DIY Chalkboard Mugs

When I  first stumbled across this idea here, I immediately got on Amazon and ordered the chalkboard paint. I loved these mugs and wanted to make some for myself right away.

This project couldn’t be simpler, as long as you have the right tools. Really, all you need is tape, mugs (I tried it on a glass mug as well as a porcelain one), a paint brush and the right kind of chalkboard paint.

It’s a simple Christmas craft to make with your family and friends.

Keep in mind, the mugs need to “dry” for 24 hours before baking them, so it isn’t a make & take sort of thing.

Click here to buy the paint. You may also find it a Dick Blick.

FYI: Each mug required two coats of paint

*follow the directions on your chalkboard paint, but these should be microwave and dishwasher safe. I’ve microwaved both mugs, but I’ve only hand washed them at this point.

If you are making these as a gift, fill each mug with a few pieces of chalk and your favorite treat to enjoy with coffee or hot chocolate.

If you are making them for yourself, make sure you write yourself a note each day on the mug. Because, why not?

1. Kristin says
    Posted November 14, 2012

I was looking for something for the nieces and nephews as they stay with me this Holiday season. This is PERFECT! No matter what cup they get, they can say it’s their’s by writing their name on it. No fighting! I’m going to give them with Xmas PJs and a Xmas movie. Perfect Christmas Eve night gift!!

• Posted November 14, 2012

I didn’t read through all of the comments so not sure if it was said yet. But it looks like JoAnn’s has chalkboard paint, so I would assume Micheals as well. That way, for all your Christmas present do-ers who may be making several of them, you can use the 40%-50% off coupons for even more savings!!

2. Sam says
    Posted November 14, 2012

Awesome! Doing these for sure.

3. Amy says

Love this idea!!!!

4. Jill says
    Posted November 14, 2012

Probably a really stupid question. Do we bake the mug after letting the paint dry for 24 hours?

• Posted November 14, 2012

Bake after…
      The paint is tack free in a few minutes, and fully dry after a minimum of 24-hours; once fully dry, it may be baked for 35 minutes in a domestic oven at 150-degree c (300-degree f) for an enameled finish and dishwasher resistance

Thanks Ade!

5. Posted November 14, 2012

adorable gift idea!

xo – heather

6. Shannon says
    Posted November 14, 2012

So it really does work! I’ve seen this on Pinterest but I was too scared to try it on my own in case I managed to screw it up lol! I might have to try this now πŸ™‚

7. Jessica Jo says
    Posted November 14, 2012

How long did you let the first coat of paint dry before applying the second coat?

about 10 minutes, but it depends on how heavy your first layer of paint is

8. Posted November 14, 2012

This is cute..I have done lots of chalkboard things, but not a mug ( I need to try this!)

9. Lesley says

These are great! πŸ™‚

10. Posted November 14, 2012

Love these. So making some for Christmas. Thanks for the idea!

11. Posted November 14, 2012

This is such a cute idea! Perfect for sweet gifts!

Chelsea
    Haute Child in the City

12. Alissa says
    Posted November 14, 2012

I am so doing this for Christmas presents this year!

13. Janna says
    Posted November 14, 2012

I love these!! Thanks so much for a cute and inexpensive gift idea! Please do more DIY posts!!! One question…where can I find chalkboard paint?! πŸ™‚

• Janna says
      Posted November 14, 2012

Nevermind…I just re-read and saw you bought it on Amazon! πŸ™‚

14. Posted November 14, 2012

So cute! I can see this would be addictive!

15. Melissa says
    Posted November 14, 2012

These are sooo adorable! Thanks for the fun craft!

16. Posted November 14, 2012

What a cute idea! I have had some plain white mugs for awhile looking for ideas on what to do with them – this is great!

17. susanna says
    Posted November 14, 2012

This looks really cool! I’m wondering how many cups can you do with that much paint?

18. Posted November 14, 2012

I love this idea!! I’ve been trying to decide what to do for Christmas for a few people and I think this would be perfect. Do you know about how many regular size mugs you can do with one bottle of paint?

19. Posted November 14, 2012

LOVE this idea! I always struggle with what to get my cousins (task became mine after my mom moved away) & this is perfect! I think I’ll fill with Starbucks Via (instant coffee) & a gift card!

20. Posted November 14, 2012

Such a cute idea, I basically love any project that involves chalkboard paint.

Kristina

Kristina does the Internets

21. 2busy says
    Posted November 14, 2012

Cute and easy idea! Love it!

22. Sandra says
    Posted November 14, 2012

These are great! My mother-in-law got us some mugs that were chalkboard-ready for my (now) husband and I’s engagement party and had people sign it. That would be a great idea for a party gift or for a shower/birthday. Thanks for sharing!

23. Posted November 14, 2012

My brain literally exploded when I saw this post! This is a fantastic idea and seems so simple. I might pull this trick out when doing all of my friends’ christmas gifts. Thank you for sharing!

24. Posted November 14, 2012

I love chalkboard paint. Someday I want to have a chalkboard wall in my kitchen! The whole wall!!

25. ....... says
    Posted November 14, 2012

omg! this is so awesome love the idea for a gift and love it even more for my own home. will be partaking in this project as soon as the paint arrives! thanks!! xx. gigi. food and beauty blogger @ http://www.gigikkitchen.blogspot.com

26. Andrea says
    Posted November 14, 2012

these are adorable, and such a good idea!

27. Posted November 14, 2012

How many mugs does that one little thing of paint make?

28. Posted November 14, 2012

This is a great idea. I can think of a few good uses for that chalkboard paint!

29. Posted November 14, 2012

30. Miss E says
    Posted November 14, 2012

I know this is totally random, but where did you get your awesome paint brush rack in thats in the background of some of your pics? I love it and love this idea, chalk board paint is huge part of my gift giving this year. I may have to try this too!

Target!

31. Julie says

I LOVE this idea! Thank you so much for a fabulous DIY Christmas idea! πŸ™‚

32. Posted November 14, 2012

This might have just decided my Christmas “friend” gifts.

33. b-look says

Great idea! πŸ˜‰

34. Posted November 14, 2012

Very cute idea! πŸ™‚

35. Posted November 14, 2012

What a great idea Kate!

36. Posted November 14, 2012

Love this idea. So simple and cute!

37. Posted November 14, 2012

GREAT teacher gift ideas!!! I can’t WAIT to make these!!!!

38. Gigi says
    Posted November 14, 2012

OMIGOSH! I am TOTALLY doing this! After I “pin” it, of course! So cute.

39. Posted November 15, 2012

Love it. Question? Did that 45 milimeter bottle provide enough paint for both those mugs? Just wondering how many bottles I would need for about 6 mugs. Thanks!

40. Posted November 15, 2012

I love this idea! Definitely putting it on my list of potential Christmas gifts.

41. Posted November 15, 2012

Great idea! We take it for the christmas gifts!

42. Posted November 15, 2012

Ooh I think I know something I need to include in my teacher SIL’s Christmas present this year!! Great idea!!

43. Posted November 15, 2012

Very cute !! I’ll try this πŸ™‚

44. Jen W says
    Posted November 15, 2012

Oh my goodness, what an amazing idea! I’d love to try this

45. Posted November 15, 2012

What a lovely idea! Thank you for sharing! πŸ™‚

xo Ella

46. Anonymous says
    Posted November 18, 2012

What if you have chalboard paint but like spray paint do we still have to bake it and then can we wash it and re-use the mug?

• Anonymous says
      Posted November 18, 2012

* chalboard my bad sorry

• Anonymous says
      Posted November 18, 2012

Chalkboard ** ^

47. Court says
    Posted November 27, 2012

Totally making this as a gift for Christmas! Awesome idea!

48. Casey says
    Posted December 6, 2012

I loved this post so much that I included it my biweekly series, Lots of Link Love! I hope you’ll come take a look, find some other fabulous posts from fabulous bloggers, and share with your readers!

49. Abi Uy says
    Posted October 9, 2013

Will this work with valspar wall chalkboard paint too?

50. Posted January 28, 2014

Could you use other mugs besides porcelain?

51. Posted January 28, 2014

Could you use other mugs besides porcelain?

52. Posted January 28, 2014

Could you use other mugs besides porcelain?

53. Posted January 28, 2014

Could you use other mugs besides porcelain?

54. Posted January 28, 2014

Could you use other mugs besides porcelain?

55. Posted March 22, 2014

I definitely respect and am grateful for your point on every single object.
    bubblegum casting

56. Posted March 22, 2014

I definitely respect and am grateful for your point on every single object.
    bubblegum casting

57. Posted April 19, 2014

The stuff written in the blogs have allured me!!! bubblegum casting reviews

58. Posted September 1, 2014

For latest information you have to go to see world-wide-web and on web I
    found this web page as a finest web page for hottest
    updates.

59. Pat says
    Posted November 7, 2015

Love your chalkboard mugs how many cups can you do with that small bottle
    And also are they micoweable with the paint on them
    Have ya ever did plates or bowls please email me
    Just discovered your dsiye also congratulations on your baby that is coming