Just Bend The Ends Hair Tutorial

bedn1
Sometimes just a soft bend in the ends is all you need to style your hair. The larger the curling iron, the softer the bend–so I chose a 2 inch barrel curling iron for this look.

I mention this in the video, but along with my usual Aquage Uplifting Foam product, I added Oscar Blandi Hair Lift Mousse to add fullness all over my hair (instead of just at the roots). I am so impressed with it. It’s the best all over volumizer I have ever used. It isn’t sticky, nor heavy. And it also helps your hair hold the shape for longer during the day. I can’t say enough great things about it, and I highly recommend it if you are in the market for a volumizer. You can find it at Ulta or search the Oscar Blandi website for stores/salons near you.

This style will settle in and loosen up as you go about your day, so even if it looks “too” curly right after you finish, plan on it softening and loosening up. *here is the link to the soft swoop tutorial for styling your bangs like I did here.
I also did a short teasing lesson near minute 09:10.

1. Posted April 22, 2013

I like this! This is actually exactly the style I need for my layered hair that is just this length. And even though the hair is synthetic (I wear a Jon Renau Julia wig because of alopecia), I’m sure the technique is the same except for that I use really low heat. I can’t wait to check this out after work.

2. Posted April 22, 2013

on e million thank you’s for teaching me how to do my bangs. praise the lawd, I finally feel like a grown woman. also, aquage is my new favorite favorite product evaaaah

• Posted April 24, 2014

Agree with Amanda Gail, You have a great site with grate articles

3. Posted April 22, 2013

I have a hot tools curling iron. Every time I try to curl my hair it doesnt turn out! When I put the curling iron on a section of hair I always end up with multiple clamp lines??? What am I doing wrong??

Posted April 22, 2013

It may be too hot, try turning the heat down a bit!

• Posted June 19, 2013

Start out with the curling iron clamp on the top of the strand of hair you are curling. When I used the clamp underneath the hair, I got lines.

4. Nana T says
    Posted April 22, 2013

Thanks for another cute, easy tutorial. (I must say I love that lip color much better than the dark reds on you. Although, your pretty no matter what!)

Posted April 22, 2013

Thanks–I’ve actually never worn dark reds so you may be thinking of someone else!

• Nana T says
      Posted April 22, 2013

No you’ve been wearing darker colors. More reds than usual. Definitely YOU!! Can’t miss that beautiful face!

5. kate says
    Posted April 22, 2013

“Is there such a thing as too much–yes. Yes there is.” You crack me up Kate!

6. Posted April 22, 2013

This is so soft and pretty, I love it. I loved the comment above about finally feeling like a grown woman, when I first found your hair tutorials, I remember thinking the same thing! Also, would this new mousse product be able to also replace the aquage as well?

Posted April 22, 2013

It does different things, but either one will be great for volume

7. Ksenia says
    Posted April 22, 2013

Thank you. I actually have to confess – your style of curling hair (I mean this special move) saved my life, ’cause I never could make these very perfect curls and now I can. Thank you again! P.S. Your hair volume is incredible!!

8. Posted April 22, 2013

I love how natural and fun it looks!
    I will definitely try this hairstyle 🙂
    xoxo
    Suzanne

9. Posted April 22, 2013

Love this look! So simple, but very pretty!

10. Posted April 22, 2013

I know you have given several teasing tutorials and explanations, however, my hair just does not tease as well. I believe I know the reason but wanted to make sure. I imagine my does does tease as well as your because it is not as colored. Is this correct? I have had my hair partially highlighted a few times but it has been a while. If I am correct, I can stop stressing. If I am wrong, I must be incompetent haha!

11. Posted April 22, 2013

You’re always beautiful, but I think this is one of your MOST flattering looks! Also, I’m in love with Revlon Just Bitten Balm/Stains. I bought my first one a few days ago and think I might have to go back to Ulta for your color here! Thanks Kate!

12. No Name says
    Posted April 22, 2013

“Is there such a thing…Yes. Yes there is.” Hands down, the BEST part of the video! 🙂 LOVE it! {Love your tutorials too, by the way!} -Michelle from italianlane.com

13. Posted April 22, 2013

Thanks for the tips Kate.. you’re the best!! : )

Kayla

14. Pru says
    Posted April 22, 2013

This was a very fun video – I loved every bit of it, but you seemed to chat more this time and it seemed more personal. Going home to dig out the curling tongs! BTW, is it hard to get your hair un-knotted after backcombing it?

15. Posted April 22, 2013

Thanks for the tips!! I love this style – and I love your color too!

x
    Nicole

16. Posted April 22, 2013

I love this! I went back and watched the blow drying tutorial. You use quite a bit of Aquage. Do you still use that much Aquage and the Oscar Blandi hair lift? My hair is fine and limp so I need a boost but if I use too much that just adds to the limp. Thanks Kate!

• Posted April 23, 2013

Aquage works great on Kate, but I think her hair is a bit more medium bodied than mine is. I’ve actually found Redken Guts to work better for my fine and limp hair. I think the Aquage is great for structure and hold, but it ends up being a bit much for my hair by the end of the day. Guts still gives me the structure/managability I need, but with a lighter touch.

17. Posted April 22, 2013

Which 2 inch curling iron do you use? I love your hair, and I can’t wait until my wedding is over so I can cut mine!!

18. Sarah says
    Posted April 22, 2013

AS always, this was awesome. You have a gift!

19. Sarah says
    Posted April 22, 2013

This is how I fix my hair almost every day!

20. Posted April 22, 2013

Kate I love all of your hair tutorials. Do you think you could do one on creating a faux bob?

21. Posted April 22, 2013

I love all of your tutorials! I also use the Oscar Blandi mousse and it’s amazing!

22. Posted April 22, 2013

You have the cutest profile! I wish I still lived in Raleigh so that I could be a client of yours 🙂

23. Posted April 22, 2013

Kate, I just saw that HauteLook is featuring Oscar Blandi products today! Just FYI, in case anyone is interested in trying the Hair Lift Mousse! 🙂

24. Heidi says
    Posted April 22, 2013

Thank you for this tutorial! The part about teasing was especially helpful to me. It helped me to see that I have been doing it wrong this whole time (holding the hair too tightly instead of letting the comb pull it out of my hand). I have never been able to get that soft full look, until today! Thanks for the first good hair day I’ve had in a long time!!!

25. Posted April 22, 2013

I love your hair tutorials! I have fine hair very similar to yours and have always just thought my hair couldn’t do style. I have tried several of your styles and now I feel like my hair always looks good! Yay! Makes a girl’s day. 🙂
    I will have to try the Oscar Blandi…not sure if they sell it in canada but I’m going to try to find it! Thanks so much! You are such a sweetheart!

26. Geeta says
    Posted April 22, 2013

Hi Kate.. Fantastic tutorial. Can you tell me how much of the Oscar Blandi Mousse you use? 1 palm full? I always feel like my hair is crunchy after I use mousse, although to be fair, I haven’t tried the Oscar Blandi version yet..

Posted April 22, 2013

Yep, roughly a little bit larger than a golfball.

• Geeta says
      Posted April 23, 2013

Thanks!!!

27. Posted April 22, 2013

So glad I stumbled upon this. I also have very fine hair and can never figure out what to do with it. Thanks for sharing!

28. Posted April 22, 2013

Fabulous tutorial, I loved watching it.
    You created such a stylish and natural looking hairstyle.
    I need to check how I can get the Oscar Blandi mousse here in Germany for a reasonable price.

Annette
    Lady of Style
    now on Facebook

29. Posted April 22, 2013

I love this style. Thanks for sharing this tutorial. Can’t wait to try it!

30. Posted April 23, 2013

This is a corny question. But how do I know whatinvh of curling irons I have? I don’t remember from way back when I bought them. I have quite a few. Please help.

31. Posted April 23, 2013

32. Posted April 23, 2013

Something about this post… you look so much like the picture of your mom!

33. Posted April 23, 2013

I cannot get your current hair cut to come up on your FAQ page, I read on the FB post that you updated it. Can you paste it in a reply here?

34. Sabrina says
    Posted April 23, 2013

Thanks for the teasing tip!! My hair is naturally curly and it has lots of volume & when I wear it straight I have tried a ga-jillion ways to get it to tease and it never does anything–but I think it’s because of what you said!! I’m going to try it tomorrow!! 🙂 I love all of your videos and your blog-I’ve been experimenting with lots of new lip and nail colors thanks to you!! 🙂

35. Maren says
    Posted April 23, 2013

Many thanks for your tutorials. I love them all but for me when I tease my hair after 2-3 hour it looks so bad and fizzi. What do I wrong with it.
    Also it’s hard to get the products here in Germany so I have to use other brands here. I know that when I’m on vacation this year I’ll buy this stuff and take it home.
    Girl you rock!!!! Can’t wait to see more

Best greetings from germany

36. Sally says
    Posted April 23, 2013

Love that hairstyle… You are so gifted in your areas of talent!

37. Posted April 23, 2013

I meant that to say what size curling irons I have. Lol. Please help! Have a Blessed day!! Your hair tutorial are awesome!!!

38. Posted April 23, 2013

So, I ran out yesterday to Ulta to buy the Oscar Blandi mouse because I was in the market for a new one, I must say that I used it today and LOVE IT!!! Lots of volume and very soft! Thanks so much for posting this. Love your style and your blog!!! Keep em coming 🙂

39. Kim says
    Posted April 23, 2013

Where did you get the shirt you are wearing in the pictures? Love the polka-dots… so cute!

Posted April 24, 2013

It’s from TJ Maxx

40. Posted April 23, 2013

I have tried unsuccessfully for *years* to get this look. This may be my new favorite tutorial! I did stick with my 1 inch iron b/c my hair doesn’t hold curl well and would fall very quickly if I’ve used a 2 in. I may try my 1 1/4 in. next time and compare 🙂

• Logan says
      Posted May 26, 2014

Did you ever figure this out? The 2 in. one is definitely HUGE and didn’t hold curl in my hair. Wondering if a 1 1/2 in. would hold it better?

41. Posted April 24, 2013

How short is your shortest layer?

42. Karen says
    Posted April 25, 2013

I know you mentioned it in at least one video, but what type of comb are you using? Thanks!!

43. Karen says
    Posted April 25, 2013

This comment has been removed by the author.

44. Jen says
    Posted April 26, 2013

Hi Kate! I’m a new follower and absolutely love your blog and tutorials! Why am I just now finding you?! 😉 I live in Texas, hello major humidity, and wondered what your fav product would be to help with that? My hair is very similar to yours (same length and texture). P.S., I was very impressed with your “about me”! We live in a culture that is so consumed with looks and it’s easy to get caught up and measure our worth compared with “the worlds”. I love seeing other women/girls who find their self worth in our Lord. Thank you for your boldness!

45. Posted April 29, 2013

Learn how to grow hair faster in http://www.the-healthiest.com/archives/294

46. Janet says
    Posted May 2, 2013

That almost looks like a 1 1/2″ rod…I just want to be sure because I went to buy one today and the 2″ looked huge! My hair is about your length, Kate.

47. Meagan says
    Posted July 1, 2013

LOLOL 4:28 killed me!

48. Meagan says
    Posted July 1, 2013

LOLOL 4:28 killed me!

49. Posted August 8, 2013

Ha… You are so great Kate! Not only do you have great advice, great style, and the fact that your blessing your audience with this knowledge, you are also humorous and entertaining. Your confidence is contagious. I pray that your audience catches that confidence and can go out feeling great about who they are and are encouraged to always present their best!
    Again, Great job Kate!

Deb Tracy

50. Posted September 24, 2013

If you could please suggest something to hold curl as my hair will NOT hold curls at all.

51. Gina S says
    Posted October 15, 2013

Do you have a product list anywhere? I would love to know what products you use because you have like no frizz, I’m jealous.

52. Posted July 7, 2014

Very interesting site! Many thanks for sharing. Hey, if you have time, then you may want to peek at my site too http://www.isee-ato.com/?page_id=2

53. Melissa says
    Posted September 3, 2014

Love this style.. I just show my hair dresser this picture and got a similar cut..

54. Melissa says
    Posted October 4, 2014

Have you used any of the other Oscar Blandi products? I love the smell of this mousse, and am wondering what other products in the line have the same scent. I have tried a couple of the shampoos and conditioners, but they do not have the same smell.

55. Stephanie Sundeen says
    Posted January 24, 2015

May be a silly question, but I’m used to just wrapping my hair around the curling iron and I just chopped my hair off to just longer than my shoulders. I can’t get the hang of feeding my hair into the curling iron like you show. Any tips??

56. Marcella Foster says
    Posted August 5, 2016

Hi Kate,
    Do you have any recommendations for a product to help hold curls. I am looking for something to spray on while my hair is wet, before I blow dry, that will help hold curls after I use a 1″ wand.

Thank you for all your fantastic video’s!
    Marcella