Real Simple + The Small Things Blog

I was sitting in my car in a parking lot when I had the call.

With Real Simple.

To talk about collaborating on some simply holiday hairstyle tutorials made especially for realsimple.com.

It was one of the most exciting phone calls of my life. I love, love, Real Simple. It’s the only magazine that arrives in my mailbox and causes all other activities to stop so I can look through it.

So when they asked if I was interested, I sort of laughed silently to myself.

Interested?

Yes. More like “coolest opportunity of a lifetime”.

I’ve created 3 holiday hair tutorials so you are completely set for any event this season. You have your choice of half up, all up with a braid, and loosely up with a twist. What I love about these styles is that you can start with nearly any texture (straight, curly, wavy) and get a pretty similar effect. So, if you have an event on a friday night after work, you don’t need to start over with your hair. Simply build from whatever style you were wearing that day.

Bobby pins will be your friend. And hairspray. But strategic placement of hidden clear elastics and separating the hair into workable sections will help you succeed with any of these styles.

Each style has a photo step by step AND a video. (find links to videos at the bottom of this post) Click here to see the styles!

Let me know what you think! Which one is your favorite?

1. Lauren says
    Posted December 11, 2012

What an awesome opportunity! Can’t wait to check these out on Real Simple. Congratulations, Kate! πŸ™‚

Fizz and Frosting

thanks!!

2. Rebecca says
    Posted December 11, 2012

Kate, that is so awesome!! I bet that phone call was surreal, haha. I’ve been a fan of Real Simple since they came out. Congratulations!!!

thank you! Me too!

3. Louise says
    Posted December 11, 2012

I love it congratulations, looking forward to watching the videos later x

thanks!

4. Posted December 11, 2012

Congrats! What an exciting opportunity! πŸ™‚

thanks!!

5. Pamela says
    Posted December 11, 2012

Ohhh, how wonderful!! Congratulations!

6. Posted December 11, 2012

WOW! So amazing! Proud of you, bird! πŸ™‚

7. Posted December 11, 2012

Congratulations! That’s so cool! Real Simple is my favorite magazine too! My favorite is the side updo with a twist. πŸ™‚ I just donated my hair to locks of love, so I will have to let my hair grow out a bit before I can try it! Congrats again.

8. Liz P says
    Posted December 11, 2012

Congratulations! That is an awesome opportunity.

I wish I had long hair so I could do some of your styles, but I tried growing it out and it was a miserable experience. I’m much happier with my chin-length bob, but I have hair envy every time I read one of your blog posts, haha.

9. Posted December 11, 2012

Congratulations, Kate! Real Simple is my favorite magazine too. The holiday hairstyles are stunning and I can’t wait to try them out!

10. Posted December 11, 2012

Congratulations!! What an absolutely exciting opportunity and so fitting for your talent. Your hair tutorials always show how to simply create something beautiful, a match made in magazine heaven! Happy for you!

11. Katie says
    Posted December 11, 2012

How terrific, Kate! Relish that well-deserved moment! Real Simple is the BEST.

12. Sally says
    Posted December 11, 2012

Congratulations! I’m excited for you… and for me to take time to watch those tutorials and try to do something with my hair!

13. Steph C says
    Posted December 11, 2012

How awesome for you! Congrats!

14. Amy says
    Posted December 11, 2012

wow Kate, this is an AMAZING opp! Congrats!

15. k8te says
    Posted December 11, 2012

what an amazing opportunity! real simple is my fave magazine too! congrats!

16. Posted December 11, 2012

So excited for you!! Love your hairstyle tutorials and love your blog. I look toward to reading it every morning! πŸ™‚

17. Posted December 11, 2012

Upon discovering your blog about 8 months ago I added it to my list of sites that google opens whenever I start Chrome – I’ve been dropping in for a daily dose of inspiration every since. Has been so fun to follow along. Congrats on this amazing opportunity!

18. Posted December 11, 2012

Congrats!!! I think I might try out the two “twist” options this winter! πŸ™‚

19. Posted December 11, 2012

How incredible!! Congrats, girl. I know even greater things are in store for you! πŸ™‚

Lynette @ lynette marie

20. Posted December 11, 2012

that is AWESOME – good for you!!
    can’t wait to try them out – esp love the half-up twist!!

xo – heather

21. Posted December 11, 2012

That’s such an awesome opportunity! Congratulations and a job well done on some seriously WONDERFUL hair tutorials. I worked with Real Simple last year and their team was such a delight. I’ve never had so much fun in my life.

22. Yvonne says
    Posted December 11, 2012

That’s awesome! Real Simple is one of the best magazines out there! Congratulations to you! I just found your blog through Pinterest a couple weeks ago and I’ve been using your hairstyles ever since.

23. SH says
    Posted December 11, 2012

Congrats!! I have a few events coming up – I’ll have to take a look!
    thehartungs.blogspot.ca

24. Kendra says
    Posted December 11, 2012

Congratulations! What a fabulous opportunity for you (and us, as we get to try these styles out!)

25. Posted December 11, 2012

Congratulations Kate! I love your hair tutorials and now many, many more folks can too. πŸ™‚

26. Maura says
    Posted December 11, 2012

Congrats! So exciting and well deserved!

27. Ky says
    Posted December 11, 2012

Congrats, Kate! That’s awesome.

28. Posted December 11, 2012

Congrats! What a cool opportunity, Real Simple is one of my favorite magazines! Thanks for all the great hair tutorials πŸ™‚

29. Posted December 11, 2012

YAY!!! so exciting, kate! congrats!

30. Posted December 11, 2012

Love all 3 of them but have a soft spot for anything braided!

31. Posted December 11, 2012

Congratulations! I love Real Simple as well. That’s really exciting!

32. Posted December 11, 2012

Congrats. What a great combo! love real simple mag πŸ™‚

33. Missy says
    Posted December 11, 2012

REAL exciting – congratulations!

34. Posted December 11, 2012

AMAZING!! I <3 Real Simple.

35. Mai Pai says
    Posted December 11, 2012

Love the tutorials! Thank you.

36. Posted December 11, 2012

Kate this is so exciting for you! I am a huge fan of your blog and check it more than daily (is that considered blog stalking??)

37. Posted December 11, 2012

WOW!! Congrats!!! Real Simple is also one of my favorite magazines…it’s a huge honor that they contacted you! I’m sure the New Year will have many more opportunities for you πŸ™‚

38. Posted December 11, 2012

Congratulations!! For me too, Real Simple is the only magazine I get in the mail, and yes, my husband knows to leave me be when I get that treat! :o) Your blog is awesome and your hair tutorials are awesome and now it’s awesome meets awesome, Real Simple and your blog! Praises!

39. Posted December 11, 2012

Oh wow, how a,axing! Your hair tutorials are great!!! I LOVE real simple, love these hairdos!!!
    Priscila – mysimplecutestyle.wordpress.com

40. Posted December 11, 2012

Kate! Congrats! That is so awesome! I personally like the half up twist and the side updo with a twist. I have a couple parties to go to this holiday season and you just made it easier for me to figure out how I’m going to do my hair! Thanks!

41. Unknown says
    Posted December 11, 2012

I don’t even know you, but just wanted to say Congratulations! To be featured in magazine–wow, that says a lot! You deserve it. I always look forward to opening your emails to see what you have to share. You are talented and beautiful inside and out. Merry Christmas!

42. Posted December 11, 2012

Congratulations!

43. Posted December 11, 2012

That is awesome and so deserved!

44. Posted December 11, 2012

Yea, yea, yea!!!

45. Posted December 11, 2012

Congratulations! What an awesome opportunity! I can’t wait to get my issue of Real Simple with your tutorials!! πŸ™‚

46. Rebecca says
    Posted December 11, 2012

Ah! This is so great! I subscribe to your blog and I read Real Simple, love them both!

47. Sara says
    Posted December 11, 2012

How fantastically awesome, love RS and the STB!

48. Posted December 11, 2012

How awesome! Congratulations πŸ™‚

49. Posted December 12, 2012

That is so exciting! I have really learned a lot from you, so I shared the Real Simple sight on my Facebook. I can’t wait to try a new hair style!

50. jerri says
    Posted December 12, 2012

Yay You…. How fantastic!! Real Simple is absolutely my favorite magazine.

51. Posted December 12, 2012

Congratulations! Real Simple is one of my favorite magazines. And it’s so hard to find new things to do with your hair for special occasions. I will definitely be trying a few of these ideas.

52. Posted December 12, 2012

That is so exciting… congratulations! I am a huge fan of this magazine as well, it is always full of wonderful tips and ideas. Now it is full with even better tips this time πŸ™‚ Take time to enjoy this moments and realize your accomplishments!
    Lori from http://shoehunting.blogspot.com/

53. Altax says
    Posted December 12, 2012

Awesome!!! Looks great.

Kids Games

54. Posted December 12, 2012

Congratulations Kate! I have been reading your blog for over a year now. I really do look forward to reading it everyday. Congrats on an amazing honor, and a very well deserved one at that πŸ™‚

55. Posted December 12, 2012

I adore Real Simple magazine and their website!! Oh I love the half up twist at the bottom! Congrats on being featured!!! What an honor! =)

Ergo – Blog

56. Megan says
    Posted December 17, 2012

Hi Kate! I just wanted to congratulate you on the Real Simple gig! I adore the magazine and can’t be happier for you. What a huge deal! All of the styles are lovely and I’ll definitely be trying them out this holiday. Congrats again!

57. Posted September 10, 2014

I loved as much as you will receive carried out right here.

The sketch is attractive, your authored material stylish.
    nonetheless, you command get got an nervousness over that you wish be delivering the following.
    unwell unquestionably come more formerly again since exactly the same nearly very often inside case you shield this hike.