eyeliners explained and how to apply gel eyeliner

The most commonly used liner is a pencil. It’s the type that women are most familiar with, it’s the easiest to use, and the quickest to apply.

Since I’ve ventured into gel liner, I’m not sure I’ll ever go to back to wearing just pencil liner. I love the impact and deep line I’m able to get from gel. Sure, a few strokes back and forth with a kohl pencil liner (these are usually very soft and easy to apply) will give you a nice, dark line, but there’s something about the thick line of gel that gives me more impact and lasting power than pencil.

As far as pencils go, I typically use my Mac powerpoint eye pencil. I’ve also used liners from Revlon, Stila, and Covergirl, and been equally satisfied. If you are looking for eyeliner, I recommend always buying waterproof. It will last longer and not be as likely to smudge. And it’s not as challenging to remove as, say, waterproof mascara.

The only gel liner I’ve tried is the Maybelline Eye Studio Gel Eyeliner. It comes with a narrow pointed brush, but I prefer an angled brush like this one. I’m pleased with the consistancy, staying power, and color.

I don’t use liquid liner often, and I’m much more likely to “dot between my lashes” when I use it instead of drawing a bold line. Here is a tip when using liquid liner to make your lash line look thicker.

I’ve enjoyed the Revlon ColorStay liquid liner. It’s inky, the brush is small, and a little product goes a long way.

And now for a tutorial on how to use gel liner! It may seem pretty obvious, but I’ve got a trick that helps guide me when I’m applying the gel.

1. Posted January 22, 2013

Your hair looks awesome in this post. I love it.

2. Posted January 22, 2013

Hey Kate! I just got a sample of a liquid eyeliner in my January Birchbox. Could you do a liquid tutorial sometime? Thanks!

• Sarah says
      Posted January 22, 2013

I also got that and I’m not sure how its supposed to be used/look. I tried it and it looked like I drew a line with a sharpie. Too perfect of a line I guess. Not good.

• ajl2870 says
      Posted January 22, 2013

I did too! I like it, but I am still experimenting with it. Could you possibly do a post on liquid liner/tutorial for a cat eye?

-Audrey

3. Tracy E says
    Posted January 22, 2013

Love it! So what are you doing for the bottom?

4. Hailey says
    Posted January 22, 2013

I love trying new eye liners but my favorite by far is a mineral eye liner! I love the look, not to say I don’t enjoy liquid or gel for a change of pace. 🙂 Love your bangs. I have will power I won’t cut bangs until after my wedding, I won’t cut bangs until after my wedding…
    You look great
    Hailey @ Love, Laughter and Lipstick

5. Lynde says

Haircut?!

Just trimmed my bangs!

6. Posted January 22, 2013

cute hair!!

7. Deborah says
    Posted January 22, 2013

Did you get the liquid pen? That’s what I received jn my Jan BB and I love it. I have been wanting to use eyeliner again in the past several years but my post 60 eyes were making it impossible. This thing is amazing for the elderly among us.

8. JANNA says
    Posted January 22, 2013

I just bought the Mabelline gel liner last week and I absolutely LOVE it!! I was so nervous about using anything other than a pencil but I saw some Laura Geller gel eyeliner on QVC and they made it look so easy and pretty. Since the Mabelline gel liner had a much better price, I decided to try it and so glad I did! I don’t think I can do pencil anymore either. And…your hair looks AWESOME in this post!!!

9. Posted January 22, 2013

Mary Kay’s gel liner is AMAZING! I use it all the time and I highly recommend it! 🙂

• phyllis Gehrke says
      Posted June 13, 2016

Me too…. Love Mary Kay Gel LIner and also like the applicator

10. Posted January 22, 2013

Thanks so much for this! I love the look of gel eyeliner, but have never really been able to master it.

11. Emily says
    Posted January 22, 2013

Ohmygoodness. I could hug you. I am saving this post because I’m eyeliner challenged (which is an understatement).

12. Natalie says
    Posted January 22, 2013

Kate, you you ever have problems with the “chunkiness” and “clumpiness” of gel? How do you sweep away fallout without getting black streaks? I use liquid for the top but it comes in a felt-tip pen and I find it pretty easy to control. I would imagine those brush liquid liners are the tricky ones.

Posted January 22, 2013

Only from using a “used” brush. The gel is smooth, but if I dont’ clean off my brush well, it leaves me with flakes. I do my eye makeup before face makeup, so I can wipe off any smudges!

13. Posted January 22, 2013

Love your make-up in this post! What are you wearing on your lips?
    Thanks! I love your Blog!

nothing, just lip balm!

14. Posted January 22, 2013

Love this tutorial – thank you! Also – is your nail polish Chinchilly or something else?

It’s Essie’s Master Plan

15. Posted January 22, 2013

Girl, you gotta rock that cat eye more often! So fresh and classy.

16. HLane says
    Posted January 22, 2013

That is a really great tutorial. I have not even seen gel eyeliner, will have to give it a try.
    Have you ever tried a eyeliner marker instead of the liquid liner? it is the same, and they are pretty awesome – I use liquid all the time, and have just switched to the marker, and it has the exact same look, but less mistakes! 🙂

17. Posted January 22, 2013

Cute but I wanted to ask how old these pictures are or if you cut your hair? Your hair looks so much shorter and you have bangs still, which I have been jealously watching you grow out for the last year (mine won’t grow!). Not sure if you cut your hair again or if these pictures are just older ….

Posted January 22, 2013

Nope, taken yesterday. I just cut my bangs a few weeks ago.

by weeks I mean days!

18. Posted January 22, 2013

I swear by Wet ‘n Wild MegaEyes Creme Eyeliner applied with ELF’s lip brush!! http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=347792&catid=183537&cmbProdBrandFilter=82269&aid=338666&aparam=goobase_filler

19. Sarah says
    Posted January 22, 2013

Do you always only put eyeliner on half of the lid?

Posted January 22, 2013

Yeah, otherwise it makes my eye shape look strange!

• Posted January 23, 2013

I’ve always wondered where to “draw the line”… does halfway make eyes look bigger, etc.!?!?!?

• Posted January 23, 2013

20. Posted January 22, 2013

I use the gel eyeliner but didn’t know to use a pencil first. I just bought Bobbie Brown gel liner and brush and I have used Estee Lauder’s but didn’t care for it as much as I do with the BB. Thanks for sharing I’m certainly going to try it with the pencil first!

21. Posted January 22, 2013

I love the Mac gel liner in a pot. Looks pretty much the same as the product you used here.

22. Amy says
    Posted January 22, 2013

Love that you have brought back the bangs again!!!! Honestly I was kinda sad when you said you were growing them out so you’ve made my day! 😉

23. ajl2870 says
    Posted January 22, 2013

I have never tried gel liner, but I definitely will now! Also, random, but you have the prettiest eye color! (I hope that doesn’t sound stalkerish, haha!) Also, LOVE your nail polish color. What is it? Once again, thanks for a great tutorial!

-Audrey

Posted January 22, 2013

Thanks! It’s Essie’s Master Plan!

24. Posted January 22, 2013

I got this eyeliner called Eyeko in my Birchbox in December and I love it! Its very easy to use and has a nice bold color without looking dramatic! They sell it at Sephora! I think you would really like it! http://www.sephora.com/skinny-liquid-eyeliner-P310736?skuId=1429752

-Ginger

25. Posted January 22, 2013

Your hair is straight! It looks great!

The black eyeliner looks so good on you – I feel like black is so dramatic on me but it looks much more natural & casual on you. =)

26. Lauren says
    Posted January 22, 2013

Any tips on how to re-vamp gel eyeliner that has dried out or isn’t as gelly? jelly? as it should be?

27. Posted January 22, 2013

Great tutorial! Have you tried MAC’s new Pro Longwear pencils? They stay on all day without smudging, even in water! Definitely recommend…

28. Posted January 22, 2013

I’m at work so I can’t play the video. Forgive me if you touched on this during your tutorial. For beginners: line your eyes first with a pencil. Then simply paint over the line with your liquid or gel eyeliner. Makes even the most nervous nellies have a perfect liquid look every time. 🙂

29. Angie says
    Posted January 22, 2013

I don’t comment too often…but I have to say (and I’m sure I’m not the only one) that I LOVE the new frequency of tutorials and makeup/hair related posts!!!!! I ssooo love your blog and love that you share your love for The Lord.
    And I’m just loving how often I am seeing Facebook posts about new tutorials or info on hair and makeup!!

30. Posted January 22, 2013

Hi Kate! I’m just stopping by to {finally} say hi. I’ve been lurking for quite some time but I’ve just started my own blog and wanted thank you–your blog always brightens my day! 🙂 Happy Tuesday!

ash

31. SH says

Love the tutorial!

Sheree
    thehartungs.blogspot.ca

32. Mimaw says
    Posted January 22, 2013

I’m 55 and my eyelids are a bit “loose” so I neede an eyeline that wouldn’t end up on my eyebrows. After trying many, many I’ve found that Smashbox has a waterproof eyeline that is AWESOME. I eventually had a thin eyeline tatooed on the top and bottom (it’s wonderful and because the technician paid so much attention to getting color between the lashes, my lashes look so much fuller) when I need a more dramatic line the Smashbox is what I use. Don’t waste any more $$ on anything else….learn from someone who’s tried at least 25 different liners.

p.s. I love your blog

33. Posted January 22, 2013

Love your blog! I was wondering if you had any tips for bangs. I have similar bangs like yours but have the hardest time getting then to stay swooped to the side; instead they flop into my eyes and I fight with them all day. Unless I use super hold hairspray ( which makes me feel they are now a visor ) I have no luck keeping them out of my eyes. Any tips?

34. Posted January 22, 2013

I always use pencil, I never get liquid liner right…

35. Posted January 22, 2013

Kate, I’m 55 and have been using liquid liner since I was in college, the 70’s! Have tried pencil on & off, but go back to liquid (for the top) every time. More defined as you mentioned, and to me, easy, smooth, & quick to apply. 😉 For years, I’ve used Maybeline UltraLiner. Nice handle & perfect brush. LOVE your blog & tutorials!

36. Posted January 22, 2013

hi, Kate! love your blog <3 i feel like you got a new haircut. with bangs. 🙂 did i miss something??????????????????
    ~jennifer christine

• Posted January 22, 2013

ok, so i just read the previous messages and you DID cut your bangs! you go girl! i cut mine in october….i have this thing with cutting bangs in the fall and then letting them grow out by summer. but, this time ive kept them. i have grown to love them 🙂
      ~jennifer christine

37. Posted January 22, 2013

I love, love, love Bobbi Brown gel liner. I do believe she was the first to come out with it. I try others and always go back to hers. Bonus, you can get discontinued colors and overstocks at Cosmetics Outlet much cheaper.

I love her brush for it but also an angled Smashbox brush too.

The Sonia K brand at Target isn’t good. It transfers to my lid quickly.

for a chunkier line, I’m addicted to Sephora brand chubby pencil liners.

My few cents! This was fun to read.

38. kmsten says
    Posted January 22, 2013

oh i use the maybelline gel liner too! love it. i use the color “espresso” most of the time…its perfect DARK brown because not as harsh as black but its not that awkward light brown/my liner is lighter than my brown shadow that some eyeliners are. also stays on my waterline/tightline longer than any other liners ive tried. 🙂

39. Posted January 22, 2013

I love the Maybelline gel liner as well, I used to use Bobbi Brown and they’re totally comparable, except for the price!!! So I am staying with Maybelline from now on.

40. Amy says
    Posted January 22, 2013

I LOOOOOVE the Mac Powerpoint pencil and have used nothing else for 5 years now (in “Engraved” shade – a nice black). It lasts forever without fading or smudging, which is the most important aspect, and it goes on nice and smooth. It is probably my most important piece of makeup (along with my Laura Mercier secret concealer – both are crucial for looking pretty and awake!)

41. Posted January 23, 2013

The gel eyeliner looks amazing! I’ve never thought about using it before. Also, I got my first Birchbox today, thanks for introducing me! 🙂

42. Posted January 23, 2013

Totally eyeliner unrelated. I have a request. I am stuck in something of a style rut and want to update for winter/spring. Shoes are my biggest issue. Its cold, wet, icy and snowy depending on the day so I have been sporting some pretty dull shoes. I LOVED the 30 in 30 thing you did. The colors, the feel, everything was stuff I would wear. But alas, its winter. In Washington. So i would need tights, always a sweater and no open toed shoes. Can you eek out a minute to add your favorite cold weather picks for a 30 in 30 kind of post? Not that you have to WEAR it, but I could really use a winter wardrobe do-over. Plus, I have no clue what colors are ‘in’ this spring. Im still donning the same colors as last spring. Coral, orange, turquiose, eggplant. (you get the idea) Maybe just add the warm accesories to your 30 in 30 to take it to winter? Please help us poor moms who dont want to always look like one!! Thanks.

Posted January 23, 2013

I will try as hard as I can to get something together!

43. Posted January 23, 2013

Love your hair in this post!

44. Katie says
    Posted January 23, 2013

I love using gel liner. I like Clinique’s Black Honey, Bobbi Brown in caviar ink and black mauve, and sephora’s made in manhatten (deep black navy and only $12). You need to see the Clinique one in person as the online coloring does not do it justice. I have found the best brushes to be Bobbi Brown and Tarte. On another note, do you ever wear false eyelashes? Could you do a tutorial?

45. Posted January 23, 2013

I use Benefits “baby cake” cake liner with an angled lining brush. Love love love! I think I’ll give gel liner a try! Thanks Kate.

Jenna

46. Posted January 23, 2013

totally unrelated!! Did you finally take the bang plunge? LOVE your hair in this tutorial 🙂

47. Posted January 23, 2013

Hi Kate- I’m curious, when should one use eyeliner from the half way point, as you did here, or all the way across the top (or bottom) lash line? I never know which one would be best for me. I am one of those people who never know what my face shape really is either…(sigh)

48. Lisa D says
    Posted January 23, 2013

Here is a fantastically easy way to apply gel eyeliner and you don’t have to use a brush: take any pencil eyeliner you have, make sure it has a decent point and dip it into the gel and apply as you would with the brush. You get the same effect with less hassel. If you have a similar color pencil as you do gel that’s great but it doesn’t have to be the same. Try it! You will love the control you get and this method is also great for the waterline. Since most gel eyeliner tends to be waterproof it’s a great way to get that extra drama in the water line and it won’t move.

49. Posted January 24, 2013

gel for sure! I use to liquid but noooo more.

50. Posted January 24, 2013

Love your hair! I’ve been thinking about bangs, can we see a tutorial on this hairstyle! Love your blog, you’re very inspirational!

51. Posted January 24, 2013

I use Mac’s Liquid Last liquid eyeliner and I LOVE it. To soften it a bit, I add a little black eyeshadow with an eyeliner brush when it’s still damp. Dramatic staying power!

52. Posted January 26, 2013

Kate…to make an even bigger impact on your upper lash line…which is what you seem to be going for…line the upper waterline with pencil liner. If you don’t exactly get what I mean…here is a pic.. http://pad3.whstatic.com/images/c/ca/Eyeliner_3.jpg
    I know you wear contacts…so that may not be an option for you. But it really makes a HUGE difference. All my best.
    Shel

53. Posted January 26, 2013

I’ve always used Tarte’s Amazonian Clay Liner in the little pot and I love it but I think it’s finally starting to dry out. Excited to get the Maybelline gel liner since its so cheap! But buying the Tarte one was worth it just to get the awesome double ended brush! Great post!

54. Posted January 27, 2013

I love Estee Lauder’s gel liner – it is the only eyeliner I use.

55. Posted January 31, 2013

Your timing is impeccable, I have just purchased my first ever gel eyeliner and was stressing about using it. LOVE your amazing tutorial. Thank you!!!!Dashing off to do all the wonderful hints and look for an angled brush.

56. Posted March 18, 2013

Hi there
    Good explaination, I agree that gel eyeliner is very tricky to use I mostly apply eye pencil but now I purchased a gel liner for cat eye. See this http://www.styleglow.com/eyeliner-how-to-apply-eyeliner/

57. Posted April 24, 2013

Very late to comment, but I have a pressing question?! My eyeliner always “bleeds” no matter whether I use pencil or gel. Is there something I could do to keep from looking like a beaten raccoon at the end of the day?

58. Posted November 5, 2013

Your photos are so beautiful!

http://www.daenabe.blogspot.com – beauty, fashion, lifestyle

59. Posted May 6, 2014

Natural Rawhide Bone Pressed For Pet Parents, Our Rawhides Are A Great Way To Offer A Safe And Healthy Outlet For Your Dogs’ Natural Chewing Instinct –And That Can Come In Especially Handy With New Puppies Prone To Chew Everything In Sight.

60. Posted June 14, 2014

water-based cleaner to remove scuffmarks, stains, grease, dirt and other impurities while conditioning stone surfaces.
    Exxon Machinery Hammer crusher and Retracted grinding machine enjoy the efficiency higher than some other hammer crushers.
    The liquid dip will also work well for leaning any Tiffany Jewelry
    with diamonds.

61. Posted July 7, 2014

Appreciating the hard work you put into your website and detailed information you offer.
    It’s awesome to come across a blog every once in a while that isn’t the same unwanted
    rehashed material. Great read! I’ve bookmarked your site and I’m including your RSS
    feeds to my Google account.

62. Posted October 3, 2014

Terrific steam showers, my family had a unit built about 5 years ago but it could well do with replacing, would
    never buy a boring old traditional form of shower
    ever again

63. Posted November 14, 2014

Hi there! This post couldn’t be witten much better!
    Going through this article reminhds me of my previous roommate!
    He continually kept talking about this. I am going to send
    this information to him. Fairly certain he’s goking to have a good read.

Many thanks for sharing!

64. Posted January 7, 2017
  65. Posted June 9, 2017

Hey !! That’s a great information on eyeliners and pencils as it gets really difficult for a beginner to apply them .I would like to add that you should also try natural and organic eye pencils for even better look and besides these are 100% safe to use. Take a look at them Natural and Organic Eye care pencils