Recovery

The thing about being under the weather is that everything on your “to do” list never gets done.

My house is a mess.

I have spent literally the bare minimum amount of time on my blog this week.

All I do is sit on the couch after an exhausting day at the studio.

Grits has been my buddy.

It’s mentally hard to be sick! And I’ve really realized how much I take my health for granted! I have a to do list a mile long and usually I chip away at it at a regular pace. But this week, it became stagnant. And I really struggle with that.

I’m not good at rest. I like to do. I like to go go go and take on new responsibilities and projects. But I learned a very valuable lesson this week–rest is good. And there are going to be chapters in my life that require rest. And that’s okay. Be prepared for those.

So, I’ve added a few more things to my “to do” list now that I’m feeling better. First, draft some back up posts for weeks like this. I usually spend a little bit of time on the weekend and a lot of time on Mondays and Tuesdays when I’m not in the studio to draft my posts for the week ahead. But when the weekend and my blog work days are taken from me? I got nothin’.

Secondly, I’d love to embrace rest better–and not look at it as a hinderance.
I’m filming a new tutorial this weekend for Monday (glad to be getting back to doing those!) and hoping to have fresh, new content all next week! Thanks for bearing with me during this dud week here on the blog.

1. Britt says
    Posted May 9, 2013

Get well soon! xo

2. julie says
    Posted May 9, 2013

Your rest and health is VERY important! Take good care. We will wait!

3. Posted May 9, 2013

Feel better!

4. Posted May 9, 2013

Pets always enjoy our down time. πŸ™‚

5. Posted May 9, 2013

I pray you start feeling better soon! Take the time you need to take care of yourself. Love your blog <3

6. Posted May 9, 2013

I totally know what you mean! I definitely don’t do well when I’m sick and can’t do my usual routine, but I tell myself that rest is important; otherwise, it’ll take that much longer to feel better. Take care!

7. Nana T says
    Posted May 9, 2013

Your body has a way of telling you when your doing too much. We tend to try not to listen until we are “hit upside the head” so that we can’t ignore it anymore. Time to listen and rest.
    Take some “Kate” time. Glad your feeling some better, continued healing! We’ll all still be here patiently waiting. πŸ™‚
    God Bless

8. Sabrina says
    Posted May 9, 2013

Hope you start feeling better soon! Listen to your body & rest…it’s good for the soul…even when we are those type of people that like to GO GO GO! πŸ™‚ Take care πŸ™‚

9. Lora says
    Posted May 9, 2013

We’re all human, Kudos for keeping it real! Hope you feel better soon πŸ™‚

10. Posted May 9, 2013

Girlfriend, I feel you!! I’ve been sick for the past 2 weeks. I took the past few days off of work and am finally back at it. Still feeling yucky, but much better after those restful days. I hope and pray you continue to mend!

11. Claire says
    Posted May 9, 2013

Rest is so important, but I struggle too! Get well soon.

12. Posted May 9, 2013

Glad you’re starting to feel better. Enjoy resting while you can!

13. Posted May 9, 2013

No need to apologize! Take care of yourself and looking forward to new posts soon:)

14. 2busy says
    Posted May 9, 2013

Sometimes it is good to get sick because it makes us more appreciative of when we are better. Hang in there…

15. Carrie says
    Posted May 9, 2013

I know how you feel! It drives me crazy when I’m sick and can’t get things done. I learned the hard way when I had kids that you can’t always get everything done. There are many days when I don’t get anything done, well, anything that I thought I wanted to get done. I’ve slowly realized that the quality time spent with my girls is very fruitful, just not what I expected. I love reading your blog and have missed the posts this week, but I hope you’re feeling better soon, that’s the most important!

16. Posted May 9, 2013

Feel better soon!

17. Posted May 9, 2013

I hope you feel better soon!

18. Posted May 9, 2013

Take care, rest and rebuild you will feel better for it. Hugz

19. Posted May 9, 2013

Feel better soon! I am horrible at resting too.

The Grass Skirt Blog

20. Posted May 9, 2013

Praying you feel better soon!

21. Posted May 9, 2013

I can totally relate! I’m a go-go-go person too, never sitting idle for long! Hope you feel better soon!

22. ....... says
    Posted May 9, 2013

feel better I know how it is when you are sick and you just cant manage to get off the couch to do all the things you are dying to do. xx. gigi. food and beauty blogger @ http://www.gigikkitchen.blogspot.com

23. Posted May 9, 2013

I’m horrible at rest too, but it just goes to show the American dichotomy- it seems people are either super lazy or super busy!

24. Unknown says
    Posted May 10, 2013

If you cannot spend a day to relax/rest/nap with a cat and a warm blanket…you really are not the cat lady I thought you were! πŸ™‚

25. Posted May 10, 2013

kate…i was just wondering if you have ever tried meditation? i am the kind of person who doesn’t like to rest enough, like you said, because i would rather be doing something, and not “just resting”. i downloaded some free meditation podcasts from itunes and i use them a lot now. They just help me to slow my mind down and relax more….and i rest so much better now. anyway…just a little information for you to consider. i really hope you feel better soon!

26. Carolyn says
    Posted May 10, 2013

Fell better soon! I don’t even want to look at my to-do-list. It took up two pages in my journal and that’s still not everything.

<3 Carolyn
    Simply Vera VERA WANG Giveaway

27. Sabrina says
    Posted May 10, 2013

Oh, I could have written this. We want to keep going, do new things, be creative all the time. But when it’s too much, your body slaps you in the face and says: “You’re sick. Get rest.”
    Dear Kate, I learned from it the hard way and found myself in a huge burn out two years ago. And I was the person who always thought, that won’t happen to me.
    Schedule those nights on the couch, enjoy it with your cats and your husband. And you’ll even be more productive and happier in the end. I promise πŸ™‚

Get well soon!
    Xx

28. Posted May 10, 2013

I, too, have been sick this week and know exactly what you’re feeling. We differ in that I’ve learned to rest during these times. It doesn’t do anyone any good if I try to push myself and then relapse. It’s hard, but learn to embrace this down time to care for yourself. You’ll be a better for it in the long run. Praying for you and that you’re feeling back to your old self very soon.

29. Posted May 10, 2013

love your kitty!

30. Posted May 10, 2013

So, I get home Saturday afternoon from 12 days in the hospital and a diagnosis of Guiallne Barre Syndrome, a rarity that hits you like a tidal wave. Only 1 in 100,000 people get it and it took me from very busy, active to literally totally immobile within 3 days. I am back to walking and am seeing my recovery (which could last years but hopefully only months) as a chance to do all of those little things that I never made time for. Relish in recovery and appreciate time—— you can’t ever get it back.

31. Posted May 10, 2013

After all, isn’t it about “the small things”

32. Posted May 11, 2013

Yup, I’d have to agree with you…being sick stinks!!!

33. MandyK says
    Posted May 11, 2013

Glad you are feeling better Kate. Thank you for what you do. You have totally inspired me in so many ways. You are a blessing πŸ™‚ Take care.

34. Christa says
    Posted May 13, 2013

I empathize (and sympathize!) It’s hard to learn to just REST when life doesn’t even slow down (let alone stop)so we can catch up. I hope you feel better very soon! I really enjoy and look forward to your blog each day!

35. Posted May 13, 2013

My church in Wilmington, NC just did a whole series on rest called “Rhythms.” It’s hard for me to slow down too, but it helps to remember that God wants us to rest before we take on the tasks that He has prepared for us to participate in. It definitely requires a lot of trust to let go of things and surrender them to God. I thought it was a great series. If you’re interested, here’s the website: http://www.portcitychurch.org/messages/series/rhythms/

36. Posted July 9, 2014

Fabulous site you have here. I’m working to build up a little site too, so if you have just one minute, it’d be perfect if you could click through here http://isee-ato.com/?m=201403

37. John says
    Posted July 10, 2014

hello im interested in stnaitrg a vynl cut business and wondered where you get you fonts from an what fonts do you use andwhere do you get you clip art from thanks