Just Bend The Ends Hair Tutorial

bedn1
Sometimes just a soft bend in the ends is all you need to style your hair. The larger the curling iron, the softer the bend–so I chose a 2 inch barrel curling iron for this look.

I mention this in the video, but along with my usual Aquage Uplifting Foam product, I added Oscar Blandi Hair Lift Mousse to add fullness all over my hair (instead of just at the roots). I am so impressed with it. It’s the best all over volumizer I have ever used. It isn’t sticky, nor heavy. And it also helps your hair hold the shape for longer during the day. I can’t say enough great things about it, and I highly recommend it if you are in the market for a volumizer. You can find it at Ulta or search the Oscar Blandi website for stores/salons near you.

This style will settle in and loosen up as you go about your day, so even if it looks “too” curly right after you finish, plan on it softening and loosening up. *here is the link to the soft swoop tutorial for styling your bangs like I did here.
I also did a short teasing lesson near minute 09:10.

Comments

I like this! This is actually exactly the style I need for my layered hair that is just this length. And even though the hair is synthetic (I wear a Jon Renau Julia wig because of alopecia), I’m sure the technique is the same except for that I use really low heat. I can’t wait to check this out after work.

on e million thank you’s for teaching me how to do my bangs. praise the lawd, I finally feel like a grown woman. also, aquage is my new favorite favorite product evaaaah

I have a hot tools curling iron. Every time I try to curl my hair it doesnt turn out! When I put the curling iron on a section of hair I always end up with multiple clamp lines??? What am I doing wrong??

Thanks for another cute, easy tutorial. (I must say I love that lip color much better than the dark reds on you. Although, your pretty no matter what!)

This is so soft and pretty, I love it. I loved the comment above about finally feeling like a grown woman, when I first found your hair tutorials, I remember thinking the same thing! Also, would this new mousse product be able to also replace the aquage as well?

Thank you. I actually have to confess – your style of curling hair (I mean this special move) saved my life, ’cause I never could make these very perfect curls and now I can. Thank you again! P.S. Your hair volume is incredible!!

I know you have given several teasing tutorials and explanations, however, my hair just does not tease as well. I believe I know the reason but wanted to make sure. I imagine my does does tease as well as your because it is not as colored. Is this correct? I have had my hair partially highlighted a few times but it has been a while. If I am correct, I can stop stressing. If I am wrong, I must be incompetent haha!

You’re always beautiful, but I think this is one of your MOST flattering looks! Also, I’m in love with Revlon Just Bitten Balm/Stains. I bought my first one a few days ago and think I might have to go back to Ulta for your color here! Thanks Kate!

“Is there such a thing…Yes. Yes there is.” Hands down, the BEST part of the video! :) LOVE it! {Love your tutorials too, by the way!} -Michelle from italianlane.com

This was a very fun video – I loved every bit of it, but you seemed to chat more this time and it seemed more personal. Going home to dig out the curling tongs! BTW, is it hard to get your hair un-knotted after backcombing it?

I love this! I went back and watched the blow drying tutorial. You use quite a bit of Aquage. Do you still use that much Aquage and the Oscar Blandi hair lift? My hair is fine and limp so I need a boost but if I use too much that just adds to the limp. Thanks Kate!

• says

Aquage works great on Kate, but I think her hair is a bit more medium bodied than mine is. I’ve actually found Redken Guts to work better for my fine and limp hair. I think the Aquage is great for structure and hold, but it ends up being a bit much for my hair by the end of the day. Guts still gives me the structure/managability I need, but with a lighter touch.

Kate, I just saw that HauteLook is featuring Oscar Blandi products today! Just FYI, in case anyone is interested in trying the Hair Lift Mousse! :)

Thank you for this tutorial! The part about teasing was especially helpful to me. It helped me to see that I have been doing it wrong this whole time (holding the hair too tightly instead of letting the comb pull it out of my hand). I have never been able to get that soft full look, until today! Thanks for the first good hair day I’ve had in a long time!!!

I love your hair tutorials! I have fine hair very similar to yours and have always just thought my hair couldn’t do style. I have tried several of your styles and now I feel like my hair always looks good! Yay! Makes a girl’s day. :)
    I will have to try the Oscar Blandi…not sure if they sell it in canada but I’m going to try to find it! Thanks so much! You are such a sweetheart!

Hi Kate.. Fantastic tutorial. Can you tell me how much of the Oscar Blandi Mousse you use? 1 palm full? I always feel like my hair is crunchy after I use mousse, although to be fair, I haven’t tried the Oscar Blandi version yet..

Thanks for the teasing tip!! My hair is naturally curly and it has lots of volume & when I wear it straight I have tried a ga-jillion ways to get it to tease and it never does anything–but I think it’s because of what you said!! I’m going to try it tomorrow!! :-) I love all of your videos and your blog-I’ve been experimenting with lots of new lip and nail colors thanks to you!! :-)

Many thanks for your tutorials. I love them all but for me when I tease my hair after 2-3 hour it looks so bad and fizzi. What do I wrong with it.
    Also it’s hard to get the products here in Germany so I have to use other brands here. I know that when I’m on vacation this year I’ll buy this stuff and take it home.
    Girl you rock!!!! Can’t wait to see more

Best greetings from germany

So, I ran out yesterday to Ulta to buy the Oscar Blandi mouse because I was in the market for a new one, I must say that I used it today and LOVE IT!!! Lots of volume and very soft! Thanks so much for posting this. Love your style and your blog!!! Keep em coming :)

I have tried unsuccessfully for *years* to get this look. This may be my new favorite tutorial! I did stick with my 1 inch iron b/c my hair doesn’t hold curl well and would fall very quickly if I’ve used a 2 in. I may try my 1 1/4 in. next time and compare :)

• Logan says

Did you ever figure this out? The 2 in. one is definitely HUGE and didn’t hold curl in my hair. Wondering if a 1 1/2 in. would hold it better?

Hi Kate! I’m a new follower and absolutely love your blog and tutorials! Why am I just now finding you?! ;-) I live in Texas, hello major humidity, and wondered what your fav product would be to help with that? My hair is very similar to yours (same length and texture). P.S., I was very impressed with your “about me”! We live in a culture that is so consumed with looks and it’s easy to get caught up and measure our worth compared with “the worlds”. I love seeing other women/girls who find their self worth in our Lord. Thank you for your boldness!

That almost looks like a 1 1/2″ rod…I just want to be sure because I went to buy one today and the 2″ looked huge! My hair is about your length, Kate.

Ha… You are so great Kate! Not only do you have great advice, great style, and the fact that your blessing your audience with this knowledge, you are also humorous and entertaining. Your confidence is contagious. I pray that your audience catches that confidence and can go out feeling great about who they are and are encouraged to always present their best!
    Again, Great job Kate!