Twisty Ponytail

With the heat these days, I find myself pulling my hair back in a ponytail more often than not. But sometimes I want it to look a little bit more styled than just pulling it back.
I tried this technique the other day, and it worked perfectly. It’s a little bit more interesting than just a ponytail, but keeps the hair off my neck!

Products/Tools:
Clear Elastics
Bobby Pins (professional quality) (shop at Sally Beauty Supply for quality pins)

Shirt: Target
Necklace: LightYear
Earrings: Francesca’s

1. nicki says

Cuuuuute!

2. Ashton says
    Posted July 24, 2012

Adorable!!!!! Love the color of your shirt. It is very flattering on you.

3. Amy says
    Posted July 24, 2012

Great and simple style! I hate wearing my hair down in the heat!

4. Alissa says
    Posted July 24, 2012

I’m going to see if I can get this to look good with my curly hair!!

5. Karen says
    Posted July 24, 2012

Love the polished look of this pony! Thanks, Kate.

6. Posted July 24, 2012

I was desperate for some sort of updo that wasn’t just a boring ponytail (day old hair, bangs starting to look a little funky) and then you posted this right as I was trying to figure something out! My hair looks super cute today, thanks!

7. Posted July 24, 2012

Super cuteness! I am a pony tail girl in the summer and that just makes it so much better πŸ™‚

8. Jessica says
    Posted July 24, 2012

Very cute hair style for this heat! I live in VA and it has been SO humid here!

I really love that necklace too!

9. Anonymous says
    Posted July 24, 2012

Love it!! I have never been able to do it on my hair, I twist my daughter’s all the time! Now I know how to do it to myself!! Thanks for the great updo! It’s been sooooo unGodly hot, I can’t stand to have my hair on my neck….

Karna P.

10. Posted July 24, 2012

I wear ponytails almost 90% of the time so I can’t wait to try this tutorial out πŸ™‚

Maria
    Dainty and Decadent

11. Posted July 24, 2012

what a great look – perfect for these ridiculous hot days!!

12. Posted July 24, 2012

My issue is with clear elastics. I can’t get them to stretch, and because I have A LOT of hair, they never work for me.

Cute pony!

13. Christine says
    Posted July 24, 2012

Kate, do you shower and curl your hair every morning or do you sometimes do these styles on second day hair. Your tutorials always look like you start with curled hair but I was not sure if that was fresh hair or day old. Thanks. Love this style.

14. Christine (again) says
    Posted July 24, 2012

Oh just had a crazy thought, could you combine this with the knot ponytail? I always love the way it looks like the ponytail is held with a knot. You could take the two sides that are twisted and do the little knot on top and then pin under…

15. Anonymous says

luv πŸ™‚

16. HLane says
    Posted July 24, 2012

I love this. It is a really cute ponytail that doesn’t have a lot of fuss, but looks fancier. πŸ™‚ Very cute.

17. Tiffany says
    Posted July 24, 2012

cute! I’m going to try this right now : )

18. Kristen says
    Posted July 24, 2012

Very cute! I was going to style my hair like that today after seeing your post but I burnt my neck pretty bad curling my hair! Of all days! And I actually haven’t burnt myself in awhile! Thank for posting! Love that color on you too πŸ™‚

19. Ruth says
    Posted July 24, 2012

This is such a cute hairstyle!! Have you heard of the waterfall braid? Well, I’ve been trying to do it but it never works :/ Your tutorials are always so helpful so I was wondering if you could do a tutorial on that if you know how to do it.

20. Posted July 24, 2012

SO cute! πŸ™‚ And I adore your earrings and necklace!

21. Posted July 24, 2012

So cute.. I love it! I have been wearing my hair back lately too with this heat. Yesterday was a side braid, today is a top knot! I will have to try this next!!

22. Samantha says
    Posted July 24, 2012

Kate, I went to ulta to buy the redline product, and the stylist in their salon said redlin discontinued this product! πŸ™ is there something similar?

Posted July 25, 2012

It isn’t discontinued. Click on the link above for more info about the product

23. Samantha says

*redkin

24. ....... says
    Posted July 24, 2012

love the look! so chic and cute. I keep getting such awesome inspiration from your hair posts. I never used to care now I see that it’s easy. thanks! gigi. food and beauty blogger @www.gigikkitchen.blogspot.com

25. Mrs C says
    Posted July 24, 2012

LOVELY! IT LOOKS EASY BUT ON STRAIGHT HAIR LIKE MINE, I’M NOT TOO SURE THOUGH. BUT IT WOULD BE NICE TO LEARN TO DO A SIMPLE TWIST/UP-DO FOR THAT SPECIAL OCCASION.

COME AND VISIT MY BLOG WHEN YOU CAN FIND TIME, I’D BE HONORED πŸ™‚
    A SMALL BLOG WITH A BIG HEART!
    MRS JACK OF ALL TRADES where Fashion and Food collide!

26. Posted July 24, 2012

Love! Your ideas are always super cute! One question I have (and I’m so sorry if you’ve answered it before) is what is the exact brand and type of bobby pins you buy? Every kind I try from Sally’s don’t seem to hold my hair!

27. Ashton says
    Posted July 24, 2012

I do the half flip ALL THE TIME, and I think this will be my new alternative πŸ™‚ Thanks!!

Have you ever thought about doing a tutorial at your salon? I’d love to see it πŸ™‚

28. Tiffany says
    Posted July 25, 2012

I just love you to pieces! You have changed my world! πŸ™‚ Thank you.

29. Posted July 25, 2012

So cute and classy! I’ll have to try this tomorrow, it definitely has more character than a regular ponytail.

30. Posted July 25, 2012

I love this! I am going to attempt this but with my fine flimsy hair ..not style ever looks good.

Alice

31. Anonymous says
    Posted July 25, 2012

Looks great! Love your videos and hair ideas! So creative and pretty!

32. Anonymous says
    Posted July 25, 2012

Love ur blog!! U should be very proud.

33. Posted July 26, 2012

I started doing something similar to this style this summer. But I have never twisted the hair before adding it to the twist. I think I need to give that a try next time. I always get lots of compliments when i do this style and everyone thinks it is more complicated than it is. Thanks for all the great ideas!

34. Posted August 13, 2012

hi! this is kathy from hong kong. i love the hair that yov teach, it is great!

35. Admin says
    Posted August 14, 2012

i like cars infect i like car racing i want to say that these type of cars are the best and the best cars around the world.these are rarely known cars in some countries like pakistan an india and other under developing countries.i like it really i like it very much.i want to spend my whole life to this field because this is fantastic and super cool job i like it. Hyundai Azera Power Steering Rack

36. Posted August 23, 2012

My favorite! Thanks for your great tutorials!!

37. Posted April 22, 2014

nice hair style and shirt is also good