013

38. Posted July 17, 2013

I’ve been seeing this on just about every blog and I swear I need to try!
    xx http://enzaessentials.wordpress.com

39. Posted July 17, 2013

Thanks for the review – I must try this! I also love Benefit’s Dandelion pressed powder. It’s amazing!

By the way – YOU ARE GLOWING!!!

40. Kristen says
    Posted July 17, 2013

Sounds like it works great! I definitely will try. My skin is as light as yours but I also have terrible dark circles under my eyes. I’ve tried many of the products you’ve mentioned and they have really enhanced the look of my face. (I am terrible at makeup) My one question is do you have any suggestions for lightening dark circles? It doesn’t appear like you have any but I’ve tried literally EVERY product out there, even $100+ items. Any suggestions would be great!

Posted July 17, 2013

Bobbi Brown’s corrector is a game-changer.

• Posted July 17, 2013

Hi Kristen! I have horrible dark circles. They’ve been there since birth, and sleeping/drinking water/etc doesn’t help. It all depends on what’s causing your undereye circles. It could be shadows from the way your eyes are set, it could be weird circulation that allows the blood to pool under your eyes, it could be bruising from being too aggressive with your eye makeup application, etc. Those things aren’t really “fixable” with a product, at least none that I’ve found. They do make products called eye brighteners that help conceal circles and contain light reflecting particles to help diminish the appearance of circles. I just started trying Origina GinZeng eye cream, which does this. I’ve only used it a bit, so I don’t know about it’s long-term worth, but it seems to help a bit. Bare Minerals also makes an eye brightener product, and some concealers have similar properties (I’ve found the creamy one to be this way).

• Kristen says
      Posted July 18, 2013

Thanks!

• Posted October 10, 2013

Bobbi Brown’s corrector didn’t work for me. I found Makeup forever camouflage cream has much better coverage. http://www.makeupforever.com/products/complexion/concealers/camouflage-cream.html
      I am still on the lookout for a product that doesn’t crease into my fine lines, though

41. Posted July 17, 2013

Love these results! I look forward to trying it!

42. Dana says
    Posted July 17, 2013

I am always on the hunt for the “perfect” product (primers are a wonder!) and I think I’ll have to give this one a go. I’ve used Smashbox Photo Finish Light and currently have Estee Lauder Matte Perfecting Primer. I think longevity is the whole point of a primer and you’ve convinced me to try Benefit!

43. Posted July 17, 2013

I’m so glad to see this review. Thinking about giving this a try.

Especially with our high humidity right now, my skin is becoming VERY oily/shiney. Does this help at all with that? I’ve tried two different primers now that are “mattifying” & claim to help keep your skin from getting oily. Neither is helping. My face looks like a slip ‘n slide!

44. Posted July 17, 2013

So, should this help control shine also? I have fairly oily skin and it’s always a little worse when I try something new. Wondering if this would be worth it…

• Sockwun says
      Posted July 18, 2013

I have the same problem! My biggest problem after melting makeup is oiliness. I refrain from changing foundations because of that.

xoxo
      Sockwun
      ExtraExtravagant

45. rt says
    Posted July 17, 2013

Very beautiful natural look!

46. Carly says
    Posted July 17, 2013

I might need to try this!!

Carly

47. Posted July 18, 2013

Have you tried the Urban Decay makeup setting sprays? What are your thoughts on those?

48. Posted July 18, 2013

Are you wearing anything on your lips?

49. Ashlee says
    Posted July 18, 2013

If I fly to NC will you teach me how to do my makeup? Seriously, you’re pretty without makeup but you use it to make everything better in the best way!!

• Sockwun says
      Posted July 18, 2013

I feel like those are the people who truly know how to use makeup. They dont need it, but they use it to accentuate their features.

xoxo
      Sockwun
      ExtraExtravagant

50. LuluG says
    Posted July 18, 2013

Your skin looks really good, it has that nice natural no make-up, make-up look.

51. Sockwun says
    Posted July 18, 2013

I have been eyeing this product ever since I heard that it was coming out. I havent found the ultimate face primer yet, and Ive heard such great things about this one that I really want to try it asap. Thank you for sharing!

xoxo
    Sockwun
    ExtraExtravagant

52. Posted July 18, 2013

you have nice skin to begin with but the after is really gorgeous! I’m curious what product you used to warm up your skin….like did you use a bronzer, and if so which one? I have fair skin as well and am always on the hunt for one that isn’t too obvious.

53. Posted July 18, 2013

I wavered so much on whether or not to buy this, but I think you’ve convinced me to take the plunge!

54. Mia says
    Posted July 18, 2013

So would you put on a moisturizer first and then the primer?

55. Posted July 18, 2013

I can’t wait to try this!! My make up melts off so fast in this southern heat. Thanks for sharing your honest opinions!!

56. Posted July 18, 2013

I bought this today, and plan to try it out tomorrow! I really need something that works, becuase my foundation looks awful after just 2-3 hours.

57. Posted July 18, 2013

I will have to check this out, this sounds great!

xx
    Kelly
    Sparkles and Shoes

58. Steph says
    Posted July 18, 2013

Kate, what brand of facial moisturizer do you use and love?

59. Posted July 19, 2013

Been thinking about trying this, and YOU just sold me on it!!!

60. Posted July 19, 2013

What’s on your lips? So pretty!!

61. Kelsey says
    Posted July 21, 2013

Thanks for the review! I have oily skin and am always looking for a primer to help keep my face looking fresh. Can’t wait to give this a try.

Also, you. are. gorgeous.

62. Posted July 25, 2013

Thanks for the post and also for the video..it really lot of point that i have remember while applying these make up products…
    Once again Thank KATE and also thinking about what would be next post…?????
    howtofindwhatyouneed.com

63. Posted July 31, 2013

you look so much like your sister without makeup on!

64. Posted August 2, 2013

Don’t get me wrong here, but you have the cutest face, yes even without make-up… I know that is not the point, but just had to throw that in. Your skin looks pretty good. I have noticed that most people who wear make-up have kind of sallow skin, but yours looks pretty healthy. Do you wear it every day?

65. Posted August 7, 2013

I just bought this today after work & can’t wait to try it out! Thanks for sharing!

66. Posted August 13, 2013

Instant make-up step every girl will definitely like it…
    Pierre Lemond Photography

67. Posted August 19, 2013

I bought this primer and love it!!! Thanks for this wonderful blog πŸ™‚

68. Posted October 9, 2013

I can’t believe this is the first time I’ve ever seen you without makeup. I mean, despite me having every single previous roommate and/or sister try to help me catch you with morning hair. Hehehehehe.

69. Posted July 28, 2014

I like the helpful info you provide in your articles.

I will bookmark your blog and check again here regularly.
    I am quite sure I’ll learn many new stuff right
    here! Best of luck for the next!

70. Posted August 4, 2014

I’m gone to say to my little brother, that he should also visit this web site on regular basis to take updated from most recent reports.

71. Posted November 21, 2017

I have recently started a blog, the information you provide on this site has helped
    me greatly. Thank you for all of your time &