the french twist

The French Twist Hair Tutorial- The Small Things Blog
Coming off of a glamourous night in Hollywood, nothing seemed more fitting than sharing a French Twist tutorial. It’s probably one of the most recognizable and classic hairstyles of all time.

To keep it modern, I reversed it. So, instead of working up the head, you work towards the bottom.

The beautiful clip that completed this look is from BHLDN. BHLDN is a sister store to Anthropologie, featuring stunning wedding gowns, bridesmaid dresses, wedding accessories, and of course, hair accessories.

If I were getting married again, to Justin of course, this would be exactly how I would wear my hair. Bracken clip and all.

Tools: bobby pins, a comb, hairspray, working spray. optional: head piece.

The Aquage Biomega working spray I mentioned in the video can be found here!

1. Posted February 25, 2013

LOVE LOVE LOVE this!! It’s so elegant!

thank you!

2. Posted February 25, 2013

just gorgeous! this would be a beautiful wedding look! xo

thank you!

3. Posted February 25, 2013

Such a pretty clip!xx

4. Posted February 25, 2013

I love your hair tutorials. This one is gorgeous, I’ll get practising before my next event 🙂

Also, can I ask what nail polish you have on? It’s really pretty!

Posted February 25, 2013

It’s called lovely lovely lavender by OPI

5. Posted February 25, 2013

You should post pictures from your wedding.

6. Posted February 25, 2013

Just out of curiosity, how DID you wear your hair at your wedding?

Posted February 25, 2013

Just half up, very simple!

• kmsten says
      Posted February 25, 2013

also out of curiosity…did you do you own for yur wedding? 🙂

• kmsten says

your*

yep!

7. Posted February 25, 2013

Fantastic look, I love the fancy clip you added!

Kristina

Kristina does the Internets

8. Posted February 25, 2013

Kate!! I am SO glad you did a French twist!!! I have been trying to perfect one for years and all of the videos show the long hair, very tight, starch ones!! YOU ROCK (as always) young lady!!

9. Posted February 25, 2013

I’m amazed how you do a hairstyle like this without a mirror!

10. Bethany says
    Posted February 25, 2013

It’s stunning!!! And I love the addition of the jazz. It’s a nice new touch. When I go try this myself I hope it keeps me more relaxed 😉 hair is supposed to be fun, right?

11. Unknown says
    Posted February 25, 2013

This comment has been removed by the author.

12. Posted February 25, 2013

There is no other way to describe this hairstyle and clip but beautiful! Thanks Kate for showing us another great hairstyle tutorial. Also I wanted to say I like this backdrop better than the bathroom, but the bathroom works great too.

13. Posted February 25, 2013

Just beautiful Kate! I love it with and without the accessory. Sooo elegant!

14. Liz says
    Posted February 25, 2013

Where did you do this tutorial? I think I prefer the bathroom:-) and did you really do the hairstyle with no mirror??

Posted February 25, 2013

the lighting is better in this room. 🙂

• Liz says
      Posted February 25, 2013

Ahhh More natural light. I see it now. Great tutorial and beautiful as always! Can’t wait to try the hairstyle.

PS I wouldn’t have noticed the earring, had you not mentioned it. I had to really LOOK for the problem:-)

15. Kendra says
    Posted February 25, 2013

If you had not mentioned the earring coming out, I’m not sure I would have noticed it. I love that, though! You always look so perfect; it’s nice to see a little oops 🙂 Gives me hope for myself!

16. Melanie says
    Posted February 25, 2013

Can you do a tutorial of how to do french braid?

17. Posted February 25, 2013

A modern twist on the French twist! Beautiful! 🙂

18. Noel M says
    Posted February 25, 2013

ohhh, I could have used this for Saturday! I went with the sideways french twist, which actually I loved, but my hair wasn’t lifting enough for me in the crown so it wasn’t all that I imagined. I want to thank you though, because every style you post is so approachable and although my hair type and style is different from yours I feel like I can pull almost any of them off. You make glamor feel do-able 🙂

19. Shasta says
    Posted February 25, 2013

Very cute! Wish I had long hair to be able to pull it off!

20. kate says
    Posted February 25, 2013

Kate, I have always loved your hair tutorials, but I wanted to also say, your confidence and ease on camera has increased so much–I think that is something you’ve talked about in the past (in your bloopers video post), and I just thought you should know, this video looks so polished, professional, and well edited. Such a great job!

21. Posted February 25, 2013

beautiful.

xoxo
    Mags

22. Posted February 25, 2013

I watched this tutorial with my two boys….. My 2 year old said “She’s beautiful”, then when you were half-way through teasing your hair my 4 year old said “Her hair looks funny, but she is beautiful”. They want to try this on their 10 month old sister’s hair, who is practically bald 🙂 I love your blog. Thank you for sharing all your information and entertaining me and my children 🙂 We are all BIG fans!!

23. Lexi M. says
    Posted February 25, 2013

Absolutely beautiful! I love how you walk us through the process step by step! I’ve recreated a few of your hairstyles and always get lots of complements! I do have a question though, I have curly hair and typically will curl it with a curling iron to get a nicer/smoother curl, but do you think I could do some of these styles without that step and just do it from the naturally curly state?

24. Posted February 25, 2013

Love this look! Would have been beautiful for the Oscars!!!

25. kmsten says
    Posted February 25, 2013

beautiful! the hair piece really completes it. you really did a great job making the french twist look modern and effortless! cant wait to watch the video (im at work haha)! 🙂

26. Steph C says
    Posted February 25, 2013

I love beautiful clips, but it is so hard to find quality hair pretties. Do you shop other places for hair clips/barrettes besides BHLDN?

27. Posted February 25, 2013

So glamorous! Might need to use this for my wedding. Thanks for another great tutorial!

28. Posted February 25, 2013

I must must must try that!! Beautiful! Thank you so much for the tutorial.

Annette
    Lady of Style

29. Amy says
  30. Posted February 25, 2013

I can’t get over how stunning this style is on you. I think you get the best hair for the Oscars!! Lol. You really have a gift, Kate.

Lauren
    My Polished Side Blog

31. Laura says
    Posted February 25, 2013

Gorgeous! I would love to see how to do a low bun sometime. Also, a top knot. I’m top-knot retarded…

32. Katie says
    Posted February 25, 2013

Thank you SO much for posting this tutorial…I’ve always wanted to learn how to do a french twist!

33. Posted February 25, 2013

You could walk the red carpet, so pretty !!

34. Posted February 26, 2013

Can you tell us where your earrings are from?

35. SH says
    Posted February 26, 2013

THis looks fantastic!

Happy Monday!

Sheree
    The Hartungs Blog
    thehartungs.blogspot.ca

36. Posted February 26, 2013

Simply gorgeous. I cannot find the link for the hair tutorial you mentioned in the video, though. (the one in which you flat iron your hair, then twist and pin while cooling)

37. lizzie says
    Posted February 27, 2013

Kate,

What kind of bobby pins do you use? I can never find ones that keep my hair secure. My hair is a little more fine and flat than yours, and I always have trouble styling it!

38. Ava says
    Posted March 2, 2013

I absolutely love this! It is so elegant. I cant wait to try it. I love the low lights in your hair by the way 🙂

39. Posted March 4, 2013

WOW, I love your tutorials! You’ve inspired me to actually “do” something with my hair other than the usual ordinary ponytail!! What do you call the colur of your hair? When I go to the salon to do highlights, I never come out with what I actually wanted, yours is the perfect color!

Posted March 4, 2013

check my faq page

40. Posted March 14, 2013

Thank you so much for an easy step by step explanation. I’ve always wanted to try a french twist. Now I can.

41. emmaliz says
    Posted March 16, 2013

Kate, I love this look! What’s the brand/name of the lip color you’re wearing? Thanks for all of the great tutorials!

42. Posted March 24, 2013

Hi Kate! I love your blog and am constantly inspired by it! Thanks so much for all of your great tutorials!

I am wondering if you have any advice for someone who has recently gone through postpartum hair loss, and the hair is growing back slowly but surely? I have major, major, major fly away hairs along my face, and through my head. Putting my hair up is almost impossible. Any hair products or styles that you would recommend for this mom who desperately need to get her hair out of her face?

Thanks!!

43. Posted June 9, 2013

Congratulations for your page its really cool… I just found it thou, but what I’ve seen has really helped me! I am also in a plan to buy a Security Camera I have got all the basic details for choosing it. Thanks a lot!

44. Posted June 24, 2013

Thanks for posting this. The French twist as I traditionally understood it being styled was impossible for me. This makes it look so easy. I’m considering trying this for a 2-day wedding I’m attending later this week. Thanks for all your hair tutorials, actually. I’ve been contemplating donating 10 inches of my hair for some time now and it makes me relieved to know there’s SO much I can still do with short hair.

Priya Marie – http://www.adesinewyorker.com

45. Posted July 1, 2013

Thank you for the videos and inspiration to try them all! What kind of bobby pins are you using that u don’t have to open with your teeth?

46. Unknown says
    Posted August 11, 2013

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet – but most of my girlfriends call that website (BHLDN) “beholden” (because that’s sorta what it looks like). Makes sense to me! Anyway, that way you don’t actually have to say the acronym. 🙂

This is one of my favorite tutorials ever, and I absolutely love your blog and everything you do! Thank you for sharing your gifts with us.

47. Posted December 26, 2013

This is really so fantastic and awesome hairstyles tutorial for french updo hairstyles .I have learned so amazing and awesome information from here .You may also like 1960s hairstyles

48. lexi says
    Posted February 3, 2014

What should I do if I have super long hair? Love this its so beautiful!!

49. Robyn says
    Posted June 3, 2014

I just wanted to say that I love your blog. I actually started doing more with my hair! You make it so easy!

50. elaine says
    Posted July 21, 2014

Hi, I think I’m going to style my hair like this for my wedding day! Thank you! A bit tricky for a veil though, do you have suggestions on where to place a veil attached to a comb?

51. Nancy Hunt says
    Posted August 19, 2014

I’ve got to say, your videos make me feel I can not only accomplish the hair dos, but I will look beautiful with them! Now that I have hair extensions, many of your styles are rather difficult to accomplish. Is there anyway you can make videos dealing with extension?

52. Posted August 27, 2014

Thanks for a marvelous posting! I truly enjoyed reading it, you may be a great author.I will be sure to bookmark your blog and may come back in the future. I want to encourage you to continue your great posts, have a nice morning!

53. Meghan says
    Posted December 12, 2014

I did this lovely french twist for a Christmas Party last night – thank-you for such a wonderful and easy to follow tutorial!

54. Marie Lancaster says
    Posted January 11, 2015

Fab blog, love all your ideas. I’m trying to do the French twist, but am struggling with it. I can do the first bit pushing it all to one side but it goes wrong when I try and bring the rest of the hair across, which way do you put the pins in? Thanks!

Marie

55. Lynn Vanmeerbeeck says
    Posted March 3, 2015

Your hair is so pretty. Mine is fine, but have quite a bit of it. Any tips, I’ m excited about the KMS dry shampoo!! I am looking for updo’s to go to MX, when my fine hair falls.

56. Nancy says
    Posted August 5, 2015

Love this! Hope to have it done this way for my son’s wedding. You have THE BEST hair!

57. Katie says
    Posted September 4, 2015

Hi! I love all of your tutorials, and need an updo for a wedding. (Outside wedding in September in New Orleans = 95 degrees!) I have shorter hair that hits right at my collarbone. Would this be the best style to try, or could you recommend a better one?

THANKS!

58. Posted December 9, 2015

of your tutorials, and need an updo for a wedding. (Outside wedding in September in New Orleans = 95 degrees!) I have shorter hair that hits right at my collarbone. Would this be the best style to try, or could you recommend a better one of your tutorials, and need an updo for a wedding. (Outside wedding in September in New Orleans = 95 degrees!) I have shorter hair that hits right at my collarbone. Would this be the best style to try, or could you recommend a better one?

59. Posted December 9, 2015

60. Franca says
    Posted February 27, 2017

Don’t see the video anymore 🙁

61. Amy says
    Posted March 4, 2017

Hi Kate I love this hairstyle! But can it work for longer hair?i just seem to have way too much hair leftover at the end and it’s impossible to stuff it up into the hairstyle like you suggest. Any tips?