Does Benefit’s Stay Flawless 15-Hour Primer Really Work?

The cute packaging was enough to sell me on this new product from Benefit. I’m a fan of their blushes and creaseless cream eyeshadows, but other than those products I haven’t experimented much with the rest of their line.

However, when new products hit the market, especially ones with strong claims like this one, I’m the first in line to give it a try. I do it for you, reader. And for myself. I’ve always been this way. It’s just much more fun now that I get to share it with you!

So, Benefit has a video on their site showing how to apply this product. You can follow their method, or try what I do. It’s not very different.

*in case you ever wanted to see me without a stitch of makeup on

Once the primer is applied, immediately apply your foundation. I used liquid, but you can use whatever foundation you normally use.

If you are interested in seeing the steps I took to get the final look, watch this video. I used a few different products along the way, but the concept is generally the same. I did use my Arbonne foundation, in case you were wondering.

I was very impressed with a few things:
1. The product consistency. It’s slightly tacky, but that means it works.
2. The sheer, non-greasy finish.
3. The longevity. My makeup really looked fresh all day. Even in the heat + humidty.

So, my overall thoughts? I’m sold. And I think this product launches at the perfect time of year. This is the exact month that my makeup starts melting off from the heat of summer. I’m happy to have found a great product to keep everything in place.

Buy it at Sephora for $32.00. PLUS, Sephora has a great return policy in case you don’t love it.

Enjoy your melt-free days of flawless makeup!

Comments

Katie, off topic I just wanted to say you look so beautiful lately (not that you haven’t always been of course) but you just look really pretty in your most recent posts.

I might actually try this one – and wanted to just say how gorgeous you look without a stitch of make up on! I have shown my daughter the difference because you provided a wonderful example of how makeup is suppose to enhance natural beauty, not make us look like clowns. So BIG THANK YOU FOR SHARING!

Perfect one to try. I was just reading how us “older” women need primers due to our thinning skin and wrinkles. Thanks for the tip!

BTW, loved the pics with no makeup. Shows just how beautiful you really are. Try not to melt in the heat.

Blessings~

Hi Kate! I am also pregnant, only a couple weeks behind you, and I am having horrible skin issues! With everything on the market not being great for you or the baby when your pregnant, could you recommend skincare and makeup that works for you? Your skin looks AMAZING!

I’ve been on the search for a primer – I’ve never used one before. Do you like this better than the bare essentials primer? That’s the one I was gravitating towards.

I love this! I’m definitely going to check it out. Kind of OT, I’m having a really hard time finding a good brown mascara. I feel like black eye liner and mascara are too harsh for me for daytime wear. I’ve found a brown eyeliner I like for everyday, but the brown mascara’s aren’t what I’d like them to be. I really like theBalm Body Builder mascara, but it only comes in black. Any suggestions?

• says

I have loved and sworn by the Maybelline Full and Soft mascara in brown for years when I want a casual, “natural” look. I have brown hair so I can get away with wearing black mascara everyday, but I do often reach for brown mascara when I want to look less done up. Full and Soft is one of my all-time favorite formulas (and I’ve tried TONS of mascara–drugstore and high end).

Thanks for doing this review! I was thisclose to purchasing it at Ulta this weekend, but I haven’t read many reviews about it so I held off. I will definitely add this to my to-try list now!

Thanks for sharing! I have used some Benefit products in the past and I love some, hate some so I would definitely be nervous to pull the trigger on a $30 tube of make-up I wasn’t certain about. Love the blog!

ashleahd.blogspot.com

Glad to see this review! I love some Benefit products (Bo-ing Bo-ing concealer is a must-have for me) but I wasn’t crazy about their other primer, The Porefessional. I’ll give this one a shot!

I totally overdo it. I use a primer, the Smashbox Photo Finish or BB cream, and I use the Urban Decay DeSlick make up setting spray. I have found it really holds up in the hot and humid summer. I have been wanting to try this product, so thank you so much for reviewing it!

I love the benefit line, but haven’t tried this yet. One other thing that I think really helps my makeup stay in place is their pore minimizer, “The Pore-fessional” – it kind of builds a base and, I think, smooths out little imperfections so the rest of my makeup goes on better.

Also, you look wonderful without any makeup! It’s nice to see someone who uses makeup as enhancement, not concealment!

Do you know anything about the Smashbox Photo Finish primer?? I was planning on purchasing it for my upcoming wedding, but after reading this review, I’m wondering if I should get this instead! I’m curious if one or the other would be better for photos…let me know your thoughts! :)

• says

krq, this is going to sound totally weird, but I used Monistat chafing gel as the primer for my wedding. Apparently it has the same formula as the expensive primers. I found that it went on really smooth and soft, and it didn’t irritate my skin. I don’t know if I would use it as an every day primer, though I guess it’d be fine, but it definitely worked for my wedding. My makeup stayed on all day (I did it myself) and looked very good in pictures. Just something to think about.

• says

Thank you Beth and Kate for the great advice! I’ll definitely go with this primer instead of the smashbox one. And Megan, that’s not weird at all! I’ve actually heard that one before, and I think I may try that when I do my makeup trial run and then test out the benefit one as well before the big day. Thanks again for the tips! I’m getting super excited for the big day, and even more so that I get to buy new beauty things! haha! :)

• says

Glad to help! I think a great foundation is key too. I bought Make Up For Ever’s HD Invisible Cover Foundation because I heard it was great for photos. I loved that stuff, and I don’t normally wear liquid foundation. The price hurts, but you don’t need much. Make sure to get color matched, though. I also used MUFE’s HD Microfinish Powder to set everything when I was finished. I found a travel size for $15 in Sephora’s mini section.

• says

Ooooooh yes…I’ll definitely have to try that out. I bought a MF concealer a while back and it’s the best concealer I’ve ever used. Totally worth every penny. I went to Sephora on my lunch break today and bought the primer and the Caudalie beauty elixir (which I think I’ve read about on here), and I’m already in love with both! The elixir spray will be so perfect when I’m traveling for the honeymoon, plus we go back and forth between our house and our hometown, so I’m in the car all the time. So excited! :) Thanks again everyone for all the great advice. And Kate, you’re as pretty as ever, and I think that photo of you sans makeup is freaking beautiful and would be amazing as a big black and white picture. :)

I just posted a pic on facebook last night telling all my friends to get this now. I love it. Last night at the gym at 6:30 pm, my trainer asked me if I had come straight from work. I was like no, why? You usually don’t come in here all made up. I was so excited! Not like he cares, but I was all bubbly about the new primer I had. He just rolled his eyes and made me continue to climb up the rope… :)

A couple questions:
    1. Does it make you break out anymore? Since getting pregnant my face has cleared up and then broken out so don’t know what to expect of it especially with something like this on my face. Would it work if all I put on was some bronzer/powder on top of it?

2. What color nail polish do you have on in these pics? You always have such good colors! :)

• says

Does what make me break out? The Benefit primer? It never has.
      My skin cleared up completely when I started using Arbonne products. I’ve gotten a few blemishes since being pregnant, but nothing terrible.
      And I’m wearing Essies Ballet Slippers on my nails!

I don’t usually comment on blogs because I see that you are already on overload with questions. Anyway, I’ve been meaning to message you for quite some time about your post on BB creams. You said you really like the Revlon BB cream. I am currently using the Loreal BB cream and have tried a sample of the Rimmel but thought it was awful (thick, weird coloring, hard to blend….) Have you tried the Loreal BB cream and if you have, could you tell me why you like Revlon better? I hate buying new products because 9 times out of 10, they end up in heap of unused makeup. By the way I was in awe of the pictures on the post today. I saw the pictures of you without makeup and didn’t even realize it was you until I scrolled down. Your skin looks so flawless! I might have to invest in the 15 hour primer. Thanks for all the great posts, I love following your blog.

• says

I have tried several BB creams and they are all a weird consistency to me. I end up using them by mixing them in with my face lotion and making it into a “tinted moisturizer”. I’m currently using Estee Lauder BB cream, and it’s awesome. I tried Supergoop CC cream through birchbox and I love that, and I’ll probably switch to that.

• says

Lacey: I am using the Revlon Photo Ready BB cream. I’ve also used the Garnier BB cream. Hate them both. Garnier makes my skin breakout and very oily, easy to put on though but I’m having an oily face overload. Revlon goes on not so easy, and I’m having to use three oil blotting sheets a day to cover up the shinny. I guess its about expirementing since everyone’s skin is so different.

So Kate, does this primer you reviewed, does it make/ leave your face oily? How about half way through your day, especially with the humidity? I stopped using the Bare minerals primer because my skin was too oily, even with using their oil free primer.

I’m new to the whole primer scene, but as some previous comments have mentioned, as I age, I’m noticing more creases, wrinkles and I think this might help some. I do have a question in regards to skin color and this particular primer. You, Kate, are fairly “fair-complected”. I on the other hand am 100% Mexican and have a deep caramel coloring. Would this primer be OK for my skin as well?

Can you use bb cream with this primer? If so, do you apply bb cream first or then prime, then foundation? or primer, bb cream then foundation. Or is bb cream supposed to replace foundation. I like the qualities of bb cream but sometimes want more coverage. I’ve loved every benefit product I have bought so far. Buying this for sure! Thanks!

• says

Sure, but prime first. Bb Cream usually replaces foundation, but you can finish with a dusting of foundation powder for more coverage

I have to ask… Do you PREFER Benefit over Arbonne? I contacted the same consultant that you mentioned in your blog and she sent me samples. I’ve been holding off ordering anything until you reviewed this.

• says

They do different things, so I like them both. For long wearing makeup, Benefit is best. But I still wear my Arbonne Primer daily.

• says

Can you tell me what the differences are? I am super interested in the Benefit primer but know a girl who sells arbonne and would love to best the differences before I make a decision!!

• says

Sounds like it works great! I definitely will try. My skin is as light as yours but I also have terrible dark circles under my eyes. I’ve tried many of the products you’ve mentioned and they have really enhanced the look of my face. (I am terrible at makeup) My one question is do you have any suggestions for lightening dark circles? It doesn’t appear like you have any but I’ve tried literally EVERY product out there, even $100+ items. Any suggestions would be great!

• says

Hi Kristen! I have horrible dark circles. They’ve been there since birth, and sleeping/drinking water/etc doesn’t help. It all depends on what’s causing your undereye circles. It could be shadows from the way your eyes are set, it could be weird circulation that allows the blood to pool under your eyes, it could be bruising from being too aggressive with your eye makeup application, etc. Those things aren’t really “fixable” with a product, at least none that I’ve found. They do make products called eye brighteners that help conceal circles and contain light reflecting particles to help diminish the appearance of circles. I just started trying Origina GinZeng eye cream, which does this. I’ve only used it a bit, so I don’t know about it’s long-term worth, but it seems to help a bit. Bare Minerals also makes an eye brightener product, and some concealers have similar properties (I’ve found the creamy one to be this way).

I am always on the hunt for the “perfect” product (primers are a wonder!) and I think I’ll have to give this one a go. I’ve used Smashbox Photo Finish Light and currently have Estee Lauder Matte Perfecting Primer. I think longevity is the whole point of a primer and you’ve convinced me to try Benefit!

I’m so glad to see this review. Thinking about giving this a try.

Especially with our high humidity right now, my skin is becoming VERY oily/shiney. Does this help at all with that? I’ve tried two different primers now that are “mattifying” & claim to help keep your skin from getting oily. Neither is helping. My face looks like a slip ‘n slide!

If I fly to NC will you teach me how to do my makeup? Seriously, you’re pretty without makeup but you use it to make everything better in the best way!!

I have been eyeing this product ever since I heard that it was coming out. I havent found the ultimate face primer yet, and Ive heard such great things about this one that I really want to try it asap. Thank you for sharing!

xoxo
    Sockwun
    ExtraExtravagant

you have nice skin to begin with but the after is really gorgeous! I’m curious what product you used to warm up your skin….like did you use a bronzer, and if so which one? I have fair skin as well and am always on the hunt for one that isn’t too obvious.

Thanks for the review! I have oily skin and am always looking for a primer to help keep my face looking fresh. Can’t wait to give this a try.

Also, you. are. gorgeous.

Don’t get me wrong here, but you have the cutest face, yes even without make-up… I know that is not the point, but just had to throw that in. Your skin looks pretty good. I have noticed that most people who wear make-up have kind of sallow skin, but yours looks pretty healthy. Do you wear it every day?

I can’t believe this is the first time I’ve ever seen you without makeup. I mean, despite me having every single previous roommate and/or sister try to help me catch you with morning hair. Hehehehehe.