three things

It was raining last night. A steady consistent fall, that left my wipers operating at the perfect speed.

Just when I needed the windshield to be wiped, they swiped. As if they knew. Smarties.

But it got me thinking. I do all my thinking in the car. Keeps me from texting–although now that Siri is around she gets used like a can of hairspray <—see what I did there.

Anyway. . .

One of the luxuries of my job behind the chair is getting to talk with my clients. Not chit-chat about the weather or the Kardashians, but real talk. All of my clients are regulars, and have been coming to me anywhere from 1-5 years.

I know them. Some of them I knew very deeply. Which I love.

And one thing that is overwhelmingly consistent among a lot of the people in my life, from clients to friends to new friends at church and so on, is the similarities we share. We may struggle with different things, or celebrate different things, but there is a level of sameness among us.

That never really registered until I allowed myself to open up more. The more I opened up, the more I saw these similarities in my friends. Notice I’m not using the word “identical”. We’re all different, but we’ve walked down similar roads, maybe at the same time, or maybe not.

And we’ve found things that bring us peace and contentment. And joy!

I tend to be pretty introspective. I blame it partially on my philosophy degree, partially on my sensitive nature, and partially ( I hope ) on a willingness to better myself. To improve the parts that I want to improve. Like organization. And my sense of humor. I kid. (obviously don’t need improvement there)

Do you focus too much on things you want to change about yourself, that you miss the good things?

Do you think about the things you like about yourself? Not in a narsissistic or vain way, but in a “I like that part of my personality” way. Do you like that you are funny? Thoughtful? Emotional? Calm? Spontaneous?

Can you think of three things you like about yourself? Not accomplishments or achievements, but deep personality type of things.

Mine are listed in the photo above.

Maybe it’s the end of the year (or the WORLD!!!! kidding.) that’s got me thinking about this. I’m not a resolution kind of girl, but I do like to reflect, and try to grow from experiences.

So, if you are willing, share those three things in the comments below. And remember those in the times you are struggling.

And as you enter into 2013 soon, and set goals or make resolutions, don’t forget your great parts.

1. Posted December 21, 2012

Thanks Kate. This is something I needed this morning. Merry Christmas!

2. Katie G says

Kind, Open-minded, Sensitive…almost identical to yours! ๐Ÿ™‚

open-minded is a good one! ๐Ÿ™‚

3. Posted December 21, 2012

great post this morning! xo

4. Posted December 21, 2012

Calm, easy going, kind. Thanks for the great post this morning. It made me think about the things I like about myself as we often think too much about the things that we want to change.

agreed. ๐Ÿ™‚

5. maria says
    Posted December 21, 2012

I like how I have grown into becoming more mature as a person after I got married, how my faith grew in God and how I have become a good cook :).

Posted December 21, 2012

all three are great things–I’ve experienced those too!

6. Posted December 21, 2012

I would have to say Sensitive (although I get told I am too sensitive), caring and thoughtful.

Posted December 21, 2012

I get called “too” sensitive too!

7. tmack says
    Posted December 21, 2012

Great post! Thanks… I’ve been focusing on what I need to do better lately. Which isn’t bad, but its great to highlight what I’m doing right and love about ME too!
    Do you know of any hair stylist just like you in Houston,TX?

8. Katie says
    Posted December 21, 2012

I asked my son what he thought my three traits are.. He stated “you play with me, we snuggle and we love each other.” ๐Ÿ™‚ I would have to say mine would be: sensitive, caring, and courteous

9. Lauren says
    Posted December 21, 2012

I loved reading this post. It is sometimes difficult to focus on all the good things about myself, so it’s nice to take a moment and call them out.
    Sensitive, compassionate, positive. ๐Ÿ™‚

Posted December 21, 2012

positive is an attribute my husband has–love that about him.

• Rebecca says
      Posted December 21, 2012

Mine too Kate! I even posted it on my FB status this morning. Mine had to do a funeral graveside service…it was so cold and windy and even snowing a little (not very common here in East TN)…I commented that I felt bad he had to be out in the “elements” on a day like today…his response was that he was glad he was able to wear his winter coat that doesn’t get much use. Oh my! I strive to be more positive — it is just not my nature. (I call myself a “realist” but that often brings about the negative side more than the positive!)

10. Paige says

Passionate, loyal, caring

11. Jamie F says
    Posted December 21, 2012

Faithful, humble(or am i, now that I said I am:)) and patient.
    Thanks for making me think alittle about these things this morning!
    Jamie

Posted December 21, 2012

haha, I have the “humble” struggle as well. Can you call your own self humble? ๐Ÿ™‚

12. Posted December 21, 2012

Patient
    Joyful
    Hopeful

hopeful is a good one!

13. lori says

Great post

14. lori says
    Posted December 21, 2012

My comment went through before I was ready…

Great post, Kate! I think it’s so important for us to always remember what we like about ourselves… Id have to say thoughtful, kind and funny.

Merry christmas!

15. Posted December 21, 2012

What an inspirational post. I think it’s a great time to reflect. I know I am very hard on myself, so it’s a great exercise to practice on a regular basis.

I’d have to say I’m courageous, compassionate and sensitive.

Posted December 21, 2012

courageous is a great one!

16. Mrs.HVK says

Caring
    Funny

17. Heather says
    Posted December 21, 2012

It’s difficult to narrow down the list to just 3 (thanks, thoughtful brain!), but I think the legacy I’d like to leave is that I was loving, loyal, and a good friend.

Also , I’ve found that a lot of people view sensitivity as a negative character trait, but I think it equips us to respond better to the needs of others! You should check out The Highly Sensitive Person by Elaine Aron ๐Ÿ˜‰

18. Posted December 21, 2012

I try to be good to everyone, even when they are not so great to me. I aspire to be compassionate, even when I feel down. I hope to treat everyone with respect, even when they are unkind to me.

19. Posted December 21, 2012

I’m empathetic, creative, & loyal. I completely agree with Daisy Tails — it’s nice to think about the good inside of ourselves instead of areas needing improvement (particularly on the outside).

Great post, Kate!

20. Alix says
    Posted December 21, 2012

I needed this little reminder today thanks! I would say compassionate, sensitive, and caring. Merry Christmas!
    1love2always.blogspot.com

21. Stacey says

Love this post. You write with the perfect blend of sincerity & humor ๐Ÿ™‚
    Three things I like about myself are that I am funny, grounded, and loyal.

22. Posted December 21, 2012

That was fun to read what other people “are”. I would say giving, creative, and faithful. I love seeing these traits in my parents and relatives (“oh, that’s where I got it from”), but also knowing God put His own twist on things to make me me!

23. Crystal says
    Posted December 21, 2012

Great post Kate! I think the 3 that come to mind for myself are giving, funny and honest. Funny you do your best thinking in the car, I think mine is done in the shower.

24. Posted December 21, 2012

Those are three really great traits to have!

25. Posted December 21, 2012

compassionate.
    genuine.
    silly.

thanks for the reminder to love yourself first.

xo – heather

26. Posted December 21, 2012

I struggle a lot with feeling “good enough”. So, thank you for putting it in perspective this morning. Here goes: put others before myself, kind, understanding, humorous, determined. God Bless you Kate. Merry Christmas!!!<3

27. Posted December 21, 2012

Honest, loyal, and caring.

I too struggle with the humble….. I think I am, but then I am afraid that saying it makes me proud….

I am fairly new to your blog and I love it! Thanks!

28. Micha says
    Posted December 21, 2012

I love this post. I tend to think like this quite frequently and it’s always helpful for my mental clarity. Perhaps our brains work somewhat similarly. Three things I like about myself are my optimism, creativity, and compassion.

29. Posted December 21, 2012

Light-hearted, discerning, thoughtful

30. Posted December 21, 2012

Opinionated, Organized, Outgoing.

31. Eva says
    Posted December 21, 2012

compassionate, passionate, creative. Thanks for this post Kate! I loved it. Merry Christmas

32. Posted December 21, 2012

This isinteresting-the words I think of that describe myself are, superficially, not nice words-type a, passionate (ok that’s ok, but I wanted to first say aggressive, but it stems from passion) and stubborn. But all those somewhat negative qualities are really what make me who I am. I will fight for something I believe in, and being anal helps me run a great household….I guess it’s all how you look at it

33. Posted December 21, 2012

Positive, easy-going and a great sense of humor. Laughter can heal all.

34. Posted December 21, 2012

Thanks, Kate. I tend to focus on the negatives way too much. Generous, loyal, and flexible.
    Merry Christmas!!

35. Posted December 21, 2012

Empathetic,goofy,animal lover

36. Posted December 21, 2012

Thanks for posting a personal post. It’s so awesome to get to know each other in the blogging world. And I’d have to say my three are: friendly, creative (which should be the 4th to yours) and empathetic.

37. Posted December 21, 2012

loyal, honest, trustworthy

38. Posted December 21, 2012

generous, compassionate, positive

39. Posted December 21, 2012

considerate, optimistic, funny (in a dorky/goofy/cheesy way which I embrace). Merry xmas to you and yours!

40. Posted December 21, 2012

hopeful, positive and open-minded. My hubster picked those as my 3, I’m so flattered that by his choices. I married a good fella! : )

41. Posted December 21, 2012

patient, selfless, and giving. three things i strive for daily ๐Ÿ™‚

42. Jessica says
    Posted December 21, 2012

Passionate about being a mommy, creative , kind hearted. I love this post. Thankyou for being so personal. It made me sit back and think. I am new to your blog. and it has become my favorite. Thank you so much for all you do and share.

43. Posted December 21, 2012

Loyal, dependable, witty.

44. Unknown says
    Posted December 21, 2012

positive, hopeful, open-minded, highly supportive, passionate, frugal, driven, kind, forgiving.

haven’t done a list like that in some time, thank you!

45. Sarah says
    Posted December 21, 2012

Thanks for the great post. I’d have to say I’m intuitive, faith-full (as in full of faith, not faithful. Not that I’m not faithful…you get it, right?), and reflective.

46. Posted December 21, 2012

Passionate, sensitive ans open minded

47. Posted December 21, 2012

compassionate, honest, achiever

48. Posted December 22, 2012

honest, caring, easily entertained. ๐Ÿ™‚

49. Amanda says
    Posted December 22, 2012

merciful, compassionate, & forgiving.

50. Laura says
    Posted December 22, 2012

Sometimes God puts things in our face when we need to see them the most. Today, I needed this, thank you for this post. Kind, generous, and open-minded

51. Posted December 22, 2012

Going through a hard patch right now, and so thankful for this post….it was just what I needed. Happy Holidays ๐Ÿ™‚

52. Posted December 22, 2012

motivator, optimistic, dreamer

53. Kathy says
    Posted December 23, 2012

This is such a hard one for me. I had to think a long time. It is a good reminder to have self-acceptance. I am empathetic, passionate, and blunt.

54. Posted December 25, 2012

Enthusiastic, vulnerable,compassionate.

55. Posted December 25, 2012

Enthusiastic, vulnerable,compassionate.

56. juliana says
    Posted December 28, 2012

attentive, spontaneous, thoughtful

57. BrookeS says
    Posted December 29, 2012

Thank you for the refreshing words this morning. Just what I needed to hear during this time of year’s resolution craze.

And for myself, I would say
    aware
    fair
    sincere

58. SH says
    Posted January 3, 2013

Inspiring post!
    thehartungs.blogspot.ca

59. Emily says
    Posted November 7, 2015

I wanted to see what your old posts were like and I was really surprised and pleased to find out you have a philosophy degree. That is super cool!