Double Knotted Twist

double knot twist
Today’s hair tutorial will teach you a quick and simple way to get your hair off your neck this summer. It’s a bit more “done” than just a ponytail, without taking too many steps!

You can absolutely do this style w/ straight, curly, or wavy hair, but I’d recommend having hair that reaches your collarbone at the very least.

All you need are a few bobby pins, these are my favorite, and some hairspray!

dress: Target
necklace: Jeweliq

1. Katie says
    Posted May 20, 2013

Love this! Super cute!

xo,
    Katie
    hellolittlebean.com

2. ajl2870 says
    Posted May 20, 2013

Love this look! For thicker hair, would you just tie additional knots? Thank you so much!

Audrey Jane

3. Posted May 20, 2013

This is so cute! I can’t wait to try it:)

4. Maura says
    Posted May 20, 2013

So classy and cute. I love how much more comfortable you seem on the videos lately. Lovely!

5. Posted May 20, 2013

Love it! I was wondering if you have suggestions for good “2nd day hair” styles. My hair is fairly fine, but I have quite a bit of it. The problem is that most of the time my 2nd day hair looks greasy without some help.

Posted May 20, 2013

Try working with some dry shampoo to absorb oil!

6. Posted May 20, 2013

Super cute! I love how “messy” it is!
    Kate, have you ever considered doing a hair tutorial styling wet hair?
    I know it’s outside your norm, but I rarely blow-dry my hair, and I always wear it up. It would be nice to get some new ideas on how to style my hair without drying it first.
    And I also have to say, I’m a total plain jane when it comes to hair, make-up, and clothes, but your blog has inspired me to step out of my comfort zone a little and do something a little different! So thanks!

• Becky says
      Posted May 20, 2013

She answered that in a video Q&A a few months ago…she doesn’t “do” wet hair…ever. She was pretty emphatic and snarky about it, too. J

Posted May 20, 2013

Sorry you got that impression Becky–it was not my intention to come off like that. I was trying to joke about it a bit.

Posted May 20, 2013

Michelle, I’ll try to think of an idea. Wet hair is harder to work with. Try looking for braided styles!

• Posted May 21, 2013

Thanks, Kate!

• Becky says
      Posted May 21, 2013

Okay, cool. I consider wet hairstyles a must throughout most of summer. Maybe it’s your hair texture, but mine is WAY easier to work with when wet, but I have a TON of medium texture hair.

Michelle, you should google “twist and pin” hair styles…I have had a lot of fun messing with them. I can’t braid on myself…it looks like my 5 year old did it. But I can twist back my own hair, so my favorite style in the summer is a french style (add hair as you go) twist back to a messy bun off to one side.

7. Posted May 20, 2013

Such a cute hairstyle! I love it!

8. Becky says
    Posted May 20, 2013

Just wondering how you would suggest to do this with thick hair?

For example, once you were done with the knots and doing the upper section, if I were to try to copy that, I would need large alligator clips instead of bobby pins!! Should I add an extra row of knots above the bottom section?

Posted May 20, 2013

Yes, try that!

9. Carina says
    Posted May 20, 2013

Love your hairstyles, wish I could get them to look half as good on my hair!

Carina xx

10. Posted May 20, 2013

My hair is just above my shoulder, rather thick, and plentiful. It’s natural texture is confused (some pieces are wavy, some are straight. One side flips under, the other flips out) Do you have any suggestions for cute hairstyles for my length?

I sometimes curl it, but if there’s any type of moisture in the air or I’m due for a cut, the curls fall out. I can pull it in a ponytail, but I look like a child.

11. Posted May 20, 2013

Love this style! Quick question– what lipstick are you wearing in the video?

• JML316 says
      Posted May 21, 2013

I was just about to post the same question!

12. Posted May 20, 2013

Always enjoy your tutorials, Kate 🙂 Thanks for taking the time to put this together.

p.s. for what it’s worth, I don’t think you ever come across as “snarky”!

Posted May 21, 2013

thank you!

13. Michele says
    Posted May 21, 2013

This is terrific! Thank you so much!

14. Posted May 21, 2013

Love this!! Now that I have short hair again this is going to be a regular!

&teri

15. Posted May 21, 2013

Love this. It looks so pretty! Will be trying this today (if time permits).

Making It Sparkle

16. Posted May 21, 2013
  17. J-Berg says
    Posted May 21, 2013

Love this! I have naturally really, really curly hair so I can’t always do your tutorials.

However, I am rocking the double knot today! I love it!

18. Posted May 21, 2013

This one is really, really cute. Thanks for sharing!

19. Posted May 21, 2013

Very cute hairstyle!

20. Meg says
    Posted May 22, 2013

Girl, I just bought that dress at Target, and I already know I will be LIVING in it this summer.

21. Posted May 22, 2013

Love all your hair tutorials. However I have darker hair with not a lot of highlights and feel some of the styles lose their “cuteness” because the hair style tends, to me, blend in.

Do you have any recommendations for this other than getting highlights?

Thanks!

22. Amy L says
    Posted May 22, 2013

Tried this yesterday. Started off with the knots in the lower section, all good. Pinned and looped the pieces from the knots, also good. Struggled on the top sections, especially the very top/middle section. I couldn’t get it to blend with the knots. It looked like its own giant loop between the two knots, not part of the overall look. Perhaps I should knot it as well?

Love all of the tutorials btw – it has changed the way I do my hair! 🙂

23. Posted May 27, 2013

Thanks for sharing this, you are good!
    Onlinethebook

24. Emily says
    Posted May 29, 2013

LOVE THIS!! I was looking for some hot and humid day alternatives to the lame ponytail and I found you.Thanks!

25. Gloria says
    Posted August 11, 2014

uao, you look beautiful. and this look is beautiful. But i have a long long LONG hair, and i can’t do it, my hair are too weight and it doesen’t stand up 🙁

26. Laura says
    Posted December 5, 2014

I am sooooo glad I found this site! Your hair tutorials are fabulous! Finally easy and gorgeous ways to put my hair up. They work wonderfully. Thank you so very much!!

27. kimberley says
    Posted July 11, 2016

I watched the video while pinning my hair up to your tutorial for a wedding this weekend. I received so many compliments, and everyone was asking if I got my hair done! So, easy and my hair stayed up all day/night! Yea! 🙂