a start from scratch tutorial

Today I’m sharing my “starting with a bare face” makeup tutorial.

This is my daily routine, with a few updated products! I’m more drawn to creamy products than ever (cream blush, cream eyeshadow), and have found that they apply really well and last all day.

Some new additions to my typical makeup:

1. Makeup Forever Full Cover concealer (in flesh)
2. READY eyeshadow 4.0 — great “nudes” that would work on nearly any skin tone.
3. Benefit creaseless eyeshadow in Birthday Suit
4. L’oreal Visable Lift blush in coral lift

The creaseless eyeshadow by Benefit is great. It could be a perfect opotion for a woman on the go, because you simply swipe your fingers across both eyes and you’re done. I love the texture of it, and staying power.

If you are unsure about how to apply a cream eyeshadow or cream blush, I’ll be applying both of those products in this video. You can find brushes made specifically for cream products, but I prefer my fingers.

You can find all the links and details about the rest of the makeup I’m using HERE!

*Stila product I use on my lower lash line is Smudge Crayon in Smoke.

lipstick : Albeit in Peony

Comments

Wow! I might have to try the Arbonne foundation after that tutorial! I love the coverage (I have acne prone skin). Do you think it would work well with oily skin?

Love the look of that Arbonne foundation!! Is there a reason you apply your eye makeup before the foundation? I’ve always applied the foundation first. Thanks for all of your wonderful tutorials!

• says

I do it like that just in case there is any “fall out” when I apply my eyeshadow (shadow sprinkling on my cheeks). It’s easier to wipe that away before having foundation on. I don’t run into that issue much, but I’ve just gotten in the habit of doing it this way!

This is my kind of post. Somehow I need to see the WHOLE before and after to really feel any sort of confidence in makeup application and the quality of certain products. I have a feeling I’ll be referring to this video in particular for weeks to come.
    After reading your last post about Arbonne, I’ve been in touch with a consultant and am just trying out the sample package now (to determine what shade of foundation works best with my skin). I LOVE it, and can’t wait to try some more of your recommendations (especially the Loreal Cream Blush).

• says

I’ve been loving cream products lately, too! I don’t know what it is about spring, but spring = cream blush to me. I might have to get some of that L’Oreal cream blush. The display always looks bright and pretty at the drugstore.

I definitely want to give the benefit eyeshadow a try and I know this is a little bit off topic but would you mind sharing what nail polish your wearing, I love the color!!

I have been waiting for a tutorial like this! I am not a make-up person just because I don’t really know the proper ways to apply it……but I have been looking for advice on a routine, products, etc. This is perfect :)

If only I had your skin! :) Great tutorial, as usual. When I tried using creme blush, I found that applying it seemed to rub away my foundation. How do you avoid that?

Love this! I’ve started using the Arbonne foundation since you last suggested it a few months ago, and I really like it. If only I could figure out how to use eyeliner correctly. I always think it looks dumb on me.

Yay! Great tutorial! Ill be looking to this for future use :) I’ve enjoyed reading your blog so much. My husband is deployed so its nice to read something light and fun everyday.

LOVE this post! I was hoping you would do your full makeup routine soon, as I have been referring to your old one for ages! Could you possibly do a post discussing how you feel about mineral and/or powder foundations? I have oily skin, but I also LOVE liquid foundation. The problem is that by the time I apply liquid foundation, concealer, and then set it with powder I look like I have quite a bit of makeup on and a natural, polished look like your face has here is not possible. I have tried skipping the “setting” step but with oily skin that turns out badly. Have you tried mineral foundations such as Bare Minerals or L’Oreal True Match mineral foundation? How do you feel about them?

What was the eye shadow pencil you used on your lower lash line? I use the same concealer and love it too! You are the best and I just adore your blog and helpful information:-)

great tutorial! i am interested in trying the arbonne liquid foundation,especially since i see it has spf, but i am hesitant to buy online because i’m not sure what shade i would be. what shade do you use? do you know if arbonne is sold in retail stores?

LOVE your eye makeup. Probably one of my faves on you. Question. I wear loose mineral makeup for foundation. No liquids. Would I still be able to use a cream blush? In my mind, it seems like the cream wouldn’t blend properly to the powder foundation?? Any ideas?

As a fellow girl with practically translucent skin, I laughed out loud when you said your skin color was “pasty pale”. I wish that was just a foundation color…would make it a lot easier for me to choose! Thanks for the great tutorial.

Super tutorial, Kate! Your makeup is beautiful. Do you have a tutorial on lipstick application? Do you use your fingers or a brush? Lip liner? Your lipstick always looks so great so I’m just curious on your process.

ok I just gotta say I have followed your blog since you’re stacked hair cut on pinterest popped up everywhere – NOW I feel like I can be honest with you…sister you have exceptional skin! I feel like the full coverage foundation is for people with acne or uneven skin types…you’re flawless skin really doesn’t even need it! I am from the north east so I know that “full make up” isn’t often done like it is down south but seriously the mac powder seemed liked plenty! i don’t know how old you are either but you have nary a wrinkle for days! just thought I’d share my thoughts after watching this tut…I will be getting that loreal lift blush…that was really pretty….but girl you are a wake-up-and-dust-bronzer-and-mascara-on -and-are-good-type-of-girl…seriously go with it!

• says

I agree! Kate, your makeup looks stunning and glamorous and perfect, but you totally don’t need it! You have beautiful skin and features, and I think you would look incredible in just sheer tinted moisturizer with a swipe of mascara and blush and clear lip balm. And that’s a compliment :)

• says

Thank you, seriously. I mostly enjoy the process of applying makeup–and find that I feel better with a more even skin tone from foundation. :)

This is very quickly becoming my favorite blog for posts just like this! Can I ask what type of skin you have? I’m curious about the arbonne foundation and primer but I have sensitive, combo skin that leans dry in the winter and oily in summer (I live in FL so the humidity is insane!) do you think it would work?

Day two of following your makeup tutorial to the letter (except I don’t have the exact same products) and I’m not kidding when I say that I have received FOUR legit compliments on my looks within a 24 hour period! Thanks Kate!

Hey Kate,
    Faithful follower of your blog! After watching the tutorial I went to get the concealer. Currently living in France so I went to the Make Up Forever store today in Paris. I told them I wanted this concealer for my under eyes and was told not to use the full coverage as it was not safe for close to the eyes (and is considered a “medical” concealer for scars, etc). Not sure if this information is accurate (given the combo of my French and their English) but thought I would pass it on for what it’s worth! All the best! ~Lynn

Hi Kate!! What are your thoughts on the Anthro Albeit lipstick? When they first came out, I was immediately drawn to the Peony, but have yet to purchase it. It looks so pretty on you, so now I’m really tempted to just get it. Is it drying to your lips at all?

Hi Kate – Does the eye shadow turn to a powder? I don’t like the feeling of anything damp around my eyes, but I was hoping that this cream-based shadow is actually powdery once applied. (Benefit Creaseless)

I have small eyes with very blonde lashes. Most mascara brushes are too big, causing a messy, racoon-like application! How can I apply mascara as neatly as in your video?

Just watched this now (trying to play catch up) & a few comments -
    1) You are adorable. So young. So pretty. You look perfect SANS makeup! Seriously!
    2) I was curious too about applying the foundation after the eye make up – I’d never seen anyone do that. I do see now why you do it though, makes sense :)
    3) I have never used anything above make up I can get at Target. I’ve never been able to afford it & honestly I’ve always thought regular store make up is the same as the more expensive stuff – just cheaper :) (although I did buy Merle Norman stuff for my wedding 19 years ago. I still have it. What do you think? Still good?) Anyway, I think I will have to check out the Stila stuff – especially for eye liner. Just not finding what I need at Target anymore. Ooooo & I must check out that Arbonne foundation! Thanks for the great tips, tutorials, videos, pictures – love it all!

Kate,

For all of my years of wearing makeup I have always done my face first and eyes last. Never thought of doing it your way……makes total sense and I’m ashamed I hadn’t thought of it myself. I really love the look of your foundation and concealer….I definitely need to try those out. I love Makeup Forever but have never tried any Arbonne products before and have always been curious about them. I will be looking for a local consultant after watching this video :-)

Michelle

• says

I have to say the same thing! I always did my face first and then eyes last, but your way Kate does make perfect sense. I think I have done my face first because that is what the makeup artists behind the makeup counters in the malls always do, but I see the benefit of doing the eyes first. If you get eyeshadow or mascara on your face you just wipe it off without wiping off your foundation along with it. You give great practical advice by doing the eyes first! Now I am doing my eyes first and then my face last.

Hey, did anyone know that the makeup company LORAC is the founder’s name CAROL spelled backwards? I saw it on some style show a while back so I thought I would just give you a bit of trivia. LOL! Great makeup tutorial. I love it and am looking forward to treating myself on my birthday with my new makeup products! YAY!
    Steffanie