Building Your Makeup Collection : Part 3

Read Parts 1 and 2 on Building Your Makeup Collection!

It’s fun to play around with a few extras every once in awhile! These are some of my picks for “non-essentials” that are still great to have on hand.

9. Bronzer adds warmth. Bronzer comes second to blush, in my opinion. And once you find a bronzer that works for your skin color, it may become your favorite product to date. The key when shopping for a bronzer is to look for something that isn’t too orange/red, but is warm enough to add a subtle glow. Trying out a variety of bronzers may take awhile, but it’s worth finding the right one.

10. Highlighter is a oftentimes a forgotten product that will give you a beautiful glow. I didn’t start really using highlighter until the last year or so. I never found one that made a big enough difference. I tried Bare Escentuals Luminizer in “The Shining Moment”. It was the perfect mix of brightness with the most subtle shimmer. If you are looking for a very concentrated highlighter, go for a cream/liquid. Once you rub it in, it will look really natural and give you a beautiful glow.

11. I really think a bold lip color is an “eventual essential” for anyone’s makeup collection. It doesn’t have to be the first lipstick you buy, but I think it needs to be something you eventually add once you feel comfortable (and confident!) with makeup. Either classic red, or something fun (like a punchy coral color). Wearing a bold lip color, with minimal eye makeup, is a really fresh and youthful look. If I need a “statement lip”, I grab my favorite red lipstick

12. Have at least one fun piece to experiment with. It can be false lashes, and colorful eyeshadow palette, or maybe even a liquid liner pen that makes drawing a cat eye super simple. Find a product that excites you and that you grab to use for girls night out, or a fancy event you have to go to. Most recently, my “fun” product is the Naked 2 palette. It’s neutrals so it is completely acceptable for everyday wear, but it allows me to be really creative in the morning with the huge variety of shadows to choose from!
And this wraps it up! These are my 12 makeup basics (with a couple extras) to either get you started or to help you fill in the holes of your makeup collection. The only thing I completely forgot to add, that I use on a daily basis is brow color. It’s kind of a “boring” thing to do, but it truly is a necessity!

I’m planning on hosting a live blog chat on Monday night (7/29) at 9p EST to answer any questions about this Makeup Collection Series. Feel free to ask other random makeup questions as well! If you want to see how a “live blog chat” works, you can watch this one
Be sure to “like” The Small Things Blog on facebook as I will share the link for you to watch  the chat live on the page!
The best way to have your questions answered during a live blog chat is to tweet them at me during the chat! You can find me on twitter at K8_smallthings !

Comments

I’ve always been a lip gloss girl, but I really need to try get a lipstick. They’re so many beautiful colors out there, it’s so hard to choose the right one that best for me.

Hi Kate,
    Random Question- what are your thoughts on razoring someone’s hair? I have a bob/lob haircut and my old stylist used to razor because I have insanely thick hair. He moved out of state and my new stylist doesn’t believe in razoring. He is a great stylist and I respect him very much but I feel my hair does need to be razored because of how bulky it is. He does do techniques that he says gives me the same affect and when i walk away form the salon it does look great but of course i never get me hair the same way and it is so bulky when I style it. His reasoning is that razoring damages hair and that is why he refuses. Do you agree? Do you razor on clients? Thanks!

• says

Hi Carly, How do you use the High Beam highlighter? Where do you put it on your face? I have some and want to use it, but I don’t know how!
      Mackenzie

I would love to know your thoughts on how to use the ‘fun’ eyeshadows that are in bright colors (like you showed in the picture).I have colors like that, but i’m not exactly sure how to place them on the eyelid. Do I continue to use a neutral base, then color in the crease or vice versa? Or, switch out the lid color? Or mix them? I have gotten them before, but really not comfortable to use, so they sit in the makeup stash. Since I love your daily makeup routine so much, I figured you might have suggestions for me. thanks for this great blog and congrats on your news!

My sister recently introduced me to your blog. I’ve tried a couple of your hairstyles, and I look forward to trying out your make-up tips. I just wanted to tell you that you look so identical to the waitress from It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia. I don’t know if anyone has ever told you that before. Her name is Mary Elizabeth Ellis.

I just wanted to say that I have been following your blog for awhile now, but hadn’t tried out any of your tutorials until recently – a needy infant took up quite a bit of my time. :) I recently started trying out new hairstyles and your tutorials make it SO EASY! Where were you like ten years ago?! lol I will have to start with your makeup tips soon!