Prepster

sweater // J.Crew Factory
polka dot shirt // J.Crew Factory
jeans //  Loft
boots // Target
necklace // Francesca’s (similar)

It’s as if I forgot how much I loved the look of a collared shirt under a sweater. I wore this ensemble a few weeks ago to a Madewell event and now I’m looking for every opportunity to wear it again.

These boots? Most comfortable shoes I’ve ever owned. I wear them constantly. They are a great mix of “riding boot” without being too country western . . . because I just can’t get on board with wearing cowboy boots around town.

I blame my northern/city girl roots. Or that fact that I don’t currently reside in Texas.

1. Sarah says

Love it! That polka-dot shirt looks so cute like that! Love the color combo! 🙂

2. Anonymous says
    Posted November 20, 2012

Well. Aren’t you the cute one! Btw-the bangs are looking great!

3. Posted November 20, 2012

ah, the supreme value of a good pair of boots 🙂 super cute as usual!

4. Jill says
    Posted November 20, 2012

I think what I learned from this post is that I need to go to JCrew factory soon 🙂 Super cute outfit!!!

5. Jill says
    Posted November 20, 2012

Also – what size did you get in this sweater? Sizing can be so tricky w/JC.

Posted November 20, 2012

It’s a small. But check their return policy–I think it’s pretty good!

• Jill says

Thanks! 🙂

6. Anonymous says
    Posted November 20, 2012

very cute! and lol you’re in no danger of being “country western” with those boots; they are designed on the English riding style.

7. Posted November 20, 2012

love the colors! how cute.
    and what great boots – and from target!!

i’m going to try out the collared shirt under sweater look 🙂

xo – heather

8. Heather says
    Posted November 20, 2012

I love the layered look! So cute.

9. Amy says
    Posted November 20, 2012

Kate that color of orange looks fabulous on you! You always find the best stuff at the outlets!

10. LRW says
    Posted November 20, 2012

you always look like a million bucks girl! hair,makeup,clothes..you’ve just got it all 🙂
    and that smile..such a ray of sunshine

11. Posted November 20, 2012

Orange is a fun look!

12. Lindsey says
    Posted November 20, 2012

Love this outfit! I just got the same pair of boots from Target last week! You and your sister should do a collection of ‘holiday outfit’ ideas! I’m struggling with what to wear this holiday season and you and your sister always look so fabulous and put together! I’d love to see what you guys could come up with! 🙂

13. Anonymous says
    Posted November 20, 2012

Girl I love those boots. You need to go for the cowgirl boots though! Your in the south its a total wardrobe essential! Plus they are very comfortable once you break them in:)

14. Posted November 20, 2012

Love this look!! Gorgeous as always!!

15. Posted November 20, 2012

So pretty 🙂

16. Anonymous says
    Posted November 20, 2012

Oh how I wish Target shipped to Canada, (just did random google search for Canadian retailer selling those boots, not dice)! Lovely outfit.

17. Abby says
    Posted November 20, 2012

I’m glad I’m not the only one who can’t do the cowboy boot thing…and I’m from Alabama!

18. Posted November 20, 2012

I love how you paired the necklace with the J.Crew sweater! You have such great style. This gives me inspiration for the perfect Autumn outfit.

GlamByKelsey.blogspot.com

19. Posted November 20, 2012

LOVE this look!! SO perfect!

xo Emily

20. Trisha T says
    Posted November 20, 2012

Love your blog. I have been a follower for almost a year. I think I’m just going to go to every store that you buy things from and get the exact outfits, then I’ll know that I’ll look super cute. haha. Thank you so much for your inspiration with your hair, makeup and wardrobe, especially for people like me who have no fashion sense 🙂

21. christy says
    Posted November 20, 2012

I have picked up those boots at my local Target too many times to count! The price is right too. I may have to go back now. 🙂 Cute outfit.

22. Posted November 20, 2012

LOVE this outfit, kate!! one of my favorites!

23. Posted November 20, 2012
  24. Posted November 20, 2012

Hey. Don’t knock the cowboy boots! I live in California and I love mine! I tend to mostly wear them when riding horses but there is definitely a time and place for my boots outside the barn. 🙂

But I am loving the sweater and polka dots. You are seriously killing my closet right now. I feel the need to copy all of your awesomeness.

25. Posted November 20, 2012

I was planning on going boot shopping today when I read this post. I went to Target and tried these (and all their other brown boots) on and you are totally right! These are so comfortable. I’m a big fan of being barefoot as often as possible so I have little patience for wearing boots that constrain my feet too much. And bonus! I can wear these while being on my feet all day teaching.

Oh and bonus #2 – Target mobile has a coupon for these making them just $30 for the next couple of days. 🙂

26. Jalona says
    Posted November 20, 2012

I loved the collared/cuffed shirt under sweater look too…I just have lots of problems getting the collared shirt all smoothed out underneath the sweater 🙁 Do you find certain fabrics work better for this layered look, or maybe wearing a tight-fitting button-up with looser sweater? Any tips??

Posted November 20, 2012

Definitely a tighter button up shirt is better than a looser fitting one!

• Jalona says

Thanks – I will give it a try! After a shopping trip of course 🙂

27. Anonymous says
    Posted November 20, 2012

North Carolina in very Southern, thank you very much, Kate. Cowboy boots are just as awesome as riding boots.

28. Anonymous says
    Posted November 20, 2012

putting your hand on your hip in every picture doesnt make you look any thinner. just like your hair tutorials dont make your hair look any different.

• LRW says
      Posted November 20, 2012

and you must be blind because I don’t see her hand on her hip in any of these pictures..jealous much?

Posted November 21, 2012

Yes, I’m confused…
      Also, this is not a blog about my weight–not trying to “look thin”. Just sharing my outfits.

29. Posted November 20, 2012

What? Those boots are from Target? Shut up! I feel like I’m exclaiming in the way one of the Mean Girls would, but I’m super sincere about it I swear. They are so cute.

Kristina

Kristina does the Internets

30. Posted November 20, 2012

Love it! I have the polka dot button up from J Crew also and you are inspiring me to pull it out of the ole’ closet

xo

LindsayJEveryday.blogspot.com

31. Jane says
    Posted November 20, 2012

Maybe you should find s different blog to read since its obvious you don’t care for this one.

32. Anonymous says
    Posted November 21, 2012

You look so cute! I was wondering where you got the sweater/polka dot shirt from when I saw the Madewell post. Thanks for sharing!

33. Posted November 21, 2012

I have a pair of super comfy boots from a few seasons ago at Target that are starting to get holes in them… I’m devastated, but these look like they could be a great replacement pair!

34. Posted November 21, 2012

Wow a pair of comfy pair from Target?! How awesome! I am afraid to buy boot from there since they are not leather.

Alice

35. Anonymous says
    Posted November 21, 2012

Love the boots and just bought them last night. My boot cut jeans seem bunchy in the boots. Do you have to wear skinny jeans with boots like these??

36. Shelley says
    Posted November 21, 2012

Dear Anonymous – I don’t believe Kate has ever tried to claim herself as “thin” although I believe she is only around a size 6 (which is a real number) or small in most clothing styles.

Here’s to better days!

37. Anonymous says
    Posted November 22, 2012

Love your outfit posts and hair tutorials!!!!! I might have to try those boots!!!!!

38. Robyn says
    Posted November 22, 2012

ohmygoodness I’ve wanted those boots! They were on sale when i stopped in today, and I had two coupons, so I got them! Eeep so excited!!! Love your outfit, so adorable 🙂

39. SH says
    Posted November 22, 2012

I love the outfit! Definitely inspiration for the upcoming weekend!
    thehartungs.blogspot.ca

40. Posted November 22, 2012

I wish I could get myself to look good everyday!! I’m jealous!!

41. Lauren says
    Posted November 22, 2012

LURVE

42. ajl2870 says
    Posted November 23, 2012

As an Auburn University student, I absolutely ADORE combinations of orange and navy! So cute!

43. Eva says
    Posted November 24, 2012

Kate: I have never purchased anything from JCrew Factory…wondering about their sizes. I am usually a medium but on the petite side. How do their clothes run? true to size? bigger or smaller? and also, the polka dot shirt is it tailored or without darts? and the sweater? you said it was small, is that the size you usually wear. I am sorry for all the questions but I am trying to do some research before I jump in and buy items from their website. Thanks so much for your posts. I look forward to reading them each day!!!

44. Jacob says
    Posted December 28, 2012

I thought I would leave my first comment. I don’t know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog, I will keep visiting this blog very often.

best wrinkle eye cream