the french twist

The French Twist Hair Tutorial- The Small Things Blog
Coming off of a glamourous night in Hollywood, nothing seemed more fitting than sharing a French Twist tutorial. It’s probably one of the most recognizable and classic hairstyles of all time.

To keep it modern, I reversed it. So, instead of working up the head, you work towards the bottom.

The beautiful clip that completed this look is from BHLDN. BHLDN is a sister store to Anthropologie, featuring stunning wedding gowns, bridesmaid dresses, wedding accessories, and of course, hair accessories.

If I were getting married again, to Justin of course, this would be exactly how I would wear my hair. Bracken clip and all.

Tools: bobby pins, a comb, hairspray, working spray. optional: head piece.

The Aquage Biomega working spray I mentioned in the video can be found here!

Comments

I love your hair tutorials. This one is gorgeous, I’ll get practising before my next event :)

Also, can I ask what nail polish you have on? It’s really pretty!

Kate!! I am SO glad you did a French twist!!! I have been trying to perfect one for years and all of the videos show the long hair, very tight, starch ones!! YOU ROCK (as always) young lady!!

It’s stunning!!! And I love the addition of the jazz. It’s a nice new touch. When I go try this myself I hope it keeps me more relaxed ;) hair is supposed to be fun, right?

If you had not mentioned the earring coming out, I’m not sure I would have noticed it. I love that, though! You always look so perfect; it’s nice to see a little oops :) Gives me hope for myself!

ohhh, I could have used this for Saturday! I went with the sideways french twist, which actually I loved, but my hair wasn’t lifting enough for me in the crown so it wasn’t all that I imagined. I want to thank you though, because every style you post is so approachable and although my hair type and style is different from yours I feel like I can pull almost any of them off. You make glamor feel do-able :)

Kate, I have always loved your hair tutorials, but I wanted to also say, your confidence and ease on camera has increased so much–I think that is something you’ve talked about in the past (in your bloopers video post), and I just thought you should know, this video looks so polished, professional, and well edited. Such a great job!

I watched this tutorial with my two boys….. My 2 year old said “She’s beautiful”, then when you were half-way through teasing your hair my 4 year old said “Her hair looks funny, but she is beautiful”. They want to try this on their 10 month old sister’s hair, who is practically bald :) I love your blog. Thank you for sharing all your information and entertaining me and my children :) We are all BIG fans!!

Absolutely beautiful! I love how you walk us through the process step by step! I’ve recreated a few of your hairstyles and always get lots of complements! I do have a question though, I have curly hair and typically will curl it with a curling iron to get a nicer/smoother curl, but do you think I could do some of these styles without that step and just do it from the naturally curly state?

beautiful! the hair piece really completes it. you really did a great job making the french twist look modern and effortless! cant wait to watch the video (im at work haha)! :)

Kate,

What kind of bobby pins do you use? I can never find ones that keep my hair secure. My hair is a little more fine and flat than yours, and I always have trouble styling it!

WOW, I love your tutorials! You’ve inspired me to actually “do” something with my hair other than the usual ordinary ponytail!! What do you call the colur of your hair? When I go to the salon to do highlights, I never come out with what I actually wanted, yours is the perfect color!

Hi Kate! I love your blog and am constantly inspired by it! Thanks so much for all of your great tutorials!

I am wondering if you have any advice for someone who has recently gone through postpartum hair loss, and the hair is growing back slowly but surely? I have major, major, major fly away hairs along my face, and through my head. Putting my hair up is almost impossible. Any hair products or styles that you would recommend for this mom who desperately need to get her hair out of her face?

Thanks!!

Congratulations for your page its really cool… I just found it thou, but what I’ve seen has really helped me! I am also in a plan to buy a Security Camera I have got all the basic details for choosing it. Thanks a lot!

Thanks for posting this. The French twist as I traditionally understood it being styled was impossible for me. This makes it look so easy. I’m considering trying this for a 2-day wedding I’m attending later this week. Thanks for all your hair tutorials, actually. I’ve been contemplating donating 10 inches of my hair for some time now and it makes me relieved to know there’s SO much I can still do with short hair.

Priya Marie – http://www.adesinewyorker.com

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet – but most of my girlfriends call that website (BHLDN) “beholden” (because that’s sorta what it looks like). Makes sense to me! Anyway, that way you don’t actually have to say the acronym. :)

This is one of my favorite tutorials ever, and I absolutely love your blog and everything you do! Thank you for sharing your gifts with us.

16. Robyn says

I just wanted to say that I love your blog. I actually started doing more with my hair! You make it so easy!

17. elaine says

Hi, I think I’m going to style my hair like this for my wedding day! Thank you! A bit tricky for a veil though, do you have suggestions on where to place a veil attached to a comb?

18. Nancy Hunt says

I’ve got to say, your videos make me feel I can not only accomplish the hair dos, but I will look beautiful with them! Now that I have hair extensions, many of your styles are rather difficult to accomplish. Is there anyway you can make videos dealing with extension?

Thanks for a marvelous posting! I truly enjoyed reading it, you may be a great author.I will be sure to bookmark your blog and may come back in the future. I want to encourage you to continue your great posts, have a nice morning!

20. Meghan says

I did this lovely french twist for a Christmas Party last night – thank-you for such a wonderful and easy to follow tutorial!