The Dept. of MakeUNDER Visionaries.

I finally had the pleasure of visiting my local DMV yesterday.

During my drive, I thought to myself, “Okay, this is going to take several hours. Prepare yourself. Begin your calming exercises now. Think about nothing. Turn off the brain.”

I have to gear up to have my time wasted. Not in a “I’m too important” kind of way, but simply in a “there is 1,000,000,000 things I’d rather be doing than going to the DMV” kind of way.

But, nonetheless, there comes a time in everyones life where a small part of them needs to die at the DMV, and that time was yesterday.

Let’s start at the beginning.

I had a hair appointment yesterday afternoon to get my hair colored. On those days, I tend to let my hair air dry after applying a leave-in conditioner to give it a break and really let the leave-in conditioner work well.

I drove home with wet hair, and it was nearly dry by time I arrived. I threw it back in a ponytail, and did some things around the house.

Then I remembered that I haven’t updated my address yet on my drivers license (even though we moved months ago) so I planned on heading to the DMV.

I thought, “Surely I won’t have to have my photo retaken because this is something that can be done online”.

I know that you are thinking. Why didn’t you just do it online, Kate? Well, I lost the pin that I used 3 years ago and I couldn’t find a way to request a new one. Plus I thought, “What’s the harm in going to the DMV real quick?” Delirious, I know.

So, I check my face in the mirror. I’m wearing a few swipes of mascara, some under-eye concealer and made a honest attempt to cover up blemishes but was quite unsuccessful. (I tried a new BB cream that made me break out–the worst!) My hair was flat, in a ponytail and I was wearing my “Monday Clothes”. (Mondays are my days off when I clean the house, do laundry, etc.).

I was a sight to behold.

So I head to the DMV. I prepare myself as mentioned above.

I was greeted by a bright and shiny personality at the desk. I’m serious, she was happy. I was floored.

I take my number and wait. I have 3 people ahead of me. This will take. . .oh, I don’t know. . .about 6-7 hours I figure.

30 minutes later, my number is called.

I walk back and am greeted with another joyful soul and I’m shocked once again.

dared to think to myself “Well geez! This is going to smoothly! I’ll be out of here lickety-split!”

I hand her my license.

Old drivers license photo. Hair=large.

We go through the changing of my address, the woman helping me tells me I look better blonde, and then she says ,”Okay, smiley time!!!”

I said, “WHAT!? I have to get another picture?”

“Yep, head on over to the camera!”

My blood ran cold.

Okay, not really. But I did realize that this whole event was too good to be true. Of COURSE you would have to have your picture taken Kate! This is the worst you have ever looked! And that’s the goal of the DMV!

Laughing to myself, I sit and wait for smiley time. The bright and shiny personality comes to take my picture, says she likes me better blonde, and clicks away.

I smile, mostly because I’m laughing at how ridiculous my photo is going to look, and tell the woman “Thanks!”.

I have to wait 15 days before I can lay my eyes on the beauty that will be the worst drivers license photo in history.

But hey, at least I look better as a blonde.

Comments

hahaha oh Kate, I would show you my driver’s license pic but I don’t want you thinking I’m a troll.. Seriously, it’s BAD.

I bet your picture will turn out to pleasantly surprise you just like the overall experience : )

CarissaExplainsItAll

• Anonymous says

its really bad now that you cannot smile and you have to look at the blue dot that you know is not where the lense is sooo you really are not even looking at the camera!! you also have to make sure both your eyebrows can be seen…i had to move my side bangs 3 times to get a pic that showed my eyebrows! How silly is all these rules!?!

• says

I recently got married and happily went to the DMV (called the DDS here in GA) to get the license with my new name. Very little waiting, but no bright, shiny personalities either. I had to get my photo taken too (boo), and that’s where the horrors began.

I blinked no fewer than FIVE times, which really irritated the DDS lady. Then, she finally got one that showed my eyeballs (red dots and all, I’m sure) when she said, “Oh, we have to retake that because your forehead doesn’t show!” Really, she didn’t notice the FULL BANGS that come to/below my brows (my hair dresser and I abhor eyebrow clearance) the first FIVE times???? And,btw, what is this obsession with foreheads/eyebrows now…have we had a rash of crimes committed by white women with tattooed foreheads? Do they thing that losers are now considerate enough to tattoo big L’s on their foreheads?

So, she told me I’d have to push my bangs to the side. They’re long enough to cover my eyebrows but not to hook behind my ears, and I didn’t have a headband. I spent five minutes “swooping” my bangs over to the side, but they wouldn’t stay. She was getting really aggravated. Finally we got to a point where it was apparently sufficient, so she took the photo, and–miracle of miracles–I didn’t blink again.

And then it came up on her screen and she started making faces. I asked her what the problem was, and she said “I don’t like that little piece of hair right THERE,” which referred to a section of my bangs that was sticking straight up because of all the abuse they’d received at her direction. But, I ask you (since you know she was looking at me the whole time) WHY DIDN’T SHE TELL ME THAT BEFORE SHE TOOK THE PHOTO??????

And you know that I mentally run through this whole scenario in my head EVERY SINGLE TIME I HAVE TO PRESENT MY DRIVER’S LICENSE.

I saw your new photo today, and I promise you, you look fabulous. Not just because you always do, but also relatively speaking. Believe me when I say it could be so much worse. :-)

2. Christie says

We just moved to MN. I have to go Friday to the dreaded DMV, dragging 2 little girls. They have to behave while I take a written test, I am 43, I know how to drive etc. I guess they don’t believe me.

That’s hilarious… Though I would totally trade my half-way decent drivers license picture for a half-hour DMV wait! That qualifies as miraculous!

And I’m sure you looked great :)

Kate,

My guess is it will be the best driver’s license picture ever. It will prove that less is more. Besides you are so beautiful I can’t imagine you taking a bad photo! I hope you’ll keep us posted! :) PS I have to renew mine in October, I hope my experience is as pleasant as yours!

5. Ms Joy says

I’m sure it will be fine! I too dread the DMV. Quick question: what BB cream did you have a bad experience with? I too have been thinking my Garnier BB Cream is to blame for my sudden bad skin but haven’t had any proof of anyone else having the same issue.

Love your blog, found you through Pinterest and now you’re on my Favorites bar! :)

• Stephanie says

Garnier’s BB Cream made me break out terribly too – especially in places where I NEVER break out!

Oh NOOOO – so sorry you had to have your picture retaken! That happened to me once but luckily they only put the new glorious picture on my ID card and not my license (SCORE!!!). Now I know to always go with full hair and stage makeup a la Broadway just in case a photo op presents itself. At least it was quick and everyone was nice, lol!

Oh, the blur of tears through laughter that you have given me this morning! Didn’t you know? Murphy’s Law was created as a result of experience at the DMV!

My license picture is HORRIBLE. They made me take off my glasses (which I wear ALL the time) and my eyes crossed! I look like Sid the Sloth/Chunk from the Goonies. It’s horrible, absolutely horrible!

Kate, I too have been in your boat. The worst part being, in Virginia…you can’t smile. So picture day old hair in a bun, and a toothless smile! I am sure it will look great!

10. Lauren says

I’d love to know what kind of BB cream you tried. I have been on the fence about whether to try one and I have no idea which one to choose.

11. Summer says

Those BB creams…I just don’t get the hype. SO far I’ve tried 2…one was a sample from Birchbox (Dr. Jart, I think??) and one a sample from Sephora (Too Faced). I’m prety sure they were both to blame for a breakout too. And the other thing…I can’t tell that they really do anything at all as far as coverage or evening out. They just make my face feel dirty and I always look so shiny and oily. (<—probably why I seem to break out when I give them a try.) I guess I just don’t get the appeal. I’ll stick to my separate primer, foundation, powder combo I guess. Also, I REALLY need a new DL pic…mine is sooooo old.

Hi Kate! I use BB cream because I have SUPER sensitive skin but I only like the Asian ones. Yep, the skin 79 super bebelesh BB cream (its a pink bottle) is the bestest ever! Also, I live in Tn and the DMV here is like being tortured for hours on end. So, kinda glad its not just here! lol

13. KiShepherd says

Hahaha! I don’t know if it’s this way everywhere, but in Indiana we can’t show our teeth anymore in license pic……really?!?! That’s just ridiculous! My logic is that if I get pulled over I’m gonna give the officer a huge smile so it might as well match my license, right?? Well, I practiced my ‘non-smile’ in the days leading up to said pic….and I still ended up looking like a chipmunk with food in my cheeks…kinda a half smile pissed look! Horrible!

14. Kristen says

At least you were allowed to smile! In Indiana, you can’t, and EVERYONE has a horrible photos. I feel your pain on the DMV in general though–I moved from Indiana to Illinois almost a year ago and still haven’t gotten a new license because they make people who are from different states take the driving test again–even when you are from the state right next door. I am not looking forward to experiencing the DMV in Chicago, that’s for sure–but hopefully Illinois still allows smiling!

• Jaime says

It is terrible. I just went to have my address changed and when they told me I couldn’t smile I was floored. Everyone in Indiana has a terrible license photo- guaranteed. Your bangs can’t touch your eyebrows, either… which was a problem in itself for me.

They told me it had something to do with cheekbone movement and eyebrow movement when smiling and face recognition programs. No idea.

• says

I went to school in Indiana and always heard that you can’t smile on your photo! One of the reasons I never switched my license from Illinois to Indiana. Luckily when I moved to OK I didn’t have to retake the driving test though!

• Kinity says

It’s sad and true! I live in Indiana as well and look like a serial killer in mine! I couldn’t smile, and I was kinda ticked about even needing a new one when my current one had not expired, and I was blindsided on an errand day like yourself, so I was even less happy.
      They gave me a printout of mine, and send the original in the mail, so I knew from the get-go what a hot mess I was. I am not a big drinker, but now I don’t even order a cocktail, ever, because I don’t want to have to be carded and show that thing!

• says

Here in Iowa we ALL look like we are going to kill someone! we aren’t allowed to smile either! I haven’t had to renew my license in years so I will be in for a shock in February when I have to go to the sad place and NOT smile for my picture. I feel your pain Kate! What’s the use of looking great if you can’t even smile!

• says

When I got married, I had to get a new card, and they didn’t let me smile! I was so mad cuz my first card pic was so cute! Now I look mad and murderous! :/ I live in Oregon, so it’s not just Indiana!

• says

Yes! When we moved to Indiana and I had to change over my license I was surprised to find out I couldn’t smile for the license. I think just about everyone’s here in Indiana looks like a mug shot. LOL

Your hair in the old license?!?!?! That is TRUE HAIR DRESSER HAIR RIGHT THERE MY LADY! BIG BIG BIG! TOO FUNNY! You BETTER post that new drivers license. I’m betting it looks fabulous. Because I’ve YET to see a picture where you look bad!

Glad it wasn’t too painful. I have to do the same thing SOON- mine’s expired AND I have the wrong address on it…but I keep putting it off. Hopefully it’ll be as fast as yours!

I had a very similar experience at the DMV here in Nebraska in April. Except I’m a blinker and she didn’t tell me when she was going to take my picture. My eyes are half-closed and it looks like I’m high on something…

My worst picture was 3 months after having my daughter and my face was still very distorted since I gained a lot of weight with her. After waiting an hour the lady snaps the picture and gives me a weird face and says I look scary then says I never take 2 pictures but in this case I will. Oh my goodness it must have been bad. Then she takes the second and I get my Temporary picture I look like a monster with my face distorted. After I lost all my baby weight plus some extra I got a new liscence picture and it looked great best one yet! Oh and at that DMV there is only like 3 people ever there so I was done in 15 minutes.

OHMYGOD I am dying over your old license picture! You look like a news anchor with all that hair :) Hubs has an awesome passport photo from the 80′s where he looks like the unibomber.

19. Christine says

I’m glad at least you had a quick trip!

My worst ever was when I realized my license had expired as I was at the drugstore with my 18-month-old triplets trying to buy infant cold medicine for them (this was when you were still allowed to give cold medicine to infants) after being up most of the night with them due to said colds. So I took three snotty crabby babies to the DMV to get it renewed because the drug store wouldn’t let me buy the cold medicine (it had pseudophedrine in it) with an expired license. Just imagine no makeup, no shower, hair in ponytail, bags under eyes. Lovely. But on the bright side, that picture always turns out awful. At least this time I had a good excuse!

Eh, I always think those cameras are sort of helpful because it never looks super clear. Makes the skin blend better. That being said I look pretty good on my driver’s license (no big deal ;) ). My passport is horrific, but hopefully by the time I need it again, I’ll get a new picture (and go Broadway ready, as someone else dubbed it).

I’m using Dr. Jart’s BB cream and I like it. I don’t think I’m super oily (I do usually put on some powder though). I haven’t broken out and I like the fact that it’s all I need on my skin. Feels lighter than my normal routine of moisturizer, primer, foundation, and powder.

I feel your pain! Ugh, I was supposed to pick up a FedEx package one afternoon and was told “the address on your ID MUST match the address on the package.” We had JUST moved, so before I went to FedEx, I stopped by the tag agency to update my address. I was devastated when they told me I had to take a new picture. My current ID was from right after I got married. I was still super tan from the honeymoon, and super thin from losing weight for the wedding. Let’s face it…I looked good. :) After all of the hassle updating my license, those little snots at FedEx never even asked for proof that I was who I said I was. UGH.

I had always taken nice ID photos until my most recent TX license. It was POURING when I parked and ran in, and of course while waiting an hour my hair poofed into a frizzy mess. lol

I have the same photo from when I first got my license when I was 16. It is a horrible (and I mean horrible) picture! In the picture I am looking out of the corners of my eyes. I wasn’t looking at the camera because my dad called my name right as they took the photo. I should probably get a new photo, but I don’t want to sit at the DMV haha.

This is quite funny! What is it about the DMV? I NEVER have had a happy person AND it always takes an hour – at least!

Glad you had a great experience and I bet your photo looks great!

When I moved to Oklahoma (3 years ago now) I needed to get my license switched from Illinois. Here in OK we have the Dept. of Public Safety and something called a Tag Agency. Its basically just a mess because the DPS always wants you to go the Tag Agency and the Tag Agency always refers you back to the DPS…its a disaster. At any rate, I called ahead and was assured I needed to go to the DPS because I needed documents from them before the Tag Agency could print me a new license. I showed up when they opened. Waited in line for 3 hours only for the horribly rude man behind the counter to tell me he thought my birth certificate was fake. He called to the state headquarters and an “official” had to come down. The “official” also agreed that my birth certificate was fake. It took several calls to the Illinois State Secretary to verify that my birth certificate was indeed real and no, I didn’t print it on my home printer. I spent the entire day at DPS and was completely embarrassed. To top it off for some reason I decided to try doing my hair curly for the first time in forever that day…my drivers license picture makes me look like a spitting image of Shirley Temple now…

Thanks for sharing your great DMV story!!

oh my gosh! I sat at our DMV yesterday too! But I was there from 9:15 until 3:30. I was very thankful that I had taken a good book to read and the man sitting next to me ended up giving me his number which bumped me forward 10 numbers in line!

Love this funny story you posted! I was shocked to see you had dark hair!! my driver license picture still look terrible and it is about 10 years old picture! When we moved I updating the address on their online without replacing license since our new address is in their system. Mine not expired until 2013 I think. That is probably time to replace picture! Eek. Im sure your picture will be fine.

oh I have been there before! think greasy hair, pinned back on the sides with barrettes, and no make-up because I’d been cleaning all day and FORGOTTEN that it was the last day to renew my license. I was so startled they wanted my picture taken, that my smile looks more like I was accidentally farting than trying to strike a pose for the DMV!

You perfectly described a typical DMV experience! I saw someone posted above that you can’t smile in Indiana. You can’t smile in Iowa either… that really takes away the last amount of hope one has for a good picture.

This totally happened to me when we moved! I went to the DMV unshowered and in a hooded sweatshirt with no makeup. It was not pretty when the sweet DMV informed me that I needed to have my photo retaken. My hubby got quite the kick out of it!

I have also had the “Oh gosh- you aren’t really going to make me have my photo taken are you?” moments at the DMV. After I got married, I went in to get my name changed. I woke up at 7 am on a Saturday, because it will take 10 hours at the DMV, so I had to get there early. I was in sweats, wearing glasses, and NO make up, with REALLY bad hair. It is the worst driver’s license photo in history. Seriously. I can’t wait til it expires and I need a new photo. :)

I did the same thing a few weeks ago! i went for and enhanced license ( which is now needed here in NY to get into canada if you do not have a passport) and like you I’m a hair stylist and had “Monday hair” in a pony tail with my bangs pulled back! yuk…so with my light blonde hair and the hologram over it i look bald in the photo!!! My husband and i did however had a good laugh when it came in the mail :-)

Here in WI they will usually re-use your old photo unless it’s close to expiring. I had to get a duplicate license two years ago when I lose my DL on Opening Day of Brewer’s season and they re-used my photo. When I went in after I got married (6 months after, in fact) to change my name and address, I went in prepared.

And I have to say, I love you as a blonde more than brunette.

–Laura

Same thing happened to me…..and I am now stuck with a picture that looks like “dog the bounty hunter” I look like his twin sister and its sad/funny. blech.

good luck!

Can’t smile in Virginia for our lovely DMV pictures! Plus mine always comes due in February at my birthday in the dead of winter…can you say pale?!

Now you know that you really have to post the pic when it comes, right? :-) I really enjoy your blog!

I did the same thing right Fter I got married. I was SO excited to go change my name on my license, that I didn’t even think about getting my photo taken. I went in with a ponytail and NO make up. Thankfully it didn’t turn out too bad. :)

OMG Kate I seriously JUST got back from the DMV an hour ago and read your post. I’m sure you will look beautiful. The lady made me take my pic twice because I was talking during the first one. Nice move. :)

Love the blog!
    Angie
    everafteralways.blogspot.com

LOL! Don’t sweat the small things, Kate! :0) I’m sure you’ll look just fine! Besides, having had the worst picture of my LIFE taken three driver’s licenses ago in which I looked like a mugger/druggie/convict (I kid you NOT), I can assure you, nobody even cares when they look at it!

I haven’t been impressed with the two BB cream I’ve tried either. Not much benefit and my face felt so heavy and was an oil slick.

Ha I had the same thing happen to me — at 7am, wearing a sweatshirt under a winter coat and hair in a gym-style ponytail. I’ve only got 2 more years til it expires!

I’m sure you look great, as always :) And I love your blonde hair too! If I lived where you are I would hope you could be my hairstylist :)
    Now my driver license is horrible! I seriously look topless!! I was wearing a strapless dress, yes dumb idea thinking about it after the fact but I tried to pull the dress as high as I could and it was like the lady tilted the camera up even more! LOL Oh well :)

I like your blonde hair, too.
    My old DL photo was taken shortly after my wedding, at my lightest weight in years, etc. I’m all dressed up for my job, etc.
    Flash back to a couple of years ago when I needed to renew my license. I was literally 9 months pregnant and at my heaviest weight ever. (my son was born 4 days later) It was the end of August in FLorida, so it was HOT 24/7 and I was just melting. I look like I startled cow.

If you’re willing to fork over the money, where I live in Wisconsin if you “lose” your license and need one reprinted, you can talk the people at the desk into a new photo. Just explain that you look so much different now…I think it’s $4 with no changes, around $24 with changes.

44. Anonymous says

I renewed by driver’s license in CA last summer. I had an appt, had all my paper work done, properly filled out. I thought that I would be in and out. I then had to take a new picture, I waited in line for the better part of an hour as they only had one camera person there taking pictures. Finally when it is my turn, she tells me not to smile. I got my new DL a week later and had to laugh as I looked so completely pissed off. Oh, good times at the DMV.

Kate, love your post. I feel less hair envy now as I watch your hair tutorials. Thanks!

45. Brooke says

You look so glamorous as a blonde. In fact after following your blog for the last few months you have inspired me to take more effort in styling my hair and go blonde again. So thank you!! Also I’m in Australia and we get our licenses at the RTA and there is absolutely no smiling or hair falling around your face allowed. You have to look blankly ahead and hope for the best. And you only get one chance. So there have been many ugly license photos for me. I hope yours is better!

I am going to have to request to see your new drivers license photo….

PLEASE OH PLEASE post this online. haha, love this story. You made me laugh and let’s looks on the bright side- you didn’t have to wait 5 hours at the DMV. :)

Lindsay @
    LindsayJEveryday.blogspot.com

Haven’t commented before, but really enjoy your blog. Funny thing is, I went to my own North Carolina DMV yesterday to renew my own license! I did know that I would be taking the picture, so I did what I could; but even then, you just never know. :)

48. BSB says

I bet your picture looks great! Random tip–most NC DMV offices let you make an appointment now, which makes it much easier and quicker.

49. Tammi says

Ugh the Wake County DMV is the worst!! I remember when I moved here 6 years ago and had to register my car then get my new license. I think I will be renewing online when the time comes!

50. Anonymous says

The last time I renewed my license it was a relatively short line and I was fortunate enough to be behind a young girl who was getting her very first license. Clearly she practiced her pose in the mirror with a big smile, and was thrown off by the ‘no teeth smile rule’ so by the sixth picture (you see in PA we have digital photos) the poor thing was almost in tears! I told her to take a poll and see which photo won, everyone in line participated and she was happy with the outcome. She skipped away with her shiny new license. I however had wasted the majority of my lunch hour and rushed through my turn…. my hair is still in motion from standing, my expression is one of pure distain, at least I’m looking forward. 4 years isn’t that long, right?

Regarding the BB makeup, I have dry sensitive skin, and have been told this would be an excellent product to try but I could really use some advice on brands. Thanks, K

51. Anonymous says

This story is hilarious! I once went to the DMV to renew and also didn’t know I would be getting my picture taken. I had my baby with me and no stroller to put her in so I just held her as low as I could while the lady snapped my pic. When my license came you could see the top of my baby girls head in the pic. It always mad me laugh to look at it!

I loved your story! So true! I begged to keep my old photo, but they took it with a wet head pony, just like you mentioned. Oh, it’s almost unrecognizable. She told me to come back when and they’d do it again another time, too. :-/

53. NickiL says

I feel your pain. My last DMV photo was terrible. I knew I couldn’t stand to keep it 8 years. I felt a little vain, but I went back, paid $8 for a new one and have a much better picture that I won’t be embarassed to show for the next 8 years. But I did get to keep the bad one, which I use when I go for a run or bikeride.

54. Karrie says

Yeah, we’re going to see that picture, right?! :) No worries – I’m sure you looked fantastic! At least they were nice and it didn’t take as long. I guess that’s the trade-off, right?

I am sure it is not that bad. You are one of those natural beauties. :) I had my worst – I SAY worst photo for my EPIC 21st birthday renewal … I looked like my brother … and it stayed that way for 3 years, until I got married. Lesson learned … get up and do the makeup and hair thing for the ladies/gents at the DMV.

56. Anonymous says

The SAME thing happened to me, kate!! I went in for an address change with wet hair and they made me get my picture taken again too…Except for mine i was suuuper pregnant and my face was so swollen; add no makeup and wet hair…oh boy. I cried the whole way home! God sure has ways of breaking us and reminding us of what is really important in this life…now I just laugh when I get carded as they stare at the picture. Love your blog, thanks for the laugh today : )-Beth

57. Anonymous says

You made my day!!! We don’t have a DMV in Holland we just go to cityhall and it takes like one hour. But the rules for the picture here are horrible, no glasses, no smile, no bangs over your eyebrows, ears must be seen at al time in the picture so no hair over your ears…..Even with a cute updo and make-up it always will be a horrible picture.
    Miryam

Hahaha! That’s hilarious! Same thing happened with my passport… except I was trying to look good and took forever to prepare for the photo.. and it was TERRIBLE. So so so embarrassing!!

xoxo Vanessa @ He Says Newcastle
    vanessawittmer.blogspot.com

At least you get to smile in your photos!! Here in Iowa we aren’t allowed to smile (not even a smirk) and they don’t like hair on/near your face…so no bangs! And for those of us who have had bangs for…oh…all our lives…not cool.

Its like a mug shot!!!

True story… same exact scenario except I was changing my name on my license after I got married. Well I was DETERMINED to not wait all day and be the first one in line when the doors opened. So I literally rolled out of bed, hair in bun, NorthFace jacket zipped up over my pajamas, tennis shoes, out the door. And I was the first one in line. So I hand the lady my marriage certificate, everything is great, and she tells me to move over to the line for my picture, and I panic, and try to talk her out of it, but no. Of course I had no idea that I would need a new picture for a name change. Well, before she snaps the picture, she says, “Do you know you have some white stuff all over your face?” ZIT CREAM. I didn’t look in the mirror before I left the house and my face is covered in Clearasil. So, yeah, that wasn’t my best moment. :)

61. Sarah O says

Yep, very weird you have to wait 15 days. And I’m sure you still look great! Are you going to post it for our amusement? :)

62. Lee Ann says

Thanks for the reminder. I have to renew my license this month. In Ohio you need to renew every 4 years on your birthday. I can’t believe that you wait 15 days for it. We wait a couple of minutes, then they hand it to you and you’re on your way. Thank goodness I live in small town; I’ve never had to wait more than 10 minutes at the DMV.

You are not alone! The same thing happened to me when I went to change my name on my license after I got married. I clearly wasn’t thinking! Needless to say I am now stuck with the worst picture ever. My sisters and I plan to “lose” our licenses so we can get new pictures taken :)

When I went in to update my license with my name change and address change after I got married, I thought to myself, there is no way they will take another picture. I got a picture taken a year ago. WELLLLLL apparently a name change means you are a new person with a new picture. I had worked out in the morning, and hadn’t showered, so my hair was in a frizzy ponytail and I wasn’t wearing makeup. It was and is awful.

65. Tiffany Wilkerson says

That’s hilarious—and totally sounds like something that would happen to me—mine was almost as bad.. Mine was after working a 12 hour night shift in a hospital…. I should have just stamped on my forehead “exhausted”… and another plus for you—at least you didn’t have to wait long :-) Always a bright and shiny side…

Aw, no pic of the new pic? But you DO look better as a blonde! :)

And apparently the stereotype of southern friendliness is true, even at the good old DMV. I don’t think we can claim the same in Iowa! I am due to update my license when in expires in November. Definitely NOT looking forward to that experience!

Love it! Now tell us all what what BB Cream you were using :) paleease!! I was just about to go out and get some, but I have a pretty good complextion and do not need a break out!

The last time I went to have mine done (you have to take a new pic with every renewal in OK) it was seriously the best picture I’ve ever taken. Bar none. It was like the angels sang on my face.

And the computerized face recognition system wouldn’t accept it. !#@$ When the lady said, sorry we’ll have to take another one I said “But that’s such a fabulous picture of me!” and she said “Well it must look nothing like you.”

FML. ha.