elizabeth olsen barely waves hair tutorial

Not long after Elizabeth Olsen came onto the hollywood scene, I began to notice her hair. She has a great sense of style, and typically wears flattering and beautiful hairstyles.

I love the “barely waves” that she’s wearing here:

If my hair was a few inches longer, I think I would be able to make it look even more like hers, but I’ve got to work with what I’ve got!

*there’s a quick blooper at the end 🙂

1 // 2 // 3 // 4

lipstick : J. Crew

I recently cut bangs in a hasty decision to do something different with my hair. I’m enjoying them!

1. Posted January 28, 2013

Lovely natural style – and looks quick to achieve too. Great bangs by the way! X

2. Posted January 28, 2013

Your new bangs look lovely!

Pretty style too!I’m waiting for a straight style that that has a bit of lift at the roots…or is that an oxymoron…LOL!

3. Posted January 28, 2013

I love the bangs and thanks for the tutorial! 🙂

4. Sarah says
    Posted January 28, 2013

I’ve been thinking about getting bangs like that. Did you only cut them on one side and leave the other long? Or are they just blended in.

5. Posted January 28, 2013

Loving this natural style and definitely love the bangs! Hope you event last night went well!!! 🙂

Lauren
    My Polished Side Blog

6. Posted January 28, 2013

I love this! Elizabeth Olsen is my hair idol! Definitely trying this for today.

7. Posted January 28, 2013

My hair isn’t as long as yours and I tried one of your tutorials – FAIL! Hee, hee, it made a really cute 1-inch long ponytail. I will just wait a couple months and try again. I am enjoying your blog. Maybe I can have longish hair. 😉

8. Posted January 28, 2013

Love the blooper…my kids did too!!! 🙂
    I’m enjoying my bangs too…definitely changes up the ‘hairstyle’. Thanks for the hairspiration!!!

9. Posted January 28, 2013

Your hair is beautiful. You always look perfect!
    ~FringeGirl

10. Posted January 28, 2013

Kate, I can only make my hair be straight, straight or curly, curly (until the curls settle days in to not washing and that’s my favorite). I’m so excited to try this!

11. Posted January 28, 2013

Thanks for the tutorial! I’m definitely going to try this out this week! Hope your event last night was a {HUGE} success!

On a random note, would you be willing to tell me the name of the font you use on a lot of your pictures? It’s so pretty and I haven’t found anything quite like it! xoxo

Molly from littlebittyprettylife.blogspot.com

12. Alissa says
    Posted January 28, 2013

I Love those curls! She always has the best hair!

13. Posted January 28, 2013

this is great! thank you!!

14. Posted January 28, 2013

So pretty your bangs are darling and LOVE the lip color on you!!

15. Posted January 28, 2013

LOVE the bangs! They look really nice on you!

16. Kristen says
    Posted January 28, 2013

Thank you for this! I think this is something I can do! yay!

17. Posted January 28, 2013

Great tutorial – I often do this style, but I use my flat iron to curl my hair.

Lemon Sugar Creative

18. Geeta says
    Posted January 28, 2013

First of all, thanks for all your great tutorials! Secondly, I have a quick question regarding the dry shampoo: I’ve heard a lot of brands leave a white residue, and I have very dark brown hair so you can see the problem. Do you have any recommendations on brands which will not leave the white residue?

Posted January 28, 2013

The KMS Makeover Spray does not leave a white residue!

• Geeta says
      Posted February 1, 2013

Thank you so much!

19. Posted January 28, 2013

your hair always looks great — and this is no exception! xo

20. Posted January 28, 2013

Congrats! I just saw that you were featured on “theglitterguide.com” for favorite hair tutorial sites!!! 🙂

21. Posted January 28, 2013

Love how quick & relaxed this is!

Also laughing at the blooper at the end haha “omg he’s blasting it”

22. SH says
    Posted January 28, 2013

Love the hair and the pop of color on your lips.

Sheree
    thehartungs.blogspot.ca

23. R2P2 says
    Posted January 28, 2013

Can I just say I’m thrilled to see this is becoming a style??!? This is (kind of) what my hair normally does. I would always feel frustrated & so unstylish because I can never get it to hold a really consistent soft curl. I can get it straight with a nice flatiron but my hair is so THICK it just takes longer than I usually budget for in the mornings. 😉 If this is going to becoming a hot new style, I will live it up while it lasts!! haha Thank you, Elizabeth Olsen!

24. - says
    Posted January 28, 2013

You look absolutely STUNNING!! You’ve always been beautiful, but I don’t know if it’s the new haircut or the fact that you look super duper ultra amazing in WHITE but you’re gorgeous!!!

Posted January 29, 2013

you’re so kind, thank you!

25. Amy says
    Posted January 28, 2013

gorgeous, and I love that color lipstick on you Kate!

26. Posted January 28, 2013

SO DOING THIS! Love it!!!

27. Posted January 28, 2013

loving your blog….its now my guilty pleasure to check new hairstyles all the time. I like the bangs too. I just cut mine on Saturday but not quite that short…I might go for your look, its super cute. Totally enjoyed the blooper….that would so be my reaction. Blessings to you!
    Lori

28. Posted January 28, 2013

Kate,

I just recently added you to my Facebook and I found you on Pinterest a few weeks ago. I just want to thank you for all of your Tutorials! They are very helpful! You have even inspired me to cut my own bangs (which I have never done before). Ha! I was scared but they turned out pretty decent! 🙂 I was just wondering what the Color of your Lip Stick is that you are wearing in the “Barely Waves” tutorial. It is very stunning, I love the color! Thanks again for all of your tips and I am looking forward to more of your upcoming tutorials.

Posted January 29, 2013

you can find that info right beneath the last photo on the post! Thanks!

29. Posted January 29, 2013

This comment has been removed by the author.

30. Posted January 29, 2013

Don’t think I didn’t notice the bangs!! 🙂 I am always having bang issues…but thank you for the wonderful tutorials that have helped me to manage them. I get a lot of compliments on my “up-do’s” thanks to you!
    Here’s an odd question…I use a lot of hairspray(Bed Head, Big Sexy Hair, etc.) and find that it coats every square inch of my bathroom – vanity, floor, walls, toilet – any tips for cleaning those surfaces, or am I the only one with this problem?!

31. Sam M says
    Posted January 29, 2013

Your hair tutorials are so helpful! Thanks so much!

32. Posted January 29, 2013

This comment has been removed by the author.

33. Posted January 29, 2013

I love your blog and tutorials. Thank you so much for taking the time to record, edit, post and share them. I have really learning so much.
    I do have a question? For thick hair, longer hair, would you still recommend using a 1 inch curling iron to achieve these curls? I had never thought of turning the temp down. But whenever I use a 1 inch my hair gets extra thick and their is too many curls. I had also never thought of running a straight iron through it? God Bless!

34. Jules says
    Posted January 30, 2013

love this! question though: I have crazy thick hair that is probably 4-5 inches longer than yours. am I better off doing narrower but deeper sections, or wider but thinner sections, and do the under-layer separately? (if that makes sense…)

35. Posted January 30, 2013

I love all of your hair tutorials! I am currently growing out a pixie. Any suggestions for this awkward Beiber phase?

36. Unknown says
    Posted January 30, 2013

By far my FAVORITE tutorial to date! I have long hair, a little more than mid way down my back and while I love love love everything you do on here, it’s not always easy to adapt (read make it look as good/easy as you make it look) with my long out of control locks. Not only does this style look/work great with my hair, it only took about TEN minutes to style! AWESOME! Thanks you Kate for letting me sleep for 15 more minutes in the morning

37. Posted February 4, 2013

You somehow make short/medium hair look so amazing and easy to work with! Btw that lipstick looks gorgeous on you!

Footprints in the CIty

38. Posted February 19, 2013

I love your hairstyling advice! I’m looking at growing my hair out to its natural color, so I was looking at either having a professional attempt to dye the length of my hair to a similar natural color (medium to dark ash/sandy blonde). Unfortunately, I’ve been keeping it an auburn color, and my hair absorbed only the pure red, none of the coppery/gold tones, so I fear that the hairdresser will end up giving me an erroneous tone. Do you have any suggestions for gracefully growing out dyed hair? I’m willing to cut it as short as yours was in your Bouncy Curled Under tutorial. Thank you!

Best,
    Getting Ready to Graduate College

39. Posted March 26, 2013

Can you do this same look with a 1 1/4″ curling iron if you hair is the same length as yours?

40. Posted April 22, 2013

I’ve taken that exact picture of Elizabeth Olsen’s hair to various hair salons and no one has been able to give me the jagged edges she has in the picture…so frustrating! I read an article that her hairstylist “takes 3 inch sections of her hair, giving each a single twist, and then uses thinning shears on the bottom 2-3 inches”. Even with that description, none of the hair stylist seem to know what to do. Any advice on how else to tell hair stylists how to achieve the actual hair cut? Thanks!

41. RLB says
    Posted May 18, 2013

I am in love with Julianne Houghs hair right now. I recently cut my hair to a just above the shoulders bob like hers. I mostly wear it straight because everytime I curl it it looks too “overly curled”. Would this tutorial be useful on my length of hair or do you have any tips on how I can get similar loose waves with my shorter hair?

42. Posted April 17, 2014

This innovative engineering units have elected the item possible to test buying glasses online and select the the one which accommodates see your face the most beneficial.