DIY Chalkboard Mugs

When I  first stumbled across this idea here, I immediately got on Amazon and ordered the chalkboard paint. I loved these mugs and wanted to make some for myself right away.

This project couldn’t be simpler, as long as you have the right tools. Really, all you need is tape, mugs (I tried it on a glass mug as well as a porcelain one), a paint brush and the right kind of chalkboard paint.

It’s a simple Christmas craft to make with your family and friends.

Keep in mind, the mugs need to “dry” for 24 hours before baking them, so it isn’t a make & take sort of thing.

Click here to buy the paint. You may also find it a Dick Blick.

FYI: Each mug required two coats of paint

*follow the directions on your chalkboard paint, but these should be microwave and dishwasher safe. I’ve microwaved both mugs, but I’ve only hand washed them at this point.

If you are making these as a gift, fill each mug with a few pieces of chalk and your favorite treat to enjoy with coffee or hot chocolate.

If you are making them for yourself, make sure you write yourself a note each day on the mug. Because, why not?

Comments

1. Kristin says

I was looking for something for the nieces and nephews as they stay with me this Holiday season. This is PERFECT! No matter what cup they get, they can say it’s their’s by writing their name on it. No fighting! I’m going to give them with Xmas PJs and a Xmas movie. Perfect Christmas Eve night gift!!

• says

I didn’t read through all of the comments so not sure if it was said yet. But it looks like JoAnn’s has chalkboard paint, so I would assume Micheals as well. That way, for all your Christmas present do-ers who may be making several of them, you can use the 40%-50% off coupons for even more savings!!

So it really does work! I’ve seen this on Pinterest but I was too scared to try it on my own in case I managed to screw it up lol! I might have to try this now :)

3. Janna says

I love these!! Thanks so much for a cute and inexpensive gift idea! Please do more DIY posts!!! One question…where can I find chalkboard paint?! :)

I love this idea!! I’ve been trying to decide what to do for Christmas for a few people and I think this would be perfect. Do you know about how many regular size mugs you can do with one bottle of paint?

LOVE this idea! I always struggle with what to get my cousins (task became mine after my mom moved away) & this is perfect! I think I’ll fill with Starbucks Via (instant coffee) & a gift card!

These are great! My mother-in-law got us some mugs that were chalkboard-ready for my (now) husband and I’s engagement party and had people sign it. That would be a great idea for a party gift or for a shower/birthday. Thanks for sharing!

I know this is totally random, but where did you get your awesome paint brush rack in thats in the background of some of your pics? I love it and love this idea, chalk board paint is huge part of my gift giving this year. I may have to try this too!

9. Anonymous says

What if you have chalboard paint but like spray paint do we still have to bake it and then can we wash it and re-use the mug?